Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Modron

Arcane
He was working on another game before putting it aside to do another midnight scenes episode and some work on that rpglite thing. Perhaps we'll have more news on it soon.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
His characters are shit, one-pixel legs? Get out of here!

OctaviNavarro could still have done a better job than the shit that we saw on the trailer, even if he can't draw legs lol.

But forget about OctaviNavarro, they have the pixel wizard Mark Ferrari on their disposal and they hired a honk honk hipster artist...They are either out of their minds or Lucasfilm won't let them make it as it should be.

We're talking about MI3 here, this is a comeback that requires pixel wizards and not amateurs or hipsters.

Imagine a MI3 with Mark's magic on it.

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

(Island Fires - Dusk is pure incline)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But forget about OctaviNavarro, they have the pixel wizard Mark Ferrari on their disposal and they hired a honk honk hipster artist...They are either out of their minds or Lucasfilm won't let them make it as it should be.

Yeah, what's wrong with this. I think Thimbleweed Park looks glorious.

ThimbleweedPark-Ransome-Shock.png

thimbleweed-park2.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the reasons Thimbleweed Park didn't disappoint is that it didn't try anything stupid with its art. Just pure, oldschool pixel art rather than a hipstery modern cartoon style.

Other than the stupid meta ending nobody liked, it was exactly what was promised and what people expected. Early 90s style point & click with no bullshit.
Meanwhile Schafer's Broken Age which made shitloads of money on Kickstarter based on the promise of bringing back point and click adventures disappointed everyone.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm torn on this one. The idea of a new Monkey Island made me smile, but I also wish that sometimes dead things of the past would just stay dead.

So, be honest with me, is there any reason to be excited about this other than nostalgia?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm torn on this one. The idea of a new Monkey Island made me smile, but I also wish that sometimes dead things of the past would just stay dead.

So, be honest with me, is there any reason to be excited about this other than nostalgia?

I think the main reason for cautious optimism, rather than outright excitement, is that Gilbert still appears to be a good writer.

As long as he is calling the shots, I think this has a chance of being decent.

tomekumb

Novice

Because Monkey Island is great series. We have many sequels in other series and we have TV series. There are not many good comedy adventure games in the market. Personally I am sick of dark and gritty mood in today's pop culture and I am longing for more comedy games, movies and books.

Because Monkey Island is great series. We have many sequels in other series and we have TV series. There are not many good comedy adventure games in the market. Personally I am sick of dark and gritty mood in today's pop culture and I am longing for more comedy games, movies and books.
Comedy is very hard to do well, and in today's society where feeling offended is seen as a major virtue worthy of immediate compensation, it's almost impossible.

There's almost no way a new MI will turn out very good.

Keshik

Arcane
Even trying to account of extreme over sensitivity I can't really recall any jokes in any of the MIs that'd be offensive, granted my memory may be hazy.

Even trying to account of extreme over sensitivity I can't really recall any jokes in any of the MIs that'd be offensive, granted my memory may be hazy.
It's not about whether some past joke would be censored if it came out today, it's about people self-censoring preemptively, which kills all creative drive and makes for unfunny material. This is especially true of wokies - and Ron Gilbert is one, by all accounts.

But even then, there are plenty of gags in past MIs that would not clear the stasi bar today. Look no further than the swordfighting insults of the first game.

"I once owned a dog that was smarter than you." OH NO ABLEISM
"Have you stopped wearing diapers yet?" OH NO PREJUDICE AGAINST THOSE WHO IDENTIFY AS LITTLE PEOPLE
"I've heard you were a contemptible sneak." OH NO PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE WHO STEAL FOOD FOR A LIVING
"I've spoken with apes more polite than you." MUH RACISM
"You're no match for my brains, you poor fool." ANY REFERENCE OF IQ IS WHITE SUPREMACY
"I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion." TRIGGER WARNING! PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE FROM BROKEN HOMES
"How appropriate. You fight like a cow." MISOGINY!
"So you got that job as janitor, after all." RACISM AGAINST JANITORS

And so on and so forth. How can you not see this?

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's not about whether some past joke would be censored if it came out today, it's about people self-censoring preemptively, which kills all creative drive and makes for unfunny material. This is especially true of wokies - and Ron Gilbert is one, by all accounts.

But even then, there are plenty of gags in past MIs that would not clear the stasi bar today. Look no further than the swordfighting insults of the first game.

"I once owned a dog that was smarter then you." OH NO ABLEISM
"Have you stopped wearing diapers yet?" OH NO PREJUDICE AGAINST THOSE WHO IDENTIFY AS LITTLE PEOPLE
"I've heard you were a contemptible sneak." OH NO PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE WHO STEAL FOOD FOR A LIVING
"I've spoken with apes more polite then you." MUH RACISM
"You're no match for my brains, you poor fool." ANY REFERENCE OF IQ IS WHITE SUPREMACY
"I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion." TRIGGER WARNING! PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE FROM BROKEN HOMES

I think you've just conjured up a strawman to be offended at

Falksi

Arcane

"I once owned a dog that was smarter than you." OH NO ABLEISM
"I've spoken with apes more polite then you." MUH RACISM

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey"

Nuff said.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom