Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment - Profound changes

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Everyone who has played PST recently has probably used Qwinn's excellent bugfixing patch. Qwinn is now thinking of introducing 2 new important gameplay changes/fixes in his new PST fixpack. There has been some debate whether these changes should be implemented as bugfixes or tweaks and even Chris Avellone himself has offered his thoughts on the matter.

The 2 changes discussed are about the way TNO's hitpoints and THACO are handled in the game. more specifically:
Qwinn said:
I'm looking at implementing two pretty profound fixes in the upcoming Fixpack (probably released as soon as this is implemented and tested) that would radically alter how the game is played, and I'm looking for opinions on the issue.

The two fixes are:

1) TNO gains 1-10 hit points upon attaining a new level regardless of what class he's in. This is how the manual says it's supposed to work.

2) TNO's base THACO and number of attacks would be based on the current class you're in, not the best THACO between all your classes.

This would make it no longer pretty much absolutely necessary to play the first 9-13 levels (which is over 50% of the game) as a fighter. Throw out every player guide/leveling tips you ever heard. It would be much better to just pick the class you want to play as early as you can and stay in it throughout the game, rather than always playing fighter, fighter-mage or fighter-thief.

I think this would greatly improve gameplay (and make the manual actually be correct). What do you all think? I have a poll about this on my forums, please feel free to vote and chime in.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38078

Check the poll and original discussion here

spectre

Arcane
Err, right. Because Torment is all about ThAC0 and Hit Points?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, it is easier and quicker as far as battles are concerned to play the first levels as a fighter, although I always rush and become a mage as soon as possible when I want to follow the magic path. Aside from that, I agree with both changes, but they would both have to be implemented at the same time in order to keep the balance.

I've had no problems switching to mage ASAP, but do check Qwinn's mods. He and scient are doing amazing things.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm all in favor of changes that make things less irritating for obsessive-compulsive min/max-ers. I... I still have bouts sometimes.

OH MAN DUAL WIELDING SCALES WITH ENCHANTMENTS MUCH FASTER THAN 2H or Sword + Board OH GOD

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
spectre said:
yeah, "profound" may not have been the right word ^^ blame it on lazy copy-pasting on my part.

hiver

2) TNO's base THACO and number of attacks would be based on the current class you're in, not the best THACO between all your classes.

then whats the point of dual leveling?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
hiver said:

There is no real dual leveling in PST, you can just change classes whenever you want. The way Thac0 is handled you will pick up some levels as a fighter and if you change to mage/thief you can keep the fighter thac0.

Also, If only the hitpoint change is made then mages will gain much more hitpoints than they do now and they will be made too overpowered. I think it would be best to either implement both or none.

hiver

ghostdog said:
hiver said:
There is no real dual leveling in PST, you can just change classes whenever you want. The way Thac0 is handled you will pick up some levels as a fighter and if you change to mage/thief you can keep the fighter thac0

But thats my point. I have atleast something from those levels (time i spent learning) of fighter class. I think this includes thaco with particular weapon too, like knife - which you can use as a mage.

With this new system i would be left with nothing after i change into a mage.
screw dat.

Worm King

Scholar
Instead he could have added a possibility to play as a fighter/mage, like Dakkon.

Qwinn

Scholar
Hullo all. Ghostdog pointed me here so I thought I'd drop by and answer your concerns. Note that I did answer a few of them in the original thread ghostdog linked to in detail, so if you want more, feel free to hop on over and add to the discussion there.

Everyone seems to agree to the Consistent Hit Point change, so I won't dwell on that, other than to say that if that is implemented by itself, then it makes the issues that the THACO fix attempts to resolve even worse.

Of course it isn't it's primary focus, but it's not like a Fixpack can just ignore those issues. Have you noticed how many people here are saying the combat is too easy/frivolous? This actually goes to resolving that. And if you seriously don't care about THACO and hit points, then I'd think a change to how they are handled wouldn't bother you :)

I've had no problems switching to mage ASAP,

You can do so, but even if you go to a mage right away, the THACO issue is still relevant. As I pointed out in the thread, if you play the whole game as a mage, and then have -just- the single conversation with Vhailor that requires you to be a fighter, that will suddenly give you a +3 THACO boost, +3 strength and half an attack per round. From a single conversation that has nothing to do with combat, that you could not have had as a mage (so you're not sacrificing any experience), you are suddenly a kensai-mage with an impressive THACO and bonus attacks per round. Stay in fighter another few minutes, and you have a boost to your THACO of -5-. I submit it is incredibly unbalanced that you can turn your pure mage into a whirling dervish of combat in a matter of minutes.

I'm all in favor of changes that make things less irritating for obsessive-compulsive min/max-ers. I... I still have bouts sometimes.

Heh... not sure where the sarcasm is going on that one... but if anything, this makes the game less amenable to min-maxers. The answer to the min-maxer in PS:T up until these changes is incredibly obvious - 13 fighter, X thief, 22 mage. No other build is nearly as powerful.

The classes are nicely balanced if they don't overlap. With the THACO issue, they overlap such that you can get the simultaneous very high THACO of a fighter and the very high AC of a mage (mages can easily get 5 better AC than a fighter). That combination makes the build so powerful that, in fact, it makes the combat in the game trivially easy for that one build. I dunno about you guys, but any time I've played a mage in that way, I've never had to cast a spell to win a combat. Ever. Every single fight is a simple "Select All, Attack" meleefest, though maybe you might have to kite the Fiend FMB around... joy.

Sounds pretty pointless, just set the combat difficulty to easy instead

This confuses me. The effect of this will be the exact opposite. If you think a mage with better hit points but a THACO of 18 is going to make combat easier, well, I don't agree. Now if I were doing the Consistent HP change (which is definitely a bug, confirmed by Chris Avellone) -without- the THACO change, then yes, kensai-mages in this game become absurdly powerful and easily exploitable.

As if anyone ever had difficulty with combat in PsT. Who fucking cares, rly.

Exactly. Thus the nerf. Cause overall, frankly, that's what this is.

Options. You can approach a situation, decide what class would handle it better, and switch to it. You just don't get to enjoy the full benefits of multiple classes at the same time. If that were the intent, then TNO -would- just be a Fighter-Mage like Dak'kon.

Especially considering the 9-13 comment.

Not sure which one you're referring to.

But thats my point. I have atleast something from those levels (time i spent learning) of fighter class. I think this includes thaco with particular weapon too, like knife - which you can use as a mage.

As I pointed out, you can spend exactly 5 minutes "learning" to be a fighter in a single conversation and wind up with the THACO of a 10th level fighter. The experience at the endgame is so high that getting a very high THACO for your thief or mage is completely trivial. And it makes TNO overpowered and imbalanced compared to any of the combat challenges in the game.

Not sure what the knife objection is about. You do get to keep the bonuses from weapon proficiencies in any class you're in.

With this new system i would be left with nothing after i change into a mage.

You would actually get to keep any increase to your number of attacks from your fighter levels (boosts at levels 7 and 13) as both thief and mage. Which is a lot more than you get to keep from either other class switching to a fighter.

Instead he could have added a possibility to play as a fighter/mage, like Dakkon.

The game already lets you be a fighter mage for all intents and purposes. It actually virtually forces you to be. If you have that single fighter-only conversation with Vhailor, you're automatically at a 13 THACO. Spend 3 minutes more and you're at an 11 THACO, which a mage isn't entitled to till level 28.

And note, the answer is not to fix the experience reward in that conversation with Vhailor. His xp reward is not particularly large at that point in the game. The point is that at that point in the game, you can spend 5 minutes as a fighter doing damn near -anything-, not even fighting, and you have for all intents and purposes become a full fledged fighter-mage. The rest of the game is not balanced towards this. It makes the combat part of the game trivially easy, as virtually everyone here has confirmed that it is.

So I toss the prior comment back atcha... if you -don't- want the combat balanced in the game, then just put the difficulty slider to easy :)

Qwinn

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've never heard of "Qwinn's excellent bugfixing patch" (It's been a while since my last PS:T run-through). If I read the description right, it includes Platters fixes, and a few other, as well as the authors own fixes? If so... AWESOME.

The unfinished business pack sounds pretty cool too.

On-topic:

I like the first change with the hit-points.

If the second change would actually introduce some amount of *challenge* to the currently existing boring and way too easy combat, that would be welcome.

hiver

Options. You can approach a situation, decide what class would handle it better, and switch to it. You just don't get to enjoy the full benefits of multiple classes at the same time. If that were the intent, then TNO -would- just be a Fighter-Mage like Dak'kon.
How do i switch?

As I pointed out, you can spend exactly 5 minutes "learning" to be a fighter in a single conversation and wind up with the THACO of a 10th level fighter.
You cannot find Vhailor untill more then half of the game.

The easier solution would be to remove those increases in thaco he gives you.

And if you want to tweak the combat then make monsters and enemies stronger, better, more interesting.

Qwinn

Scholar
How do i switch?

Er, the way you normally do. Talk to Dak'kon or Annah or any of the other trainers that abound.

You cannot find Vhailor untill more then half of the game.

And there's no combat to speak of until just after you've found him aside from the entirely optional modron cube and undersigil.

The easier solution would be to remove those increases in thaco he gives you.

You can't. You're missing the point. Vhailor isn't giving you anything special except xp. Whatever your fighter THACO is, you get to keep it as a mage. So if you level as a fighter at all, you've got your awesome thaco boost as a mage. A 15th level mage's THACO is equivalent to that of a 5th level fighter. Got that? Just by being a 5th level fighter, when you switch to mage you've already been given combat capabilities you shouldn't have till 15th level. And you're almost certainly a 5th level fighter by running from the mortuary straight to Mebbeth's hut and becoming a mage as fast as you can. And in the second half of the game (any point from Ravel on), you can spend 5 minutes talking to people and wind up with a 10th level fighter, -all- of who's benefits transfer to your mage or thief.

And if you want to tweak the combat then make monsters and enemies stronger, better, more interesting.

My fixpack does this in some ways, when the reason they were weaker, poorer and less interesting were due to bugs. For example - the Horror spell, cast at you by a few mages, actually works on most of your party now. Previously, all it used to do was cost them a round of combat so you could cut them down.

But, frankly, the major reason they have up until now seemed weaker, poorer and less interesting is because mages and thieves were made overpowered by a bug. I could give them brilliant AI and stuff, but if you remain overpowered, -every- challenge is going to be trivial and boring. And no, I'm not going to elevate every other creature in the game when the exact same effect can be had by fixing this bug.

If the second change would actually introduce some amount of *challenge* to the currently existing boring and way too easy combat, that would be welcome.

It won't make any difference to those used to playing pure fighters, but it will make mages and thieves substantially more challenging. You'll probably actually need to *gasp* cast spells and otherwise use their abilities. Besides, -given- this bug, there was no sane reason -to- play a pure fighter, you got what you wanted from the class (usually never more than level 13 for the full attack bonus) and then switched to one of the other two and kept all the benefits. Now, it'll actually make sense to play a fighter beyond level 13.

Qwinn

I thought it was something actually important. I've never played Torment as a fighter (other then in the Mortuary) and have no idea why it is 'absolutely necessary'.

Qwinn

Scholar
I thought it was something actually important. I've never played Torment as a fighter (other then in the Mortuary) and have no idea why it is 'absolutely necessary'.

*sigh* Yes, you have, whether you wanted to or not. If you were even just a 5th level fighter by the time you got Mebbeth to train you, then your mage had combat capabilities that he shouldn't have had until level 15. It was impossible in this game -not- to be a fighter, of however many levels you have in the class, at all times. The only thing you wouldn't keep when you switched off it was using various weapon types, which made no real difference. Add to that that as a mage you'd have far better AC than your fighter ever could.

Look, the "absolutely necessary" part was in relation to the HP fix, which no one seems to be arguing against, which is in the manual, and which is confirmed to be a bug by Chris Avellone himself. That -should- be fixed. It's the way the game was meant to be.

A big reason you didn't find it necessary to have the hit points of a fighter in your other classes is because of the -other- bug, which made your mage and thief overpowered.

The only classes you've never played in this game are a pure rogue or a pure mage. Because as it stands, it's impossible to be one.

Qwinn

Come to think of it, I sometimes wondered why playing as a spell-caster in P:T felt rather different from, say, Baldur's Gate. I always assumed it was just The Nameless One being all buff like that. :D

Is one of the reasons why characters are overpowered the fact that most players take the "patch" that derandomizes the HP and sets them at max? I think it's crazy to have the HP randomly determined, but it strikes me that the game may've been balanced for the average HP rather than the max.

Qwinn

Scholar
By the way, another reason the messed up HP bug wasn't as bad as it should've been is because you also weren't supposed to get 1hp for every level you gained in a non-highest class. That's in the manual too. That potentially made up for quite a bit of the HP shortfall for mages and thieves, and actually gave fighters considerably more HP than they were ever supposed to have. That'll be getting fixed too.

Yeah, the Max HP tweak does unbalance it quite a bit. Most creatures in game actually have pretty crappy HP. A good tweak, which I might do someday but not anytime soon, would be one to give -them- all maximum HP for their level too. That'd be quite a bit more balanced IMO.

But really, I don't think that's the main reason the game is so easy. I think they basically balanced it to be reasonably beatable by a solo player, maybe a pair. There's no way you can balance it for a solo player and keep it from being anything but pretty damn easy for a group of 6. I consider a full party indispensable for the dialogue, so really, I do wish it'd been balanced for that.

Qwinn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom