Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect - 2-minute video of a full conversation.

Texas Red

Whiner
WHAT?! Shepard's voice shouldnt be so pancy. Its supposed to be a lot more deep and shaky.

The grafix sure do look good though. Im sure this will serve as great jacking material for many gamespotards. Although the long conversation would turn down many potential buyers from their target audiance, no doubt.

Still cant believe at the stupidity of this new "revolutionary" dialog system. I pray to gods that it wont be picked up.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WOW! Best shooter ever! I'm glad BIO is hyping it only as a shooter.. through dialogue...

HAHAHA!

Mayday

Augur
Poor dialogue choices.
The only consequence apparently is the alien joining or not. Was all this talk really necessary?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But TWD allready posted...

I love how it's a computer game and not an existing IP, so they can let their imaginations run wild when it comes to aliens, and they all still look like human in unconvincing suits or makeup

They do allow the option not to allow the NPC to join though. That's something new to their console games.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Mayday said:
Poor dialogue choices.
The only consequence apparently is the alien joining or not. Was all this talk really necessary?
Let me get this straight, are you saying that just because that's the only dialogue choice with any actual consequence, everything else is unnecessary/pointless and the conversation should've simply been:
Wrex: i wanna join you
Shephard:
Choice 1: k
Choice 2: forget it

?

That's completely retarded.

sportforredneck said:
They do allow the option not to allow the NPC to join though. That's something new to their console games.
I'm pretty sure even if you said "no", he'd still end up joining you somehow. That's how it is with Bioware games.

Dark Matter said:
sportforredneck said:
I'm pretty sure even if you said "no", he'd still end up joining you somehow. That's how it is with Bioware games.
Actually I heard that he doesn't have to join you. There's only like 1 or 2 forced characters it seems, out of 6 all together. But the problem still is that they've said that prior to that conversation in the video, that character could've joined you 3 times before then. They shouldn't have the character keep coming back to join, once you tell him to shove off, they should at least not try 3 more times to join.

Sirbolt

Liturgist
sportforredneck said:

They do? How did you figure that out?

Jora

Arcane
Shepard's expressions and bodylanguage worked really well. I even liked the dialogue until Rex started talking how "my people were a proud species once".

Sirbolt said:
sportforredneck said:

They do? How did you figure that out?
They said it during an interview that you can choose not to take him. Supposedly a few others are also optional but not all.

HanoverF said:
But TWD allready posted...

I love how it's a computer game and not an existing IP, so they can let their imaginations run wild when it comes to aliens, and they all still look like human in unconvincing suits or makeup

They have sentient floating jellyfish. Not to mention those blue women that are asexual and work as intergalactic whores (which one of them can join your party....already there are at least 5 topics on GameFAQs about lesbian romance). How novel!

DiverNB

Liturgist
To be fair to the game, it doesn't really look that terrible.

What more of an outcome do you want from that conversation? I can't think of anything else happening in a situation like that besides him joining you or not. It even looked as if there may have been options to go XTREME and fight him if you wished to.

I'll wait for more than one conversation before I go and judge the entire game.

bryce77

Scholar
Well, here it is. The video you've all been waiting for: a 20 minute demonstration of Mass Effect complete with dialogs, exploration and combat.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/6174539/videoplayerpop?

The combat is 100% real-time by the way, akin to Brother In Arms: Hell's Highway, (complete with cover system), or Gears of War. This is NOT abstracted in any way, shape or form, it is a third-person shooter. All that said, it looks like this is gonna be a cool shooter game, and that's how I'm going to try to appreciate it.

Starwars

Arcane
I don't know man. It looks like a good game and all, but...

The thing that seems the most promising to me is the exploration aspect of it. But then they mention the fact that there will be areas that you will only reach by using your amazing squad vehicle jump function, and that's kinda... Not exactly what I'm looking for. It will depend largely on how interesting the different places are to explore.

The shooter action is completely off-putting for me, I'm just not interested in that whatsoever and I just know it will bore me to tears.

Roleplaying is from what I know still pretty much unknown, but I have my doubts. Dialogue system is not to my liking.

Don't have an Xbox360 anyways, nor do I know anyone who has one so I don't think I'll be playing this anytime soon.

Looks good, but not something that particularly interests me. And that interviewer was pretty annoying. :P

psycojester

Arbiter
"Hey are you Shepard?"
Your response: Why?

Is it just me or is that just being unhelpfully existential.

Section8

Cipher
Wow, so much effort and resources dedicated to something so trivial. Also, you gotta love the revolutionary new real-time dialogue, where you can interrupt them... provided they've already said everything they wanted to say and only have about a second's worth of extra fluff to cut off. Awesome!

aries202

Erudite
You do know that you can pause the game, and then assign a task for each of your squad members. You can tell Wrex? to go to a certain place, then pause the game and tell the Asari girl to take cover, then pause the game, and tell Wrex to shoot or sneak or use stealth etc. And they will do it :)You can, of course, also, if you so wish :) do the combat in realtime mode which is why Greg (or Ray?) played the combat in during the gamespot feature of Mass Effect. Eh - video game characters aka digital actors don't have memories so it is actually a good thing ;) that Wrex? has been trying to join 3 or 4 times before. He can't remember the message you first game him, telling him to sod off...

As for the roleplaying aspect of it, I once saw a video (on youtube , I think?) in which Shepard took a very threathening stance against the bartender. (meaning not grabbin his coillar) but rather threathening him with closing his bar down or something like that. As for the combat in the video, I think it is pretty clear that Bioware wanted to show off the more glitzy fancy parts aka the different ways of doing the combat in Mass Effect.

As for the dialogue, I watched it and thought, - wow- this looks great, but am i watching a movie or playing a game here :?: I was really confused whether this was an interactive movie or a cinematic game :?: As for the dialogue system, I a bit disappointed as to how it is working. It just seems that your character, Shepard, says something, when you pick a topic, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the sentiment, you've picked. It feels like the writers just wrote all the dialogue for the game, and then were told, 'no, this is not a shooter, you will need to make it so that people at least 2-4 dialogue options. Also, speech skills? don't seem to influence whether or not you're successfull in communicating with other humans or even other species.

And while we're on that subject. Who is to say that the Asari has the same expressions on their face when they are happy, sad, or mellow than humans do? Even withhin earth culture, people have different expressions on their faces when they are happy, sad, mad, etc. etc. And people often interpret different culture's body language wrong and so we have the conflicts... If you have read the background story of the Krogans on the Mass Effect website, you'll understand why Wrex? is saying that 'my people were once a proud species'. So that not so annoying to me, anyway ;) - what irritates me is that Bioware again is using clichees, like the old tired warrior, and the young dashing handsome Shepard, saving the Galaxy.

And while the dialogue options may boil down to yes, no and maybe options, don't expect the topical dialoque or what Shepard is sayying to be the same everytime. This dialogue system is supposed to mimick (if that's the correct word?) a natural fluent conversation people (and aliens ;) ) have with each other each day. (in tech term, of course, not in dialogue topics or subjects ;) ).So you can (or at least ought to?) in theory at least, break off a conversation with someone, then go off, then come back and continue the conversation with said person. I just don't understand why they want to make some sort og SIM game in which the conversation pans out in real time and IS, and will be, just like in real life.

I have hard time surviving the real time conversations, thank you very much. I don't need Mass Effect (or other games) to be like real life. I play games as an escape from real life, not as means of immersion myself in a second life type thing or to coin a phrase 'to live another life'.

I have plenty do in my first life :)

bryce77

Scholar
aries, I mostly agree with everything you said but I have to point out that the very first point you make, about Mass Effect's combat, is not necessarily indicative of any real depth or unique quality to the game. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway or Rainbow Six: Vegas both feature the very same squad-control mechanics you describe.

dragonfk

Erudite
bryce77 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/6174550/mass-effect-gameplay-movie-1

Note that throughout the conversation, even though there are sometimes up to 4 dialog responses available, they all boil down to either 'yes' or 'no' paths.

I like teh graphics and the conversations is pretty well animated and written. And I dont have any problems with the conversation choices as far as story will be edible.
Well, here it is. The video you've all been waiting for: a 20 minute demonstration of Mass Effect complete with dialogs, exploration and combat.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/61 ... oplayerpop?

The combat is 100% real-time by the way, akin to Brother In Arms: Hell's Highway, (complete with cover system), or Gears of War. This is NOT abstracted in any way, shape or form, it is a third-person shooter. All that said, it looks like this is gonna be a cool shooter game, and that's how I'm going to try to appreciate it.

Is that reporter normal or was he under drugs/booze or smth? Or maybe if you want to be in the industry you have to behave like you are retarded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom