Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Has anybody ever tried Melirinda's Icewind Dale II mod?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really wasn't being sarcastic in my previous comments (except for the one about devs being perfect). Almost all of The Codex is people bitching, but it's funny as hell. Every friend I direct to this place immediately recognizes this, but in the end we all agree on one thing. There should be more quality RPGs in this world. The definition of quality may differ from person to person, but those opinions are what make things interesting and insightful. :)

Also, I doubt 6,000 downloads(bishop's romance) has any lasting effect on RPGs as we know it. If more quality mods were made, I'm sure Melirinda's would be down on the list...

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
It's not what she creates that bothers me (unless she does it to my characters then I get all NOOO MY PRECIOUS about it, which I should really not do because they're not MINE anymore) - it's that her stance on things is so militant, and she seems to be doing the "I'm the Lorax and I speak for the trees" thing. I understand how upset she can be, but she DOESN'T speak for me. THAT's really what gets to me.

...the mods only really annoy me in that bad writing of all kinds gets to me. Also, I really loathe it when people sort of miss the point about a character - it's a pet peeve of mine. Back when I worked on Taxi Driver, the first draft of the story was by "Hollywood" writers whose experience with the movie was I think just seeing a POSTER OF IT, and wrote Travis Bickle as a stone-cold psychopathic killer, and who took the "You talkin' to me" scene like a vicious murderer being evil. IT'S LIKE A LITTLE KID POSING IN THE MIRROR, IF THEY HAD READ THE SCREENPLAY THE DIRECTION IS RIGHT THERE IN IT. ARRRGH.

...sorry, sorry, bad flashback. Casting Bishop as a bad boy with a secret heart of gold isn't as bad as that, but it touches my "NOOOO UR DOIN IT WRONG" nerve. But moreover it's the "she doesn't speak for me but acts like she does" thing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Don't worry for the flashback, it's interesting and kinda in key with the whole Melirinda talk. It also reminds me of Jake La Motta from Raging Bull, also by Scorcese, as a great study of male impotence (not the sexual kind). There's that great scene near the start, that is almost insignificant but sets the tone for the character, when he complains to his brother that his hands are too small and thus he'll only be a middle-weight, he'll never be able to fight with the heavy-weight champion.

Anyway I guess the consensus is that the problem does not lie with Melirinda's mods and her mediocre writing skills but her arrogance.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly, Annie, I don't believe you. I think it's more about wishing you would have had more time to flesh out the characters you or your former comrades wrote. Its easy for us on the "outside" to take a holier than thou stance when we're unhindered by the realities of the business. Your poor opinions of melirinda mean you really don't care what she says or does. Melirinda doesn't even have a full understanding of the English language, for gods sake!

Well, at any rate, I would personally much rather see an Annie Carlson Mod for SoZ.
Pretty please?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Would the Annie Carlson mod feature a special encounter with a band of flame-breathing trolls carrying something called The Codex?

Zomg

Arbiter
What was Bishop intended to be? I thought the permanent stubble beard was pretty much a tip-off Obsidian was going for a romance novel cad guy from the get go.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, he was. He was cut, which left us with the lot better stuff than a romance, like coming to tell the PC that she can escape with him if she wants.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
LeStryfe79 said:
Honestly, Annie, I don't believe you. I think it's more about wishing you would have had more time to flesh out the characters you or your former comrades wrote. Its easy for us on the "outside" to take a holier than thou stance when we're unhindered by the realities of the business. Your poor opinions of melirinda mean you really don't care what she says or does. Melirinda doesn't even have a full understanding of the English language, for gods sake!

Well, at any rate, I would personally much rather see an Annie Carlson Mod for SoZ.
Pretty please?

HAH! Well, you're both wrong and right. I get fucking RIGHTEOUS pissed when anyone is like "Oh I speak for you because I'm an X and you're an X" - like how god forbid if some little shit beat me at Street Fighter when I was a teenager, he'd snort how no girl can play games. Fuckin' HATE that shit. So I stand by my "she doesn't speak for me but acts like she does and that is something what makes the Annie go CRAY-ZAY" line.

But goddammit, LeStryfe, you caught me. I was planning to be all "surprise here is your birthday I made you a cake, and by 'cake' I mean 'SoZ mod'." But yeah. I DO wanna flesh out the characters more, as well as add my secret 12th cohort, Zarl the Gnoll (who Brian Mitsoda was gonna do the voice for. No, seriously, and he was gonna sound like Gob from Arrested Development. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT GOT CUT?! NOOO!). I need to actually get my copy of SoZ (not to mention a goddamn computer than can properly run it), but yes, I DO plan to make that.

And I think yes I can throw in a random encounter of trolls worshipping a dark arcane artifact called the Codex. Holding it is -7 Diplomacy but +5 Intimidate and Bluff. Or something. :twisted:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Annie Carlson said:
And I think yes I can throw in a random encounter of trolls worshipping a dark arcane artifact called the Codex. Holding it is -7 Diplomacy but +5 Intimidate and Bluff. Or something. :twisted:

That would be... brilliant.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Annie Carlson said:
I need to actually get my copy of SoZ (not to mention a goddamn computer than can properly run it), but yes, I DO plan to make that.

Ever considered donating plasma? :lol:

I can run SoZ quite well on medium settings with a $300 tower and a $70 card (sapphire 4550)

I lived in Seattle a while, and I know what it's like. If you get really desperate, you can always round up a bunch of heroin addicts to help you steal copper from condemned houses. This can be an excellent source of income, and the RL lessons of C&C could help your game designing skillz. :cool:

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Well, I'm being spoiled and waiting for my developer copy - apparently it's not even that Obsidian hasn't shipped me mine, it's that ATARI hasn't shipped them theirs. Devs get no respect, I tellya!

And I think I can add the flame effect possibly, although I don't know if I can hack firebreath. Maybe just hucking fireballs or great greasy gouts of 'splozionz?

Warden

Arbiter
Well, Annie.. I hope you include an encounter with Warden. I want to be a powerful mummy or hag or wight or a zombie with a scythe or a drowned, warding a sarcophagus. :D

It's all about the on-hit abilities! ;)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I noticed there are horses in the game now, brown horses... Anywaylongstoryshort can I be a horse? Just a horse minding his own business in a crazy old world with dwarven metrosexuals running around and doing stuff.

Come to think of it; there IS a severe lack of metrosexual dwarves in games.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Cogar said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Come to think of it; there IS a severe lack of metrosexual dwarves in games.
Ahhhh . . . (slaps forehead) . . . that's what's missing.
WE NEED MORE METROSEXUAL DWARVES!!

...And lithuanian hitmen.
I am wondering about taking dwarves to a direction like this:

midget2talking.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom