Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot somewhat more critical of Bloodlines

Spazmo

Erudite
Nah, they work where they are. I just need to get used to it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Just remap the damn keys. It's standard FPS configuration. E for use, Right Click for Secondary Fire.

While Spazmo isn't making a fuss about this I'll be willing to bet that some fuckhead will jump on this as another one of "Bloodlines' biggest issues".

Gromnir

Liturgist
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/readers.html

is noteworthy that over 50% of scores for vampires is perfect 10s. that not strike anybody as strange?

compare to other games liked by public.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout/readers.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursg ... aders.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursgate/readers.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwa ... aders.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/planesca ... aders.html

if you not suspect shenanigans, then you is more foolish than even Gromnir suspected. heck, even when one discounts fact that so many of those perfect 10s came before game hit store shelves, the implausible number of perfect scores should make you question the validity of the reader's responses... but some of you would rather simply accept what you wish to believe.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir

Liturgist
it is quite obviously NOT like that for every game. however, if you can show a trend in recent games of abnormally high numbers of perfect scores, that should only further convince you that something is wrong with the way the reader polls is tabulated... but you continue to stab yourself in the eye with occam's razor.

yutz.

HA! Good Fun!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You should also take not at the surprising number of "Abysmal" ratings, which means that they gave the game a 1.0. See now if everyone decided to rate any game at what they felt it deserved (e.g. 8.5) the number would likely drop to 6.0 or lower given the number of 'Abysmal' ratings.

It would be asinine if GameSpot weighted the scores the same way IMDB did. You'd get good movies like The Godfather with ratings like '7 stars' inspite of its high end reviews, even though that movie is arguably the best movie of all time.

Spazmo

Erudite
Even if the number of perfect 10s is disproportionate (and likely not caused by one person rating the game 10 again and again as GameSpot must have some sort of safeguard in place to protect against that), isn't the high rating still indicative of general public approval for the game? And hell, let's just assume for a moment that every one of the perfect 10s is one guy who is exploiting the system and we'll just discard all of the "perfects". There's still only 20% that rate the game below "great" and only 9% of ratings are in the "absymal" range. So isn't the rating still indicative of general public approval for Bloodlines? Yeah, the numbers are bizarre, but I'd still say they generally suggest that people are liking Bloodlines.

All this is, of course, putting aside the issue of the relevance of public approval.

Gromnir

Liturgist
heck, one suspects that a substantial number of the abysmal scores were posted as a reaction to the impossible number of perfect scores. for chrissakes... throw out EVERY abysmal score and an equal number of perfect scores and you STILL end up with an aberration too great to accept as reasonable... but you keep fighting 'gainst plausibility... you keep insisting that the method gamespot uses results in an accurate indicator of consumer opinion in light of obvious anomalies? to what end? simply stubbornness?

keep posting… we can only hope that some others here agree with you and your conclusions.

HA! Good Fun!

Spazmo

Erudite
Upon reflection, it seems that user ratings on GameSpot or anywhere else are completely irrelevant to anything and everything. It only really gives you a grossly inaccurate idea of what those people who played the game thought of it. When you look at Icewind Dale 2, which averages at 8.4/10 despite being awful and selling like a big box of plague, it really becomes clear. Okay, so GameSpot readers that have played Bloodlines seem to like the game--but as I think Gromnir might be trying to say (I'm not sure if he has a point beyond just disagreeing with Rex), it doesn't really mean a damn thing any which way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'd still say they generally suggest that people are liking Bloodlines."

This is the basic thing from what I've seen so far. Most people who have played BL like the game. Period. Despite any faults it may or may not have. That's the bottom line 'cause the gamers said so.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Gamespot requires registration to vote for one thing - and while there's way to much 1's and 10's - the result should be pretty much the same, as they basically cancel each other. Also, there's 22 actual WRITTEN reviews - which is pretty many as far as I can see. As with any game, I conclude that not all of them (written or numerical) are actually based on gameplay experience - but simple fanboyism don't make that kind of scores. Troika doesn't HAVE those kind of fanboy numbers going loco AFAIK.

Edit: Also worth noting that Gamespots 3rd most popular game based on user activity on any platform currently is Bloodlines.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
And 2nd most popular for PCs, just next to Half Life. The coverage this game is getting is phenomenal. The "Ships Ahoy!" post on BluesNews was one of the more active threads, with over 100 replies. You'll only see that with popular games.

Lomer

Liturgist
Gromnir,

Why don’t you just give your own opinion on the game? I think many people will be interested to have a review from the most famous Troika basher on the web :lol: . As far as I remember you totally despised Arcanum and hated ToEE, though liked the potential of its combat engine. Or maybe you are yet to purchase the game waiting for more reviews to come out? Based on the abundance of positive reviews from both professional sites and customers, I would say that this would be a rather safe purchase for you :wink: .

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, I wouldn't mind reading a review by Gromnir. It'd be a lot better than anything Hades could come up with, that much is certain. Hades claims he won't be buying the game because it's made by Troika. I wonder how long he'll keep the farce up before he goes out and buys himself a copy of Bloodlines like the weak, insipid craven that he is.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind reading a review by Gromnir. It'd be a lot better than anything Hades could come up with, that much is certain.

A cat, tied to a stick, driven into frozen winter shit, running on steroids, would do a better review than Hades. That's saying a lot.

Lomer

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind reading a review by Gromnir. It'd be a lot better than anything Hades could come up with, that much is certain. Hades claims he won't be buying the game because it's made by Troika. I wonder how long he'll keep the farce up before he goes out and buys himself a copy of Bloodlines like the weak, insipid craven that he is.

I was really surprised that Visceris didn’t pre-order it :) . But I am betting his forbearance will not last long. And yeah, a review from Gromnir couldn’t be that bad (though I rarely share his opinion on Troika’s games). His review of KOTOR was just awesome.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lomer said:
Why don’t you just give your own opinion on the game? I think many people will be interested to have a review from the most famous Troika basher on the web.

I'm not interested.

Spazmo

Erudite
I don't think Gromnir actually has opinions on things. Rather, it seems he defines himself by taking the opinions of others, reversing them and then arguing them in his bizarre pirate chatter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Troika doesn't HAVE those kind of fanboy numbers going loco AFAIK."

Yes they do.

You said 22 written reviews. Theys urely have more fanboys than that. As for numerical reviews; how many wa sit? 1000? I'm sure Troika can at least scoop up that many.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom