Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot somewhat more critical of Bloodlines

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
Blame Troika on that. Afterall, THEY advertised it as a FPS/RPG. Hell, they did so on this very site. :roll:

Is this your new one-trick pony?

It's a little spiffier than the last one, but hell, that's damning with faint praise.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Freethis said:
I love the quests, the daughters Janus was great, especially the haunted hotel which managed to make me squeal like a little girl more times than it managed to kill me. Auspex is supposed to work by showing you all creatures, living and dead, in your proximity, but I used it like a flashlight in the haunted hotel more than a few times just keep me from freaking out.

I love the hotel. It's my favorite game level since the Glow. I was so chickenshit with all the spooky things that I forgot about Auspex. Stupid me. :D

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Volourn said:
"You're such a fucking cunt, Volourn. I like to give people a hard time on the 'Codex in good/vicious humor, but seriously, I detest you."

R00fles!

I apologize for stealing your rubber doll girlfirend, sleeping with your sister, and cooking your mother while your father watch. This is my humble apology.

And you didn't even have the courtesy to give his dog a reach-around?

Mendoza

Liturgist
I've now got my copy, it's taunting me from the other side of the desk, making me wish I'd taken the day off. And I've still got Half Life 2 to complete. I'm being spoilt.

Has anyone who's played through the haunted hotel also played the Cradle level in Thief 3? That was pretty spooky (as abandoned nurseries/insane asylums tend to be), and I was wondering how the two stacked up against each other.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Is this your new one-trick pony?"

Don't blame me for posting undisputable facts.

"And you didn't even have the courtesy to give his dog a reach-around?"

Eh. Oops. I forgot. Must be my ADD acting up again. :D :roll:

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
I think the overal dissent against it stems from the expectations people have in regards to firstperson combat. I didn't liked the presentation of it in Deus Ex and Morrowind, and apparently I won't be enjoying it that much in Bloodlines. Pretty interesting is that Bloodlines is getting the shaft in something that Deus Ex also had problems with, but one was Game of the Year and all, and the other gets piles of complaints. I've been saying for a long time that it's not very intuitive to combine character stats and player reflexes under a firstperson framework as that PoV is not only generally focused on twitch skills, players themselves have certain expectations of what happens in firstperson as opposed to, lets say, isometric or thirdperson. I do like it that character skills are taken into account in combat in a CRPG (always have), but this kind of combination usually sucks. It sucked in Deus Ex, sucked in Morrowind, and apparently it sucks in Bloodlines (although it would seem Troika did some tweaks to it, which is nice).

I understand what you mean, but I've always enjoyed first-person shooters where statistics played a part, like in the original Hidden and Dangerous. I think the only way for FPS' to evolve is to continue down that road of including realistic experience limits on what the character you're controlling is capable of. Why should some Joe off the street be able to shoot as well as a seasoned Special Ops guy just because the player is in control? Although I hated combat in Morrowind, but I think that was more because of the way it was implemented. The repetitive monsters didn't help.

If I'm going to have to settle for real-time combat in RPGs, I'd rather it be twitchy, so at least my reflexes are stimulated if my mind isn't going to be. As long as it's not just an over-simplified click-fest, like Diablo, DS, or Sacred. That's why I liked combat in both the Gothics; it at least made you feel like you had some control over the characters movement, and direct control over your weapons. First person-perspectives really add to the immersion in these types of games IMO too.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Go back and play the best RPG ever known as TOEE.

Keep up the trolling though.

When did I say this? Even gromnir has stated the facts, that I said the story would be ass before it came out. I like the combat so sue me you putz!

As for trolling... N00b!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Even gromnir has stated the facts,"

Am I supposed to care about this comment AT ALL? I really don't other than to point out its ludicrousness.

"that I said the story would be ass before it came out. I like the combat so sue me you putz!"

That's my point. We all know TB Combat = RPG. Therefore, if you think TOEE has the best tb combat you think its the best RPG.

Game over.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I happen to like the combat, too. It's a lot better than anything we've seen in real time/twitch-based first or third person RPGs, including Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Gothic 1/2 and ESPECIALLY Morrowind.

It's a wonder why nobody ever made a fuss about Deus Ex or Morrowind's combat. Deus Ex's combat was pretty atrocious. The animations were nonexistent, there was no visible 'kickback' upon impact, etc; whereas in Bloodlines, you feel the full force of your weapon afflicting the targets you strike.

The melee combat is very pleasing, and satisfying, because not only do you get to see people damaged, you get to kick them around and throw them into walls, too. Best of all, there's no fuss with the 'dodge' key. Gothic really annoyed me that way.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It was a hyperbole. What I meant to say (if you were smart, you'd have understood) was that most people, especially the reviewers, didn't make any fuss about it. All people seem to do these days is make a huge god damn fuss about the combat in Bloodlines. It's an RPG, for fucks sakes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"All people seem to do these days is make a huge god damn fuss about the combat in Bloodlines. It's an RPG, for fucks sakes."

That is noe xuse. To be a good RPG; you need a good combat system and fun combat. period. I should only want to avoid combat because its my character's chocie; not because the combat sucks.

Idiot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Explain Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Divine Divinity, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Wizardry series, Might and Magic series, Fallout Tactics, KOTOR, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hahaha. You are an idiot. I will respond to your retardedness when you post intelligently again. ie. When the BL phase goes away as it is obviously clouding your mind.

Next.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I'm enjoying the combat in Bloodlines. So far I think it's more fun than any of the games that Exitium mentioned.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I happen to like the combat, too. It's a lot better than anything we've seen in real time/twitch-based first or third person RPGs, including Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Gothic 1/2 and ESPECIALLY Morrowind.

I really agree with this. It's actually a lot of fun, if anything -- especially with the inclusion of the rag doll physics. I was worried when, on GameFAQs, people were using the term "wonky" to describe the combat, but I don't feel it is.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
dipdipdip said:
I was worried when, on GameFAQs, people were using the term "wonky" to describe the combat, but I don't feel it is.

People on GameFAQs can be quoted as saying Final Fantasy 7 was the best RPG ever made for any platform, and that realtime with pause is the exact same a turnbased, that Brotherhood of Steel for consoles was excellent because of two-player control and 'guns an' shit', and that Baldur's Gate had the most faithful adaptation of D&D rules.

Do you need more reasons to not listen to most of them? :razz:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Baldur's Gate had the most faithful adaptation of D&D rules."

It did 'til NWN and then later TOEE came out.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Baldur's Gate had the most faithful adaptation of D&D rules."

It did 'til NWN and then later TOEE came out.

No, I'm talking of (thankfully rare) cases of people who claimed this even after ToEE came out.

triCritical

Erudite
IMO games should do best what they make you do the most. For instance, in an action RPG, the best aspect of the game should be the combat. Considering that everyone and their proverbial uncle stated out ToEE is a hack and slash with no story, why is it such a leap to say that the game had merits due to its combat, even though the story was not first rate. Hell then again, I am not a big fan of story driven games and normally do not play them.

Likewise with Bloodlines, why are people so upset about the combat. Lets see you have combat stats, I would be pretty upset if they were useless and the game just played out like HL2. See in HL2 there are no combat stats, its just my mouse and hand. In Bloodlines you have a firearm stat, that should determine your ability to hit targets. It would be one thing to say that they should not have used the HL2 engine, but another to say that there approach is wrong. I have not played the game but I would not dog the philisophical approach taken in Bloodlines.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Combat in Bloodlines is a blast. I really dig it. Melee can bring much gratification at times. Well, except when I accidentally click mouse button while trying to talk with someone.

Did that to the guy in the diner. He morphed and kicked my ass like there was no tomorrow. Ooops. >.>

Spazmo

Erudite
What I hate is when I right click instead of hitting E. It's okay. I didn't want that blood or anything, and activating my celerity 2 and breaking the Masquerade is just gravy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No, I'm talking of (thankfully rare) cases of people who claimed this even after ToEE came out."

They're not important.

Shevek

Arcane
Spazmo said:
What I hate is when I right click instead of hitting E. It's okay. I didn't want that blood or anything, and activating my celerity 2 and breaking the Masquerade is just gravy.

At first, I had this issue too. I got used to it though. Couldnt you just remap the keys?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom