Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas gameplay mechanics aren't better than FO3

The gameplay is not perfect by any stretch, but it's passable. This is one of those instances where it feels like the whole is much better than the sum of its parts. The huge number of skill checks is refreshing and makes you feel that all builds are viable. The quests tend to be pretty well designed and shit are there a ton of them. That's one of the coolest parts about the game... the shear amount of well designed content.

This is the first Obsidian game I've ever really liked, and I've been very vocal about hating a lot of their stuff in the past, but this game is actually pretty good. I'm not going to say "best since this or that", but it is a quality product.

Silellak

Cipher
ITT:

Posters gets trolled by an alt, and skyway bitches about a game he still hasn't played.

Codex. Codex never changes.

Relay said:
I am full of shit and just say controversial things as an alt because I am desperate for attention.
I wish you'd just told us this earlier and saved us 6 pages of bullshit.

visions

Arcane
Roguey said:
Are you that nice text-walling programmer fellow?

[Attempts perception check] He's probably the french nationalist guy who used to post here, Dny or whatever.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
No story eh? I must have dreamed that whole 'Vault Dweller find the water chip' thing and the 'Chosen One, get the GECK' bit.

:retarded:
It's an objective. There's also a backstory. Story is created by player playing the game.

It doesn't exist in the storyfag sense like in "the player is tortured imoen is captured player pursues the captor but the captor escapes and then pursues the captor again but the captor pulls him into hell and then kills the captor. Oh it's so deep I'm going cry"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
The gameplay is not perfect by any stretch, but it's passable. This is one of those instances where it feels like the whole is much better than the sum of its parts. The huge number of skill checks is refreshing and makes you feel that all builds are viable. The quests tend to be pretty well designed and shit are there a ton of them. That's one of the coolest parts about the game... the shear amount of well designed content.

This is the first Obsidian game I've ever really liked, and I've been very vocal about hating a lot of their stuff in the past, but this game is actually pretty good. I'm not going to say "best since this or that", but it is a quality product.

Exactly.

I don't think many people, if any, are saying "THE GOLDEN AGE OF RPGS IS BACK!" because of New Vegas. What we are saying is that damn if this game doesn't bring back a lot of the things we all loved about those golden age RPGs. It's far from perfect, not only because the engine sucks but also because there were limits to the changes they could make, but it's still satisfying.

It's the RPG of the year, certainly. It's only competition was Mass Effect 2 and Arcania though, so I guess that wasn't a hard honor to obtain.

Relay

Educated
DalekFlay said:
It's the RPG of the year, certainly. It's only competition was Mass Effect 2 and Arcania though, so I guess that wasn't a hard honor to obtain.

You are the winner of the special olympics.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Awor Szurkrarz said:
commie said:
No story eh? I must have dreamed that whole 'Vault Dweller find the water chip' thing and the 'Chosen One, get the GECK' bit.

:retarded:
It's an objective. There's also a backstory. Story is created by player playing the game.

It's a plot. Certain elements to a story (plot and backstory are some elements of the story) are fixed, while others are created by the player. This goes for Fallout, Fallout 2 and for Fallout: New Vegas. Strength of F:NV lies somewhere else than its plot, i.e. in the overall story / setting / quest presentation. It is still inferior to Fallout and Fallout 2 by the virtue of combat system, but the good elements outweight the bad ones by far and make it a good RPG.

It doesn't exist in the storyfag sense like in "the player is tortured imoen is captured player pursues the captor but the captor escapes and then pursues the captor again but the captor pulls him into hell and then kills the captor. Oh it's so deep I'm going cry"

I don't think that any ''storyfag'' on this forum cares about the hard set plot and considers it a necessity or in any way superior to Fallout approach (which F:NV follows). Personally, I'm more concerned about the quality of writing, quest structure and interactivity. Regarding your specific example, I can't imagine anyone claiming that the way story in BG 2 is presented is superior to (or even close to the same level as) the way story in Fallout is presented.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
You can tell the world you never was my girl
You can burn my clothes when I'm gone
Or you can tell your friends just what a fool I've been
And laugh and joke about me on the phone

You can tell my arms, go back onto the phone
You can tell my feet to hit the floor
Or you can tell my lips to tell my fingertips
They won't be reaching out for you no more

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
I just don't think it'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
He might blow up and kill this man

MetalCraze said:
Favourites:

Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (I could -add- to this position BG1 and ToB, because it the same story, but won't that be against rules?)
---
Good ones:

Fallout 1
Vampires: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment
---
Honorable Mentions:

SW: Knights Of The Old Republic 2
SW: Knights Of The Old Republic 1
Neverwinter Nights 1 (but with ALL addons, especially 2nd)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (but with MotB as the one story)
Arcanum (didn't get far'n'deep here, so not sure where exactly to put it right now, but it definitely deserves a point)
---

muffildy

Educated
strafing

Wow, am i the only one who ran the !@#$ away from stuff in fallout 2? All you need is agility 10 and later on the action boy or free 2 move perks and you can kite just about anything.
Not only that, but this whole drugs are OP in fallout 3 NV is BS, its the same as it was in fallout 2 - if you want to abuse them, they will make battles just as easy as in NV; and dont say oh well they are rare, bc all you need to do is wait a few days and the vendors stashes reset and you can buy more.

now onto the magazine abuse...well, you could do something similar in fallout 2.
eat a bunch of mentates, wait till your stats drop from withdrawal symtoms, read big books of science, deans electronics etc. you can easily get your skills to over 100% this way.

And now your going to say well atleast you needed skill to hit something in fallout 2; well thats true, but you dont actually have to hit anything in this game, you can run away from almost all battles, and if you want to kill people without combat you can super stimpack them to death, or plant explosives.

Relay

Educated
What a moran, FNV is not only worse than FO2 in the matter of drugs, it's also much worse than FO3 to boot. There is no excuse for Obsidian to have introduced Fixer which removes addiction and can be found anywhere, and steady which makes you so much more precise.
Of course FO3 was already worse than FO2 for having stuff like overpowered stealthboys..
Sorry but you had to know a bit about Fallout to "exploit" it, everything in FNV is given to you in a silver plate. For FUCK sake you can get a stealthboy in your first hour of play without knowing anything about the game. It's found on the corpse of raiders FFS. You don't have to go through a second playthrough to fuck everything up unless you're "special" as in "special olympics".

You must have sucked too much Avellone cock if you can't see how much of a dumbed down game FNV is. I can see the cum drip out of your eyes and nose.

As for comparing being able to destroy everything even with a gimped character in FNV as opposed to running in FO2 : running away won't get you much loot. Apples and oranges much ?

muffildy

Educated
loot

who cares about loot in fallout 2?
10 steal skill and you can just take the merchants money and buy what you want, then take the money back.

they had fixer in fallout 2 for jet; and the other drugs all you need to do is wait in your pipboy and it goes away - theres not even a chance of random monster spawning to kill you while you wait.

there was a stealthboy in fallout 2 also if you use killaps restoration pack and in fallout 1 as well.

of course its dumbed down; who said it wasnt? Just saying if you wanted to exploit game mechanics you could do it in the others just as well.

Anyhow, what made fallout 2 great wasnt the exploitable game mechanics, it was to me, the interaction with the game world; failout 3 sucked because they didnt have any meaningful interaction with the game world - there werent really many good quests, and there werent any explorable areas that actually mattered. In FNV they fixed that by adding story and meaningful interaction with the environment.

Relay

Educated
lalalalamuffildy's busy shifting the goalpost and putting blindfolds on his eyeslalalala

muffildy

Educated
pfft

You just need to take off your rose colored glasses and see that the old school fallout 1/2 game mechanics are just as broken and stupid as fallout 3, and that game mechanics are not the only thing that make a game good.
But i tip my hat off to you, your a pretty good troll ignoring any proof other posters have shown that the game mechanics aspect of this genre are broken and stupid throughout.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
heh, in fallout 2 during the boxing fights you can make your opponent blind 3 times and he still will be able to hit you frequently

worst game ever

Black

Arcane
Elwro said:
heh, in fallout 2 during the boxing fights you can make your opponent blind 3 times and he still will be able to hit you frequently

worst game ever
And in both Fallouts you can shoot people in eyes and they will survive. Popamole much?

CrimHead

Scholar
Skyway said:
SW: Knights Of The Old Republic 1
Neverwinter Nights 1 (but with ALL addons, especially 2nd)

Kill yourself.

Hahaha CrimHead is making a funny right back at you bro hahaha

No. Seriously. Kill yourself.

There's no joke here. Kill yourself.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Black said:
Elwro said:

worst game ever
And in both Fallouts you can shoot people in eyes and they will survive. Popamole much?
my point exactly

Kz3r0

Arcane
visions said:
Roguey said:
Are you that nice text-walling programmer fellow?

[Attempts perception check] He's probably the french nationalist guy who used to post here, Dny or whatever.
[Lore]ATranny too and Avellone hater.

This thread:
juesrt.jpg

10xvc4p.jpg

2gwi7he.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Kz3r0 said:
visions said:
[Lore]ATranny too and Avellone hater.
[Intelligence] Wasn't that Torquemada?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom