Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Hype, Praise, Criticisms, Minor Spoilers

Kortalh

Liturgist
Slashdot did a review for the game:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 19/0858206

Score:: 4/5: Though not without its flaws, this game is a classic title. It transcends the RPG genre, and realizes the dream of next-gen storytelling. Certain to be a part of many serious gamers' collections, and definitely worth purchasing.

Though the summary is ultra-hype ("transcends the RPG genre"?), the review itself seems more balanced.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And you are in complete control. The story of Mass Effect is ultimately what you want it to be. I was actually shocked by some of the choices BioWare's authors allow you to dictate; there are plot points in the game that have to happen, to be sure - but they happen on your terms. Some of the most extreme examples of this choice are modified by gameplay. Instead of making 'social skills' useless, new options are opened by exploring the Charm or Intimidate tracks. The results they unlock are dramatic, and have a tangible effect on how the game plays out."

He LIEZ! It can't be true!!!!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That review on gametrailers looked sweet and the slashdot one made me anxious to get out of work tomorrow. The game seems more and more like an updated KOTOR with some exploration and more action. Though I enjoyed KOTOR, we'll see about this one.

(just hope I can read all the item descriptions and what not on my non HD TV)

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, stop quoting that shit. Every game Bioware released was mediocre at best(except BG 2) and recieved nearly perfect scores with gushing remarks about the story, choises, characters and the like.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The review I quoted gave ME a 4/5 (80%), dumbass. Not exactly a super high score, doofus. In fcat, a review that ties the lowest score ME has effect praises it's C&C. Go figure. *shrug*

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
The PC world review is interesting. This is the same reviewer that gave Halo 3 its lowest score, so I'm inclined to accord him more respect than most hype blinded reviewers.

edit: I'd like to retract my endorsement of this reviewer. I was not aware at first that this was Matt Peckham, author of the infamous review slamming NWN2 for not being more like Oblivion. That said, if his complaints about Mass Effect are true, they are a cause for concern. He basically says there's no c&c, terrible ai, and all around bad combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"He basically says there's no c&c,"

See, this is why it's bogus because he's using an absolute. Does anyone - even Skyway - believe that ME has absolutely ZERO C&C? Come on, now. That's hyperbole (much like the constant super duper hype crap which I ignore and filter).

I try to focus on the meat of reviews hence the rveiews that actually use examples get my attention.

P.S. PC reviewer reviewing a console game should always be treated with doubt. Just sayin'.

I mean the site is *called* PC World. L0L

MetalCraze

Arcane
I believe that ME has C&C. but I dislike that there's not enough of that. or the consequence won't affect anything really important in most cases.

btw about pc magazines. ag.ru (web-magazine though - but I don't care) reviewed halo2 and JE when they came out on PC (Halo2 came out unchanged and JE changed to a better side as it seems). and they've called them mediocre games (with JE being a little better than mediocre) - which they are. So if ag.ru reviewer says that GearsOfWar is a boring game before it even came to our beloved PC platform - I won't have any reasons to not trust him just because it's a PC-oriented magazine. So that's not an argument, Volly.
however - other arguments may be true.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Volourn said:
P.S. PC reviewer reviewing a console game should always be treated with doubt. Just sayin'.

Because they are smarter?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Must explain the success of PC games like Dungeon Seige then. L0L

"I believe that ME has C&C."

hey, we're finally getting somewhere. Cool.

DemonKing

Arcane
I guess IGN were feeling guilty about their "Exclusive First Jade Empire OMFG 9.9/10 Best Game Ever!" review, seeing as they only gave this one 9.4 despite bad combat, clipping problems, frame rate problems, boring side-quests and poor NPC control.

Good to see gaming journalism at its finest! :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except it doesn't say the combat is 'bad'. It says combat has issues but it's not without its charm, and cna be fun 'once you get use to it' (ie. steep learning curve is no fun, l0l). Gotta read the review.

Still, I agree, 9.4 seems a tad high for all their criticisms.. That's why the number is irrelevant.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Volourn, I have to hand it to you. Your wall of ignorance is so tough that it will withstand a point-blank hit from a 120mm Sabot round.

Your a Great opponent.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Volourn said:
"He basically says there's no c&c,"

See, this is why it's bogus because he's using an absolute. Does anyone - even Skyway - believe that ME has absolutely ZERO C&C? Come on, now. That's hyperbole (much like the constant super duper hype crap which I ignore and filter).

I try to focus on the meat of reviews hence the rveiews that actually use examples get my attention.

I mean the site is *called* PC World. L0L

Why should we "treat them with doubt"? The reality is that ME is a game of great interest to many PC gamers, since it is made by a traditionally PC exclusive developer, and is supposed to be a "PC RPG" despite its platform. If a PC focused reviewer is critical of game aspects that are unique to it being on a console, then that may actually make the review more useful to the intended audience than if the author (lie most) assumes that all the console bullshit like horrible inventory and squad control (which would not be issues with a mouse and keyboard) is fine just because other console games have similiar problems.

To be honest, the fact that ME is a console game is probably the biggest problem that it has. Long loading times (no harddrive loading). Twitch-esque combat (since console gamers bitched about KOTOR's combat being to passive). Interface issues (no mouse and less screen real estate). These are all problems that were introduced by designing the game for a console, and for a console crowd.

Personally, I enjoyed KOTOR. It was lite on role playing, but the dark path was still fun. The combat was the biggest problem in that game, and if I had played it on the xbox, I think I'd have found the game so frustrating to control so as to be unplayable. I suspect that I will enjoy ME, if and when the game comes to the PC. But I'm fully expecting it to be liter on role playing than MoTB or the Witcher. But like KOTOR, I suspect that the need to make the game faster and more actiony for the console crowd will make the gameplay a chore at best.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Looks really good until the guy says how deep and awesomely large it is for the twentieth time and then says "gameplay is about 20 hours". Is that supposed to be impressive? Or is that without doing any of the optional quests or exploration and just following the plot? Makes me wonder, if there are a hundreds of worlds as they say, how many are worth visiting?

Deleted member 7219

I agree, Volourn has been more intelligent recently. Our Pretty Princess is growing up.

Solaris

Scholar
I don't know what sort of 'cosy' deal BioWare have with Microsoft over ME being 360 exclusive but I get the feeling Bio will reget it in the long run. Might have been better to strike a deal where it was dual platform, maybe PC release a few months later, etc....similiar to Assassin's Creed.

It does appear they have pushed the 360 too far, and the whole game has been compromised. At least if it was on PC people could turn the graphics down if they had a mid-range system (assuming they put decent sclaing in) and those with high-end PCs could get the game as intended. Also, mouse & keyboard UI would be less hassle to deal with I would think, or at least give them more scope/room to move in.

DefJam101

Arcane
sqeecoo said:
Volorun has lately been Right quite often.

Even if this is true, you shouldn't need a 9,311 post warm-up to start making sense.

He (or she.. or 'it') just needs to start paying less attention to statements, and more attention to facts: I.E.

The game's roleplaying choices are epic and meaningful. (Total garbage)

The game's roleplaying choices are epic and meaningful, like when I was an asshole to that alien bitch because I didn't want hot xeno-sex, and she came back and tried to kill me later on, or when I grabbed that guy's collar and got a 50$ fine. This is well-implemented, because it means you really have to think when you play, because your choices might come back to haunt you.

STATEMENT = SHIT

STATEMENT + EXAMPLE = O.K.

STATEMENT + EXAMPLE + SUPPORT = W1NNAR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom