Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Playing Fallout 1 for the first time

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fallout 1 is the best in the series.

Enjoy and savour it because it is one in a lifetime experiences, one of those games that is just quality from start to finish with only some relative blemishes (like the combat not being on a level with dedicated strategy games like JA2 but that's a given considering Fallout is an RPG).

Codex contrarians will accuse the game of having foisted the cancer of story faggotry RPGs on us, but it's one hell of a story fag game. In fact, i'll say it right here that the only problem with story fag RPGs is that good writing is so rare in gaming it's really, really rare to actually get a good one, and Fallout 1 is such a one.

Athena

Educated
IIRC The original 150 days for water chip is quite tight, especially for first run. We made the decision to arrange for water caravan because it's a logical decision at the time. Especially with 100 days extension coming from that.
You also get an extra 1000xp by hiring the water caravan so it's a very good deal.

BruceVC

Magister
As long as we're having a Fo1 thread, and since BruceVC just finished this part - does anyone know what exactly finishes the "free the slaves" quest? I can never figure out what the speciifc victory conditions are. It's not just killing every Khan on the map, because the quest often completes with several exterior guards left standing. And it's not just killing Garl, because I've assassinated him with reverse-pickpocketed dynamite (and beat him to death in the one-on-one fight, which the other Khans seem to let you get away with) and the two women are still considered to be captives after that.

I don't think you even have to kill every named Khan, since you can leave weirdos like Petrox alive and have the quest complete, iirc. It's always confused me. I find it more fun to fuck around and do targeted assassinations rather than engage in all-out combat, but I always end up massacring the entire Khans base because I can't find out who precisely the game wants me to kill to free the captives.
Thats an interesting question, I killed every Khan and named Khan on the map and I received the XP for it. So it must be related to killing them all?

Diggfinger

Arcane
You can spend 30h if you go and explore stuff and not just follow main quest.
I dont believe it, there is really not that much to explore here, it took me around 12 hours to beat the game and i wasted a lot of time juggling items between character because my pc had 2 STR and backtracking lmao

B5T3O1c.png

8 CH...and 5 INT... In Fallout 1 :(

BruceVC

Magister
Another significant battle I finally won last night. It was with the Mother Deathclaw and completing the Gun Runners side quest

I tried to kill her on 3 different occasions on level 4-5 with my assault rifle and plasma gun but kept failing because she was fast and could always run after me and tear me to pieces

But I completed the Brotherhood of Steel initation quest in the Glow and I selected a snipers rifle as my reward. And I was level 7 so I was on about 85-90% for small guns and energy weapons

I went back to Mother and I was able to critical hit her legs with my sniper rifle so she couldnt run after me as effectively and with my trusty but braindead companions, Katya and Dogmeat, I was able to finally kill her using mostly ranged combat. But she was very tough :cool:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Enjoy and savour it because it is one in a lifetime experiences, one of those games that is just quality from start to finish with only some relative blemishes (like the combat not being on a level with dedicated strategy games like JA2 but that's a given considering Fallout is an RPG).

Codex contrarians will accuse the game of having foisted the cancer of story faggotry RPGs on us, but it's one hell of a story fag game. In fact, i'll say it right here that the only problem with story fag RPGs is that good writing is so rare in gaming it's really, really rare to actually get a good one, and Fallout 1 is such a one.
Fallout is not a storyfag game though.

agris

Arcane
Patron

People that obsess over labels - often the same who pre-order Obsidian games - cannot grok a game with fun combat and a good story that doesn’t beat you over the head with lore dumps and failed-fiction-writer dialogue nodes.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You can spend 30h if you go and explore stuff and not just follow main quest.
I dont believe it, there is really not that much to explore here, it took me around 12 hours to beat the game and i wasted a lot of time juggling items between character because my pc had 2 STR and backtracking lmao

B5T3O1c.png
Sunri, how did you get the back blackground to the character sheet? which variant of F1 were you playing? I thought my old widescreen + crafty's sfall version of F1 - so not F1inF2 - had this, but I just booted it up with widescreen enabled, you can see the world behind the character screen.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Fallout is a demonic game because your guy's ending is a subversive anti heroic slop twist

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I've literally seen people accuse the game of having been "decline" compared to Wasteland for starting the whole storyfag RPG genre. I mean here in the Codex.

agris

Arcane
Patron
you fucked up, fixt is fanfic-tier mod. you should either play OG F1, or Fallout et tu.

play in 960x540, don't be a gimp and play in 1080p

Fixt has a purist "bug fixes only" option. Fallout et tu is far from purist, it's a fan-made remake. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...t-in-the-fallout-2-engine.131770/post-6525522
the bug fixes only option that gives you a laser pistol if you tag energy weapons, or adds a new merchant in shady sands?

Et tu has options that are not vanilla, but you can play a much more faithful F1 with it than @sduibeck’s messed up fixt mod

index.php

Arcane
Even when choosing the "purist" option, Fallout Fixt is riddled with bugs, completely arbitrary balance changes, and fanfiction-like additions, which Lexx spends a lot of time reverting in Fallout et tu (et tu is based on Fixt, although he regrets it now).

BruceVC

Magister
I just completed FO1 after about 40 hours or so. As I mentioned earlier it was an excellent CRPG experience that includes

• open world and a great sandbox overall experience
  • no map quest hand holding on the area maps, you need to explore and ask people questions to complete quests. Like the Deathclaw quest in the Hub
  • deep character customization and this allows you to really create different characters and that can influence your journey
  • great lore and interesting quests
  • unique towns and each one with there own characteristics

I dont recall any bugs with Fixt but I might not have known because this is the first time I played FO1 but everything seemed to be fine

I ended up getting a Plasma Rifle at Mariposa which made me deadly in combat and I enjoyed how the game provides so many different weapons. I really battled with the Master fight, I was killed about 7 times before I adopted a winning strategy. I buffed up on drugs and then aimed for his eyes and fortunately scored critical hits and he died after about 5 rounds, I used super stimpacks and ignored the other enemies attacking

I didn't particularly enjoy having to run out the Cathedral and Mariposa knowing there was 300 seconds but it was fun to get out the buildings and survive

Now Im going to play FO2 :bounce:

Any mod suggestions would be appreciated or suggestions on what mods are recommended

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I just completed FO1 after about 40 hours or so. As I mentioned earlier it was an excellent CRPG experience that includes

• open world and a great sandbox overall experience
  • no map quest hand holding on the area maps, you need to explore and ask people questions to complete quests. Like the Deathclaw quest in the Hub
  • deep character customization and this allows you to really create different characters and that can influence your journey
  • great lore and interesting quests
  • unique towns and each one with there own characteristics

I dont recall any bugs with Fixt but I might not have known because this is the first time I played FO1 but everything seemed to be fine

I ended up getting a Plasma Rifle at Mariposa which made me deadly in combat and I enjoyed how the game provides so many different weapons. I really battled with the Master fight, I was killed about 7 times before I adopted a winning strategy. I buffed up on drugs and then aimed for his eyes and fortunately scored critical hits and he died after about 5 rounds, I used super stimpacks and ignored the other enemies attacking

I didn't particularly enjoy having to run out the Cathedral and Mariposa knowing there was 300 seconds but it was fun to get out the buildings and survive

Now Im going to play FO2 :bounce:

Any mod suggestions would be appreciated or suggestions on what mods are recommended
don’t use mods you faggot

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

I've literally seen people accuse the game of having been "decline" compared to Wasteland for starting the whole storyfag RPG genre. I mean here in the Codex.
The more proper criticism was that it valued a solid all around RPG experience while not necessarily excelling in any one particular point which was often not the norm of older RPGs.

It’s a valid criticism but even conceding that, I still find it the best RPG. Depends on what you want and what your experience of the genre was I guess.

rubinstein

Educated
if you asked me even a year ago i would say that FO2 is the best fallout, but nowadays i appreciate FO more. FO is a more coherent experience, despite FO2 being """better""". i just learned to value this more than "fun" somewhere along the way.

recently ive discovered theres another series that kinda parallels Fallout when it comes to the way the it was handled. the more i think about it, the more uncanny the resemblance seems. and the series is... saints row. check this out, nigga:
SR4 & FO4 - garbage
SR3 & FO3 - the ones that brought in the normies, dramatic tone shift (however FO3 is probably the worst game here, by far. SR3 is simply mid)
SR2 & FO2 - the masterpieces according to diehards
SR & FO - "wait, so actually the first one was the best one all along?"
im currently playing SR for the first time (didnt have xbox back then, thank god for emulation) and i am experiencing the same sensation that made me switch my allegiance from FO2 to FO during one of FO playthroughs. i played SR2 ages ago and loved it. but i find the tone of SR slightly better, i prefer the original cast of saints (pierce and shaundi are way worse than dex or lin), i prefer playa to the boss... despite them being the same char. SR puts more emphasis on corruption of saints as a group of people trying to bring peace to their hood, which was abandoned by the state and crooked cops. this feels more real than SR2 theme of boss becoming even more of a an unlikable sociopath than he was in SR (gentrification theme in SR2 is good though). even the improved gameplay of SR2 does not convince me that much anymore. i can literally rephrase what i said about FO and FO2:
SR is a more coherent experience, despite SR2 being """better""". i am just learning to value this more than "fun".
i omitted SR 2022, because this ESG slop should be forgotten. and I omitted FNV, because it didnt fit the analogy.

I second the suggestion not to use mods, FO and FO2 are lean and efficient games and don't need to be bloated with additional features and quests.

Zlaja

Arcane
if you asked me even a year ago i would say that FO2 is the best fallout, but nowadays i appreciate FO more. FO is a more coherent experience, despite FO2 being """better""". i just learned to value this more than "fun" somewhere along the way.

recently ive discovered theres another series that kinda parallels Fallout when it comes to the way the it was handled. the more i think about it, the more uncanny the resemblance seems. and the series is... saints row. check this out, nigga:
SR4 & FO4 - garbage
SR3 & FO3 - the ones that brought in the normies, dramatic tone shift (however FO3 is probably the worst game here, by far. SR3 is simply mid)
SR2 & FO2 - the masterpieces according to diehards
SR & FO - "wait, so actually the first one was the best one all along?"
im currently playing SR for the first time (didnt have xbox back then, thank god for emulation) and i am experiencing the same sensation that made me switch my allegiance from FO2 to FO during one of FO playthroughs. i played SR2 ages ago and loved it. but i find the tone of SR slightly better, i prefer the original cast of saints (pierce and shaundi are way worse than dex or lin), i prefer playa to the boss... despite them being the same char. SR puts more emphasis on corruption of saints as a group of people trying to bring peace to their hood, which was abandoned by the state and crooked cops. this feels more real than SR2 theme of boss becoming even more of a an unlikable sociopath than he was in SR (gentrification theme in SR2 is good though). even the improved gameplay of SR2 does not convince me that much anymore. i can literally rephrase what i said about FO and FO2:
SR is a more coherent experience, despite SR2 being """better""". i am just learning to value this more than "fun".
i omitted SR 2022, because this ESG slop should be forgotten. and I omitted FNV, because it didnt fit the analogy.

Finally another gentleman around here that understands that Saint's Row 1 is the best in the series. :salute:

janior

Arcane
Patron
FO2 is p garbage compared to the original, it's more like a fan game than a sequel well i guess the mechanics are still solid in it but everything else is trash

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom