Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Has anybody ever tried Melirinda's Icewind Dale II mod?

Drakron

Arcane
St. Toxic said:
Thank the heavens I've been desensitized to stupid.

I thought that I was too ... and I post in 4chan ... and that awestruck me.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You mean you didn't know that she tried to rewrite PS:T with a female protagonist?

You should have seen her ideas for the immortality business. 1) Make Ravel a lesbian 2) Make Ravel a Gary Stu 3) Replace Ravel with a cabal of dragons.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
OK, Merindadinda or whatever needs a good fuck it seems to me.

Anyone knows how she looks?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Goodness, getting a little stalkerish, aren't we?

She's a woman in her 30s, and she's married. With children. She has had more than her share of a love life, if that's what you are wondering about.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
FeelTheRads said:
OK, Merindadinda or whatever needs a good fuck it seems to me.

Anyone knows how she looks?
You willing to take one for the team, Raddy? Wanna make her... Feel The Rads?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
She's a woman in her 30s, and she's married. With children.

My deepest sympathies go to them.

She has had more than her share of a love life

Doesn't looks like. When all your gaming is centered around banging NPCs something is very wrong.

Wanna make her... Feel The Rads?

Jeezus, no. Unless she has enormous tits and I can gag her mouth.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
You mean you didn't know that she tried to rewrite PS:T with a female protagonist?

You should have seen her ideas for the immortality business. 1) Make Ravel a lesbian 2) Make Ravel a Gary Stu 3) Replace Ravel with a cabal of dragons.

I knew about the first, but the second part I never read about. What the fuck? Replace Ravel with a cabal of dragons? What kind of Gary-Stu Ravel did she have in mind?

Wyrmlord said:
Goodness, getting a little stalkerish, aren't we?

She's a woman in her 30s, and she's married. With children. She has had more than her share of a love life, if that's what you are wondering about.

Aren't those usually the target audience for bodice-ripper romances and the like? Explains a lot, come to think.

Maia

Novice
Gragt said:
Besides, from what I gathered, her problem lies mostly in the fact games, especially some RPG's like Planescape: Torment or The Witcher, forced her to play as a male with no possibility to be a female, .

While that was undeniably over the top, I see how gender ratio of the protagonists in games and other media could become tiresome.

She decided to answer mediocrity with more mediocrity by cutting Bishop's balls and making him a romance character.

Now, I won't vouch for this, but wasn't it initial intention of Obsidian as well? IIRC, there are some vestiges of their plans to make Bishop and Neeshka romance interests for evilish characters in the game files.

Personally, I didn't try Bishop's romance, but if I decide to replay NwN2 OC, I will. After all, nobody seems to be in a hurry to re-implement cut content for other NPCs or add something else new to the game. And I liked fan banter packs and NPC mods for BG2, so...
Also, I may be horribly mistaken, but I have a distinct impression that some of the more bombastic lines quoted here aren't supposed to be taken seriously.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
She didn't attempt to restore cut content, I'm pretty sure; the Bishop romance she has written has very little in common with the tone of writing you expect from Obsidian, and I doubt the objection is so much that she wrote a romance--but that she wrote one in which Bishop is castrated and reduced to a brooding hero with a heart of gold cliche.

Vaarna_Aarne

Maia said:
She decided to answer mediocrity with more mediocrity by cutting Bishop's balls and making him a romance character.

Now, I won't vouch for this, but wasn't it initial intention of Obsidian as well? IIRC, there are some vestiges of their plans to make Bishop and Neeshka romance interests for evilish characters in the game files.

Personally, I didn't try Bishop's romance, but if I decide to replay NwN2 OC, I will. After all, nobody seems to be in a hurry to re-implement cut content for other NPCs or add something else new to the game. And I liked fan banter packs and NPC mods for BG2, so...
Also, I may be horribly mistaken, but I have a distinct impression that some of the more bombastic lines quoted here aren't supposed to be taken seriously.
Well, just happens that every single dialogue she made is filled with those and is mind-blowingly horrible to begin with. Hell, I almost completed an LP on this (another site, should probably post the rest of it here too). Then I reinstalled and got bored of speedrunning. I do know the ending though. Bishop joins you at the final fight because of the POWER OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Though I must say that a Neeshka restored romance/romance mod in general would be the most retarded thing to do for such things. I personally would say that the final dungeon's events and dialogue option #1 are pretty much HOW IT SHOULD BE. No goddamn flirt babble, no goddamn "fuck me" scene before the final battle, no goddamn play-psychiatrist dialogues every turn, nothing of that usual shit.

Lesifoere said:
What kind of Gary-Stu Ravel did she have in mind?
Basically just swap her looks as I understood. Because those are everything that matter, after all.

Maia

Novice
Lesifoere said:
She didn't attempt to restore cut content, I'm pretty sure;

I am not saying that she did, just that the idea isn't totally out there. I don't think that Obsids intended to put much extra into it. Perhaps a side-quest? But in any case I remember something about an unfinished battlements "declaration" scene for him hidden somewhere in the files. Without the dialog.
As to "heart of gold", I doubt that she managed to edit out the betrayal, so it couldn't have been all that genuine :).

Re: Neeshka, I felt that l the whole interaction with her was distinctly romancy. If they had thrown a "fade to black" scene for her, it would have felt much more natural than for the characters that actually got it. IMHO, of course.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Maia said:
As to "heart of gold", I doubt that she managed to edit out the betrayal, so it couldn't have been all that genuine :).

Well, Vaarna_Aarne did say:

I do know the ending though. Bishop joins you at the final fight because of the POWER OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Vaarna_Aarne

Maia said:
Re: Neeshka, I felt that l the whole interaction with her was distinctly romancy. If they had thrown a "fade to black" scene for her, it would have felt much more natural than for the characters that actually got it. IMHO, of course.
Fade to black scene would have ruined it.

Radisshu

Prophet
Replace Ravel with a cabal of dragons..?

See, that's my problem with her. Her stuff sucks, and she's ridiculously arrogant about it. I've seen her lecturing devs on how easy it is to write romances on the bio boards. What the fuck. A cabal of motherfucking dragons? Replacing her? How? Why?

"ooaaohh.. female nameless one.. we are a cabal of dragons. we made you immortal. uhhh. it's difficult not to make this sound really stupid."

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Also, she kept calling a female TNO "The Nameless Lady." What? "The Nameless One" as a title is perfectly gender-neutral, so that's an extra point in her retard pool.

Radisshu said:
I've seen her lecturing devs on how easy it is to write romances on the bio boards. What the fuck.

For real? Granted, Bio romances are shit heaped on feces, but still.

Drakron

Arcane
I am not against romances but one thing is ... say Bastila and another is Liara.

And this seems to be even worst, its just the usual fanfic and remember, 90% of fanfic is crap and by crap I mean, its FAR WORST that BioWarian romances.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Maia said:
While that was undeniably over the top, I see how gender ratio of the protagonists in games and other media could become tiresome.

I see games where I have to play a female protagonist as refreshing, especially if it's a well-written character (Jade from Beyond Good & Evil or Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever come to mind); if it's a babe in skimpy outfit I usualy care as much as if I played a rough badass who smolders with generic rage, that is not much. Not being a female, I can try to imagine how it would feel but that's as much as I can go. Yet badly written characters of any gender are the norm, not just women, and I dislike them equally. That a woman is tired of how her gender is represented in popular media, I can understand (men are not immune to this as well), but starting some sort of crusade like Melirinda does is ridiculous and over the top as you said, even more when you consider her lack of litterary skills. I can understand where it comes from but do not agree with it.

Besides I see the choice of gender in games as more than mere aesthetics, or rather I wish it was more than that. In Arcanum for exemple women face some problems that men do not, getting into the Gentlemen's Club in Tarant for exemple, and it allows you to play a role. All this made me think of a female Nameless One while keeping the story intact, and I doubt it would work. Men and women do not see immortality the same way, same with the pursuit of power, and these themes are central to the Nameless One as he is written. Just as Ravel is definitely a woman, despite being an evil hag her heart still beats for that broken creature. Can anyone (except Melirinda) imagine seriously the Nameless One being a woman and Ravel a man?

Maia said:
Now, I won't vouch for this, but wasn't it initial intention of Obsidian as well?

As Lesifoere said, her writing in the mod is very different from other Obsidian's work. And even if there was plan of a Bishop romance and it was cut, sometimes content is cut because there isn't enough ressources to implement it correctly and sometimes because it simply does not work. While I did not find the original Bishop well-written, as he started to sound like a broken record very fast, he was at least more interesting than the cliché "bad boy with a heart of gold".

Vaarna_Aarne said:

That's it, she blew her Masquerade up, she's definitely a Malkavian.

Drakron said:
I am not against romances but one thing is ... say Bastila and another is Liara.

I know Bastila isn't a good character at all but I can't bring myself to hate her simply because she's voiced by Jennifer Hale... How weak I am.

Drakron

Arcane
Bastila is a stereotype but one that works.

Liara is a joke, to start she shows later that the other 2 romance options and so it develops into a too fast pacing and ... well I played a female Shepard (since ... voiced by Jennifer Hale) and I was stuck in either taking damaged good (LOL, no) or her and the way the dialog played out made me cringe ... it was BAD.

But that is the problem, pacing ... Bastila works as a romance option because was pretty much build as a romance option and the pacing works, Liara fails even if you right after her the moment you get command of the Normandy because she is a side character, she was build as a completely optional side character and it shows.

There are not many games that have a good romance, I can only thing of VtM:Redemption and FF VIII that did it right.

Vaarna_Aarne

Drakron said:
There are not many games that have a good romance, I can only thing of VtM:Redemption and FF VIII that did it right.
No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom