Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Hype, Praise, Criticisms, Minor Spoilers

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NHL 2008. oh please! it's the very same crap - they're just changing the year."

Have you played NHL 2007 and 2008 both? I have. I LOATHED 2007. I LOVE 2008. Nice try, though.

"it has C&C. but not lots - comparing to fallout."

That's cool. Not all games can be FO. FO does soem things better than JE, and JE does somethings better than FO. Perish the thought, OMG!

MetalCraze

Arcane
JE does somethings better than FO

except graphics

what?

Have you played NHL 2007 and 2008 both? I have. I LOATHED 2007. I LOVE 2008. Nice try, though.

ah yes. and now explain to me how one hockey game of a series could be better than the other hockey game of the same series? it's a hockey damn it - it has stoned rules. how can you bring something different and new to it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"except graphics

what?"

Superior character interaction for one.

"ah yes. and now explain to me how one hockey game of a series could be better than the other hockey game of the same series? it's a hockey damn it - it has stoned rules. how can you bring something different and new to it?"

Yeah, because FO1 and FO2 are the same exact game. BG1, and BG2 are the exact same. FF1 and FF10 are the same exact game. Oops... they aren't.

Neither is NHL '93 and NHL 2008.

2008, for on emajor thing, improves the game play. It's also more challenging than 2007. The season/franchise mode is deeper and more rewarding as well.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Superior character interaction for one.

oh yes. it actually the only thing. but BG2 and PST handled it better. So here JE also sucks.

yes but I'm f.e. looking for a hockey in hockey. and exactly they've never change a hockey part. why? you can't invent a nucular catapult within it's rules.
unlike FO.

Mamon

Scholar
Just because something is done better in other game doesn´t mean the game sucks, you are like an anti-fanboy.

Is it just me or Volourn has owned everyone in like 3 threads simultaniously?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"oh yes. it actually the only thing. but BG2 and PST handled it better. So here JE also sucks."

But, in your post above, you claimed that it only beat FO in graphics? GEEZ.. It didn't long for you to change that.

btw, NEWSFLASH: Just because x and y game does z better than f doesn't mean z sucks in f.

Are you smart enough to follow that logic? We'll see...

p.s. It's debatable about PST/BG2 doing it better than JE. JE does a heck of a lot of lot with its NPCs espicially interactions. Hell, with one npc you cna get them to 'come out of the closet so to speak' through C&C, and another you can literally detrmine what happens to their soul. Can't get better party interaction than that.

"why? you can't invent a nucular catapult within it's rules.
unlike FO."

L0L Good point. You should try the various Mutant League games. HA!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Just because something is done better in other game doesn´t mean the game sucks, you are like an anti-fanboy.

it actually means that the game is worse than the good games. which means it's either average or sucks.

actually JE sucks.
combat is just a click-fest.
character interactions are poor - compared to BG2 and PST ones. and why shouldn't I compare? it was proven that doing a good interactions is possible.
options are poor. it's like 1 good option and 2 bad options always.
dumbed down stats (3 stats, oh please - you call that normal?)
a poor character customization.

the bright side:
the setting and art. but it does not save JE.

so there you have your JE.

Is it just me or Volourn has owned everyone in like 3 threads simultaniously?

no he didn't.

L0L Good point. You should try the various Mutant League games. HA!

weren't we speaking about NHL?

Volly please don't act like a stereotypical blonde girl -
But, in your post above, you claimed that it only beat FO in graphics? GEEZ.. It didn't long for you to change that.

we were talking about things EXCEPT graphics no?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"it actually means that the game is worse than the good games. which means it's either average or sucks."

O RLY?

Using your logic...

FO has the best C&C ever which means both The Witcher and MOTB C&C suck because they don't do it as good as FO. HAHAHAHA!

Don't you see how lameo that is?

"combat is just a click-fest."

That's all I do in FO. Click, click, click. Of cours,e if you just click to attack in JE, you are gonna die. That's a fact.

"character interactions are poor"

Nope. They are even very good. even, if agruably, they're 'worse' than BG2 and PST; it doesn't mean they suck.

"options are poor. it's like 1 good option and 2 bad options always."

Except, you often have 4 or 5 options, and not all are black and white.

"dumbed down stats (3 stats, oh please - you call that normal?)"

3 main stats, 3 substas, 3 dialogue skills, at least a score of styles, a bunch of variant gems. Sure, it's not a smany other games; but it's nowhere close to being 'poor'.

"a poor character customization."

Nah. you can customize your name, gender, model, stats, abilities, personality, interatcions with the npcs, and so on, and so forth.

"we were talking about things EXCEPT graphics no?"

Yeah; but you wer ebasically saying that JE beats FO in graphics; but that's it. You dared me to prove you wrong. I did that EASILY.

"weren't we speaking about NHL?"

I wa sjust pointing out in the minds of game makers no genre is sacred; not even sports with the Mutant league and 'Blitz' crap out there.

P.S. I have brown hair.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FO has the best C&C ever which means both The Witcher and MOTB C&C suck because they don't do it as good as FO. HAHAHAHA!

sigh... Volly - try to read what I'm writing carefully ok. I never said that the game that is worse than best - suck. there's a grey scale of course, but you as a Bioware fanboy with black & white choices won't understand that.

Of cours,e if you just click to attack in JE, you are gonna die. That's a fact.

actually I've completed the game just by clicking and switching between horse-demon and leaping-tiger styles.

Except, you often have 4 or 5 options, and not all are black and white.

we were playing different games it seems - because JE is just a variations of black and white choices all down the road.

3 main stats, 3 substas, 3 dialogue skills, at least a score of styles, a bunch of variant gems. Sure, it's not a smany other games; but it's nowhere close to being 'poor'.

except most of fighting styles f.e. are useless and more like for a cosmetic difference there.

Nah. you can customize your name, gender, model, stats, abilities, personality, interatcions with the npcs, and so on, and so forth.

especially personality, Volly - it's that dark/light side again.

You dared me to prove you wrong. I did that EASILY.

but the fact is a fact. fallout is still > JE. in everything else.

I wa sjust pointing out in the minds of game makers no genre is sacred; not even sports with the Mutant league and 'Blitz' crap out there.

yes. but we were speaking about the lack of innovations in NHL.

P.S. I have brown hair.

you aren't a girl either. but that does not save you from acting like a spoiled one.

aboyd

Liturgist
I don't know if this will stop them, but I do know that I would like to hear from a Codex veteran about this game. In particular, if you've played it, is it playing out like NWN 2 OC? That is, the first time through you think it's wide open because of all the trick dialogues, but then you replay and almost can't stand it because you discover that everything is forced? For example, in NWN 2 OC, my first play through I truly thought you could drop some NPCs, because there were dialogues that implied it. I never explored those dialogues until I tried playing a mean, self-absorbed fighter. All of the sudden, I realized I was handcuffed. Now, I'd say I almost hate the NWN 2 OC because of all the false choices and somewhat disguised railroading. Is ME doing the same thing? And is that why some reviewers think there is a huge amount of choice, while others say the opposite?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
aboyd said:
I don't know if this will stop them, but I do know that I would like to hear from a Codex veteran about this game. In particular, if you've played it, is it playing out like NWN 2 OC? That is, the first time through you think it's wide open because of all the trick dialogues, but then you replay and almost can't stand it because you discover that everything is forced? For example, in NWN 2 OC, my first play through I truly thought you could drop some NPCs, because there were dialogues that implied it. I never explored those dialogues until I tried playing a mean, self-absorbed fighter. All of the sudden, I realized I was handcuffed. Now, I'd say I almost hate the NWN 2 OC because of all the false choices and somewhat disguised railroading. Is ME doing the same thing? And is that why some reviewers think there is a huge amount of choice, while others say the opposite?

I'm waiting for this some time now...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I have no doubt that ME does railroad you at points. I'm not delusional nor am I going in expecting it to be FO.

SilasMalkav

Educated
Skyway loses at life. He can't argue himself out of a paper bag. I would also like him to occasionally use some form of capitalisation in his posts. But it seems he is too retarded.

Also as for console vs pc, i'd like to say:

Trigger Happy by Stephen Poole said:
The average age of videogame players is now estimated to be twenty-eight in the United States; one 2000 survey reported that 61 percent of all U.S. videogamers are eighteen and over, with a full 42 percent of computer gameplayers and 21 percent of console gameplayers thirty-six years of age or older.

Just becanse you like something and others don't, doesn't mean that the thing that others like is stupid, or that people that like it are stupid. The difference is mainly that console users prefer things to be easier to pick up and less frustrating to manage, which doesn't mean that they lack depth. Ok so some games my lack depth in order to be simpler, but that's always going to be the fault of the games developer rather than the end user.

PC Users are not superior, they are simply more technical and more willing to put up with far more shit than console users. I'd say that before the xbox360 and the ps3 came out that there was a minor gap between consoles and pc's as far as content went, but also that the gap was mostly on how developers delt with the technology, rather than what the technology was capable of.

And PC world's review is shit, because they're an overpriced over advetised British company that wouldn't know a good computer game if it bent them over and fucked then in the arse. They barely even have a games section in their stores, it's just a shelf with packs of crash bandicoot and fifa 2007.

Now stop bloody arguing.

SilasMalkav

Educated
Volourn said:
I have no doubt that ME does railroad you at points. I'm not delusional nor am I going in expecting it to be FO.

FO railroads you at points. I mean I still had to fetch that bloody water chip/gecko. And I had to destroy both the Master and the Enclave. It wouldn't let me help the Enclave.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Actually, you don't need the water chip (Vault 13 just has a bad ending, IIRC), and you can help the Enclave (become a mutant, L0L). But, yeah, FO does railroad you at times; but comaprd to most RPGs including ME (I presume); it's railroading is very minimal.

P.S. I gots ME!

SilasMalkav

Educated
Volourn said:
Actually, you don't need the water chip (Vault 13 just has a bad ending, IIRC), and you can help the Enclave (become a mutant, L0L). But, yeah, FO does railroad you at times; but comaprd to most RPGs including ME (I presume); it's railroading is very minimal.

P.S. I gots ME!

Damn you. Two more days for ME for me. :( I don't think I ever saw the become a mutant bit for FO2. How do you get to that? It's probably just been too long since I last played it to remember all the details.

I've seen some trailers where one of your shipmates is about to explode a nuke to take out some Geth at the cost of her own life, so I assume there will be at least some meaningful outcomes, but as I haven't played it I don't know exactly. All I can say is that since most people here argue that story is king, they really should stfu until they actually experience the story.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I don't think I ever saw the become a mutant bit for FO2. How do you get to that? It's probably just been too long since I last played it to remember all the details."

When talking to the lead mutant (and/or Master? not sure); they ask you where Vault 13 is. If you want, you tell them and get turned into a mutant and lead the charge to destroy V13 massacring your former Vaultmates. Not a very satisfying chocie, imo, as it to me it feels like another 'you lose' type outcome.

And, yeah, i'll post my impressions later today. I'll be starting the game in like 10 minutes. heh.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I played through most of the Prologue last night. Seth Green's character appears early on and is fairly jarring since his voice is so recognizable, but luckily he's only a minor character.

Personally, I liked the dialog wheel thing a lot better than I'd expected. It keeps the conversations flowing and movie-like, which is what I presume Bioware was trying to emulate. The one-word summaries have been pretty indicative of what the sentence it represents will be, and after a while you almost stop noticing the wheel all together.

Is it a great roleplaying game? So far, no. The leveling system is a bit watered down, and the storyline (at least in the prologue) has been completely linear. Your dialog choices can result in different NPC responses, but you still have to go on the mission. However, if you approach the game as an Action game with stats and dialog, it excels tremendously.

The class system has you choose from Soldier, Tech, Magic, Tech-Soldier, Magic-Soldier, and Tech-Magic. I went with Magic-Soldier, and obviously got a cross between Magic powers and weapons skills. Each power/skill has a ranking, and when you gain levels you get points to raise the skills you choose. Most skill increases result in accuracy/damage bonuses, but they can also unlock new abilities or extra power/skill bars. I hope that makes sense, it's not nearly as complicated as my description makes it out to sound. To compare, it works quite similarly to Fallout.

Most relevantly to the Codex, there are two dialog skills: Charm and Intimidate. They do what you expect. If your skill isn't high enough, the dialog option appears unusable in grey.

I probably spent as much time in the in-game knowledge base as I did actually playing the game. When people mention new topics in conversation, or you stumble upon them in the course of gameplay, the entries are added to your codex. There are also some "hidden" entries, in that you have to explore your surroundings. Click on the ship's engine, for example, and you get an entry about how it works (and +10 experience).

As for downsides, I haven't really been playing long enough to notice anything major. The texture-loading delays that people have been complaining about hasn't been very noticeable -- only when you load a saved game, and then only for 5-10 seconds.

At any rate, I should be out of the prologue soon, which I assume means that I'll be taking control of my ship, and I'll finally be getting to the real meat of the game. I'll report back later, if nobody beats me to it.

sabishii

Arbiter
Quick. More impressions, people. I am about to run to the store and buy this game because I went back home and left all my games in my apartment. X_X

MetalCraze

Arcane
Most relevantly to the Codex, there are two dialog skills: Charm and Intimidate. They do what you expect. If your skill isn't high enough, the dialog option appears unusable in grey.

retarded.

Special_Can

Scholar
I've done the prologue, the citadel, and another story planet. It's been fairly linear so far, although most if all quests give you options on how to solve them. Every quest has at least one chance to use Charm or Intimidate, some even more. I don't think it affects much other then how much Paragon or Renegade points you get but I'm not sure.

For example, when I first got access to the galaxy map I headed to a moon in some random solar system. I got a quest to deal with a man named Kyle who had a compound on the on the moon, and had a whole bunch of worshippers who called themselves Biotic Cultists. I guess he killed two alliance(humans government and army) members who landed on the moon earlier. Clicking on the door I had the option to either use my charm or intimidate to get through without a fight, or if I didn't have enough skill in either, fight my way in. Luckily, I had 4 points in charm and was able to get in without a fight. There was about twenty cultists inside which would have been hell if I didn't have enough charm. Anyways, once I reached Father Kyle, I had another chance to use my charm. This time I didn't have the skill to convince him he did wrong. I had to fight my way out. :D

Also, at the end of the latest main story planet I had a big choice to make. I'm guessing this has a big effect on the endgame. I'm also guessing that I will have a major decision to make at the end of each of the coming main story planets that will give me my ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom