Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible incline in Mech gaming?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Berekän said:
No, fuck you and fuck your fucking animu mechas.

The greatest thing about Mechwarrior is that the Mechs are gigantic monsters of steel and destruction, sluggish and slow but able to tear apart a fucking city, if you want your fucking ballerina robots just stick with your animu mechas but don't mess with MechWarrior :rpgcodex:

PS: I didn't say fuck, fuck, fuck enough.
I take it you've never played Heavy Gear 2.

MechWarrior as a series is for people who can't handle proper mech combat of any style. It's the popamole blight on the genre, where no skill of any kind is involved.

And don't pretend to after watching videos in Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvkkAgNZfTY

Seriously, what the fuck is that shit?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Retarded duel AI, that's what.

And the player himself using only SMS movement mode (essentially roller-blade thingies, considerably faster speed on open ground, shit maneuverability and problems with difficult terrain) with slow Gears used.

Oh yea, I also forgot that Heavy Gear 2 had zero-g combat. It was annoying as shit though, due to the disorienting nature of x-y-z combat and the large distances.

Man, I wish they'd release Heavy Gear 2 on GOG. I couldn't get it to work properly on my previous computer, and not at all on my current computer. A remake would be better though, so modern graphics could make it possible to hide from visual detection amidst terrain just as well as you can hide from electronic detection. My favourite thing to do when I got a bunch of people into the game a few years back was to use Gears designed to fuck with them, like snipers that attack them before they can see them, or a mortar-lobber that moves around from hiding spot to the next to fire a new barrage of guided and unguided mortars. The sniper bit would have been more fun if I didn't have to rely on limited draw distance (without the Gear being equipped with Sniper Optics) alone.

But anyway, it'd be nice if our Polish brothers would sign with Activision to distribute Heavy Gear 2 on GOG. Maybe open up the engine and code a little for modders too for better textures, AI and such.

DraQ

Arcane
J1M said:
Berekän said:
No, fuck you and fuck your fucking animu mechas.

The greatest thing about Mechwarrior is that the Mechs are gigantic monsters of steel and destruction, sluggish and slow but able to tear apart a fucking city, if you want your fucking ballerina robots just stick with your animu mechas but don't mess with MechWarrior :rpgcodex:

PS: I didn't say fuck, fuck, fuck enough.

TBH, giant mecha are pretty retarded concept when it comes to combat applications, even if they are "real robots". Zomg karate mecha are, of course, orders of magnitude more retarded, but highly mobile power armours are pretty sweet and hardly ever used in games.

baronjohn

Cipher
Mechs of all sizes are completely retarded from an engineering standpoint. They're so retarded I'm surprised the US or Israel isn't fielding them right now. After all you can destroy a mech with a $100 rocket, and what's destroyed has to be re-bought so it's perfect for the US arms industry.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, mecha don't obey the laws of physics obviously. Instead, their speed, firepower and toughness is entirely fueled by awesome.

EDIT: And actually, the slow and lumbering BattleTech mecha is the most unrealistic one. At least the others are derp jets.

Vaarna_Aarne

Black said:
Heavy Gear 2

TOO FUCKING BAD THEY'RE NOT MECHS BUT SOME SORTS OF POWER ARMOURS, WHICH TOTALLY RUINS IMMERSION!!
4456f2.png

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Actually huge mobile powerplants with guns sorta makes sense in Battle Techs world, i mean they are small planetary expeditionary forces.
Which must survive without air support and reserves, and still can take on larger armies and outmanouver them.

Instead spending shitload on a huge expenditionary force to travel to a single planet they can just hire some mercanaries with the firepower of an entire division.

DraQ

Arcane
deus101 said:
Actually huge mobile powerplants with guns sorta makes sense in Battle Techs world, i mean they are small planetary expeditionary forces.
Which must survive without air support and reserves
Not being a huge, highly vertical target with questionable structural integrity (limbs) and inherent stabilization problems would be a good start.

deus101

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_(reboot)

On September 3, 2009, shortly after posting preview videos and images of the game, IGN was issued a cease and desist order by Harmony Gold USA (owners of the Robotech franchise), citing copyright infringement. In 1996, FASA (the former owners of the BattleTech franchise) were involved in a legal case over the use of mecha designs derived from the Macross series, and decided to discontinue using images of mecha that were developed outside of FASA. These 'Mechs were then referred to by fans as the Unseen.[3] The trailer for MechWarrior featured the Warhammer, one of the Unseen, which is designed similarly to the Destroid Tomahawk from Macross, or the Excalibur Destroid from the Robotech Series.[4] The Warhammer, as well as several other 'Mechs, such as the Marauder and Archer, were an important part of the early BattleTech universe and image, but were based on images from Macross and other mecha anime series, which FASA had licensed from the original Japanese creators, but Harmony Gold claimed the images as their own property inside the US. It is currently unknown if the Unseen will be used in the final game or not.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Chuftie

Augur
Looks meh, but never was a fan of the battletech style robots.

Was hoping for something like Shogo

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
deus101 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgNfrsuiXgY

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Finally a worthy successor of MW3. And it's the only MW that makes the mecha really feel big. In MW2 and 4 they felt like toys, not giant robots.

Vaarna_Aarne

There is no such a thing as a worthy successor to MW games, because they aren't something that are hard to live up to, except in terms of single-player campaigns.

My biggest props are for using the best BT set-up though, the Succession Wars.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
MW3 was the only MW game so far that somewhat felt like it's about giant mecha. And it had deformable terrain.

deus101

DraQ said:
deus101 said:
Which must survive without air support and reserves
Not being a huge, highly vertical target with questionable structural integrity (limbs) and inherent stabilization problems would be a good start.

Ok, bringing up the feasibility of Battletech's physics is beginning to be retarded.

And you can't exactly scale down a powerplant with guns can ya?
Everyone knows numbers beat quality, but here its suppose to get quality while forgoing the usual logistics problems.

Its like what Space Marines is to the imperial guards.

Destroid

Arcane
Also, to those commenting on the lack of variety of weapons in the Mechwarrior games. I think the weapons are quite varied, with major differences between the types.

Lasers are pretty basic, as they get bigger they get less efficient in all regards except criticals (internal volume/vulnerability to damage) and they get improved range. Pulse lasers are a rapid fire version that has lesser range, thus are better for criticals.

Autocannons are the opposite, bigger autocannons get more damage but less range, much less heat than lasers but heavier and need ammo (which can explode!) Capable of very high amounts of damage in a short period but limited ammunition. LB-X version spreads damage around for better critical chance.

Missiles spread damage and lock on, good for criticals but can be countered by anti missile systems.

PPCs are high damage and range for punching through armour.

Gauss rifle is similar to the PPC but very heavy and creates no heat.

deus101

But YOU DONT GOT THROWABLE GRENADES AND SWORDSSS!!1100 one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom