Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Black

Arcane
VGDPU4W.jpg

:popcorn:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ards-Compatibility-Prank-Is-Bricking-Consoles

Wanna try it, HHR?
:popcornpoppoppop:

Last edited:

xilo3z

Educated
The WII U can run a tech from 2000 at 60fps. All hail nintendo!

Nintendo understands that consoles in no way can ever compete with PC gaming in terms of graphical fidelity, realizes its a total loss maker in terms of development to even attempt it, and in turn devotes itself to new and innovating ideas and experiences. All hail Nintendo indeed - they understand what a "console" is meant for.

VGDPU4W.jpg

Don't worry consoletards. I'm sure once the devs have a few years to work with the tech and optimize the games we'll see the XBone be able to get 15 FPS, maybe even 20 FPS.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Nintendo understands that consoles in no way can ever compete with PC gaming in terms of graphical fidelity, realizes its a total loss maker in terms of development to even attempt it, and in turn devotes itself to new and innovating ideas and experiences. All hail Nintendo indeed - they understand what a "console" is meant for.
Mario rehash part 59878 is innovating now?

xilo3z

Educated

Mario rehash part 59878 is innovating now?

No, not talking about games. J_C was specifically taking a shot at the hardware. I appreciate that Nintendo thinks out side of the box when deciding on hardware because they admit no console can compete with PC gaming at the rate it develops, so its a total loss maker. Call it gimmicky, stupid, whatever, but Nintendo understands the point of a console isn't supposed to be a super computer. And as pointed above - somehow they have the talent to do these rehashes and make them good.

*edit*The criticisms for the constant rehashing are perfectly fine and one reason I think Nintendo is in 3rd right now, but people mainly just constantly take shots at their hardware. Meh, I appreciate Nintendo doesn't just put a shitty computer in a tiny case and call it a day. This time they pair it with a tablet and give a bunch of crazy features and ideas. It is different, it is outside the box, and its not just a small non "dangerous" forward progression we see with the Bone and PS4. It is a shame they don't do this with their gaming development. I know, hand in my 'RPGcodex man card', but fuck it- Nintendo knows the place of a console and its purpose. Throw em a fucking bone. A pat on the head

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I wouldn't describe Nintendo's hardware gimmicks as innovative. They're just that - gimmicks, meant to take advantage of the ignorant casual market. They worked to tremendous success with the Wii... and then backfired spectacularly with its successor, the Wii U.

And at any rate, the fact is that for a while now, graphics have - paradoxically - been much more of a selling point for console gamers than they are for PC games. Games with medicore and shallow gameplay but top-tier visuals (by console standards, that is) have been hugely succesful (the Uncharted series comes to mind).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nintendo can prioritize 60fps over visuals because of their audience. Ubisoft, right or wrong, believe Assassin's Creed would sell less at a higher framerate with less detail. Considering a main appeal of that series is walking around cool historical cities, I'm not sure they're wrong.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Say what you want about Nintendo, but at least they make games, and not interactive B-grade movies or walking simulators like Sony's exclusives.

xilo3z

Educated
True, perhaps "innovative" is too much of a strong word. "Different" is probably more in line. I shy from gimmick as of now as the tablet DOES look like it could have some neat features. Yes graphics have been a selling point for console gamers hence why I like that Nintendo said "fuck it" to that. As a PC gamer, I like my serious, bleeding edge games on PC and my stupid "Ah cool, my brother is in town visiting, let's have some stupid fun" games on my console. Hence why I think (I do not have a Wii U) the Nintendo train of thought works better for me and more in line with what my expectations of what a console should do - provide stupid fun with the occasional serious game. Plus no mountain dew and durritos from Nintendo, so that is plus, right?

Dexter

Arcane

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...rget-as-sony-microsoft-sales-dwarf-wii-u.html
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/12/wii-u-sales/all/

Nintendo Co. (7974)’s prospects for meeting its profit and sales forecasts for this year are diminishing after Sony Corp. (6758) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) each sold more game consoles in 24 hours than the Wii U maker did in nine months.

[...]

Those moves may not be enough to make up lost ground, as the company sold just 460,000 Wii U machines in the six months ended Sept. 30, about 5 percent of its target for the fiscal year. Nintendo reported a net loss of 8 billion yen in the quarter ended Sept. 30, saying Wii U hardware “still has a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits.”

“Wii U has become a game console only for Nintendo fans,” Eiji Maeda, an analyst at SMBC Nikko Securities Inc. in Tokyo, said by phone. “Wii U needs groundbreaking software to draw casual and hardcore gamers.”

http://alwaysnintendo.com/super-mario-3d-world-worst-opening-sales-week-3d-mario-games/
3d-stats.png

nljIHxM.png

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Nintendo: Doomed every week since at least 1983.

I've seen some early estimates that say the 3DS outsold the PS4 and Xbone on Black Friday week, but I'm waiting for something from a reliable source before I use that to laugh at the latest "analyst" (when have they ever been right?) to have no clue.

Black

Arcane
Nintendo: Doomed every week since at least 19xx.
So they even got something in common with PC.
So why can't ps4 run knack, which looks worse than the new mario, at constant 60fps?
Oh, must be that devilish enemy AI, right?

Mario 3D World is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. Despite being Mario game #303425, every level feels fresh and inspired compared to the samey one-button AAA content tours that pass for games these days. It distills everything good and fun about all the Mario games into a pure gameplay experience, and it's co-op to boot. If only more games would pay tribute to the games that came before it in such a way. I long for a Contra or Metroid game that lives up to its legacy the way the new Mario or Zelda game does.

But when I talk gaming to co-workers in their early twenties, who are really only a scant few years younger than me, it's pretty clear that times have changed. They seem mostly wrapped up in their 20 flavors of dude-bro shooters, not even caring about backwards compatibility because they'll never replay anything older than the current gen. This is what I equate to 'the masses' in my mind, and its an audience that Nintendo can never hope to recapture.

*shrug* I love Nintendo. There's no game company I want more to succeed more than them. For all their faults, they're the only one of the big three that still has a soul.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mario 3D World is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. Despite being Mario game #303425, every level feels fresh and inspired compared to the samey one-button AAA content tours that pass for games these days. It distills everything good and fun about all the Mario games into a pure gameplay experience, and it's co-op to boot. If only more games would pay tribute to the games that came before it in such a way. I long for a Contra or Metroid game that lives up to its legacy the way the new Mario or Zelda game does.

I'm sure it's a fun game but this "wow so amazing" mantra every time Nintendo releases more regurgitated nostalgia is obviously wearing thin. Every journalist and Nintendo fanboy praises their excrement like it's the best smelling thing ever but I don't think the gaming public is buying it anymore, looking at sales numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom