Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Hype, Praise, Criticisms, Minor Spoilers

Deleted member 7219

Wow... I have a lot of respect for GS now for going against the hype and not drooling all over it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So.. which is it? Is the combat weak or is the combat fun and exciting? please make up your mind Gamespot.

btw, While the score is 'low' (lol, since when is 8.5 low?); the actual review is mostly overall positive. *shrug*

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah; but at least you got to see the game in motion to judge actual gameplay and such for yourself. The score was definitely most likely too high. No game is worth 9.6. NONE.

Deleted member 7219

I'd say TIE Fighter CD comes close. But even that wasn't perfect, it had Stack Overflow on most Windows PCs which made it a pain in the arse to start... basically, every time you launched it you were gambling, pretty much a 1 in 3 chance that it would load up correctly, or crash with a 'Stack Overflow' error, even when you used the Lucasarts workaround.

Dark Matter

Prophet
It seems like you have the option to actually kill(or atleast attack) some of your party members(there's an option to "shoot wrex" in one of the scenes shown in the gametrailers video). Interesting.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Yeah, what's up with GS? On the main page, they say "fun battles make the game worth playing" but on the actual review, they list the combat as one of the weak points of the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
We're doofuses. They claim actual character on character combat is fun; but it's the vehicle combat is 'weak' to them except in certain situations..

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mamon said:
Is Volourn actually a girl?

No. He's got his tag for acting like a whiny girl it seems.

also if a respected resource like IGN says that something shooter-related has issues it can only mean two things:

a) they didn't get good payment for the article
b) combat actually sucks big time

Yeah, what's up with GS? On the main page, they say "fun battles make the game worth playing" but on the actual review, they list the combat as one of the weak points of the game.

well imagine - some Microsoft/EA dude will open their front-page and see them bashing their game. the catastrophe.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Actually, in the actual review, they say the combat is fun, It's the Mako combat that is 'weak'. GS's review is overall positive. Score is irrelevant.

edit: I got tagged because I bitched VD out for acting like a whiny girl, he banned me, others' whined for me to be unbanned, and then I got this sexy tag 'cause I'm HOT pussy that all the guys here seemingly want to bang.

R00fles!

Kortalh

Liturgist
dagorkan said:
"gameplay is about 20 hours". Is that supposed to be impressive? Or is that without doing any of the optional quests or exploration and just following the plot?

As I understand it, a rush-through of the main plot takes about 15-20 hours. An average play-through, where you do a decent amount of exploring and side-quests is around 30-35 hours.

Once you beat it, you unlock New Game+ mode, three extra 'hybrid' classes, and an increase in the max level cap. Presumably (hopefully) there's enough of a difference between classes and in-game decisions that you can play through it twice, bringing it up to 60-70 hours.

Take all that with a grain of salt, though. I'm only going based on hearsay, and I haven't verified any of those claims, so I could be completely wrong.

At any rate, I long for the good ol' days of 80-hour games. $50 / 80 hours = $0.63 per hour of entertainment. Nowadays, $65 / 35 hours = $1.86 per hour.

Draikin

Novice
So far (6 hours into the game), I'm disapointed.

I dont expect Bioware to make deep RPGs but with the budget allocated to ME it should actually shows it on the screen. Framerate is around 15fps most of the time, even menu are slow, it can take 10s to load a 2D map. Everything feels empty. UI and menu looks amateurish after playing Assassin's Creed.

1 race, 2 gender, 3 character's backgroud history, 3 classes, a dozen skills, 1 body type per genre ... customization is pretty limited exept the face. Even for the face some stuff are missing: you cant have grey hairs and all haircuts make you look like an idiot.

Combat isn't interesting nor fun. I feel cheated playing as a Sentinel (mage+tech) since most combats happen after a cinematic I'm always on the first line getting shot like a rabbit. Vehicule combat is probably the worst idea Bioware ever had.

Dialogs/quests/story still feel like KOTOR. I encountered some fake choices: 3 totally differents dialog options with Shepard always saying the same stuff whatever you chose. It's also difficult to understand the Renegade/Paragon system.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I encountered some fake choices: 3 totally differents dialog options with Shepard always saying the same stuff whatever you chose.

you're probably wounding Volly's fanboy heart now.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
skyway said:
I encountered some fake choices: 3 totally differents dialog options with Shepard always saying the same stuff whatever you chose.

you're probably wounding Volly's fanboy heart now.

That little thing won't even scratch him.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
wow, that games sure looks like a load of shit. Talk about downfall of the codex, this thread is a good example for it. A bunch of idiots getting excited about asinine IGN, Gamespot etc. reviews .

How many times have heard stuff like "OMG dude, you can totally shape the whole story" about oblivion?
The only one who has a right to defend this game is Volly, all the rest of you stfu.

The PC World review is interesting. Its appearently written by this idiot Matt Peckham, but nevertheless I've enjoyed seeing him trash this peace of overhyped garbage.

Jasede said:
Be sure to post your impressions, this seems like a fun game.
Aren't you the furry who is constantly lamenting about how the codex changed for the worse? Well get the fuck out of here idiot, that will help very much to bring this place back on track again.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seems like Tales has been drinking too much coffee. :wink:

The only one who has a right to defend this game is Volly, all the rest of you stfu.

Nah, I don't feel like I'm defending it. Since the xbox I have has been collecting dust for months now I'm rather interested in the game. Mostly because I'm a sf nut and haven't had a good space opera for ages. I don't expect anything more than Kotor with shit combat and some pretty graphics, but it never hurts to hope though. Even if it sucks this season has been great for both rpg's and games in general. It's been ages since I've had several games on my playlist that I all liked.

MOTB is aching for a replay. Despite the crap controlls and NWN2 engine it's easily the best traditional rpg since Torment.

The witcher is the best action rpg I've ever played and is my fav game atm. It's deep, has lots of c&c and most importantly, it's great fun to play.

COD4 has been a great ride. It's short and has the same railroaded gameplay as cod1 and 2. But it does so with so much style that I couldn't help but love it.

Crysis is great fun and perhaps the best shooter yet. It boils my poor radeon x1950 though.

All in all there are just too many good games to play with my schedule. It would be nice if I can add Mass Effect to that list. At the very least most Bioware games have been rather enjoyable, so I'm not too afraid of buying a turd.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
UE3 is SHITE, i'm sick to death of all these blurry textures popping up, it's worse than Halo 2's cutscenes. The framerate is really dodgy too (snow planets are satan)

Anyway, i finished the game. I enjoyed it, superb ending and music. but the side quests are pretty bad, the ones on citadel and the "plot planets" are decent (if very basic rpg fare) but the ones out in space and on the planets where you drive around the mako are like something out of on MMOG, bloody awful.

The witcher is superior.

bluecuracao

Novice
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
wow, that games sure looks like a load of shit.

Thank you man. Your comment should be post #1 and not everyone drooling about this shiny boring shooter. ME is not even a PC game, so fuck you, Codex!

TheLostOne

Savant
You kids are cute.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that this is the game that transcends the RPG genre or some shit so stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Looks like a fun game along the same vein as Deus Ex.

Also, I'd take that PC World review with a grain of salt.

Matt Peckerhead said:
A Lexical Jungle
You'll spend a remarkable amount of time just reading journal and codex (think encyclopedia) entries about people, places, and creatures (like the one in this shot) as a kind of game-within-a-game reward for chatting up NPCs or clicking on random objects and computer stations. For all the lovely optional background detail, though, it's a great example of where Mass Effect violates its own grammar by telling instead of showing. Since when did reading flat scrolling text become its own gameplay mechanics? It's even more disappointing when you're scanning non-interactive planets that amount to little more than blocks of descriptive text. It all makes Mass Effect's universe feel more like something into which BioWare simply poured its design docs for a pencil and paper RPG, where the descriptions might have actually mattered.

I love how he's offended that there's lots of OPTIONAL backstory and information on the galaxy to read. He actually seems to suggest that Bio should have showed all this information to him instead of forcing him to read it.

It's funny that you guys are taking this dude so seriously when he's known for being a complete and utter retard. Not buying the hype is one thing, but blindly clinging to any negative reviewer you can find regardless of competence is idiotic.

Looking forward to playing this game. It looks to be pretty fun.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Aren't you the furry who is constantly lamenting about how the codex changed for the worse? Well get the fuck out of here idiot, that will help very much to bring this place back on track again.

Woah, retarded much? Sorry I think that a game looks like fun. Why don't you get the fuck off yourself you fucking asshole? Oh wait I know why, you have your head too deep in your own ass to be able to still walk away. Lick my cornhole. Leave Britney alone.

Edit: train tickets, bitch

pic unrelated
063fb344e270ac6c1cefe4297821ccc66974106b.png

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
TheLostOne said:
It's funny that you guys are taking this dude so seriously when he's known for being a complete and utter retard. Not buying the hype is one thing, but blindly clinging to any negative reviewer you can find regardless of competence is idiotic.
What? Read the beginning of my newspost. Do I take the guy seriously? It's even more funny if one of the few level headed opinions of the game comes from a guy who sounded like a complete shithead before, even if some idiocy managed to creep into his ME review, too.

Anyway, this news was just meant to be a test whether the Codex would like ME news or not. Peckham's piece was certainly the most interesting review I could post about at the moment.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
TheLostOne said:
Matt Peckerhead said:
A Lexical Jungle
You'll spend a remarkable amount of time just reading journal and codex (think encyclopedia) entries about people, places, and creatures (like the one in this shot) as a kind of game-within-a-game reward for chatting up NPCs or clicking on random objects and computer stations. For all the lovely optional background detail, though, it's a great example of where Mass Effect violates its own grammar by telling instead of showing. Since when did reading flat scrolling text become its own gameplay mechanics? It's even more disappointing when you're scanning non-interactive planets that amount to little more than blocks of descriptive text. It all makes Mass Effect's universe feel more like something into which BioWare simply poured its design docs for a pencil and paper RPG, where the descriptions might have actually mattered.

I love how he's offended that there's lots of OPTIONAL backstory and information on the galaxy to read. He actually seems to suggest that Bio should have showed all this information to him instead of forcing him to read it.
Peckerhead or not, if it's true that most of the text in the game is optional and servers no other purpose than to be filler his assesment seems accurate. As galsiah argued in another thread, text for the sake of text isn't really good design. The text should serve a purpose in some form that relates to the player and his ability to proceed in the game. One example of this would be the hollodisk in Fallout where the PC finds out that mutants are sterile: the text serves as both a part of the puzzle of the history of the world, and as a vital part of information the player can use later in the game. The point he's trying to make, if I read him correctly, is that for all the massive ammounts of text in ME it serves no purpose other than being filler. And if that's the case, I have to agree that such design was a poor choice on Bioware's part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom