Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games on drugs

deuxhero

Arcane
Katamari. Still a good game "sober" (Booze=sober, other drugs=?).

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
root said:
Why? I was already on the the way out of the trip. It was fairly pleasant, nevertheless.
Then I misunderstood, I was under the impression that you had actually taken them close to the same time, which would be a tremendously stupid waste.
But DXM and MDMA (especially MDMA in street doses, which are rather low) are only really threatening in the very, very high end of the scale. I could be looking at all those things, yes. But the chance of them actually happening to me with less-than-oh-my-god-no-no-aaaargh doses aren't really all that impressive.
This is true when we're talking about the drugs on their own....

...in conjunction it's not quite so simple.

It's a particularly dangerous combo whether you think it is or not. But hey, believe whatever you want.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Well, first there is the fact that they are both competitive for CYP2D6. This means that neither drug will metabolize normally when they are taken in conjunction. This means that they will float around longer and more of each substance will bind than either would normally when taken alone. Not only that, but it means that their metabolites will float around longer too.

Past that, both are serotonin reuptake inhibitors(SRI). Now, while it's generally safe to mix selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors(SSRI) with MDMA(even if it will kill your buzz), it's not good to mix two SRI drugs at once. Normally, this would only be a minor faux pas, but the issue is that the SRI action of DXM is muuuuuuch longer acting than MDMA's. So, while you would normally come down and the serotonin that was released in massive amounts would begin to be reabsorbed by the serotonin transporters, it all just hangs around far longer than it should and oxidizes into hydrogen peroxide in much larger amounts than would otherwise occur 'normally.' This problem is doubly exacerbated by the aforementioned enzyme competition.

Those are the two biggies.

Beyond that, both drugs have stimulant properties, both drugs cause vasoconstriction, both drugs raise blood pressure, and both drugs raise heart rate. This normally isn't a big deal, but given the properties mentioned above, it can turn into a nasty accident more easily than most people think.

Cocaine and MDMA is probably the only combo I can think of that's worse, because cocaine almost entirely blocks uptake by both serotonin and dopamine transporters.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
root said:
I see. That is interesting, and I will have more questions for you when I am sober enough to formulate them, but thanks for the info.

For now, I have only one: Most SSRIs are also CYP2D6 inhibitors, yes? Along with some antibiotics (rifampicin comes to mind) and suchlike. I take escitalopram daily, and I have never felt anything specially bizarre when combining it with other drugs (apart from the obvious blunting of LSD buzz). you think this could be dangerous in a general way (say, 2% chance of major side effects and general fucking-upness), or is it reasonably safe?
CYP2D6 inhibition resultant from Lexapro is extremely weak, so you should be entirely okay with doses of DXM under 10mg/kg, and okay to take pretty much any dose of LSD imaginable. The only negative interaction I've heard of between LSD and an SSRI was a piece of anecdotal evidence where somebody experienced renal impairment as a result of mixing fluoxetine and LSD.

Lexapro is just going to kill your buzz when it comes to MDMA though. At least, that's the most typical reaction. Whether or not it increases the risk of neurotoxicity in a significant manner is still highly debated.

Though, based off anecdotal evidence gathered from others and my own experiences, using recreational drugs in conjunction with psychiatric medication even more strongly brings into question their efficacy than usual. I will not advise any particular course of action, but I would recommend that you think very carefully about just how much good the psych meds are doing you.

roll-a-die

Magister
Fucking junkies. That's all I'll say, with my 10 year badge on my keys.

As to games, psychonauts would be good for tripping out. Katamari has a PS 3 release I believe. If you can find it synesthesia is pretty good. I will second aaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaAA.

As for things to watch, Fantasia was a favorite of mine. FLCL would probably be good. Animaniacs would be too.

roll-a-die

Magister
Dead Leaves probably. Which japanese Animaniacs the movie with a fairly good english dub. Seriously google it.

LazyD

Liturgist
I watch a shit ton of 'Tim and Eric Awesome show! Great job!' When I'm baked.

Then again I'm starting to feel like a straight edge after reading the past few posts... I guess it's not my fault though. If I lived in a major city.. Or not even.. Just somewhere thats not an isolated island. I'd probably would have more then 5 acid trips under my belt.

Then again I can't count how many times I've ate mushrooms.

From what it sounds like you guys like to roll a lot. Ever think of how many/how large the holes are in ur brian?

I love shrooms and pot and Tim and Eric. :~( I used to get drunk and take ambien, but it made me write weird e-mails and got me banned from every forum so I had to stop, aww.

I can't get any shrooms lately though, and I hear LSD's better, but. <:/

I wish I could get cocaine, that would be fun! :D

but anyhow >:B

The best experiences I've had on games while high haven't been when I played something visually complex that awed me, but instead when I played games with neat atmospheres, good stories, or funny jokes.

I can't stand Audiosurf or whatever when I'm high, actually. <:/ Seems like it would be the perfect game to be stoned for, but the controls are just too frustratingly laggy and I really don't think that the track generator does a very good job of turning my songs into levels. :P

There was this one crazy Russian game that has you wandering around in a creepy city* - that was one of the better ones I've played while high. But generally I prefer stuff like adventure games or 4X when I'm stoned; adventure for the humor and puzzles (does being high make them easier or harder?, I don't think I know) and 4X because micromanaging ceases to be boring when stoned. :B

I tried playing COD:MW2 last time I was high, and I just couldn't get into it - the fights were fucking chaotic, I couldn't get a handle on the situation. Vietcong 1/2 and Red Orchestra Ostfront were a lot more fun, since as a result of more realistic ballistics spray-and-pray is less common.

But the best is just playing something like, "A Mind Forever Voyaging," or "Day of the Tentacle," or "Cosmology of Kyoto."

but maybe i'd change my mind if i got some more shrooms again :B

As for just-watching-stuff, I like watching old movies from the 30's-50's when I'm high, but I'm the only person I know of who does that so it's probably wrong. :(

* - yeah, every russian game is pretty much like that, i know

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never knew the codex was so extreme that people are resorting to drugs to play games now.
An indication of the current state of gaming.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
SCO said:
I never knew the codex was so extreme that people are resorting to drugs to play games now.
An indication of the current state of gaming.
Yeah, you know. I can't get by even just opening MS Paint without smoking at least twelve spliffs. I can't imagine how much cocaine these other poor sods need to snort just to play Vampire Bloodlines, or X-Com or something.

a budda

Arbiter
forgotmypasswordagain said:
because micromanaging ceases to be boring when stoned

TB is brilliant on weed,
though:

racing/rally games i approach only with weed, gets you to concentrate
shooters are ok too, though a WWII setting is the way to go then

oblivion/fo3 were still unplayable on weed, goes on to tell you what they really are :roll:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Drugs are like piracy, in a way. You remove nothing from... oh never mind.

dr. one

Augur
Orgasm said:
Anything on acid.

pretty much, especially when it comes to first person affairs.

i´ve tried playing through the goblin area near the start of Arx Fatalis on acid and the feeling of being there was really strong. after a while i got so scared shitless by those goblins screaming "humaaan" i had to quit :). very immersionesque.
i wonder how the crypts would go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom