Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas gameplay mechanics aren't better than FO3

Relay

Educated
Mastermind said:
roll-a-die said:
For reference I also hate Oblivions combat, mostly for the lack of challenge, and depth. But Morrowind's combat was broken easily, just by move back and forth repeatedly while smacking your sword at the end of each forward movement, once you get the timing right, NOTHING hits you, and you're free to swing at it as many times as you want, without ever taking damage. It also suffers from the general slowness of the entire game. In an pulled back perspective, I can handle doddling combat, but when you're pulled inside someones head, it's completely boring to just sit there, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. I honestly wish people would adopt a more brawler style melee system in FP or TP games.

I'm guessing neither of you actually played Morrowind all that much. At high skill levels you can finish off anybody with just a few whacks. Throw in weapon enchantments and melee combat becomes a complete joke. Not that there's any point in meleeing when you can enchant a ring to be a massive damage life stealing machinegun rocket launcher. Morrowind is the only RPG I can think of where you can press a button once and have every supposedly high level enemy around you drop dead.

Walking's not really an issue either.
You can use mages guild/boats/stilt striders for towns.
Boots of blinding speed for short range movement
50 point levitation dagger for obstacles
Ring with huge jump enhancement + 1 point slow fall (or more than 1 point if you want to glide) for quick transportation to the middle of nowhere.
Scroll of windform's nice too and flying at those speeds is one hell of a feeling.
Fuck, between the ridiculously overpowered enchant and alchemy skills there's no reason why you can't just fortify your speed to ridiculous levels and zoom across vvardenfell. And I haven't even gotten into any actual exploits yet.
They're all bandaids applied to something that is broken to begin with. You shouldn't need any of those to make the game palatable. Sorry but Daggerfall did it right, it makes no sense that its successor would do it worse.

I know about all of those. It wasn't any good for the first twenty hours or so into the game unless you get spoiled.

roll-a-die

Magister
Mastermind said:
roll-a-die said:
Uh, yeah, I wouldn't sit you behind a sniper rifle just to watch you hit a pedestrian when aiming for a target. I'd teach you how to use it, how to load it, how to lock a cartridge, how to turn off the safety, how to maintain it.

There is nothing stopping me from using a sniper rifle even if I have no training. You don't have to put me behind one, I can grab it off some dead fuck and fire it all day in the wasteland. Most people can fumble with it enough to figure out how it works. They'd suck ass at firing it, but preventing people from using smaller weapons altogether is a stupid idea. If they don't have the skill, just make it a complete pain to use them.

Here's another more realistic idea, you can equip them, but the bigger the skill deviance the more it degrades, the more it jams, the longer it takes to reload, and the more it sways. In terms of melee weapons, and unarmed weapons, you start to take damage as you use them, you can repair them, you get around a half a point less damage for every point between the skill req and your actual skill.

That's actually a genuinely sensible idea.
Both are sensible from a gameplay standpoint, one makes thing realistic and frustrating for some, the other makes things non-realistic, but creates a genuine sense of progression within a skill path that is immediately obvious.

I actually agree with Relay on this, allot, the weapon balance is fucked, as are loot levels. It's a carry over from fallout 3 and Oblivion, I honestly think it's pretty close to impossible to balance these on a scaling system.

Err, Fallout 3 had the same "scaling" Morrowind did. And as far as I can tell NV has even less. Don't see anything fucked with the loot levels TBH. Most enemies are so easy that it doesn't matter what you use.
Actually no, FO3 had a unique scaling system, each cell was locked to the level you are when you first enter it, rather than respawning the enemies as a higher level every 3 days or so, like OB. New Vegas, uses fairly close to unleveled spawns, only things that are leveled are the guards, and it uses a scaling loot system fairly close to FO3, in that chance applies to all items on the list, so if your list features a chance of getting stimpaks and superstim paks, and hydras, there's equal chance of all of those showing up, IE, you could get stims, or Hydra, or sup stims, or you could get all three. It's shitty, it doesn't lead to any rarity in anything. Vendors are about the only thing with a leveled stock, and even that varies, certain vendors will have hugely OP stuff even at level one, because they got an awesome list. I'm talking about loot rarity when I say OB and FO3, not loot power.

roll-a-die

Magister
Relay said:
Mastermind said:
roll-a-die said:
For reference I also hate Oblivions combat, mostly for the lack of challenge, and depth. But Morrowind's combat was broken easily, just by move back and forth repeatedly while smacking your sword at the end of each forward movement, once you get the timing right, NOTHING hits you, and you're free to swing at it as many times as you want, without ever taking damage. It also suffers from the general slowness of the entire game. In an pulled back perspective, I can handle doddling combat, but when you're pulled inside someones head, it's completely boring to just sit there, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. I honestly wish people would adopt a more brawler style melee system in FP or TP games.

I'm guessing neither of you actually played Morrowind all that much. At high skill levels you can finish off anybody with just a few whacks. Throw in weapon enchantments and melee combat becomes a complete joke. Not that there's any point in meleeing when you can enchant a ring to be a massive damage life stealing machinegun rocket launcher. Morrowind is the only RPG I can think of where you can press a button once and have every supposedly high level enemy around you drop dead.

Walking's not really an issue either.
You can use mages guild/boats/stilt striders for towns.
Boots of blinding speed for short range movement
50 point levitation dagger for obstacles
Ring with huge jump enhancement + 1 point slow fall (or more than 1 point if you want to glide) for quick transportation to the middle of nowhere.
Scroll of windform's nice too and flying at those speeds is one hell of a feeling.
Fuck, between the ridiculously overpowered enchant and alchemy skills there's no reason why you can't just fortify your speed to ridiculous levels and zoom across vvardenfell. And I haven't even gotten into any actual exploits yet.
They're all bandaids applied to something that is broken to begin with. You shouldn't need any of those to make the game palatable. Sorry but Daggerfall did it right, it makes no sense that its successor would do it worse.

I know about all of those. It wasn't any good for the first twenty hours or so into the game unless you get spoiled.
Very good, I agree with you here. I'm both sad and glad OB added a FT system. Daggerfall was awesome in that sense.

It really was a good balance of a shitty game and a good game. I like it because I have massive nostalgia towards it. I imagine I'd call it decent if I didn't have the memories associated with it.

UserNamer

Cipher
Relay said:
MasPingon said:
New Vegas is only better for storyfags who thought that PST was a great game. It's clearly not a successor to the original Fallout.

oh fuck, I agree with this. I enjoyed new vegas immensely, but it is just not on the same level as fallout 1.

I prefer it to monthy python references: scorpion with glasses edition and mortal kombat tournaments edition though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Relay said:
They're all bandaids applied to something that is broken to begin with.

They're not bandaids at all. They allow you to turn into an exploration grandmaster if you acquire the skills and knowledge to do so.

You shouldn't need any of those to make the game palatable.

You don't. Early on when you don't know anything exploration is fun and everything is new. Eventually you should become strong and knowledgeable enough that travel no longer becomes an issue.

Sorry but Daggerfall did it right, it makes no sense that its successor would do it worse.

Daggerfall was immense. And immense is an understatement. It was not feasible to make Daggerfall without fast travel. Morrowind and Oblivion are much smaller. I'm fine with fast travel, but at the same time it takes an ungodly amount of laziness for a veteran of Morrowind to complain about the walking. Nevermind that Daggerfall dungeons were a nightmare to navigate and the aimless walking was far, far worse as a result, despite the FT system.

You don't really need to get anywhere on the map with pinpoint precision within your first twenty hours. I found the exploration fun enough that by the time the walking got tedious I was reasonably efficient and getting anywhere I wanted within a reasonable timeframe. And if you're a veteran player fast travel simply isn't an issue because you should know how to deal with the distance.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
roll-a-die said:
It's shitty, it doesn't lead to any rarity in anything. Vendors are about the only thing with a leveled stock, and even that varies, certain vendors will have hugely OP stuff even at level one, because they got an awesome list. I'm talking about loot rarity when I say OB and FO3, not loot power.

OB fucked up by having even most "unique" shit leveled, but Fallout 3 and NV have a lot of hand placed unique (and non-unique but still powerful for that matter) weapons and armor that have no random element whatosever. Vengeance will always be at the bottom of the deathclaw sanctuary and nowhere else. Not to mention all the skill books which are almost always valuable and worth finding.

That stuff like chems are randomly generated isn't really an issue. I finished Fallout 3 with 200+ stimpacks. If the games were harder then their rarity would haave a purpose, but as it stands all it would mean is that instead of carrying hundreds of chems you never use you're carrying dozens of chems you never use.

muffildy

Educated
dmg

all weapon damage in FNV is calculated by your skill with the weapon. It seems to be dmg = base dmg + (skill%)xbase dmg or something similar. So basically, while its true anyone can equip and use any weapon and because the game is designed to be a FPS hybrid you do still need skill, otherwise you are doing less damage, and so using more ammo or may not be able to beat the DT of the target.

they realy need to change the way DT works though - as it is a couple of hits from a deathclaw in the most powerful armor/perks available = death. If they added armor that had much higher DT it would make the rest of the game far too easy so im not sure what compromise they could make except perhaps adding special perks from quests for deathclaw hunting.

roll-a-die

Magister
Re: dmg

muffildy said:
all weapon damage in FNV is calculated by your skill with the weapon. It seems to be dmg = base dmg + (skill%)xbase dmg or something similar. So basically, while its true anyone can equip and use any weapon and because the game is designed to be a FPS hybrid you do still need skill, otherwise you are doing less damage, and so using more ammo or may not be able to beat the DT of the target.

they realy need to change the way DT works though - as it is a couple of hits from a deathclaw in the most powerful armor/perks available = death. If they added armor that had much higher DT it would make the rest of the game far too easy so im not sure what compromise they could make except perhaps adding special perks from quests for deathclaw hunting.
Yeah, even if you take you DT to the max, something 45, with every perk, strongest power armor, and the implant,you will still be taking 20% of anything hitting you, because the devs are new fags. I personally have that modded out, which makes for a tough game at the start.

As far as how dam calculation works, from what I can tell it's something like, base - skill points below 100/2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty nice discussion here, I don't have anything to contribute but I would like to draw attention to this bit of flip-flopping:
Two weeks ago
Relay said:
New Vegas is a great game that redeemed Obsidian a bit for me.
Now
Relay said:
This game is a fucking disappointment and not an incline from FO3...I will not replay this shitty game again...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

roll-a-die said:
I personally have that modded out, which makes for a tough game at the start.

I have the mod but play without it because having it on makes the game way too easy for me.

About deathclaws, they ignored DR in fallout 3, so unless Obsidian changed it they probably ignore DT in NV.

roll-a-die

Magister

Mastermind said:
roll-a-die said:

I have the mod but play without it because having it on makes the game way too easy for me.

About deathclaws, they ignored DR in fallout 3, so unless Obsidian changed it they probably ignore DT in NV.
Yeah, I wish they made it so that you could specify what guns did the 20% damage going through DR, because as it is now, you disable that, and once you get metal armor, machine gun rounds don't matter anymore. Which means you cease to worry about a lot of things.

It's harder at start, but piss easy once you get anywhere past that. I imagine the endgame would be ridiculous though.

Silellak

Cipher
Roguey said:
Pretty nice discussion here, I don't have anything to contribute but I would like to draw attention to this bit of flip-flopping:
Two weeks ago
Relay said:
Now
Relay said:
This game is a fucking disappointment and not an incline from FO3...I will not replay this shitty game again...
oh_snap.gif

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO TOW THINGS FIRST AWSEOME JOB ON THE CHANGE OF HEART I KNOW SKYWAY WAS A SERIOUS OBSIDIAN FANBOY BUT THAT HURT HUIS REP HERE GOOD FOR YOU IN TAKING YOUR INTERNET PERSONA ION A DIFFERENT DIRECTION

ALKSO BRO HERE IS A HINT YOU CAN STOP PLAYING THE GAME IF YOU DONT LKIKE IT I HAVE FOUND THAT CNTRL ALT DELETE WORKS OR MAYBE THE POWER BUTTON IF YOU ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE

BRO I AM GETTING MADDER AND MADDER THAT PEOPLE LIKED THIS GAME

BROS LOLLOLLOLLOL THE HARDCORE BROS ARE THE NEWSHIT FANBOYS WHO GOT THERE HEARTS BROKEN I AM SORTA SAD RIGHT NOW

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SORRY I CANT STOP I AM REALLY REALLY ANGRY NWN2 AND KOTOR2 WERE CLASSICS OF THE RPG GENRE THEN THEY MESS THIS UP WITH FAG PROTOCOL THEN FAGGOT NEW VEGAS

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Meh, tl;dr the whole thread and I've got better things to do - like getting back to playing NV...

Regardless of it's faults, NV is still a hella'va lotta fun to play and that's the one point any game has to get right.

Also, it's highly moddable. Mods are already appearing that address nearly all the points Relay makes. For instance, I don't use VATS at all, I prefer the bullet time mod.

I also have mods installed that lower DT and raise damage for everyone makeing the fights a lot faster and more deadly (for me and who/what ever I'm fighting). There's also pleanty of mods either available or in development to overhaul the skill system.

The point is, for commercial reasons, Obs had to make a game that was acceptable to casuals, but still had all the ingredients of a hardcore RPG - now it's up to the community to make the game they want.

This is a situation I can live with. :salute:

roll-a-die said:
Mastermind said:
roll-a-die said:

Yeah, I wish they made it so that you could specify what guns did the 20% damage going through DR, because as it is now, you disable that, and once you get metal armor, machine gun rounds don't matter anymore. Which means you cease to worry about a lot of things.

It's harder at start, but piss easy once you get anywhere past that. I imagine the endgame would be ridiculous though.

Yeah, "Closer to Fallout: True Threshold" (plug, plug) means it's time to start running any time you encounter stuff like Giant Radscorpions for quite awhile. I emptied a Caravan Shotgun and my entire inventory of Dynamite on one, and the only thing it gained me was crippling the bastard's legs so I could get away. On the other hand, one of my other characters found some Metal Armor and now the Jackals and other piddly gangs normally can't do a thing to me. Save for the occasional guy who carries a rifle.

True Threshold makes you *hate* the NCR in the beginning if you help out the the Powder Gangers at the Correctional Facility. I had to come up with some inventive shit to get through their obscene DT advantage. The invaders were mowing through my comrades while taking hardly any damage in return. Again, the best option was hurling Dynamite into the middle of a group, and hoping it crippled them enough for a horde of PGs to dogpile them. I made it, but not without a couple reloads. And about 75-80% of the Powder Gangers were dead. Really makes the Correctional Facility feel decimated and half empty. I can already tell the endgame set pieces are going to be nuts.

I honestly think this absolute DT method should have been one of the toggable options right from the start.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Roguey said:
Two weeks ago
Relay said:
Now
Relay said:

lulzp.png

Black

Arcane
Why isn't the registration on Codex disabled yet?

Relay

Educated
Roguey said:
Two weeks ago
Relay said:
Now
Relay said:

Initial impression vs hours spent into finishing the game, is that flip flopping ? I made the first comment a bit too hastily. I had no idea, when I was still positive about NV of all the things I brought up here in that thread. When I said it was a great game I had yet to get past Novac, that was the extent of my knowledge of the game.

Anyway it isn't the first time I've had a positive feeling about a game only to have it crushed after having spent hours into it, I thought Dragon Age could be good until I did the circle tower and the derp roads.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mastermind said:
Relay said:
They're all bandaids applied to something that is broken to begin with.

They're not bandaids at all. They allow you to turn into an exploration grandmaster if you acquire the skills and knowledge to do so.

You shouldn't need any of those to make the game palatable.

You don't. Early on when you don't know anything exploration is fun and everything is new. Eventually you should become strong and knowledgeable enough that travel no longer becomes an issue.

Sorry but Daggerfall did it right, it makes no sense that its successor would do it worse.

Daggerfall was immense. And immense is an understatement. It was not feasible to make Daggerfall without fast travel. Morrowind and Oblivion are much smaller. I'm fine with fast travel, but at the same time it takes an ungodly amount of laziness for a veteran of Morrowind to complain about the walking. Nevermind that Daggerfall dungeons were a nightmare to navigate and the aimless walking was far, far worse as a result, despite the FT system.

You don't really need to get anywhere on the map with pinpoint precision within your first twenty hours. I found the exploration fun enough that by the time the walking got tedious I was reasonably efficient and getting anywhere I wanted within a reasonable timeframe. And if you're a veteran player fast travel simply isn't an issue because you should know how to deal with the distance.

Drog, why are you talking to yourself?

Relay

Educated
I'm not a troll but I enjoy creating a new account every once in a while just to see reactions like janjetina's showing how the codexian fashionista cares more about the who than the what was said. No, I'm not Drog, any moderator can confirm this.

For all the efforts you put into making yourselves look like the elite of teh "prestigious magazine" you're nothing more than fashionistas indulging in circle jerks.
JUSiU.png

Basically except for maybe a few who remember me in GD I keep on confusing the hell out of the kool kids.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Relay said:
'm not a troll but I enjoy creating a new account every once in a while just to see reactions like janjetina's showing how the codexian fashionista cares more about the who than the what was said. No, I'm not Drog, any moderator can confirm this.

Drog or Chefe (your posts are kind of blackcattish), it's irrelevant. Reading one troll post by you is like reading them all, your posting style is recognizable and labels you a troll. Maybe your arguments would have been addressed if you restrained from lying and exaggerating, and adding the trademark signature "PS:T sucks" and if the elements you attempted to criticize here haven't already been criticized before, without resorting to hyperbole and retardation. The meat of your post is: "Combat system is badly implemented'', to which I reply ''I agree''. But, your brain is too smooth to understand that combat system, while making a large part of gameplay mechanics, is not the only element of gameplay nmechanics and there lies the problem.

Relay said:
I thought in the beginning that they would have made the skills more unique, useful to have but apart from speech you could do the game with a whopping 10 in everything and still be overpowered.

That's a flat out lie. Try overpowering Cazadors, Nightstalkers and Deathclaws with 10 in combat skills. There are many skill checks all over the game and lacking skill requirements will lock you out of a large portion of content.

The truth is, there should have been stricter skill requirements and penalties for failure and the way skills are implemented are a compromise between our needs and necessity to make the game enjoyable for the consoletards. If your statement was along those lines and backed up by examples, I'm sure that content of your post would be worth responding to.

Apart from the odd deathclaw and particularly inane cazador (wtf ? it feels humiliating to get raped by a gang of flies. Nigga' please! deathclaws look impressive, cazadors are just 'tarded.)

Do you honestly think this is worth addressing?

you might say that equipment matters far, far more than your character in New Vegas exactly as it was in Fallout 3.

No contest there. After all, it IS the same combat system as in Failout 3, it suffers from the same shortcomings, and can be summarized as ''bad''. Do you think you're the first one to notice it and write about it?

The thing is, you don't need to be skilled in explosive to fuck people up with dynamites and grenades.

I wouldn't know that, but there were a few explosive checks in a game that my character couldn't pass, as a result I was unable to follow certain quest paths and reach certain quest solutions (the Vault with escaped prisoners come to mind).

You don't need much sneak to be able to snipe people from afar. You don't need much in guns either, sure having more gives you a bit more damage but it's not game-changing.

Why do you lie? Frequency of successful sneak attacks does rise with the increase of the Sneak skill, and this can be a matter of life and death against stronger opponents. ''A bit more damage'' is pretty important when fighting deathclaws.

In Fallout 1 and 2, not having skills points in weapons meant that you COULDN'T use them at all since you would be missing ALL THE FUCKING TIME even if your enemy was right in front of you. Here you only miss in VATS but VATS is fucking useless since you can precisely shoot from a bigger range than VATS allows using scopes.
Lacking strength didn't gimp the big guns as much as I thought it would when people said that "strength mattered". It may either lower the damage or precision but surely not enough to prevent me from using them when I get my hands on the ammunition with a whopping 5 STR.
I haven't invested ANY points in "unarmed" but it doesn't prevent my character from two-hit-killing people with the powerfist. In the original fallout you wouldn't even be able to touch someone if you didn't invest points.

I agree, but this has be mentioned before by others.

All in all, the only thing having a high skill in something does is about making you the avatar of God on earth because without them you can still pwn everything.

Everything, as in Deathclaws, cazadors, Nightstalkers? Really?

Add to that the magazines that boosts +10 your skills (+20 with the must-have perk) and you don't need more than 80 in speech (70 if you don't care for the single 100 speech check of the game), 50 in science and 50 in lockpick anyway.

Magazines and the perk are an overpowered combination, but once again you need to resort to lying and exaggeration. 50 in lockpick won't let you pick hard locks, as lock difficulty is incremented by 25. I think that the game has more than a few Science checks over 70 (e.g. the one for entering the Strip).

Barter is redundant, at least two thirds of the dialogues with barter checks offer equivalent speech checks. (huge WTF)

This is correct, though the remaining one third of Barter checks do matter and this is not a small number.

This game is a fucking disappointment and not an incline from FO3.

Let's see:
- combat system: the same
- UI: the same
- non combat skill utilization: better by an order of magnitude (both in quantity and in quality - leading to different ways to solve quests and/or outcomes)
- story and presentation (writing): better by an order of magnitude
- quest design: better by an order of magnitude, multiple ways to solve them, multiple solutions, skill utilization
- consequently, the setting: better by an order of magnitude

In summary, Fallout: New Vegas is a much better game than Failout 3. Of course, you, being a moron, will argue that combat is the only important part of the gameplay. I'll just say a few things: strip Fallout of everything but combat and you will get a bad game. Each game is a sum of its parts, and the parts don't hold the same weight (weights depend on the game itself). The only RPGish game that survives solely on its combat and needs nothing to be added (although it benefits from the additions) is Jagged Alliance 2.

Yeah, it has "better writing" for some relative value. I couldn't care less.

Assburger's syndrome is a desease. Why don't you get a treatment?

FO1 wasn't known for having spectacular dialogue and writing

No, but writing was good and helped the feel of the setting.Reading the Holodiscs found in the Glow and conversing with Zax significantly contribute to the atmosphere of the Glow. If they were written by Torr Howard, and if you had ''Quests" and ''Rumors'' options instead of well written sentences, suspension of disbelief would disappear.

and I'm sure most of the praise for New Vegas comes from the Planescape Torment aka Christ fagclub

In essence, it is a ''storyfag'' game.

The irony is that the biggest embarassment for New Vegas stems from some of the dialogue, in particular Caesar's. If you call "better writing" having a bigger vocabulary than the 100 words vocab' of Bethesda and having more lines of it, OK. Using a bigger vocabulary doesn't make the lines spoken any less retarded though.

The fact that you are retarded doesn't make your post badly written. The same goes for characters. Cass comes of as a crass woman due to her frustration with what happened to her caravan and her little alcohol problem certainly doesn't help. Veronica is just making juvenile jokes, which is in accordance with her light-hearted character. Their writing manages to depict them as characters, with certain character traits, i.e. personality. No such luck for Bethesda-written characters in Failout 3.

Cass obssession with peckers, Veronica joking about being "exhausted" from all the sex she had to do for the brotherhood, Gannon the homosexual playboy.. see a pattern here ? I bet the Christ is sex starved and has to make up for it using his game writing "talents".

Cass was written by Avellone, Gannon was written by Sawyer, Veronica was also written by somebody else than Avellone (I think it was Sawyer).

Of course, to put the last nail to the coffin New Vegas is as much of a walking simulator as Morrowind was in its time. I will not replay this shitty game again if only because of the long trek from freeside to jacobstown with absolutely nothing to do on the roads, complete absence of content. At least Fallout 3 and Oblivion threw the odd monster to kill from time to time while you were "busy" walking (and Oblivion had fast horses.). New Vegas is synonymous with emptiness, which I can somewhat understand in a post-apo world but Fallout 1 and 2 didn't make you do the walking, the character did and time accelerated on the map so you didn't get bored staring at the emptiness for hours.

1. This is postapocalyptic Wasteland, moron.
2. Yes, Fallout system is much better, so you are once again stating the obvious.

In summary, your post contains:
- stating the obvious, i.e. repeating what others have already said
- exaggerating and lying
- trolling (I am in illiterate assburger and I hate PS:T'').

As far as gameplay mechanics go, F:NV is a compromise between a consoletard game like Failout 3 and how an RPG should be done, but most RPGs belong in that category. Finishing the main quest is quite easy without serious thinking about skill point investment, but huge amount of additional content, which makes F:NV a much better experience, utilizes the skill system in a better way.

In short, it is a very good game, much better than Failout 3 and maybe it's the best RPG since Arcanum. Deal with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom