Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More Deus Ex: HR stuff.

Data4

Arcane
The conversation system plays out like most Western role-playing games, with a list of options to choose from at certain breaks in the dialogue. Using this conversation system, we informed Sarif that we intended to approach the situation using nonlethal tactics. He then told us what to expect from the warehouse's layout and asked whether we'd prefer to go with the long-range tranquilizer rifle or the short-range stun gun. Rifle, please.

Nod to the first game or a ripoff?

The only issue we had was with the power gauge. Each skill, including cloaking and seeing through walls, uses up a portion of your overall power gauge, which you can think of as Jensen's internal batteries. And that makes sense: These are special technologies that require power to use. But sneaking up behind an enemy and performing a stealth takedown on him is also one of the things that consumes power, even though you're often just giving him a good old-fashioned judo chop to the neck. The only way to fully replenish these power cells is to find consumables scattered about, such as energy bars.

Hmm... is this a fair trade for health re-gen?

Full article here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deuse ... 3B4&page=1

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wonder if anyone thinks it won't be a piece of shit

and asked whether we'd prefer to go with the long-range tranquilizer rifle or the short-range stun gun

Do you shoot the guy or do you shoot the guy? Help me I can't decide!

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
I wonder if you can destroy a tank with any weapon in DX:HR, like you can in ArmA 2?

Probably not. :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:

:retarded:

Obviously never played Deus Ex.

JC DENTON
All I've got with me is a pistol and an electric prod. I don't mind a test, but
UNATCO better issue some hardware.

PAUL DENTON
Remember that we're police. Stick with the prod. It will stun your opponents or
knock them unconscious. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to
eliminate resistance. Just in case, though, Manderley wants you to pick an
additional weapon: a sniper rifle, a GEP gun, or a minicrossbow.

"Herpa derpa, do I shoot the guy or do I shoot the guy?"

DX:HR will have you able to do H2H and use a variety of non-lethal weapons. Obviously there was no point for a cattle prod since you can use your fists now and so you get a choice of long or short range non-lethal ordinance as a back up. In DX you had the cattle prod as your H2H and a longer ranged non-lethal weapon.

Facetious complaints are facetious.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
commie said:
MetalCraze said:

:retarded:

Obviously never played Deus Ex.

JC DENTON
All I've got with me is a pistol and an electric prod. I don't mind a test, but
UNATCO better issue some hardware.

PAUL DENTON
Remember that we're police. Stick with the prod. It will stun your opponents or
knock them unconscious. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to
eliminate resistance. Just in case, though, Manderley wants you to pick an
additional weapon: a sniper rifle, a GEP gun, or a minicrossbow.

"Herpa derpa, do I shoot the guy or do I shoot the guy?"

DX:HR will have you able to do H2H and use a variety of non-lethal weapons. Obviously there was no point for a cattle prod since you can use your fists now and so you get a choice of long or short range non-lethal ordinance as a back up. In DX you had the cattle prod as your H2H and a longer ranged non-lethal weapon.

Facetious complaints are facetious.

FRUA20.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
When was the last time I was wrong?

It's kinda fail that you bring DX into this where you could avoid combat by simply finding an alternative way through the open-ended levels. Not popamole your way through a linear corridor like in this piece of shit with the uber choice of weapons "a gun that stuns" or "a gun that stuns"

Peter

Arcane
At least watch a gameplay video (not a trailer) of the game you're ripping on. You'd know that HR, while not as open as Deus Ex, isn't all linear corridors.

Bah, why do I bother?

Anyway, very surprisingly, I still am cautiously optimistic about this one. Seems like they haven't gone full derp. Game will probably be good for what it is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah jeez it has two corridors being in parallel to each other where you still have to kill enemies that just stay there doing nothing - that totally changes everything wow!

It's a popamole shooter. You do understand that you need to come only from the pre-set side of the box so scripts spawning 3 AIs in front of you to play shooting range with won't look stupid?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ha ha ha...fuck, you are proved wrong, so now you try and twist the discussion into the relative merits of each games' level construction!

YOU were bitching about the 'use gun or use gun' choice. YOU WERE NOT bitching about level design.

If you're drowning, the obvious thing would be to let go of the boulder you're clinging onto, not grab another one!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sorry to say it guise, but I'm with Skyway on this one. It sounds as though there will be little to no alternative routes or free roaming in this game. Of course I don't know, but I get the feeling that choices are narrowed down to which way you shoot your way through, and not which exploratory route you take through maps and which order you deal with things, like in the original.

I fucking hope I'm wrong and you guys are right, but I get an eerie feeling, when they focus so fucking much on telling us the differences in combat style, and the difference between stealth and combat, yet tell us nothing about how they've designed the maps and areas, and how freeform/non-freeform the approach to each challenge is.

Oesophagus

Arcane
The storyfag in me is somehow cautious over HR. I'm guessing it won't be brilliant, but maybe at least it'll be good enough.

Grunker said:
Sorry to say it guise, but I'm with Skyway on this one. It sounds as though there will be little to no alternative routes or free roaming in this game. Of course I don't know, but I get the feeling that choices are narrowed down to which way you shoot your way through, and not which exploratory route you take through maps and which order you deal with things, like in the original.

Well I really hope they don't force themselves to somehow rip off or imitate the original. It'll be good if they actually have some kind of idea for a map, but if they try to implement alternative routes "because DX had them", then I sense imminent failure. Another thing is that at times, sneaking in DX was almost TOO easy, like in the hostage metro station for example, so it's not as if DX had perfecly balanced-out maps.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Konjad said:
When is it going to be released anyway? Did they say which month?
It doesn't have one yet, though it was delayed until SE's next fiscal year for "polish." Seems like codespeak for "irreparably broken beyond the first area" which wouldn't be all that surprrising. I could be wrong.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Grunker said:

I fucking hope I'm wrong and you guys are right, but I get an eerie feeling, when they focus so fucking much on telling us the differences in combat style, and the difference between stealth and combat, yet tell us nothing about how they've designed the maps and areas, and how freeform/non-freeform the approach to each challenge is.

True, but neither did they hype map design in the prerelease statements for the original DX. I'll choose to remain optimistic until the game is proven to be shit post-release. It was never a game I was going to pick up before it had been out long enough for people to chime in with user reviews anyway.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ulminati said:
Grunker said:

True, but neither did they hype map design in the prerelease statements for the original DX. I'll choose to remain optimistic until the game is proven to be shit post-release. It was never a game I was going to pick up before it had been out long enough for people to chime in with user reviews anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm torrenting the fuck outta this and I will buy it straight away if it's good. I'm just more and more pessimistic as we get more and more details on "stealthing's like this" or "combat and aug's work like this". I mean, Alpha Protocol's mechanics weren't that different from Deus Ex' in the core - what made Deus Ex so much better in my eyes and AP an inferior product was that Alpha Protocols levels were so fucking linear. Sure, there were other details such as how combat handled like shit compared to Deus Ex, but the main problem was the linear levels.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ulminati said:

So basically dozens of console shooters taught you nothing?

Of course Eidos wants to make a good game, not release some shit quickly thrown together in two years to get fast money before making D4us Ex
That's why HR has such outstanding gameplay elements straight from original DX like sticky cover and health regeneration

People cry about decline and then they are first to jump onto any new shit getting released <- this is why we can't have nice things

commie said:
YOU were bitching about the 'use gun or use gun' choice. YOU WERE NOT bitching about level design.
Bro, I still bitch about the retarded "use gun or use gun" choice and I bitched about the shitty level design since first screenshots showing linear tight corridors with popamole appeared.

I perfectly understand that you feel pain about me bashing your retarded console gaming.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
People cry about decline and then they are first to jump onto any new shit getting released <- this is why we can't have nice things

Why the fuck do you always have to make me regret agreeing with you?

You are fucking retarded Skyway; Ulm specifically said he wouldn't by it until after dozens of user reviews. The reason we can't have nice things is people BUYING horrible crap, not being mildly optimistic about it on a fucking internet forum.

Jesus christ you could fucking wipe every chinese's ass with the amount of hyperbole you use Skyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
When dozens of threads about how awesome HR is will be spammed on Codex I will remind you about "mildly optimistic"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom