Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect - 2-minute video of a full conversation.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Sharp talk! I like the dialogs, they are well written. In terms of choices it doesn't look that great but then again, this particular dialog is just a little sample.

Real-time usually butchers depth in RPGs. Real-time combat wiped away the tactical approach; now dialogs are basically real-time, will this wipe away what else is left? I do hope ME proves this theory wrong.

Gwendo

Augur
COnsequences, consequences... Sure they're neat. But the experience of the moment is important too. Even if the dialogue hasn't a million choices and consequences, it makes a nice dialogue roleplaying. It feel more like talking with someone, like in a movie.

I think Mass Effect's dialogue system is something to be looked upon.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks more and more like Kotor with better graphics and a different story. Not that that's a necesary bad thing, but it does kinda stiffle the enthousiasm.

Still, i've got an xbox so i'll get it as soon as it's out. Something else besides the countless samey shooters.

PS I do wish they would someday make a new starflight or star controll 2. Now these were epic sci-fi games!

aries202

Erudite
bryce77 said:
aries, I mostly agree with everything you said but I have to point out that the very first point you make, about Mass Effect's combat, is not necessarily indicative of any real depth or unique quality to the game. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway or Rainbow Six: Vegas both feature the very same squad-control mechanics you describe.

No, it isn't. I think you can do the same in Gears of War? too. The point I was trying to get across was that you can pause the game and issue order to your squad members.
And that combat didn't have to happen in realtime...

I just looked at the video again. I don't understand :?: why all major developers these days go for photo-realism and bloom :?? It is really, annoying my poor (old) middle-aged eyes...

mouflon

Novice
In a dark, dark town, on a dark, dark street, with
I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt if he had made one intelligent comment or probing question. Just one.
To be fair, when they're talking about classes he asks if NPC reactions and dialogue will change depending on what class you pick. I can't remember exactly, but I think Hudson's answer was 'The universe is huge and awesome, and Shepard can be a woman(!)'. Hudson's freestyling needs work tho, for sure. Every time he gets ruffled he just starts fumbling about with buzzwords and catchphrases. Needs more discipline.

But there's no denying the engine looks really neat, even if what they're doing with it looks bland and contrived. I guess you have to play it super-safe on big projects like this, but even so they probably wasted a good few manhours purging the final vestiges of personality from Shepards character. I was a bit surprised after all the EXTREME talk to find him voiced by someone who couldn't quite make the cut for GI Jones cartoons. I'm not talking anything to do with race, but he's just so white, if you get what I mean. Devoid of colour.

As for likely juicy RPGness, I think that map really sums it up.

masseffect.jpg

But I'm sold on those live-action conversations, even with the paraphrased options. Looks like the future to me. The range of PC options seen so far is shit tho, no doubt about that. But think of the possibilities.

Section8

Cipher
No, it isn't. I think you can do the same in Gears of War? too. The point I was trying to get across was that you can pause the game and issue order to your squad members.
And that combat didn't have to happen in realtime...

Why is that a good thing? Action games = good. Tactical games = good. Why develop a system that includes both if it utterly emasculates them of all they have to offer?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This game is an Action RPG. Not a shooter. Not a full fledge RPG. An Action RPG. Are people that stupid?

Combat is real time; but you can pause and give pretty much exacting instructions to your crew members. Also, despite the RT, stats do play a role in combat as well.

Also, how many shooters does anyone know that have dialogue skillz or hype their convo system? HAHAHA!

"L0L0L0L! I'm making a shooter; but I'm gonna hype dialogue!" HAHAHA! lameo.

As for the linear map shown. Yeah, it's linear. And, if the game is like that at all times, I'll be dissapointed. Of course, I'll point out that most RPGs have linear maps - even the precious FO.

Why are people expecting BIo to make an exact replica of FO? It's a BIO game. Expect a BIO game. Duh.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Hey, they even have mudcrabs! That interview was anything but impressive: the whole thing comes off like a railroaded shooter with crappy animation. And what's with the 'every 50.000 years all organic life is destroyed' humbug???
Hehe, that vehicle reminded me of a show that was on TV when I was a kid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcVUO2Q1LxM

Edit: The good doctor seems to be a bit of a drunk driver. I'm getting nauseous just watching him slalom down that river...

aries202

Erudite
bryce77 said:
But combat does happen in real-time in Mass Effect. I don't understand what aries is getting at. You tell your squad memebers where to go / who to shoot at, they do it; same as in Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Yes, that may be so. But the system used in Mass Effect for combat is the same system Bioware used in Baldur's Gate. (or close to it). It is realtime with pause. The only thing you can't do is que up actions, like you do in NWN2. Don't expect turnbased combat in Mass Effect, but more o fa phase based tactical combat, just like in BG1...

Matt7895 said:
He only pissed me off when he totally tried to ignore the novel that the Bioware guys gave him. It didn't seem to matter to him that Drew Karpyshyn (KOTOR, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction) wrote it and happened to be lead writer on Mass Effect too.

'Some people like books' was all he had to say.

After enduring the godawful experience that was the Throne of Bhaal novelization by that Karpyshyn guy I don't blame him for avoiding that "book".

Deleted member 7219

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Matt7895 said:
He only pissed me off when he totally tried to ignore the novel that the Bioware guys gave him. It didn't seem to matter to him that Drew Karpyshyn (KOTOR, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction) wrote it and happened to be lead writer on Mass Effect too.

'Some people like books' was all he had to say.

After enduring the godawful experience that was the Throne of Bhaal novelization by that Karpyshyn guy I don't blame him for avoiding that "book".

I've just finished reading Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm willing to give Karpyshyn the benefit of the doubt.

bryce77

Scholar
aries202 said:
bryce77 said:
But combat does happen in real-time in Mass Effect. I don't understand what aries is getting at. You tell your squad memebers where to go / who to shoot at, they do it; same as in Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Yes, that may be so. But the system used in Mass Effect for combat is the same system Bioware used in Baldur's Gate. (or close to it). It is realtime with pause. The only thing you can't do is que up actions, like you do in NWN2. Don't expect turnbased combat in Mass Effect, but more o fa phase based tactical combat, just like in BG1...

where'd you read this? seriously, AFAIK the doctors have always made it clear the game is 100% real-time, unlike KOTOR. i've always understood there is no level of abstraction going on beyond that of the common shooter game. but if what you say is true then i suppose that's good

Texas Red

Whiner
Its good to see that Bioware understood what could have been improved in KotOR as an RPG. Akshun combat :roll:.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeha; but at least the combat will likely be better. L0L

And, ME will have more freedom, and more role-playing choices.

Face it, KOTOR wa sjust a test run for a superior Space Action RPG.

ME will be better than KOTOR in EVERY way.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
Yeha; but at least the combat will likely be better. L0L

And, ME will have more freedom, and more role-playing choices.

Face it, KOTOR wa sjust a test run for a superior Space Action RPG.

ME will be better than KOTOR in EVERY way.

KOTOR had Star Wars. Mass Effect doesn't. That is a way that KOTOR is better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nope. That's another way that ME is better. nice try, though, SW fanboy.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
Nope. That's another way that ME is better. nice try, though, SW fanboy.

ME hasn't even been released yet. Strange how you can predict the future.

It's no different from Bethesda fanboys heralding Fallout 3 as a worthy successor to the series when it's not due out until Fall 2008.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Or the people who claim that ME will be crap, or FO3 will be a poor sequel in the series, blah, blah, blah.

Your argument works both ways.

However, it should be point out, that both sides can be done by using common sense, and the info we have. It's called research. by reading interviews, and previews as well as watching various videos you can eaisly asses whteher a game will be to your liking. Same with the opposite. Someone can watch a video of ME and proclaim the they think it will suck. Look at this threa d-- that's what people are fuckin' doin' - both positively and dumbass.

I make my assessment by reading, watching, and using my prior experience. I like previous BIO outings and I fully expect BIO to make a BIO game so i have no reason to think I won't lie it. Heck, even KOTOR which I make fun a lot of, I still find it a decent/good game. Just like I have my doubts about FO3; not because it's a sequel 9as want to love FO3 ); but whose making it since my prior experience with Betehsda games is that I find them be beyond shitty.

Everyone judges games before playing them, dumbass, Codex included. That's how we determine what games to buy, and what games not to buy.

Gah.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
Or the people who claim that ME will be crap, or FO3 will be a poor sequel in the series, blah, blah, blah.

Your argument works both ways.

However, it should be point out, that both sides can be done by using common sense, and the info we have. It's called research. by reading interviews, and previews as well as watching various videos you can eaisly asses whteher a game will be to your liking. Same with the opposite. Someone can watch a video of ME and proclaim the they think it will suck. Look at this threa d-- that's what people are fuckin' doin' - both positively and dumbass.

I make my assessment by reading, watching, and using my prior experience. I like previous BIO outings and I fully expect BIO to make a BIO game so i have no reason to think I won't lie it. Heck, even KOTOR which I make fun a lot of, I still find it a decent/good game. Just like I have my doubts about FO3; not because it's a sequel 9as want to love FO3 ); but whose making it since my prior experience with Betehsda games is that I find them be beyond shitty.

Everyone judges games before playing them, dumbass, Codex included. That's how we determine what games to buy, and what games not to buy.

Gah.

Yes everyone might decide whether they like or dislike the look of a game but its wrong to say 'Mass Effect is shit' or 'Mass Effect will be better than KOTOR' without actually playing the damn thing.

Oh, and double dumbass on you!

Dark Matter

Prophet
Volourn said:
This game is an Action RPG. Not a shooter. Not a full fledge RPG. An Action RPG.
Exactly. And for an action RPG, it's a HUGE step up from all the crappy hack-n-slash games that populate the genre. For one thing, the game actually contains RPing elements and the gameworld seems a lot more open-ended.

LOL it's funny how a console game is actually deeper than nearly all of its PC counterparts (I'm comparing it with other action RPGs).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes everyone might decide whether they like or dislike the look of a game but its wrong to say 'Mass Effect is shit' or 'Mass Effect will be better than KOTOR' without actually playing the damn thing.

Oh, and double dumbass on you!"

Sure, I can. And, so can you. My using your brains. I played KOTOR. I know what I likd and isliekd the game. I cna look at what i do know about ME and see how it will improve or be worse than KOTOR at, and go from there.

btw, You did the same thing with your 'KOTOR is better than ME b/c it's SW'. You made a judgement based on your SW fanboyism (whether it was actually sarcasm or not is irrelevant to the point here).

Eveyrbody has done this here.

Do you think ME will be worse than FO3? If you did, you did the same thing I did. Do you think ME will be better than DS? If you did, you did the same thing I did.

Stop being a whiny hypocrite, and amdit the reason why you are crying about my opinion that ME will be better than KOTOR is that you simply have a different opinion and got your feelings hurt. You, SW fanboy, you. L0L

"LOL it's funny how a console game is actually deeper than nearly all of its PC counterparts (I'm comparing it with other action RPGs)."

Not surprising to me., Shallow games have been the bread and butter of PC gaming since PC gaming existed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom