Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas gameplay mechanics aren't better than FO3

Relay

Educated
I thought in the beginning that they would have made the skills more unique, useful to have but apart from speech you could do the game with a whopping 10 in everything and still be overpowered. Apart from the odd deathclaw and particularly inane cazador (wtf ? it feels humiliating to get raped by a gang of flies. Nigga' please! deathclaws look impressive, cazadors are just 'tarded.) you might say that equipment matters far, far more than your character in New Vegas exactly as it was in Fallout 3.
The thing is, you don't need to be skilled in explosive to fuck people up with dynamites and grenades. You don't need much sneak to be able to snipe people from afar. You don't need much in guns either, sure having more gives you a bit more damage but it's not game-changing. In Fallout 1 and 2, not having skills points in weapons meant that you COULDN'T use them at all since you would be missing ALL THE FUCKING TIME even if your enemy was right in front of you. Here you only miss in VATS but VATS is fucking useless since you can precisely shoot from a bigger range than VATS allows using scopes.
Lacking strength didn't gimp the big guns as much as I thought it would when people said that "strength mattered". It may either lower the damage or precision but surely not enough to prevent me from using them when I get my hands on the ammunition with a whopping 5 STR.
I haven't invested ANY points in "unarmed" but it doesn't prevent my character from two-hit-killing people with the powerfist. In the original fallout you wouldn't even be able to touch someone if you didn't invest points.

All in all, the only thing having a high skill in something does is about making you the avatar of God on earth because without them you can still pwn everything. For example, sure you can kill stuff with a powerfist without investment, but if you do invest, you can get the requirement for the piercing strike perk and have the Hands of God :

Piercing Strike Unarmed 70 12 Melee and unarmed attacks bypass 15 points of the enemy's DT

Add to that the magazines that boosts +10 your skills (+20 with the must-have perk) and you don't need more than 80 in speech (70 if you don't care for the single 100 speech check of the game), 50 in science and 50 in lockpick anyway. Barter is redundant, at least two thirds of the dialogues with barter checks offer equivalent speech checks. (huge WTF)

This game is a fucking disappointment and not an incline from FO3. Yeah, it has "better writing" for some relative value. I couldn't care less. FO1 wasn't known for having spectacular dialogue and writing and I'm sure most of the praise for New Vegas comes from the Planescape Torment aka Christ fagclub. The irony is that the biggest embarassment for New Vegas stems from some of the dialogue, in particular Caesar's. If you call "better writing" having a bigger vocabulary than the 100 words vocab' of Bethesda and having more lines of it, OK. Using a bigger vocabulary doesn't make the lines spoken any less retarded though. Cass obssession with peckers, Veronica joking about being "exhausted" from all the sex she had to do for the brotherhood, Gannon the homosexual playboy.. see a pattern here ? I bet the Christ is sex starved and has to make up for it using his game writing "talents".

Of course, to put the last nail to the coffin New Vegas is as much of a walking simulator as Morrowind was in its time. I will not replay this shitty game again if only because of the long trek from freeside to jacobstown with absolutely nothing to do on the roads, complete absence of content. At least Fallout 3 and Oblivion threw the odd monster to kill from time to time while you were "busy" walking (and Oblivion had fast horses.). New Vegas is synonymous with emptiness, which I can somewhat understand in a post-apo world but Fallout 1 and 2 didn't make you do the walking, the character did and time accelerated on the map so you didn't get bored staring at the emptiness for hours.

To make it worse it has lots of invisible walls in places that shouldn't have them just to make you walk for longer which is probably a ploy to pretend that ten hours of content can fill fourty hours of gameplay. Bethesda obviously ain't going to bring the "climbing" skill back from Daggerfall if only to make their games artificially longer.

The only thing I couldn't criticize, unlike early game reviewers is the supposedly buggy engine because I didn't stumble upon any game breaking bug. I had like two CTD for all the time I played, which is what I came to expect from most games nowadays..

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Games Modern games are worthless, why would you rant about a game modern game.

All valid points but they are all obvious to those who played it. People who like New Vegas like it because they can see past those faults, doesn't mean they don't get annoyed by them. What you provided is just a list of negative aspects of the game. If i would provide you with only a list of positive aspects of the game you would think i'm praising it as the best game ever.

In short: Nice trolling attempt.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While I agree the skills like Guns and Explosives are not nearly as important in combat as they should be they are surprisingly important outside of combat. New Vegas has more skill checks than Fallout 3 by a factor of like 1,000%. I often could not say/do/obtain something because I didn't have high survival, explosives or something else.

Relay

Educated
Some might say that you could make shit into an acquired taste aka coprophilia.

DalekFlay said:
While I agree the skills like Guns and Explosives are not nearly as important in combat as they should be they are surprisingly important outside of combat. New Vegas has more skill checks than Fallout 3 by a factor of like 1,000%. I often could not say/do/obtain something because I didn't have high survival, explosives or something else.

The only major quest with a gun check can also be done with a speech check. You'll find that most of the check have alternatives if you try hard enough. Those that don't have alternatives usually are useless and just here to make you feel like it matters when it doesn't.

The only things that don't have alternatives are of the "easter egg" variety more than anything, like the gun runner who will sell you mods if you have 40 guns.

When it comes to actual gameplay, FNV falls short. It's just plain dumb.

UserNamer

Cipher
Relay said:
Using a bigger vocabulary doesn't make the lines spoken any less retarded though. Cass obssession with peckers, Veronica joking about being "exhausted" from all the sex she had to do for the brotherhood, Gannon the homosexual playboy.. see a pattern here ? I bet the Christ is sex starved and has to make up for it using his game writing "talents".

I agree. The obsession with sex of certain characters was annoying, as the obsession with equality (all those female rangers) and homosexuality. I was talking about this with a friend, and he had a point: there are a lot of people in real life who are equally obsessed with sex because of starvation, and they are equally annoying.

So it's somewhat realistic.

I think the reasonable thing to do is drop the character you find annoying. As soon as gannon started his "I'm a somewhat nerdy but sexy homosexual man, don't hit on me silly courrier" I dropped him. I heard you can sell him as a slave to caesar though.

I also agree with you critique of the stupidity of strength not being an handicap when using miniguns and the stuff about being able to hit people without being trained in unarmed. But I enjoyed the game immensely anyway. Still hope they would fix this sort of stuff in the future.

Relay

Educated
So it's somewhat realistic.

I don't play games to fulfill some kind of degenerate need for a virtual reality or I wouldn't do fantasy or post-apocalyptic settings with elves or aliens. Realistic doesn't enter the book in a game with gauss rifles and power armors. This isn't about The Sims.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Except that the thread is specifically about gameplay mechanics, not about other things that may be redeeming features.

RatFink

Educated
only thing really pissing me off were those fuckin invisible walls at HILLSIDES...
yes HILLSIDES not cliffs or ridges...FUCKIN HILLS!!!

:x

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Make the game world feel bigger (it's actually much smaller than fallout 3's). And in at least one case (boomers) force you to go through a particular area.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mastermind said:
Make the game world feel bigger (it's actually much smaller than fallout 3's).

No, it's really not. Even taking away the sections blocked off it's still bigger. The size of the map in the pipboy means nothing, it's a different scale.

Relay

Educated
DalekFlay said:
Mastermind said:

No, it's really not. Even taking away the sections blocked off it's still bigger. The size of the map in the pipboy means nothing, it's a different scale.

In terms of content is it actually bigger or are you talking about sheer map size ? most of the map is empty in NV. Do the goddamn walk from freeside (almost always the starting point for this trek) to Jacobtown and tell me you don't feel the :nerdrage: :x

It really, really makes you wish for fast travel like it was in daggerfall because there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do besides watch the ugly landscape for a loong boring time. God knows I'm not a graphix whore but if you're gonna make a game so boring and artificially long put some effort into it because the textures, the humanity..

Well, instead of a horse you should be able to drive on of those:

falloutbike1.jpg

Fuck yeah.

Deleted member 7219

I found you could breeze through Fallout 3 just by putting points into Speech and Small Guns. But in New Vegas I found about 2 or 3 skill checks in every conversation. They actually affected quests. So I ended up splitting my points between Barter, Guns, Speech, Science, Medicine, Repair just so I could see all the options. The mechanics are a whole lot better in New Vegas; anyone who says otherwise hasn't played the game.

nFn

Educated
You people can shift them goalposts as much as you like.
Personally I am having as much fun playing new vegas as when I played F2 and the first 2 Gothics, so ner ner ner ner!

MasPingon

Arcane
Of course, to put the last nail to the coffin New Vegas..

Lol, you should start like that, I wouldn't even bother reading. New Vegas with all it's faults is one of the best crpgs since Fallout 1

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DalekFlay said:
Mastermind said:

I played the living fuck out of both NV and Fallout 3. NV is way smaller. Both in map size and in amount of exploration content. The only thing NV does bigger than Fallout 3 is the friendly NPC population. NV has a lot of well populated settlements and New Vegas proper pimp slaps the shit out of any Fallout 3 settlement. So NV will feel bigger for speechfags in that regard. But in terms of exploration 3 was much bigger.

RatFink

Educated
yeah keep in mind that fallout 3 does have a GIGANTIC underworld composed of EXACTLY the same lookin tunnels, caves and bunkers which are a lot of fun to explore :M

Silellak

Cipher
Mastermind said:
DalekFlay said:
Mastermind said:

I played the living fuck out of both NV and Fallout 3. NV is way smaller. Both in map size and in amount of exploration content. The only thing NV does bigger than Fallout 3 is the friendly NPC population. NV has a lot of well populated settlements and New Vegas proper pimp slaps the shit out of any Fallout 3 settlement. So NV will feel bigger for speechfags in that regard. But in terms of exploration 3 was much bigger.
So, NV is a better RPG, and FO3 is a better...hiking simulator?

Micmu

Magister
It's KOTOR / KOTOR2 all over again.
Ahahaha.

KREIA BEST KARAKTER EVAH :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom