Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MotB or SoU?

EtCheveuxUn

Novice
Personally, I think SoU is the better expansion of the two. It didn't force me to be someone overly special; I was an apprentice to that dwarf, no superhero destined to save the entire universe. It's so cliché in fantasy RPG's, I prefer Fallout's approach, I'd rather be an unlikely hero than the chosen one. Discuss!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
MOTB easy. SOU is not horrible; but is overrated. NWN1+2 OCs are easily better as is HOTU.

hotdognights

Novice
I wasn't really aware that you saved the universe in Mask of the Betrayer. Saved your skin, yea, but not the universe.

Lumpy

Arcane
EtCheveuxUn said:
Personally, I think SoU is the better expansion of the two. It didn't force me to be someone overly special; I was an apprentice to that dwarf, no superhero destined to save the entire universe. It's so cliché in fantasy RPG's, I prefer Fallout's approach, I'd rather be an unlikely hero than the chosen one. Discuss!
You weren't the chosen one in MotB. That's pretty obvious.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What an absurd question. MotB is a better expansion than HotU; SoU was mediocre at best. I don't know about other people, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish the SoU campaign--and I say that as someone who slogged through the original NWN OC.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Matt7895 said:
Lesifoere said:
What an absurd question.

Indeed.

I heartily third this.

I still found SoU more interesting than the OC it was a bit flaky at times. I mean I find the NWN2 OC even better than SoU or HotU. And MotB is high above all other NWN campaigns.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
MOTB easy. SOU is not horrible; but is overrated. NWN1+2 OCs are easily better as is HOTU.

How would you rank the NWN 1 and 2 campaigns, including expansions?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I wonder if it's his follower.
you totally can't compare SoU and MotB. the first is linear hack'n'slasher where you actually save the world, the second is intelligent c&c-heavy rpg.

Jaime Lannister said:
How would you rank the NWN 1 and 2 campaigns, including expansions?
last time we was arguing with Volourn he said something like NWN 1 OC was the best evar evar

Lumpy

Arcane
Nope. Not him. The original post contained an actual opinion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"How would you rank the NWN 1 and 2 campaigns?"

1. MOTB
2. HOTU
3. NWN1 OC
3.5. NWN2 OC
10. SOU

"he said something like NWN 1 OC was the best evar evar"

You fuckin' stupid. Since when is rating soemthing 75% = 'it's the best evar!".

Moron. Idiot. Dumbass. Fuckface. Piece Of Shit. Jerkoff. Loser. Scumbag. Retard.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I consider Mask of the Betrayer the first high quality (non-independent) RPG campaign since 2004 (Vampire: the Bloodlines). Unlike the lackluster original campaign (NWN 2), and its predecessors (NWN and its expansions), Mask of the Betrayer features an interesting story, compelling characters, well written dialogue, interesting setting, and last but definitely not least, plenty of choices and consequences.

NWN SOTU was interesting, but forgettable. The fact that the campaign wasn't "epic" was refreshing, but I can't remember much more about this game, other than that I played it once, found it playable, but mediocre, and forgot about it.

NWN 2 OC was a disappointment (as expectations were high) - some characters seem like bad copies of the Planescape: Torment characters (every attempt to create similar characters to PS:T characters is destined to fail, as they will always pale in comparison to the originals) and the story is mediocre, but there are some characters, moments and dialogues that considerably improve my impression. This wasn't a bad game, but wasn't very good either.

NWN HOTU was, apart from epic character advancement, quite boring, as it was full of generic NPCs, dialogues were low quality and campaign was incessant hacking and slashing.

Saving the worst for last, NWN the original campaign has to be the worst game I actually managed to finish. No choices, no consequences, dialogues and story that were probably written by someone failing English, awful henchmen system, just to state some flaws. I understand that this game was designed for multiplayer and single player campaign was an afterthought, but they should have dropped it entirely.

So, if I had to sort these games according to their quality, the list would look like this:

1. NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer - excellent
(big gap)
2. NWN 2 - mediocre
3. NWN: SOTU
4. NWN: HOTU
(big gap)
5. NWN - bad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom