Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: collar grabbing, rape, and space nazis.

pug987

Scholar
Volourn said:
JE > KOTOR

Anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb.

"process of dumbing down games, which started with NWN1"

Simply not true. if anything, NWN was a 'smarting up' from the BGs.

I didn't pariculary like Kotor, though I still think it was better than Jade Empire overall. Still there are several aspects of gameplay and story where I think that JE is better than Kotor.

As for NWN1 I'm sure you're talking about the expansions (I liked HoU) because I can't believe anyone here would defend the OC.

bezimek

Scholar
aweigh said:
Yeah, Jade Empire was abysmal. Easily Bio's worst game yet. ME is a clear improvement over that one.

True. JE was and is worst Bioware game. Maybe Dragon Age will be better. As i read on Bioware forum in DA we will have direct control on party member during combat (tactical combat returns !!) - looks very promising.

Keldorn

Scholar
Volourn said:
JE > KOTOR

No.

The stupid NWN plague quest is a shallow bunch of crap, and ALL of the dialogue is as well.

The henchman depth/interactivity is basically ***eliminated***.

The NWN combat is *much* easier.

But you like the eye-candy upgrade, and the fact that it's in pseudo-3D. You also like the creaking crates/doors/chests, and the blatant lack of artistic variation in the surroundings... the buildings and areas all look the same, according to a copy & paste formula. Tile shit via the Bore-Aura engine.

Even the music is dumbed down for NWN. And the game is MUCH shorter.

Lol.

BG2 is an epic, difficult, convoluted PARTY-BASED CRPG with megadoses of highly developed NPC's... NWN1 is a shallow, short, glossy, repetitive, sparkling bird bath for pea brains and their straw perspectives.

Volourn said:
JE > KOTOR

Asfor the OP review, while I disagree with lots of it, at least it's well written and logical so I won't make a big fuss over a difference of opinion here.
Oh Volly, you're such a caricature.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN's character system is much deeper than BG2, it has more ways to complete quests, and it's writing is just as good.

Of course, you guys are ASSuming that I like NWN OC more than BG2. As usually, you are too stupid to figure out that ASSumption is wrong.

And, oh: ALL BIO GAMES > KOTOR

DiverNB

Liturgist
I liked KOTOR more than JE and NWN. I hated NWN so much in fact, that it is preventing me from picking up MotB, even though I own NWN2 (Which I also hate with a deep burning, fiery passion. Almost like an STD)

Call me crazy, but I love space RPG's, and Star Wars, so for me Bio's RPG's go a little something like this for me:

BG Series
KOTOR
ME
JE

NWN (Fuck I hate this piece of shit, I can't stress this enough)

I enjoyed Mass Effect a lot more then I thought I would. At first I though the game was piss poor, but as I got further in I enjoyed it more. Bioware certainly has some work to do on it for it's obvious sequel (Please give me better squad AI, for the love of christ) but I think they'll be able to make it better.

Some things that I think needed to be changed for the game:

I liked the way sidequests were gained, just not how they played out. Often they were boring and uninspired or were anti-climactic. There were good ones, but the more bland quests made the overall quality of side questing in the game suffer.

Give Squads better AI

More Consequences

Other then that, I think the game was pretty damn decent overall. Definitely worth a buy, even at $60

damaged_drone

Novice
i really enjoyed ME. it's paced well, i was engaged for the majority of my 40+ hours and it was a fun game.

combat is top tier for an rpg. writing/story is cheesy but torment is the only game ive played where it wasnt(fallout was ok in an understated way, but in terms of content its really not great). art is top notch. none of the lauded rpgs on here have anything as developed as the mako, as seemingly halfassed as it kind of is. there's a bunch of pretty barren (tho nice looking) planets to go exploring ala bg 1 if you want. theyre optional.
companions are standard bioware.ie better than fallout/arcanum. thanks to the 'digital actor' stuff they are much more lifelike/fully realised than bg2 and about the same in terms of personality.

theres a boss on noveria that puts a lie to the ops claim that stats make no difference in combat. anyone who gos to noveria early is getting fucked up the ass by the boss because their character just isnt strong enough. skill or no skill. and jesus, 'its all skill'. i mean theres a bit of aiming and then everything else is character stats and then tactically using powers and cover. thats ideal surely?

i cant think of a reason to say ME isnt better than bg2 btw. am open to being enlightened on that point tho.

DemonKing

Arcane
I quite liked the story in Jade Empire but I definitely prefered the original KOTOR...maybe it's the Star Wars geek in me or simply the fact that Bio manged to produce a better story than any of Lucas' prequel movies...

I put KOTOR and the original BG on my list of "All Time Classics". BG2 and to a slightly lesser extent JE:SE were also very good.

The original NWN was an abomination saved only by some half-decent expansions/mods/premimum modules.

Mass Effect will have to wait for me (no XBOX 360...).

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm usually lightly critical of Bioware--the godawful NWN OC aside--but JE left me absolutely cold. It was like KOTOR, only... less. Less writing, less depth in characters, less everything.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
JE was so bad not because it lacked choices or role-playing (which it did, but that's besides the point), it was so terrible because it was stale and boring and its characterizations were one-dimensional and transparent. It was just too full of cliche's and too bland for its own good. Combat was an improvement over KOTOR though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
you mean stun and one hit KO ?
Before finding out about that overpowered combo, the game was pretty OK. I spent time experimenting with styles just for fluff, and really try hard not to hate the China-Disney atmosphere. But after I finished it, I had no wish to replay it.

It could be more fun if they had removed the invisible barriers during combat though.

DiverNB

Liturgist
In regards to the combat being "All Skill" or "Mostly Skill" I'm not sure where this notion comes from.

I was exploring planets at level 10 and came up against a pirate base, these fuckers were INTENSE. It took me and my squad a good 15 seconds of focus fire on one pirate to bring him down. With Warp on his sorry ass (Makes them take increased dmg). After killing him, his 10 buddies gang raped my squad after our Soldier got one shot from a sniper, and my tech guy got thrown across the room into some explosives. I was perforated with bullets shortly after.

All skill my ass.

Keldorn

Scholar
Volourn said:
NWN's character system is much deeper than BG2, it has more ways to complete quests, and it's writing is just as good.

Of course, you guys are ASSuming that I like NWN OC more than BG2. As usually, you are too stupid to figure out that ASSumption is wrong.

Then why did you lump BG1 & BG2 together ? Why didn't you make a distinction ?Are you simply too STUPID to identify them independently, for sake of clarity and accuracy? And why in your earlier post didn't you make a distinction between the NWN OC and the NON-OC EP's & MODS ?

The character system isn't much deeper in NWN, only slightly (maybe you are one who blindly cheers on every D&D rule 'upgrade'), and the writing cannot be objectively *proven* to be just as good as in BG2. Yep V, some things are just a matter of opinion, and are not based in fact, like your fanboyish NWN1 preference.

You are one of the few who found NWN1 uplifting after BG2, and that makes you special.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
That last sentence is simply why I am confused on the priorities of Volourn standard of RPG.

What is it about NWN1 in its original form is so much better than BG2?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
He just says things like that to be contrary. It's old hat by now. Can you seriously imagine a comment like "JE > *" in any other context? Come on.

Keldorn

Scholar
aweigh said:
He just says things like that to be contrary. It's old hat by now. Can you seriously imagine a comment like "JE > *" in any other context? Come on.

I will not stand (or sit) idly by while Volournian injustices are passively tolerated.

I am a Paladin !

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks Edward. Your article just confirmed what I expected. Looking forward to playing this game, I'll like it.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I laughed pretty hard when shepard asked more about the cafeteria trays and she kept going on.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The character system isn't much deeper in NWN, only slightly (maybe you are one who blindly cheers on every D&D rule 'upgrade')"

Wrong. I was hugely opposed to E3 when it first came out. I simply saw the errors of my ways. btw, I said NWN wasn't dumb down comapred to the BG series overall. This is fact. And, character creation/development this simply isn't true.

And, why is NWN dialogue superior to BG2? That's easy. More choices on how to do things, dialogue skills, and quests that you can complete without fighting (or minimal fighting), and mor emultiple solutions illustrate this.

" like your fanboyish NWN1 preference."

Must explain why I rate NWN OC 75%. L0L

p.s. ME > JE > KOTOR

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I can't believe that somebody would defend that piece of shit OC in NWN. What a disaster that was. BG2 was vastly superior to it and Bioware hasn't come close to it since then. Although I loved Kotor, mostly because it's an excellent Star Wars game albeit not a great stand-alone RPG.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Oh, and thanks for the review. Sounds like a good still despite some noticeable flaws. I look forward to the PC version (hopefully coming out next year)

Deleted member 7219

Volourn's bullshit isn't even funny anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom