Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Has anybody ever tried Melirinda's Icewind Dale II mod?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Goddamn, I hated VIII. I can actually see why people liked the Cheesy theme song, and romantic cutscenes, as they were very cinematic for their time. I cannot see how anyone could have liked the draw/ junction system, villains, or ancillary NPCs. The only thing REALLY good about FF VIII is that it is not FF X. That and Gilgamesh rocks.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
6 is definately my favorite. I do think 7 is decent, even though it is partly responsible for the fall of good RPGs (kind of like WoW). I also thought 12 was an improvement over 10, but at this point I think it's too little too late for Squaresoft. I'm probably done with FF.

Drakron

Arcane
LeStryfe79 said:
... I cannot see how anyone could have liked the draw/ junction system ...

It required thought, something it seems few people seem to have.

The main issue with it was having draw magic until we got the refine item skill, it simply added another layer of farming what was too tedious and created issues with casting spells.

It was a very interesting system that was hold back by a annoying mechanic and some ill thought out mechanics ... also it was significant more complicated that the linear class progression skill.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
I don't care how complex the system is, if I don't think it's inherently fun. In most RPGs, one uses powers to kill things to gain more powers. In FF8, using one's powers (magic) to kill things decreased one's powers. The system basically forced you to farm resources you shouldn't use. Instead of having a variety of characters, everyone in FF8 was a bunch of buffed up fighters. I'm all for interesting character development, however. I really liked the customization in 5 & 6, but I hated the Britney Spears Grid in 10. I like advancement systems that don't completely revolve around killing things too, but lets face it, there's nothing else to FF.

Drakron

Arcane
"Inherently fun"

You really are asking for abuse you know?

A system have to be intuitive, logic and functional and the Junction system was that for most part, at least it was more logical that FF XII license system were in order to WEAR A HAT you have to buy a license.

Radisshu

Prophet
Drakron said:
"Inherently fun"

You really are asking for abuse you know?

A system have to be intuitive, logic and functional and the Junction system was that for most part, at least it was more logical that FF XII license system were in order to WEAR A HAT you have to buy a license.

One system was bad, so different one must be good! That's a logical way of reasoning!

Who's asking for abuse, really? Having to "buy" the ability to use certain items is a fairly standard RPG thing, even though requiring a certain license for every item could be considered unnecessary, but it doesn't even come close to the idiocy that is FF8's system of fecal spray.

Drakron

Arcane
WRONG.

Its not, equipment usually have no requirements ... at least general equipment, weapons usually have requirements but they are there because of the whole hitting things with them, not using them.

FF XII license system taken it to absurdity and if you are saying "oh, its just THAT element that makes the License system bad" then I point out the major issue with the Junction system failure was due how magic was handled, even the draw system was not a bad idea if not for the whole points.

And the abuse if I can say Fallout 3 combat system is fun, not that is works ... however there is distinction of something that is subjective (being fun) and something that is objective (how its broken).

It just further proves the Junction system is a good system since idiots lack the mental capacity to even understand it, unfortunately it seems the mental retarded are the majority of FF player base considering how they gone downhill in terms of actual difficulty.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Yes in FF8, I wanted to buy a license to equip Squall with something other than a gunblade, but the damn thing wouldn't give me the option. :lol:
Also, I don't think anyone here said FF8 was hard. I personally played it straight through without sleep and only died once. It's just when I looked back on it, I realized I didn't have much fun. I felt the system stunk, the story was broken, and most of the characters were underdeveloped.
If you liked FF8, then good for you. I liked Enchanted Arms, so that probably makes me an even bigger moron.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
And so, the thread about bad romances degenerates into Final Fantasy fanboyism.

Way to show Merlinda how mature you are, boys !

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
ushdugery said:
Since when was showing your maturity a point of posting on the codex...

I'll offer you different answers. Fallout style :

1) It would make sense when questioning games or mods content's maturity.
And games or mods developpers' maturity.
And games or mods taget audiences' maturity.

2) Different people post here for different reasons. Some of them to show how mature and smart they are. Didn't you realize this, by now ?

3) Since march 6th 2003.

4) You're totally right. I was mistaken. Keep on the FF shit, and don't forget to insert some nice comments about PST while you're at it. They go so well together.

Drakron

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
And so, the thread about bad romances degenerates into Final Fantasy fanboyism.

It derailed.

Also I understand why people do not like certain things about FF VIII, the game storyline was not about Ultramercia or the usual "save the world" but it was about Squall and Rinoa and that is why I can see why some people do not like FF VIII story, I also know Squall being the "dark and edgier" also does not gives him much points for other people and last, I know many people do not like FF VIII because its not FF VII part 2.

But compare FF VIII romance that plays on since disk 1 right to the end and FF X Tidus and Yuna romance ... either A LOT was lost in the translation or it was just there because it had to have a romance (not even going into FF XII that ventures into that but backs out) that just feels was tacked on because it must have a romance.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Strangely enough, I've never played a Final Fantasy in my life. I had an Intellivision once, but that was mostly for baseball.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm going to admit that I think FF8 is the second best "3D" Final Fantasy. I didn't mind the junction system, much as I didn't mind the materia system in FF7. I played right through that crap. I didn't mind the story either.

But anyway; has anyone tried Merlinda's goddamn mods yet? Because I'm not going to, but I want to see them anyway. :oops:

Wyrmlord said:
Pleeeease, somebody download this mod, and tell us all about it.

If I can actually make it through Quest 64....I'll give it a try. If Quest can't break me again, then I'll see if her mod can. Course somebody else might already try it by then.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm tempted, but seeing as I can't even stand NWN2 OC even without her mod, I doubt anything much would come out of it. Sorry.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anyway, if it ever comes out, I promise to make a complete LP out of her rape of MotB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom