Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games to play before you die..

Recommend games to anyone before they die in codex

• "Those Who Live In Death Should Be Well Left Alone" ...

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • "Ignorance is alive and well, it seems. Not all deep gnomes reside in the Underdark! "

• "The World doesn't care about right or wrong."

• "Should you be alive, if it's even possible to continue to exist in these sealed lands"

• "Welcome to my world, insect."

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • "Let the games begin!"

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • "Thou shalt burn in hellfire for eternity"

• "We aren't sure how you've done it, but you are hereby promoted to the prestigious rank of Rear Admi

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • "Uh... surrender foul creature! Submit or die foolish human!"

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • None of the above. Everyone go die in peace.

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
playing shoot em ups for hours/days/weeks on end is an easy autism diagnosis
Yep.
Playing Bethesda games is an easy retard diagnosis.
I would rather play Skyrim for 500 hours than grind the same 5 levels of a shmup for the same amount
That's because you're a Bethestard.
Don't feel bad though, you're in good company, most goyim share your sentiment.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Jürgen

Literate
Some of us find certain rules a bit more interesting to play than others so I see no need to have a list that contains everything.
Great games can surprise someone's sensibilities so a "try before you die" should contain all major genres. And posing that all games are a set of rules.....sure but that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Appreciate the explanation; taking that approach to a list such as this does make sense.

Falksi

Arcane
I probably wouldn't include any shmups either. G-Darius maybe. Recommend me your fav shmup to change my mind, though I doubt it will manage to.

I'm surprised that you, as a gameplayfag, don't like shmups. They'd probably be about 15% of my top100.
Batsugun, Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2, Raiden Fighters titles, DoDonPachi, DDP DOJ, Mushihimesama, Mushi Futari, Ketsui...
(you can probably tell I don't like horis)
I don't dislike them per-se. As mentioned, G-Darius might make my top 100 of all time list to play before you die. Probably not but I am a fan. I appreciate that they are focused on challenge unlike that other soyboy, It's just they are dead simple, and therefore lack depth. They are wholly on rails, there's very few mechanics, level design isn't diverse enough. You run out of credits and you gotta go through the same motions again with very little divergence. They're repetitive and shallow is my experience with them - that's fine, there is a place for that for sure (e.g playing in brief stints at the arcade), but of the pool I played, I can't rightfully value them alongside deeper, more satisfying games of which there are far more than 100. I still respect that they are gameplayfag games and purely focused on being a game...but maybe I just need to play more of them, as I don't even recognize most of those titles you mentioned.

Also as a gameplayfag, I still value secondary elements of a game a lot - mood, atmosphere, story, music. And it is those elements along with its more diverse gameplay (branching levels, enemy captures etc) that make me rate G-darius quite highly. But again, I don't know the genre THAT well as I was turned off after playing what essentially felt like the same boring dead simple game each time I gave the genre a chance. There was so damn many shmups back in the day. Look at this shit, over 70 on the Mega Drive/Genesis alone! Perhaps I got unlucky and only stumbled upon the shit ones IDK.

I grew up in the 90s, absolute golden age and when games were frequently offering significantly more gameplay depth than this on rails dead simple repetitive 80s arcade standard, in addition to branching out more than ever with the aforementioned secondary elements. Shmups gradually got left behind. Give me the clear best shmup that isn't dead simple mobile gaming-tier gameplay depth and I'll emulate it right now.

Dude, I really don't think you get SHMUPs.

Eliminate Down is a great place to start. It's multi-shot mechanic gives you a small taste of how SMHUPS have depth. You aren't beating that game straight unless you dig deep and learn the ins and outs of it.

Honestly, I'm not joking when I say some SHMUPs are deep as fuck. It can be a barrage of puzzle like moments coming at you all at once. When you really get to know these games, they can be like a Zelda game condensed into 30-60 minutes.

You are not beating Inbachi if you don't study her to the max....

SHMUP bosses are what Soulslike bosses aspire to be. If you've never 1CC'd any of these games or played their harder levels, you've never really played them. It's like when someone who plays Chrono Trigger dismisses CRPGs, chances are they just haven't "got" them yet.

Lucumo

Educated
Some of us find certain rules a bit more interesting to play than others so I see no need to have a list that contains everything.
Great games can surprise someone's sensibilities so a "try before you die" should contain all major genres. And posing that all games are a set of rules.....sure but that doesn't get anyone anywhere.
I view it more from the perspective of people who haven't played any games at all and as such a list should contain all genres, really unique games/experiences and the best of the best.

The question is whether the approach is theoretical (the issue of whether a gaming system/appropriate TV is available or whether an online community still exists is completely irrelevant) or practical aka seeing it from the current perspective which would mean that basically all MMORPG experiences from the past are no longer available. There is also the matter I addressed with Pokemon where one would appreciate the second generation more if one had played the first and Yellow more if one had watched the anime. Similarly, playing a later Yakuza game would obviously be a worse experience if one doesn't know what happened in previous games. And what about cultural relevance? GTA games would be basically worthless for Asians while the Yakuza games are not and got content cut for a Western release.

Jürgen

Literate
I view it more from the perspective of people who haven't played any games at all and as such a list should contain all genres, really unique games/experiences and the best of the best.

The question is whether the approach is theoretical (the issue of whether a gaming system/appropriate TV is available or whether an online community still exists is completely irrelevant) or practical aka seeing it from the current perspective which would mean that basically all MMORPG experiences from the past are no longer available. There is also the matter I addressed with Pokemon where one would appreciate the second generation more if one had played the first and Yellow more if one had watched the anime. Similarly, playing a later Yakuza game would obviously be a worse experience if one doesn't know what happened in previous games. And what about cultural relevance? GTA games would be basically worthless for Asians while the Yakuza games are not and got content cut for a Western release.

Good points here I thought. Impossible to replicate some experiences. I suppose there are fan projects and remakes but those (especially the latter) may differ wildly from the original. There's also age and other surrounding conditions that add something to a person experiencing a game. Some things just cannot be recaptured. (This also just might be overthinking about the whole thing.)

beardalaxy

Novice
>Top 100 games

This image is a little bit outdated, since I've gone through and moved some things around and added a couple new games I've played, but it's mostly accurate. I didn't actually do this all manually btw, I put in the list of a lot of my favorite games into a tool that pits 1 list item VS another list item and does that until you finally have your top 100. Games of note that are missing from this list are Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Tears of the Kingdom, and Mario 3D World. I recently played through Super Lucky's Tale and added it to the list as well, so yeah everything below 96 is gone.
140497787966e27e.png

If I really had to give one or two games that I thought everyone should play before they died though, instead of just shitting out a list of all of my favorite games to them... that's a bit tough. It's not like I can just say my favorite few games because I realize my tastes are kind of fucking weird.

For the most general audience, I'd probably say Super Mario Bros 3 or Mario 64. For my personal recommendation despite it being less approachable, I'd probably go with Silent Hill 2 or maybe even Chrono Trigger.
You're on the wrong forum.
I know I don't like RPGs nearly as much as half the people here, you can probably thank FF13 for that lol. Looking to get back into them soon, because I've been thinking more about stuff like Chrono Cross, Ni No Kuni, and Star Ocean looks pretty cool too. I just bought a Vita so I think I'm gonna' try out some of the portable Phantasy Star games. I'm also developing an RPG which is why this site was recommended to me in the first place haha, plus I just like talking about games in general!

Plus, I've got a few RPGs on here anyway :)

Any personal recommendations? What should I play before I die? xD

Falksi

Arcane
>Top 100 games

This image is a little bit outdated, since I've gone through and moved some things around and added a couple new games I've played, but it's mostly accurate. I didn't actually do this all manually btw, I put in the list of a lot of my favorite games into a tool that pits 1 list item VS another list item and does that until you finally have your top 100. Games of note that are missing from this list are Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Tears of the Kingdom, and Mario 3D World. I recently played through Super Lucky's Tale and added it to the list as well, so yeah everything below 96 is gone.
140497787966e27e.png

If I really had to give one or two games that I thought everyone should play before they died though, instead of just shitting out a list of all of my favorite games to them... that's a bit tough. It's not like I can just say my favorite few games because I realize my tastes are kind of fucking weird.

For the most general audience, I'd probably say Super Mario Bros 3 or Mario 64. For my personal recommendation despite it being less approachable, I'd probably go with Silent Hill 2 or maybe even Chrono Trigger.
I know I don't like RPGs nearly as much as half the people here, you can probably thank FF13 for that lol. Looking to get back into them soon, because I've been thinking more about stuff like Chrono Cross, Ni No Kuni, and Star Ocean looks pretty cool too. I just bought a Vita so I think I'm gonna' try out some of the portable Phantasy Star games. I'm also developing an RPG which is why this site was recommended to me in the first place haha, plus I just like talking about games in general!

What you've got listed there is mostly mainstream stuff which screams "casual gaming". Chrono Trigger is a great example of a beginner RPG which any self-respecting player can appreciate but should really have moved past once they're not noobs to gaming any more. I'd personally suggest these to expand your scope:

- Deus Ex
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Phantasy Star 4
- Thunderforce 3
- Link To The Past (probably start with this. It's the most casual and fits in with your current selection the most so far)
- The Secret of Monkey Island 1 through 3
- Streets of Rage 1 through 4
- Morrowind (with "better NPCs mod")
- X-Com '94
- Hellfire
- MUSHA Aleste
- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Persona 5 Royal
- Dark Souls
- Nioh 2
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Comix Zone
- The Immortal (SEGA Megadrive version is my preferred one)
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Planescape Torment
- Pacman
- Missile Command
- Afterburner 2
- Doom
- Hexen 2
- Quake 2
- Half Life
- Lunar 1 & 2
- Final Fight CD/Arcade
- Contra 3 & Hard Corps
- Actraiser
- Starflight
- Underrail
- Avernum: Escape From The Pit

Not only a ton of quality there, but stuff that will broaden your scope too. You will have to put effort in to get the most from those games, but it's worth it.

VerSacrum

Educated

Why?
Other than ranking Elex 2 above the original that's a pretty typical PB game ranking.

Yeah, my bad, actually seems about right. Seems like I skipped to 8:50 where Gothic 3 appears in S. Personally I'd rank Gothic 1 above 2 because of how unique the setting and the faction dynamics where. Replacing this with dragons and paladins was decline, despite the finetuning of the mechanics and character progression in 2.

>Top 100 games

140497787966e27e.png

What you've got listed there is mostly mainstream stuff which screams "casual gaming". Chrono Trigger is a great example of a beginner RPG which any self-respecting player can appreciate but should really have moved past once they're not noobs to gaming any more. I'd personally suggest these to expand your scope:

- Deus Ex
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Phantasy Star 4
- Thunderforce 3
- Link To The Past (probably start with this. It's the most casual and fits in with your current selection the most so far)
- X-Com '94
- Hellfire
- MUSHA Aleste
- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Persona 5 Royal
- Dark Souls
- Nioh 2
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Comix Zone
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Planescape Torment
- Pacman
- Missile Command
- Afterburner 2
- Doom
- Hexen 2
- Quake 2
- Half Life
- Lunar 1 & 2
- Final Fight CD/Arcade
- Contra 3 & Hard Corps
- Actraiser
- Starflight
- Underrail

Not only a ton of quality there, but stuff that will broaden your scope too. You will have to put effort in to get the most from those games, but it's worth it.

Ease the fuck up. You’re all like:

Oh hey, that shit is super fucking casual dude, have you heard of a little game called Pac-Man? You ever hear of Doom?

The way you’re coming off is just really funny. Is Pac-Man good? Yeah. It’s great. The original is fantastic. Pac-Man Championship Edition is one of the best games ever made. But, it’s also like one of the biggest video games ever made. There’s like two decades where even people that never played a game played Pac-Man. It’s definitely a far bigger and well known game than Chrono Trigger. And Chrono Trigger is pretty great too.

You’re getting on someone’s case for mainstream stuff (who gives a shit?) and then you tell them to play a bunch of mainstream stuff.

Falksi

Arcane
>Top 100 games

140497787966e27e.png

- Deus Ex
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Phantasy Star 4
- Thunderforce 3
- X-Com '94
- Hellfire
- MUSHA Aleste
- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Persona 5 Royal
- Dark Souls
- Nioh 2
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Comix Zone
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Planescape Torment
- Pacman
- Missile Command
- Afterburner 2
- Doom
- Hexen 2
- Quake 2
- Half Life
- Lunar 1 & 2
- Final Fight CD/Arcade
- Contra 3 & Hard Corps
- Actraiser
- Starflight
- Underrail

Ease the fuck up. You’re all like:

Oh hey, that shit is super fucking casual dude, have you heard of a little game called Pac-Man? You ever hear of Doom?

The way you’re coming off is just really funny. Is Pac-Man good? Yeah. It’s great. The original is fantastic. Pac-Man Championship Edition is one of the best games ever made. But, it’s also like one of the biggest video games ever made. There’s like two decades where even people that never played a game played Pac-Man. It’s definitely a far bigger and well known game than Chrono Trigger. And Chrono Trigger is pretty great too.

You’re getting on someone’s case for mainstream stuff (who gives a shit?) and then you tell them to play a bunch of mainstream stuff.
Selective reading on your part, 90% of that list really isn't casual stuff now. There is the odd game in there, but like I say it's wide-scope to give people a taste of everything.

Early gaming should be represented, and most of those games are gonna be mainstream because there was little else. I'd say my quick-fire list is still nicely balanced.

Just learn to contextualize and you'll understand it. And it was just a quick-fire list. If I were to sit down and do a proper 101 it may look very different. Again, context of someone answering a question on a forum and taking hours to make a video on it.

beardalaxy

Novice
>Top 100 games

140497787966e27e.png

- Deus Ex
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Phantasy Star 4
- Thunderforce 3
- X-Com '94
- Hellfire
- MUSHA Aleste
- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Persona 5 Royal
- Dark Souls
- Nioh 2
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Comix Zone
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Planescape Torment
- Pacman
- Missile Command
- Afterburner 2
- Doom
- Hexen 2
- Quake 2
- Half Life
- Lunar 1 & 2
- Final Fight CD/Arcade
- Contra 3 & Hard Corps
- Actraiser
- Starflight
- Underrail

Just because a game isn't on my top 100 list doesn't mean I haven't played it or don't enjoy it! I've played Pacman, Doom, Contra, ALttP, Dark Souls, but didn't like them enough. A game being mainstream doesn't necessarily mean it's bad either, especially if it is an older title. I have a fair amount of indie games on there, mostly because I like how inventive they are while being relatively simple and smaller in scope. There are a lot of games on there that are real hidden gems, like NeoDash and Dust. You can also probably tell I grew up with Nintendo so I haven't played many of the classic games from Sega, PS, or even Xbox.

Half Life is on there at #51. I liked it a lot, way more than Half Life 2. I still need to play Blue Shift, I've heard it's pretty good. I am interested in playing Black Mesa as well. If not just to see the remade Xen. I didn't actually play HL (or any Valve game for that matter) until 2020, because I didn't grow up with a PC. So I am definitely broadening my horizons over time.

I did try to play Morrowind a little while ago and it just didn't gel with me very well. I think the UI was the main issue. I've no doubt it would be rewarding if I trudged through it, but with so many games out there I just can't find the time to do that. I feel that way with a fair amount of games out there, even really classic ones.

As far as games I'm interested in playing eventually, Deus Ex definitely tops the list. It has been on my backlog for a while now. I really like the setting and the premise. New games just keep coming out that take my attention first! I'm still getting around to a lot of the classic PC games. I've played Castlevania 1-3 and SotN too, but haven't gotten to the others. I'm sure I'd like Bloodlines, just gotta' be in the right mood for it. I'm also interested in Yakuza and Persona, but it's a matter of how much time I want to spend playing a game versus how much value I think I'll get out of it versus something else I might be more interested in, even if only at the time.

Thanks for the recommendations though! There are some solid titles in there. I haven't heard of a few of them, I'll have to check them out to see if they strike my fancy.

Ash

Arcane
:whatho:

Your list reads to me as the ultimate troll list. Even game journalists often produce more agreeable lists than this. Well played, Sir.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Starfield. You can pass on knowing that dying isn't the worst thing that happened to you.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Check out my signature for a good list.
Witcher 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2...bro for an ancient gamer I kind of expect some solid standards to have been formed. Sad!
Reading comprehension check failed.

Btw, I was referring to this mega-list series of mine:

Games worth playing, Vol. I -- 1977-1985
Games worth playing, Vol. II -- 1986-1988
Games worth playing, Vol. III -- 1989-1990
Games worth playing, Vol. IV -- 1991-1992
Games worth playing, Vol. V -- 1993-1994
Games worth playing, Vol. VI -- 1995-1997

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom