Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible incline in Mech gaming?

Baron

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
How about a Wh40k Titan game. Titans have anti-grav generators, so their superscience is better thought out. And they are walking cathedrals.
I would enjoy a game where St. Peter's Basilica got up and began rampaging through Europe with a crazed Benedict at the helm.

Destroid

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Destroid said:
The LRMs can be indirect fired. People don't complain about the lack of fire cones in Quake3 :p
However, in an extremely limited fashion, seeing how you need visual contact to establish lock-on and the arc is not very steep (I don't remember how it worked in MW2, but in 3 you had to shoot upwards after lock-on to get an arc, and in 4 there was an arc).

When you invent short range fire control systems that do not require line of fire, be sure to let me know.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Yea, instead of recycling the same old shit that is MechWarrior, relaunch the Terra Nova and/or Heavy Gear franchises instead. I could use some more reliable sources of good mecha simulation other than Armored Core.

I want an mech-simulator not a FPS!
As detailed myriad times before, MechWarrior sucks as a mech-simulator. Armored Core, Heavy Gear, Steel Battalion and Terra Nova blast it out of the water.

Destroid said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Destroid said:
The LRMs can be indirect fired. People don't complain about the lack of fire cones in Quake3 :p
However, in an extremely limited fashion, seeing how you need visual contact to establish lock-on and the arc is not very steep (I don't remember how it worked in MW2, but in 3 you had to shoot upwards after lock-on to get an arc, and in 4 there was an arc).

When you invent short range fire control systems that do not require line of fire, be sure to let me know.
The Spike MR missile system is a real-life infantry weapon that has an effective range of up to 2.5 kilometers, and it's other primary means of attack is to lock-on after it's climbed to the top of its firing arc where the gunner using it creates a new optical lock-on by remote control using the live feed the missile's warhead sends him through fiber optic cable. The effective range of most tank guns is considerably longer.

And because mech-simulators take place on a large variety of ranges, presence of indirect means of attack in form of guided mortars or missiles with unconventional flight paths is something you should include. MechWarrior has no excuse for severely limiting itself, other than being based on a STRATEGY game with no effort to actually adapt it into a simulator.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Yea, instead of recycling the same old shit that is MechWarrior, relaunch the Terra Nova and/or Heavy Gear franchises instead. I could use some more reliable sources of good mecha simulation other than Armored Core.

As detailed myriad times before, MechWarrior sucks as a mech-simulator. Armored Core, Heavy Gear, Steel Battalion and Terra Nova blast it out of the water.

And Bioware RPG's are so fantastic because it lets you "PLAY OUT A ROLE".

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Are you Liberal's alt?

deus101

Awor Szurkrarz said:
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
deus101 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Are you Liberal's alt?

yes

Destroid

Arcane
I don't even know why I'm defending Mech2, I agree that all the others listed are better games (although I've not played Steel Battalion).

Many of the systems you mention are available in the table top game (missile deployable mine fields, target designation lasers, indirect fire with LRMs, mortars and melee weapons. It also has a moderate electronic game with ECM and active sensors on some mechs. The amount of exotic hardware increase with the tech level, Mech2+Mercs is played at T2, Mech3+ are a mix of T2 and T3 equipment and mechs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Destroid said:
I don't even know why I'm defending Mech2, I agree that all the others listed are better games (although I've not played Steel Battalion).

Many of the systems you mention are available in the table top game (missile deployable mine fields, target designation lasers, indirect fire with LRMs, mortars and melee weapons. It also has a moderate electronic game with ECM and active sensors on some mechs. The amount of exotic hardware increase with the tech level, Mech2+Mercs is played at T2, Mech3+ are a mix of T2 and T3 equipment and mechs.
The tabletop game is definately good stuff. I would vastly prefer it being popular in place of the Warhammers.

The mystery, however, is why the hell did some game designer's half-assed ruler-scribblings end up becoming the official artwork.

DraQ

Arcane
Destroid said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Destroid said:

Even mundane mortar qualifies if you add some sort of simple ballistic computer (by "simple" I mean "analog, mechanical computer based on WWII tech will do"), you just need to know where the enemy is - that's what drones/spotters and such are for.

See Vaarna_Aarne's post for fancier example not needing external assistance.

Vaarna_Aarne

The big problem with MechWarrior having indirect combat is because the Radar system is "see everything within radius X" with no variation based on terrain, electronic warfare, target movement and so on.

By contrast, in Armored Core, your radar has the following key statistics in addition to range:

Pulse Interval, which determines how fast your radar screen updates itself.

ECM Resistance, with each radar having different resistance to interference, most commonly from plasma storms (after-effect of Plasma cannons) or ECM pods deployed nearby. Bear in mind that ECM gets stronger the closer you are to the source, and it doesn't just shutdown your radar but rather makes it and your target acquisition erratic and unreliable.

Radar Strength, which determines the radar's ability to detect targets further away in its range. Target movement, use of boosters and radar determine the ease of detection, with ECM interference making things harder. Bear in mind that without radar detection, your mech cannot lock-on to the target, which means you can't expect to hit a damn thing.

In addition to these attributes pertaining to your radar map, you also have all the functions of your fire control system, such as Acquisition Range (lock-on range, which is separate from your radar detection range), Lock-On Speed, Missile Aptitude (missile weapons use different lock-on from your usual guns and lasers), Tracking Ability, Blade Lock-On (your melee weapon uses separate lock-on as well), Lock-On Window (determines the size of the screen area in which your mech can lock-on) and Max Lock-On (missile systems that fire barrages need multiple lock-ons if you want all of the missiles to home in).

Your radar itself consists of multiple components, with only the main unit, Fire Control System, being mandatory. Heads have effect on a number of radar and FCS statistics, and your two Back slots can carry radar units that massively increase your radar range, pulse interval and so on but don't improve your FCS statistics (there are a massive number of different FCS units to choose from).

However, your FCS (as well as all the non-slot aspects of the mech) can be Tuned with the pool of tuning points you've unlocked. You can have 442 tuning points at best, but there are about 2500-3000 points worth of stuff to tune.

deus101

Not true, you can turn of active radar to limit your electronic visibility.

Also can you play your weabo mecha games with a joystick?

Vaarna_Aarne

As far as I can tell, yes.

Besides, MechWarrion on joystick doesn't have shit on the controller Steel Battalion requires:

76817-noscale-23214-steel-battalion-controller.jpg

None of the buttons are for show. In fact, Steel Battalion was so hardcore you could only play it iron man. And your cockpit severely limited your view, since it usually occupied 60% of the screen (and everything you'd normally have in a HUD was located in the cockpit instead).

So basically, whether derp jet or big and lumbering, the wily Nips got MechWarrior beaten to a pulp.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Well, the environments are certainly goddamned beautiful. I'll give ti that. Looks like there's a fair amount of variety in mech designs and functionality, too. It is more of a J-style design scheme, but I can get behind that if the gameplay is solid. I would expect it to be a bit slower in the final product though, because with the way their explosions and smoke effects are moving, it seems like the video is playing at something like double speed.

deus101

Vaarna_Aarne said:
As far as I can tell, yes.

Besides, MechWarrion on joystick doesn't have shit on the controller Steel Battalion requires:

76817-noscale-23214-steel-battalion-controller.jpg

None of the buttons are for show. In fact, Steel Battalion was so hardcore you could only play it iron man. And your cockpit severely limited your view, since it usually occupied 60% of the screen (and everything you'd normally have in a HUD was located in the cockpit instead).

So basically, whether derp jet or big and lumbering, the wily Nips got MechWarrior beaten to a pulp.

If those controllers were for PC i could map a function for EVERY! button there....even on Mechwarrior 4!

Destroid

Arcane
It's for xbox so no doubt if you purchased one you could make it run on PC without much difficulty.

As aside, armoured core 4 is the only game that made me wish I had 10 fingers per hand.

Vaarna_Aarne

And that's what I liked the 4 incarnation of Armored Core series: It was absolutely awesome to curb stomp noobs that can't even see you after the firefight has started. 1000 miles per hour burst combat!

Anyway, some Jap made a compatibility program for the Steel Battalion controller years back, you can probably find it. It supported MechWarrior 4 among others, but I remember only MW4 since it was listed first.

Speaking of which, MP4 version of MechWarrior 4 might be the first MechWarrior game that manages to climb up to being passable as a mech simular, since it completely redoes the radar system (only front radar, terrain can block radar and so on), removes 100% accuracy (very necessary when a game is as sloooooow as MechWarrior is) and adds improved jump jets. Among other things. The open beta should

Tycn

Savant
Impressive. Xbox only though, what the fuck? PC users have a reason to own expensive peripherals and they would probably sell more without the $200 price tag.

Anyone played the Mechwarrior mod for Crysis? It looks extremely nice.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That picture doesn't show how thick that manual is either. Fucking awesome game.

AC4 was nice for the combat pace portion, with PA bringing back the same sort of effect heat had before, where someone could blast the fuck out of you and you'd try to evade until you can recover. And laserblades were actually deadly again, albeit for a different reason. Unfortunately, the vs arenas are still shit, as they have been since AC3. Etal Base was by far the coolest stage to fight a mech battle in. Wish I could find a video of someone fighting there. Huge area, tons of cover, huge ceiling, skyscrapers high enough to burn out your opponent's energy trying to get even altitude with you (Allowing for awesome skydive attacks by recovering on top of the building then jumping down.) I seriously hope the stage design for the next AC doesn't suck like it has for so many years.

Destroid

Arcane
I seriously hope they implement a UI that's not completely retarded for split screen multiplayer. In AC4 to make a design you had to go back to single player and use only components you have purchased in the design of a mech, save them then load them up in multiplayer, fucking retarded and takes about twice as long as it should.

Has anyone played that mod for Mech3 or 4 that allowed you to have dozens of players in a game? I can't remember what it was called but saw some videos that looked pretty interesting.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
:x The most retarded thing in AC4 had to be the fucking rendered 2D images of your AC used as a backdrop taking forever to load. Literally any time you wanted to switch to a different mech or tweak something between missions or whatever, it'd take like 5-10 seconds just to load that retarded fucknig image. It looks cool, but it's not worth that much time when I'm trying to tweak stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom