Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

protobob

Liturgist
Been playing The Unreal World for the last few days. Tons of fun. It's a rogue-like with 'fancy' graphics (fancy being a relative word here). The main goal of the game is to survive in a medieval Finnish wilderness.

Very open ended, tons of shit to do. A bit of a learning curve at first, but well worth it.

Caveat is that it can be hard to get the game working on XP systems with modern graphic cards (it's a dos4gw app, tends to go black screen when you start it). I''ve been able to get it to run fine on my win2k laptop with little effort. You can also run it with DosBox (pc/dos emu) on XP but it slows the game down a bit.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Jed

Cipher
Are you still working on the project? The site doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Skip The Jungle and make the space exploration cRPG! Please! The graphics look great, by the way.

Lammers

Novice
It looks like he/she is still working on the project.
The Development historys latest date was 11-Jun-04.

xJEDx said:
Are you still working on the project? The site doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Skip The Jungle and make the space exploration cRPG! Please! The graphics look great, by the way.

plin

Liturgist
EEVIAC said:
Hajo said:
- The buildings/space stations need inhabitants, who can be talked to and who can give quests and informations. I have no idea how to do that (by random?) in a game of that scale? - I must admit I have no idea how to implement smalltalk with NPCs on a random basis at all.

Have you seen the way Gearhead handles randomized NPC conversations?

Umm, does anyone know if there's a version of that game out with the graphics on the screenshot page? Seems like a really interesting game, but I can't get passed the ASCI/letter or whatever graphics. Thanks.

nevermind, I think I found it.

LCJr.

Erudite
How about a "RPG/Strategy"? Made by A-Sharp and set in the Runequest world of Glorantha. All graphics are static, music isn't bad and fits the theme. Not your typical strategy game you're better off making choices "in character" than the choice that would seem to get you maximum yield. Price is down to $20 US and can be ordered from A-Sharp or from various hobby stores.

http://www.a-sharp.com/kodp/

Asst'd reviews:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=592
http://www.macledge.com/Reviews00/king- ... pass.shtml
http://www.gonegold.com/gguide/dragonpass.shtml

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, I'm developing a roguelike right now. It's certainly indie. Is it an RPG? Well, not really it's pure hack 'n slash but it's actually based on an Pen and Paper RPG (WFRP)

http://mitglied.lycos.de/goodfire/

Early stage of development but well you can shot some Plague Zombies with your Pump Action Shotgun if you're bored.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
plin said:
EEVIAC said:
Hajo said:
- The buildings/space stations need inhabitants, who can be talked to and who can give quests and informations. I have no idea how to do that (by random?) in a game of that scale? - I must admit I have no idea how to implement smalltalk with NPCs on a random basis at all.

Have you seen the way Gearhead handles randomized NPC conversations?

Umm, does anyone know if there's a version of that game out with the graphics on the screenshot page? Seems like a really interesting game, but I can't get passed the ASCI/letter or whatever graphics. Thanks.

nevermind, I think I found it.

Download "SDL version for windows" and SDL images" at the bottom of the page.
It's not made very clear. In fact, it's pretty stupid. You have to know what SDL is or be able to figure it out at a glance in order to know that is the graphical version.

DarkSign

Erudite
Hajo wrote:

Heck there are programs that will even make dialogue trees for single-player versions of UT mods now.

Check Here.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I've been having a blast wasting about 30 minutes a day on Kingdom of Loathing. http://www.kingdomofloathing.com. It's a browser-based humourous RPG suitable for casual players. Technically it's multiplayer, but I'm sticking it here because it's mostly a silly single player monster bashing and quest solving game. People who enjoy good writing and bad puns will particularly enjoy it.

almondblight

Arcane
I think many of you have heard of the Mac RPG classics (later ported to PC) Exile and Escape Velocity, so I thought I'd throw in the other Mac classic, Realmz. It out for the PC too now:

http://www.fantasoft.com/downloads.html

If you've played Exile, it's similar to that (I think Exile works better as a whole, though Realmz has more ideas), good old school adventuring, with random encounters (not just fighting, often just figuring out how to deal with people) and stat checks thrown around. The character creation system gives you a plethora of races and classes, and even seems to incorporate aging (haven't checked on this to be sure though). You can get the game for $20 and register additional scenarios (a LOT of them) for $13, though I'm not sure if anyone is there anymore to contact. The game is old and a bit rough, but still pretty fun.

xJEDx said:
Your thesis earns an F.

Next assignment: Learn to stop worrying and love Gearhead.
Well... your FACE earns an F. HAH!

Seriously, if you want to make a roguelike, at least don't use ASCII. @ or that ghetto smiley face that disappeared with DOS simply doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to representing my character. And letters of the alphabet don't represent monsters. Sorry, they don't.

Whenever I play an ASCII roguelike I feel like I'm exploring Sesame Street. "You encounter: The Letter R!"

Astromarine

Erudite
plus, your abstraction skill sucks the big one. Fuck it, your loss. If your graphicswhorishness keeps you from experiencing ADOM or T.O.M.E then you lose at life.

Astromarine said:
plus, your abstraction skill sucks the big one. Fuck it, your loss. If your graphicswhorishness keeps you from experiencing ADOM or T.O.M.E then you lose at life.
You're so right! I lose at life because I can't stand to play "Slay the Letter P!"

Should I even bother mentioning the interfaces of those games are unecessarily overwrought, confusing, and shat-tastic? Even the graphical Nethack, (the one with the simple but effective tiles, which fixes my problem of 'what the fuck is a ☻ again?"), has that god-awful keyboard interface... Q for "quaff" ing a potion (what's wrong with "using" it?), D for "don" (or is it drop?), R for "ready" (or reload, or maybe even read?)... see what I mean?

Your comment about my "abstraction skill" (man, I don't remember that class in college!) was either:

a.) A poorly constructed, grammatically unsound failed attempt to criticize my intelligence.

b.) A Ranger and his dog flanked by a Beholder, a Succubus, a couple feral wolves, and a pair of animated longswords.

Astromarine

Erudite
actually an ant, bee, sake, villager, rat, another ant, centipede, another villager, clawbug, orc, and naga. I win.

The interface is not hard. Yes, lots of keys, but have you ever noticed that the really good RTS players work like hell to memorize and use key shortcuts? I've played Angband in a trance-like state for about 10 hours straight, with my hands flying all over the keyboard, and completely forgetting both the specifics of the interface, and abstracting completely the things actually on the screen. I don't need my screen to shake, ominous music, colorful explosions, and big red baddies that take half the screen to raise my adrenalin. In those Angband sessions, just seeing a green 'd' at 2000 feet was enough for a big, hearty "Oh, SHIT". Casting Magic Mapping and seeing a Checkerboard Vault was enough to kill my sleep for the whole night until I finished it or died, so pumped I was.

All games are abstractions, just like all books. You have to forget what you are actually seeing, and imagine. If that is impossible for you, just be glad you never played games in a Spectrum, Atari 2600, of EGA-era PC.

THE_Dave

Novice
The Chronicles of Ny

Some of you guys already know about this one but for the ones that don't:

The Chronicles of Ny - ClownKeep

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom