Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Hype, Praise, Criticisms, Minor Spoilers

TheLostOne

Savant
Well...

Maybe it's just a difference of opinion.

Personally I love reading the extra stuff in games if it's well done and I'm interested. Kind of takes me back to the old 5 pound game manual days. It's not really filler if its in your menu and you can completely ignore it if you choose not to dive into it.

My point wasn't really that Matt had no valid opinions at all, and it certainly wasn't directed at your newspost Elwro. I just get the sense that a lot of people here are dying to hate this game, and the grab the first negative review they can find, ignore the inconsistencies in it and shout, "SEE!! SEE!!! IT SUCKS!!! I WIN!!!"

I could give a crap about the scores the game gets. Shit, I actually have a harder time reading the hype reviews because you have to dig deeper to get any substance. I like the look of the game, but I'm not going to model my opinion off of a reviewer's.

Also, much of what Matt wrote conflicts with stuff I've read by other people playing the game. The guy seems to exaggerate the flaws. That's not the same as saying they don't exist.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
TheLostOne said:
My point wasn't really that Matt had no valid opinions at all, and it certainly wasn't directed at your newspost Elwro. I just get the sense that a lot of people here are dying to hate this game, and the grab the first negative review they can find, ignore the inconsistencies in it and shout, "SEE!! SEE!!! IT SUCKS!!! I WIN!!!"

Don't get me wrong, I really want to bash it but I not the type that uses "then grabs the first negative review they can find, ignore the inconsistencies in it and shout, "SEE!! SEE!!! IT SUCKS!!! I WIN!!!". I just don't trust what the cocksucker or the "jurnalists" write, I'm waiting for a "review"(because it's a xbrick game so it has to be unofficial) from the players on the Codex - because if they gone write shit they will be bashed - simple.

So SOMEONE tell me is this game good or bad, can it be call an RPG? One more thing, I don't hate the game directly - I HATE the guys who made it.

(if my post sounds chaotic thats probably because I'm half-asleep)

Mamon

Scholar
Peckerhead or not, if it's true that most of the text in the game is optional and servers no other purpose than to be filler his assesment seems accurate. As galsiah argued in another thread, text for the sake of text isn't really good design. The text should serve a purpose in some form that relates to the player and his ability to proceed in the game. One example of this would be the hollodisk in Fallout where the PC finds out that mutants are sterile: the text serves as both a part of the puzzle of the history of the world, and as a vital part of information the player can use later in the game. The point he's trying to make, if I read him correctly, is that for all the massive ammounts of text in ME it serves no purpose other than being filler. And if that's the case, I have to agree that such design was a poor choice on Bioware's part.

The text is not forced upon you...its just optional LORE. Who the hell complains about lore? And he complains with the most retarded way "this text looks like some DnD stuff instead of a videogame" something like that. Seriously wtf.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but blindly clinging to any negative reviewer"

"I just get the sense that a lot of people here are dying to hate this game, and the grab the first negative review they can find, ignore the inconsistencies in it and shout, "SEE!! SEE!!! IT SUCKS!!! I WIN!!!"

You noticed that too? People who hate on x game ar eno better than the so called fanboys? They look for the most negative reveiws/points and use that as 'proof' that they are right in their opinion while ignoring anything that contradicts their thesis.

Besdies, a PC World writer is reviewing an xbox game. Does not compute. The guy can write complete sentences. I'll give him that much.

As for the 'fake' options. I'm not surprised there's a few of these. But found 3? Considideirng all the dialogue, that's not that horrible. Even the beloved MOTB has some fake dialogue that goes nowhere (*cough* Myrkul as Many As One *cough*).

At least 3 examples of C&C have been given and have been promptly ignored by negative ninnies.

I, on the other hand, have actually picked up some negative fibes of certain aspects of ME (inventory is relaly poor, and side quests planets are usually nothing more than extra fluff for combat/exploration xp).

Tsk, tsk.

Draikin

Novice
UE3 is SHITE, i'm sick to death of all these blurry textures popping up, it's worse than Halo 2's cutscenes. The framerate is really dodgy too (snow planets are satan)
All developers who bought the UE3 licence are pretty pissed right now. All UE3 games were cancelled, delayed or suffered from technical shortcomings. It sucks for everything exept corridor FPS. It doesn't bode well for Obsidian's Alien game.

Deleted member 7219

Bioshock was very stable and smooth for me and that was UE3.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Mamon said:
The text is not forced upon you...its just optional LORE. Who the hell complains about lore? And he complains with the most retarded way "this text looks like some DnD stuff instead of a videogame" something like that. Seriously wtf.
Look, he's not complaining about the fact that there is a large (?) ammount of lore in the game. What he's complaining about the under-utliization of the lore - i e the text has no bearing on gameplay whatsoever. I enjoy my lore as much as any other, but I enjoy it immensely much more if it somehow has any relevance to gameplay (like Fallout). The better design option of the two is to keep the text AND let it matter. It isn't an either/or situation.

EDIT: Given the context of the rest of the review, that's what I think he means. Taken by itself the phrase
Mass Effect's universe feel more like something into which BioWare simply poured its design docs for a pencil and paper RPG, where the descriptions might have actually mattered.
looks dubios, I agree. If he is complaining about the fact that there is a large ammount of lore in the game, on the other hand, he's an idiot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You gget a lot of lore dialogue if you so wish. That's the 'inquisitive/investigator' oiption often found on the dialogue wheel. All this info is then added into the 'Codex' (aka ME's version of the journal that all RPGs have), and you can access it when you want. It covers quests, characters you met with background basics, planetary information, and what not. So, yeah, it can be useful for the actual game, be interesting to read (if you like nthat kind of thing), and is optional.

Win, win, win.

Re\member, ME is a new setting, so no player is going to know one race from another, same with worlds, equipments, and anything else. And, this is often basic stuff that the character should know even if the player doesn't (at first).

P.S. I had no problem with Bioshock's stability on my 360.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I just picked up the game, and I'll be playing it in a few hours after class. I'll try to post my first impressions later tonight if nobody beats me to it.

If anyone cares about a lurker's opinion. :wink:

aries202

Erudite
I think the main problem with Mass Effect is that it tries to cater to both RPG gamers as well as FPS gamers. I can somewhat and somehow understand why Bioware did this - simply to haul in more gamers to buy Bioware's games.

The FPS crowd and shooter fans were to just hit the A-button and just go through the game in a hurry while the RPG fans were to hit the investigate option in diaolgue and read all the lore in the game. I have criticized this move both here and on the rpgwatch since it is nearly impossible to satisfy fans of bith genres. I think maybe Bioware plans to add DLC to the now deserted and desolated planets.

edit:

I just read the gamespot review - seems a very fine and balanced review.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
aries202 said:
I think the main problem with Mass Effect is that it tries to cater to both RPG gamers as well as FPS gamers. I can somewhat and somehow understand why Bioware did this - simply to haul in more gamers to buy Bioware's games.

This is a problem with almost any RPG nowadays and a big reason for the decline in the quality of the genre.

bezimek

Scholar
doctor_kaz said:
aries202 said:

This is a problem with almost any RPG nowadays and a big reason for the decline in the quality of the genre.

So true :(

made

Arcane
Volourn said:
"I just get the sense that a lot of people here are dying to hate this game, and the grab the first negative review they can find, ignore the inconsistencies in it and shout, "SEE!! SEE!!! IT SUCKS!!! I WIN!!!"

That in itself is a valid point, but after Bio's recent productions, namely KOTOR and JE - both similiarly overhyped games - it's understandable that people are sceptical towards overly positive reviews and tend to lean towards those that shine some light on the game's flaws.

Personally I haven't played ME so I reserve my judgement, but when I eventually get around to it I don't expect much more than shallow gameplay and a hopefully mildly entertaining storyline with the trademark omg-you-didn't-see-that-one-coming plot twist.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except even the reviews that have done super silly pie in the sky type scores (ie. anything 95%+) have mentioned various flaws. That's why it's best to read the actual review, and ignore the score.

My favorite ME review thus far was one that gave it "only" 80%. Why? 'cause it actually gave three examples of player C&C.

But, yeah, if you have problems with previous BIo efforts, i doubt ME will be such a relevation to make you do a 180. I expect it to be a BIO game with both the good and bad that entails.

However, I have no doubt it'll be sueprior in almost every way to KOTOR.

btw, JE wasn't even universally hated by even the Codex....

MetalCraze

Arcane
Besdies, a PC World writer is reviewing an xbox game. Does not compute.

why? a pc gamer can't hold the xbox pad right or something?

also I understand why you are pissed off. we know that most of console games are retarded, so ME will be a god there. however on PC it's a higher level of quality for the games. and I think anyone can compare ME to a quality pc rpgs - and no excuses "but it's for a console". it's still a game, damn it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"we know that most of console games are retarded,"

Most PC games are 'retarded'. *cough* Dungeon Seige. *cough*

I guess youd' have no problem with a xbox mag reviewing a PC game like MOTB or The Witcher in such an obvious bias and errorfilled way as this one.

Then again, everyone knows why you approve of PCWolrd's review... because it fits your preconceived notions of ME. that's cool; but just admit it at least.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Most PC games are 'retarded'. *cough* Dungeon Seige. *cough*

it may be a shock to you but...
PC has Ultimas, Elite, X series, BGs, PST, MotB, The Witcher, Star Craft, Dune, Undying and Dwarf Fortress for gods sake. and etc etc etc

What does your xbox have?

I guess youd' have no problem with a xbox mag reviewing a PC game like MOTB or The Witcher in such an obvious bias and errorfilled way as this one.

xbox reviewers probably have never seen anything better than xbox. while pc gamers are a superior race due to obvious reasons (stated above). so there you have - a nazi opinion in ur game world.

Then again, everyone knows why you approve of PCWolrd's review... because it fits your preconceived notions of ME. that's cool; but just admit it at least.

I do not approve it, but I agree with some points there.
though you know my thoughts better than me. Now run along.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I do not approve it, but I agree with some points there."

This says nothing as even I agree that he makes some good points. Duhduhduh. He wrote 16 paragraphs; he's bound to get soemthing right. L0L

"PC has Ultimas, Elite, X series, BGs, PST, MotB, The Witcher, Star Craft, Dune, Undying and Dwarf Fortress for gods sake. and etc etc etc"

It may come to a shock to you; but the PC 9like consoles) has many mopre shitty games than good ones and that has always been a case.

"What does your xbox have?"

Console = more than just an xbox

However, my 360 alone, i have bought 10 games, 1 are gave away 'cause it wans't good, 2 aren't so good, and the rest are great. That means 7 out of 10 of my 360 games are pretty darn good. That sure beats my ratio of good to bad PC game purchases. L0L

"what exactly was erroneous about this one?"

It's been covered in this thread already; but...

He claims that ME has pretty much no C&C despite other reviewers having given actual exmaples of C&C existing. And, we've seen videos hinting at those C&Cs. *shrug* That sounds an 'error' to me on his part.

MetalCraze

Arcane
but the PC 9like consoles) has many mopre shitty games than good ones and that has always been a case.

yes! stop porting crap from consoles!

7 out of 10 of my 360 games are pretty darn good

like what?
well we already know that one of them is two worlds which is a shit even for a PC game...
(then again, you think JE is a good game - though dialogues there suck, you can have only 1 companion with you and the combat is utterly boring)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Volourn said:
"what exactly was erroneous about this one?"

It's been covered in this thread already; but...

He claims that ME has pretty much no C&C despite other reviewers having given actual exmaples of C&C existing. And, we've seen videos hinting at those C&Cs. *shrug* That sounds an 'error' to me on his part.
you mean the
with spurts of action inelegantly sandwiched between exhaustive dialogue trees that don't change the game to speak of. Smoothly paced or no, your conversations don't shape your experience in Mass Effect so much as shuffle you along like a weirdly glib FedEx operative.
bit?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"yes! stop porting crap from consoles!"

Yeah. 'Cause games like Dungeon Seige and Pools of Radiance 2 were console ports. L0L

"like what?"

Bioshock, NHL 2008, and Smackdown vs Raw 2008 a sjust three examples.

"though dialogues there suck"

Suck or not, JE has LOTS of C&C. This is undisputable.

Suicide Bunny: Yup.

vrok

Liturgist
aries202 said:

I have criticized this move both here and on the rpgwatch since it is nearly impossible to satisfy fans of bith genres.
First of all... Deus Ex.

Second, Halo fans aren't "FPS gamers", they're just Halo fans. Neither would I consider strictly KotOR fans as "RPG gamers".

Edit: Please don't cite Bioshock as a good game, unless good gameplay isn't a criteria. :sadpanda:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioshock, NHL 2008, and Smackdown vs Raw 2008 a sjust three examples.

NHL 2008. oh please! it's the very same crap - they're just changing the year.
Bioshock. haven't played it yet. and don't want to tbh. because many people say it's a very dumbed down SS2 wanna be. something tells me they can't be wrong.

Suck or not, JE has LOTS of C&C. This is undisputable.

it has C&C. but not lots - comparing to fallout. and I have every right to compare these games. it's the same rpg league you know. oh and please don't go for "it's a arpg" crap. that isn't an excuse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom