Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gotham Knights - open world action-RPG where Batman is dead

ResetRPG

Novice
I'm not at all looking forward to this game.

I would've been interested if it was developed like the OG Arkham games but focusing on the different characters, but the destiny-like grindy progression just completely turned me off. Hopefully it turns out well since I love Rocksteady's prior Arkham games.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where's the RPG in that trailer. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like my hot video game waifus; but like, where's the RPG?
No one thinks this is an RPG. It's an "action RPG" aka a button masher that flashes "level up" at impressionable consumers to engage their dopamine addiction.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still looking pretty sad. I don't know why I keep hoping this will somehow become good.

Wow, that Red Hood "spirit jump" is just bizarre. Robin was already pushing it with his teleportation, but he is the tech guy so it does make sense for him to tap into technology unavailable to everyone else. Nightwing hanging onto Green Goblin's glider looks dumb and goes against his acrobatic theme. But Red Hood being able to double-jump through the air is just laughable. The idea of adding some Lazarus Pit-induced mysticism to him is a clever way to differentiate him even more from his colleagues, but to have it take the form of ridiculous-looking double-jumping is incredibly dumb and clashes horribly with his "badass vigilante in a leather jacket" theme.

The biggest problem I can see with this game though, is how generic everything is. There's no hook, story or gameplay-wise, to grab you and keep your interest. It's just quantity over quality.
There are four main characters, and none of them look interesting to play (when he changes from Nightwing to Red Hood to show how they play differently, the gameplay looks pretty much the same). There are a gazillion different suit combinations, and most of them look bad. There are countless generic gangs committing generic crimes across the city for you to stop, and it all looks like it was randomly generated by a computer.

The least they could have done to build hype is presenting an interesting story hook. "Batman has died [citation needed] and now his sidekicks must investigate a secret cult" is just disappointing, most players would have wanted to play as Batman doing the investigation instead. (And it's not like sidekicks can't be interesting on their own, just look at the first season of Young Justice.) So far they've barely shown anything memorable story-wise, so why should anyone be invested in the plot?
Arkham City just had to show Batman inside a prison city filled with all his enemies, and people were sold.

Lhynn

Arcane
Batman supporting cast hasnt gotten much mainstream exposure, but in the 90s and 2000s they were about as good as the batman books themselves. They had very interesting relationship dynamics and it was one of the main reasons I followed Batman through that decade.

Nightwing had just grown out of the Robin persona and was struggling to become his own man. Charismatic, agile, and a daredevil, but always a sunny disposition. Comic touched on many familiar themes, young man leaving the nest to become an adult, finding his own way of dealing with things on his own, strained father/son relationship, being too emotionally immature to commit, etc. Interesting stuff to read for those getting out of college.

Robin being this smart kid that saw Batman at his worst, and decided to help him and help the cause. The themes of being an apprentice, a new intern, an outsider looking in, leading two lives and both of them being legitimately important to him, lying, learning the trade, highschool love, doing whats right.

Red hood I always saw as a batman villain, and thats where he is at his best, being the failure and being Batmans failure too. I was never a fan of them turning him good. I did like the toxic relationship he had with Robin at the time, he wanted to kill the kid, hopefully they bring some of that shit.

Batgirl is the least interesting one. The ones that took the mantle after her were much more fleshed out and had more interesting personalities. So eh.

I cant say I have much hope of being well written, but the potential is there.

Lhynn

Arcane
Batgirl is the least interesting one.
Cassandra Cain was pretty much the best character of the Bat family, definitely more interesting than any of the robins
Im commenting on Barbara, the one they went with. Cassandra and her struggle were both interesting and well developed. Though a part of me didnt like that she was basically superpowered in a team of street level vigilantes.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Though a part of me didnt like that she was basically superpowered in a team of street level vigilantes.
Sure, but her *superpower* had some serious drawbacks which I think made for a very interesting character journey

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Looks good besides the fact that she looks like she is on ice.
But regular Arkham had this shit as well, atleast the combat looks like it requires more effort.

Codex Year of the Donut

tldw:
everything about it except maybe the story is subpar, pale imitation of the Arkham games

also, diablo 2 infects another game with its shitty itemization. The loot system has nothing to do with gadgets, it's generic RPG equipment forced into a game it doesn't belong. To quote the reviewer mocking the game, "those gadgets are unlocked in the perk tree [...] Your gear is a level 13 blue rarity night stick that has a five percent chance to apply static shock which can be modded to increase elemental buildup by an additional five percent"

oh and it has another generic looter shooter UI

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I've been a big fan of the Arkham series since I was a kid playing the Arkham Asylum demo on the Xbox 360. So I'll probably get this at some point at a discount. Arkham Knight was surprisingly unpozzed (the only thing I can recall is a voicemail from Batwoman on Bruce's answering machine talking about her lesbian fiance, which I didn't even know existed till I read about it after the fact). It's pretty retarded how they try to cram in all these easter eggs to other DC properties, though; the stories of all the games are farcical when you start asking why Superman isn't just fixing the problem at lightspeed with his god-tier powers. Let alone shit like Batwoman which turns the setting into a complete joke. But that's stuff that can mostly be ignored, thankfully.
That all being said, Arkham Knight came out 7 years ago and the queer shit has only ramped up even further so it remains to be seen how woke this game will be. If it's not woke then I can tolerate the weird RPG shit for the sake of playing another Arkham game.

Silentstorm

Learned
The art book of the game already got out to some people and contains massive spoilers, but honestly the only shocking one is that:
Batman actually did die, is not undercover nor was turned into a Talon, unlike Jason Todd and Arkham Knight, they are not kidding about Bruce dying.

Except Bruce is thrown into a Lazarus Pit by Talia and revives as an enraged zombie and is a boss fight...and apparently dies again after the battle, so the 2nd time the Batfamily is around to see Bruce die.

Yes, they actually do kill Bruce just to revive and kill him again.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The art book of the game already got out to some people and contains massive spoilers, but honestly the only shocking one is that:
Batman actually did die, is not undercover nor was turned into a Talon, unlike Jason Todd and Arkham Knight, they are not kidding about Bruce dying.

Except Bruce is thrown into a Lazarus Pit by Talia and revives as an enraged zombie and is a boss fight...and apparently dies again after the battle, so the 2nd time the Batfamily is around to see Bruce die.

Tha's kinda stupid,I mean

If you are using the Court of Owls as the main villains why not use the Court to bring him back as a boss fight but use a completely different villain to do it?What's the point?

Silentstorm

Learned

Tha's kinda stupid,I mean

If you are using the Court of Owls as the main villains why not use the Court to bring him back as a boss fight but use a completely different villain to do it?What's the point?
My guess:
They did it for the sake of a twist, pratically everyone expected Bruce to only have pretended to die or be ressurected by the Court Of Owls, this way, they get to say they didn't lie when telling people Batman really died and ressurect him through the hands of another villain...and kill him again so they can keep saying the game is all about Gotham heroes that aren't Batman.

Though unless he is smashed, i don't think there is anything stopping Talia from just shoving Bruce into another Lazarus pit, that's what they keep doing whenever Ra's Al Ghul dies after all, so they have an excuse to put Bruce in Gotham Knights 2 or a post story DLC where he is finally playable.

Also, i think they want Talia to maybe have a line implying about Damian existing, i think they said in interviews there was a reason for why Damian isn't playable and i think Talia is there to maybe mention or imply she has a son for the sequel in case the game sells well.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yvgx72t.jpg

Let the butthurt flow from PS5/ XSX players. They're also asking £60 for this shit. God knows what the performance is going to be like, I'm getting Arkham Knight release flashbacks.

Also- Edit- from that SkillUp video posted above, it even looks worse than Arkham Knight from 7 years ago. Just lol.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Yvgx72t.jpg

Let the butthurt flow from PS5/ XSX players. They're also asking £60 for this shit. God knows what the performance is going to be like, I'm getting Arkham Knight release flashbacks.

Also- Edit- from that SkillUp video posted above, it even looks worse than Arkham Knight from 7 years ago. Just lol.

Consoles were awesome back in SNES / Sega Genesis era, up until Playstation 2. But after XBox 360 and onwards they just became weak computers in fancy cases; I don't see any reason to own a console anymore.

And 30FPS in 2022?... Dude, GLQuake could run at 30FPS with a Voodoo 3Dfx + Pentium 120Mhz, IN FUCKING 1997! (And you could rock that sweet 72 FPS with a Pentium II 400Mhz + Voodoo 2 12Mb :cool: )

ferratilis

Magister
Launch problems aside, Arkham Knight is still one of the best looking games on PC, and maybe the best looking game set at nighttime. And we're talking about a game made in fucking Unreal Engine 3.

The fact that this is coming out in 2022, with UE4, and not being able to hit 60 on midrange specs just speaks to the incompetence of the devs. No other explanation for, it doesn't even look that good.

Silentstorm

Learned
The devs try to explain it saying they can't possibly make a co-op game run in 60 FPS when there are 2 or more players at the same time...other games seem to do that just fine on consoles these days.

Just say you are keeping tradition alive of messed up terrible versions of a game, only rather than PC getting screwed like with the Arkham games, this time it's the consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom