Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
As much as I love HOTU (the SITE), the problem with their 'indie' listing, is alot of those games aren't indie.

Elder Scrolls: Arena an indie game? :shock:

Ibbz

Augur
It might be a good idea to post some sort of description along with the link so we have some idea what sort of game it is...

chrisbeddoes

Erudite

Jed

Cipher
I do realize that this is a little off-topic, but since we've already covered (in other threads) some nice indie space sims, anyone have any leads on some good indie turn-based strategy games?

EEVIAC

Erudite
XJEDX said:
I do realize that this is a little off-topic, but since we've already covered (in other threads) some nice indie space sims, anyone have any leads on some good indie turn-based strategy games?

Do you like big-fuck-off-mech's that are completely customizable played out on hex maps? Then you might like TITANS OF STEEL. I played the freeware version (there's now a retail version, Warring Suns, available through Matrix Games) a while ago and it reminded me of another freeware Amiga game, the name of which eludes me.

Here's a quote from a quick Google search on the game :

Titans of Steel: Warring Suns™ allows you to design or reconfigure your own Titan-AT. There are 450 different Titan-AT types to start with, including 150 pre-designed Titan-ATs. Each Titan-AT has over 74 internal systems, electronics systems, 4 armor types, 20 chassis styles, 5 size classes (recon, light, medium, heavy, assault) and 29 weapon types ranging from conventional to exotic. Once you’ve settled on your perfect Titan-AT, you can share your design with other commanders.

It has some RPG elements like progression systems for pilots but its essentially a tactical combat game. You can set fire to scrubland to force heat failures too. :wink:

Here's the Metacritic page which will point you to some reviews.

Look around for the demo or freeware version or whatever to try it out. It might still exist on some archaic freeware site. It weighs about 12 MB.

LCJr.

Erudite
I pulled these off Sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trov ... orm_cat=80

Over 1500+ RPG projects listed! Well until you start filtering. Like only looking at the ones that have progressed to Beta stage then your left with about 100+ and out of those most are utilities for commercial products:(

Dungeon Craft formerly UAForever. Probably well known, been around since 95', but just in case somebody hasn't heard of it. Improved clone of Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Basically lets you make and play SSI Gold Box type D+D games.

http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

Lost Heroes. Another game and editor combo. This one is based heavily on Wizardy, Eye of Beholder, etc. They're supposed to have a game/module out soon.

http://losthero.sourceforge.net/

Falcon's Eye. Another graphical Rogue like Slash'Em. This one uses NetHack as the base. Development seems to have halted.

http://www.hut.fi/~jtpelto2/nethack.html

IanOut. Saw NMA is hosting them. Saint Proverbius you or anyone else have any feedback on it? http://ianout.nma-fallout.com/english/index.html

@Peacedog Wouldn't expect Proudfoot back anytime soon. He's a coder for Matrix Games nowdays.

Peacedog

Novice
@Peacedog Wouldn't expect Proudfoot back anytime soon. He's a coder for Matrix Games nowdays.

I know, but he's made comments every now and again on his forums that he'd like to finish POWS oneday, and redo Nahlakh. I'm not expecting it anytime soon. But it is fun to think about it.

SAIS is pretty good. The "randomness" is somewhat limited (perhaps a bit too limited). If you play on the highest difficulty, the game hingest on getting a great engine (preferrably the stargate engine or one that handles nebula ok) and a great weapon early (the latter still applies on easy, but it is easy especially with fewer foes).

There's also the super special secret event. I've seen it maybe 3 times in 150-200 games of SAIS. Once I actually got through most of a game before dealing with it. Got slaughtered.

Jed

Cipher
So I just installed the Titans of Steel demo, and I was reading the readme and saw this:

What you can expect :
The factory features 20 chassis types, 29 weapon systems and a large array of equipment - from scanners to jump ports. You can design small but fast recon titans as well as 200 ton behemoths armed with devastating weapons. Choose between 4 types of armor, each with its pros and cons. The factory is suited for designing new titans as well as modifying and repairing titans which are already owned by teams.

The headquarters can handle character creation/development and team setup. Choose between humans, replicants, androids and cyborgs, each described by 7 attributes and 19 skills. Develop these characters by distributing experience points gained during combat. Manage your team's money by carefully buying/selling/repairing your titans.

The battle module is a turn based tactical game that simulates combat between teams of titans. Turns are divided into small individual time slices which will allow fast alternating play as well as give you time to carefully consider your actions. Battle can be played solo, hotseat or in a local area network. It includes 5 terrain types from swamps to hills, each affecting combat and movement.

What you can't expect :
Realtime mouse clickfests and all that fancy stuff that takes time and does not add to the game.

Whoo-boy! This looks like it's gonna be great. I'll let you guys know my impressions in a few days...

LCJr.

Erudite
Titans of Steel is ok but gets tedious. My biggest complaint is the interrupts not following your input. You can be in a situation where you have no movement left and no weapons ready to fire and select the "wait til next weapon cycle" and still you'll get asked repeatedly what you want to do.

Anyway since we are already offtopic. Although I suppose you could argue a simulation game has just as much roleplaying as a roguelike :P

VegaStrike, began life as a Wing Commander combat clone and now is a spacecombat/trading game ala Privateer and Elite. It's opensource/multiplatform and completely free, CD price is only if you want to order rather than dl. Very active development. I've missed the last few updates but in previous versions the learning curve for all the flight controls is pretty steep. Need to check out the latest version myself although I see it's doubled in size to 180Mb.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Ibbz

Augur
Starship Tycoon:
http://www.positech.co.uk/starshiptycoon/index.shtml
"Starship Tycoon is the new much-improved version of our classic space simulation game StarLines INC

Starship Tycoon puts you in charge of an interplanetary shipping company, you compete against AI controlled firms to survive in the cutthroat world of space commerce. Configure and upgrade your starships, hire and hire the crew, smuggle illegal goods, and wage price wars against your competitors."

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Ahhh..... but it's console style that is NOT your typical console style RPG out there on the internet. That's the reason I posted it. And the fact that it's kinda fun. Nothing GOTY about it, but it definitely has appeal.

XMark

Novice
I guess I'll pimp my own games here.
The ARC Legacy is an RPG I did in QBasic. Crappy graphics and occasional PC speaker bleeps for sound but a lot of people like the game anyways :)
There's also the demo for The ARC Network, a Matrix-inspired sequel to the game. The project was cancelled in favor of remaking The ARC Legacy, which will have a WAY better engine, graphics, music et cetera. I'll probably be finished it next year.
EDIT:

Also, another indie RPG I would recommend is Sirocco's Fenix Blade. It's incomplete at the moment but there is a VERY impressive demo available on the site. (Frenetic Plus is there too, it's not an RPG but it's a very fun action game)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom