Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MOTB ending

aron searle

Arcane
Whats with the lack of any real dialogue about the wall at the end.

I kill akachi (sp), i get no dialogue options or anything about continuing the goal of tearing it down, I save akachi and it's the same.

It was quite WTF is all i have to say.

Balthamael

Liturgist
The gist of it, I think, is that Kelemvor said no, and he is the boss. I was annoyed by this too. But Kelemvor probably could have instakilled the PC where he stood, what with him being god and all, so fair enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
In before - oh no I didn't change the universe after I did so much (with possible "I didn't kill the god!") - MotB ending is terrible.

While I miss the option to have my party instaraped by the god I must say that it was a pleasant thing that a mere bunch of random adventurers didn't kill a god this time that is obviously so god-like that even random mortals are able to tear him to pieces.

aron searle

Arcane
It's more the lack of any meaningful dialogue about the issue as opposed to not being able to tear it down.

There didn't seem to be any option if you kill akachi other than "oh well, im off home them".

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Yeah, that was my opinion as well. I knew I wouldn't be able to do anything, but it was a bit stupid that your character just goes "oh ok" and wanders off.
Eh. It wasn't a bad ending in theory, but it could've been pulled off a lot better... you don't even have the option to seem like you mind much that you can't do anything, though I guess the whole soul bit would take priority for most characters.

Surely the ending ought to have had a “No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.” option. At least one viable way to have played the game is to really agree with Kaelyn about the injustice of the wall.

(The whole ending was also fairly unsatisfactory in that the final conflict was just a matter of banging on someone with my falchion for two minutes. I know it's a rare situation where you have a game like PS:T or Fallout with enough guts to let you win by talking, but it felt totally out of synch with where MOTB had pushed me to imagine my character--i.e., a guy who fundamentally wants to examine and understand the world around him, and hits things with his falchion only as a last resort.)

Raapys

Arcane
skyway said:
mere bunch of random adventurers

I seem to remember something about the spirit eater, going down the ultimate evil path, becoming one of the most powerful creatures in existence, even to the extent of destroying other gods?

Besides, the game universe is made so that even 'mere mortals' can become gods, so is there really such a difference between powerful mortals and gods?

Starwars

Arcane
I agree. I also really like the fact that you can't end all injustices in the world but it's handled in a bad way... In fact, it's barely handled at all! It would've been cool if Kelemvor somehow slapped you up or something if you choose to be a rebel. He says that he can teleport you off his plane with a mere thought in one of his dialogues, but they needed to drive the point home more.

And yeah, I'd have loved a non-violent solution for the final boss ala Fallout or PS:T. But I must say I also love how they set up the fight visually. Loading into the "arena", the Faceless Man running towards you and the tribal drums starting in the background was quite awesome.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
WanderingThrough2 said:
Surely the ending ought to have had a “No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.” option.

Haha, I hadn't read Watchmen when I played through MotB (I know, waited too long), but that fits perfectly. Nice.

I seem to remember something about the soul eater, going down the ultimate evil path, becoming one of the most powerful creatures in existence, even to the extent of destroying other gods?

Besides, the game universe is made so that even 'mere mortals' can become gods, so is there really such a difference between powerful mortals and gods?

Well, Kelemvor's a Greater Deity or whatever they call it. I doubt the player character could take him at all, curse or not, and on his home plane... well, I don't know what the exact rules are, but on his home plane, pretty much nothing in the universe could touch him, let alone the Soul Eater.
From what I know, anyway.

Zomg

Arbiter
Am I the only person that sided with Kelemvor in the endgame on my original playthrough?

Pastel

Scholar
You should at least have been able to join Kaelyn in her continuing fights against the wall.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That is actually Kelemvor's Avatar (not Kelemvor himself). But yes, he can insta kill the entire party. Though they should have give you an option to try, and thus die. That's quite easily to mod in.

Pastel said:
You should at least have been able to join Kaelyn in her continuing fights against the wall.

That's the ending I was hoping for as well. I can accept that the pc has no chance against Kelemvor (at least not there and then), but to completely give up? Especially since not only my pc, but Safiya and Gann as well are all unbelievers destined for the wall after death.

But instead my pc forgets all about this and goes back home (which not only disappointed me but also reminded me just how much I really hated OC). This ending sucks so much it made me want to do an evil replay just for the excellent evil ending. And I don't even like roleplaying evil characters.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
MasPingon said:
Your entire party? With or without your character?

Your character does not make a difference. The spirit-eater curse is powerful, sure, and capable of devouring Myrkul and Okku... but so what? Myrkul is a dead god half-conscious in the Astral Plane. Okku is a powerful beast spirit, but not a god. Compared to that, Kelemvor is a greater deity fighting on his own home plane.

Fuck's sake, why don't people get this through their heads? Spirit-eater != THE MOST POWERFUL CHOSEN WAN EVAH.

Korgan

Arbiter
To think of it, I wouldn't mind talikng to Kelemvor, ending the curse, then having the choice of going home OR commiting one last betrayal for the greater good, attacking without warning, slaughtering most of the City's remaining defenders and having your soul destroyed by the big guy as punishment. Few would ever know of your ultimate sacrifice, but the Crusade's job will be made much easier, and your legend would keep it going for aeons. That's simple, epic and not retarded.

Darth Roxor said:
Zomg said:
Am I the only person that sided with Kelemvor in the endgame on my original playthrough?

I did too.
Hmm, interesting. What was your reasoning? "It's a necessary evil"?

MasPingon

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
MasPingon said:
Your entire party? With or without your character?

Your character does not make a difference. The spirit-eater curse is powerful, sure, and capable of devouring Myrkul and Okku... but so what? Myrkul is a dead god half-conscious in the Astral Plane. Okku is a powerful beast spirit, but not a god. Compared to that, Kelemvor is a greater deity fighting on his own home plane.

Fuck's sake, why don't people get this through their heads? Spirit-eater != THE MOST POWERFUL CHOSEN WAN EVAH.

So I'm not? This game sucks

Raapys

Arcane
Lesifoere said:

PC: :: If I am such a monster, then destroy me, god of the dead. Or is that beyond your power? ::
Kelemvor: To destroy an empty thing? Yes, that is beyond the power of any god... else the spirit-eater would have been struck down at its birth.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm not sure exactly how D&D works, so someone might correct me. But it was always my understanding that while bringing down the wall would not undo the planes or whatever, the Gods *would* wreak terrible vengeance if people stopped worshipping them. The D&D gods always seemed really touchy to me.
That said, change has to start somewhere.

I think *most* people roleplay "themselves" on the first playthrough and in doing so it's quite easy to go against the wall. That is also something I would've wanted in MotB, the "stay on Kelemvors side" path to be stronger. While the option is there, it feels as if the game is pushing the Crusade much harder. The negative consequences of the Wall being torn down does not shine through enough. This makes it feel a bit more forced to play a devote worshipper.
But I was actually quite surprised that the game let me defend the City of Judgement at all. Like Vince pointed out with another quest in his review, I thought it'd one of those fake choices where the game says "no no, you do it THIS way".

Korgan

Arbiter
Starwars said:
I'm not sure exactly how D&D works, so someone might correct me. But it was always my understanding that while bringing down the wall would not undo the planes or whatever, the Gods *would* wreak terrible vengeance if people stopped worshipping them. The D&D gods always seemed really touchy to me.
I remember a book in BG2 about how the fuckers got scared of an ancient technologically advanced race of giants and caused their destruction.

aron searle

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
Pastel said:

That's the ending I was hoping for as well. I can accept that the pc has no chance against Kelemvor (at least not there and then), but to completely give up? Especially since not only my pc, but Safiya and Gann as well are all unbelievers destined for the wall after death.

But instead my pc forgets all about this and goes back home (which not only disappointed me but also reminded me just how much I really hated OC). This ending sucks so much it made me want to do an evil replay just for the excellent evil ending. And I don't even like roleplaying evil characters.

If MOTB story was a flow chart, the ending would look like the great depression

Korgan said:
To think of it, I wouldn't mind talikng to Kelemvor, ending the curse, then having the choice of going home OR commiting one last betrayal for the greater good, attacking without warning, slaughtering most of the City's remaining defenders and having your soul destroyed by the big guy as punishment. Few would ever know of your ultimate sacrifice, but the Crusade's job will be made much easier, and your legend would keep it going for aeons. That's simple, epic and not retarded.

While I would certainly prefer this over the actual ending, what I was really hoping for is a chance to at least continue (if not successfully end) the crusade. Something like waging a never ending war against the gods and their "justice". So my ideal ending would be just walking away from Kelmvor without another word and returning later with an army at my back (and this time ignoring the city and its defenders and going directly for the wall). And repeating this over and over until the wall is no more.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The 'good' end goes out with a whimper, rather then a bang.

Dammit. it could have been so much better if your character died fighting for what they believed in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom