Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Playing Fallout 1 for the first time

I played a GOG release and had that happen to me. Everyone in Necropolis was dead and it happened when going from one screen to the next, was pretty weird. I guess it would be annoying, but the game is very succint with its content. The game has one "true" dungeon and that's not even story related.

sorta ninjaed by Spukrian

BruceVC

Magister
That was patched out by Interplay because it was unpopular.
Pity, that would have been an interesting development to see that

But Im not a fan of timed quests unless they absolutely unavoidable like the water chip quest. I used mods to disabled all the times quests in Daggerfall because I didnt want to be rushed and like spending time exploring

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm still confused how it took so many hours to finish the game. How much shit bloat was added with the mod and why play it for a first playthrough?

BruceVC

Magister
I played a GOG release and had that happen to me. Everyone in Necropolis was dead and it happened when going from one screen to the next, was pretty weird. I guess it would be annoying, but the game is very succint with its content. The game has one "true" dungeon and that's not even story related.

Are you sure you didnt do what I did which was take the water chip from Necropolis and that destroyed the town...I still feel guilty about that :(

BruceVC

Magister
I'm still confused how it took so many hours to finish the game. How much shit bloat was added with the mod and why play it for a first playthrough?
I used the Full install option with Fixt but I dont know how much additional content that added or what it changed

And I completed about 15 quests in the various towns and I spent lots of time exploring the Wasteland but realized its mostly empty

And then I spent several hours trying to win certain battles but that was also a waste of time until I got to higher levels and better skills. So the 40 hours I spent was a combination of things I did

Are you sure you didnt do what I did which was take the water chip from Necropolis and that destroyed the town...I still feel guilty about that :(
No, it's related to the Master's invasion. In the original vision you had the urgency of the water chip and then the invasion of the mutant army. That's why you don't have to tell people about your vault. IIRC it can still get raided if you tell them, but it was patched to have its more dire effects removed from the game. This is what makes Bethesda's Fallout so stupid, people aren't supposed to know about the Vaults... but then again, Avellone opened the door with the FO Bible, although that's not meant to be canon even if people treat it as such

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Another question that Im interested in, how is Wasteland 1 compared to FO1?

i have never played any Wasteland games

Wasteland 1 is one of the best RPGs of the Gold Box era, along with Wizardry VI and Dark Sun

Its squad based and combat centric, but very atmospheric and with a freeform world a la Morrowind (go anywhere, do anything from the start)

Fallout 1 was supposed to be called Wasteland 2, but Interplay lost the rights

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I used the Full install option with Fixt but I dont know how much additional content that added or what it changed
why do you think this is a good way to go into a classic game that you've never played before?
I learned my lesson after playing Stalker for the first time with a supposedly "purist" bugfix mod. Imagine my shock when I replayed it vanilla and noticed all the retarded changes the mod author made. Thankfully I was warned about Fixt before playing Fallout.

Mods: not even once

BruceVC

Magister
why do you think this is a good way to go into a classic game that you've never played before?
Do you really want to know? Are you genuinely interested why I generally always use mods even when its my first play through?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do you really want to know? Are you genuinely interested why I generally always use mods even when its my first play through?
I do, because I'm trying to provide earnest feedback but if you're just stupid I'm going to stop.

BruceVC

Magister
I do, because I'm trying to provide earnest feedback but if you're just stupid I'm going to stop.
I will summarize it, In the 20 years I have been actively gaming I have only ever replayed 4-5 games and they include BG2, Gothic 3, Oblivion and Morrowind

The reason I dont replay games is once I know how the narrative is going to progress and end its becomes a little boring for me. So I mod games to achieve the best possible experience that includes the most lore friendly content and bug fixes because I wont be playing the game again

I already mentioned in a previous post why I installed Fixt specifically but if I had known the general views of Fixt in this thread I probably wouldnt have installed it but initially this thread was created by moderators and the first post in this thread by me was in another thread. And I had already started on the game when this thread became as active as it is

So in summary I didnt realize the general negative views from veterans of the game about Fixt when I started playing FO1

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This retard replayed Gothic 3 but fucked with a short FO1 playthrough because *don't replay games*.

You are actually braindead if you can replay shit like Gothic 3 and Oblivion without blowing your brains out

Lemming42

Arcane
Why is the Restoration mod not a good idea for FO2?
I know people have already answered, but I'll just quickly add:
- Lots of new stuff that's not really integrated into the world, like the EPA. This is an issue because Fo2's internal logic is already a bit wonky, so throwing even more stuff in just makes it feel even more like a theme park.
- The new content kind of sucks. To pick on the EPA again, it's just a bunch of Red Dwarf references (you meet Talkie Toaster and can recruit Cat). It's a real low point, and I'm saying that as someone who really likes Red Dwarf.
- It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure there's a few new weapons that just break the balance entirely, and Fo2's balance is already in tatters.
- Fo2 is already bloated, adding in even more bloat won't make the game more fun. Restoration mod is for people who know the base game inside out and want to add in some new fan content of varying quality for their 30000th playthrough.
- The dialogue is often written in a very obviously different style to the base game. You'll see the new content coming a mile off, and it'll take you out of the game.

The only real advantage to using it for a first-time player is that it adds Sulik's quest into the game, which is conspicuously absent from the original and is just an open plot hook with no resolution.

I get your desire to make the game the most complete version of itself prior to your playthrough, but trust what everyone's saying and go vanilla.

The EPA is long, obtuse, and really not part of the overal game. The base game already suffers from having locations full of memes that are not connected to anything else in the game and the EPA just deepens this issue on top of bloating your game time.

BruceVC

Magister
Why is the Restoration mod not a good idea for FO2?
I know people have already answered, but I'll just quickly add:
- Lots of new stuff that's not really integrated into the world, like the EPA. This is an issue because Fo2's internal logic is already a bit wonky, so throwing even more stuff in just makes it feel even more like a theme park.
- The new content kind of sucks. To pick on the EPA again, it's just a bunch of Red Dwarf references (you meet Talkie Toaster and can recruit Cat). It's a real low point, and I'm saying that as someone who really likes Red Dwarf.
- It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure there's a few new weapons that just break the balance entirely, and Fo2's balance is already in tatters.
- Fo2 is already bloated, adding in even more bloat won't make the game more fun. Restoration mod is for people who know the base game inside out and want to add in some new fan content of varying quality for their 30000th playthrough.
- The dialogue is often written in a very obviously different style to the base game. You'll see the new content coming a mile off, and it'll take you out of the game.

The only real advantage to using it for a first-time player is that it adds Sulik's quest into the game, which is conspicuously absent from the original and is just an open plot hook with no resolution.

I get your desire to make the game the most complete version of itself prior to your playthrough, but trust what everyone's saying and go vanilla.
Thanks, I was going to use the Restoration mod but now Im not going to . You and others have convinced me

I will go vanilla for FO2 :salute:

To be honest, those games don't have any real issues outside of the kids missing in the first game which breaks the Followers quest, but you can complete them without issues as they are.
With time you learn that any mod that brings content back is bound to do so in a very messy fashion. It's best to avoid them and only use them once or twice.

Lexx

Cipher
Some people in here quite clearly haven't looked at the RPU in a long time. Yes it adds new shit, but it's not as much as some make it out to be. The Abbey and EPA are the biggest additions, both can be entirely skipped (most generic players probably won't even find them at first). There's also that Frisco submarine. Not sure right now if it can be skipped, but at least it's short. There's no new weapons that change the balance or shit like that.

Personally the worst offender in the RPU are the changed maps with too much clutter bullshit thrown into it. However, just recently pixotes map overhaul for RPU v27 has been released, which fixes this and actually visually greatly enhances all maps. Before this mod, I would have suggested the UPU instead, with that mod I don't care anymore. It also cleans up the Abby and EPA locations, so they fit better into the rest of the game (I still don't like them, though, since they were cut for a reason... it's shit content).

Lemming42

Arcane
Some people in here quite clearly haven't looked at the RPU in a long time. Yes it adds new shit, but it's not as much as some make it out to be. The Abbey and EPA are the biggest additions, both can be entirely skipped. There's also that Frisco submarine. Not sure right now if it can be skipped, but at least it's short. There's no new weapons that change the balance or shit like that.
It's still a problem for a first-time player since they won't immediately be able to tell what's new and what isn't, and will just explore whatever's there. Unless someone is really loving Fo2's "here's a character/idea from a different piece of pop culture, transplanted into our game with no explanation and almost no changes" thing, EPA will slow any playthrough to a crawl, and if you're not familiar with Red Dwarf you'll just be thinking "wtf is this shit". There's also Sulik's tribe which isn't awful (other than adding yet another ghost into the game) but which again will draw players away from the actual Fallout 2 content and off into a lengthy fanmade thing. I forgot about the submarine, I actually really liked that lol.

I'll defer on the new weapons point; as I said, I wasn't 100% sure about that one.

Athena

Educated
The restoration patch sucks. It not only adds new content that is mostly unfun but it also has several "rebalancing" issues that weren't needed at all and just make things harder for a first time player for no reason at all. Skip!

I will summarize it, In the 20 years I have been actively gaming I have only ever replayed 4-5 games and they include BG2, Gothic 3, Oblivion and Morrowind

The reason I dont replay games is once I know how the narrative is going to progress and end its becomes a little boring for me. So I mod games to achieve the best possible experience that includes the most lore friendly content and bug fixes because I wont be playing the game again

I already mentioned in a previous post why I installed Fixt specifically but if I had known the general views of Fixt in this thread I probably wouldnt have installed it but initially this thread was created by moderators and the first post in this thread by me was in another thread. And I had already started on the game when this thread became as active as it is

So in summary I didnt realize the general negative views from veterans of the game about Fixt when I started playing FO1

I actually laughed out loud reading this post. Look, I don't want to judge you for how you play(even though this is the Codex), but you have to realize Fallout is basically the opposite of those games where you create one munchkin character who does everything and sees everything and can cockslap God in the face with 100/100/100 stats. You'll get much more satisfaction from multiple playthroughs using different types of characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. It'll probably take you less time too.

BruceVC

Magister

I actually laughed out loud reading this post. Look, I don't want to judge you for how you play(even though this is the Codex), but you have to realize Fallout is basically the opposite of those games where you create one munchkin character who does everything and sees everything and can cockslap God in the face with 100/100/100 stats. You'll get much more satisfaction from multiple playthroughs using different types of characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. It'll probably take you less time too.
Yes I realize that now, I mentioned it was the first time I played FO1 and I initially assumed it would make sense to mod it like I modded FO3, FO4 and F:NV

But its not like those games which is also why Im not going to mod FO2 :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom