Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey vs the Grognards Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those crazy mods exist for all those games though????

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey I'm pretty sure it was mostly just a "right place in the right time" thing.

Also, I think people found the whole snowy northern atmosphere captivating. Kinda like how more people than you'd expect are inordinately fond of Icewind Dale?

Seaking4

Learned
Well Bethesda's popularity continued to grow (Fallout 3 brought a whole new audience of people that wouldn't have played an Elder Scrolls game) so naturally they sold more copies and the initial reaction to Skyrim was overwhelmingly positive. I suppose you could also say that Skyrim had an extensive modding scene which helped extend the life of the game but I'm quite sure Oblivion had that as well.

Anyways, that would be my guess but I can't say I've looked into this at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Apparently all you need to do to sell 20 mil is a big open world, enough but not too much character customization, and a radiant quest system to provide technically-unlimited gameplay.

Should be interesting to see how DAI does by comparison. Witcher 3 too I guess, but it's kinda hampered by forcing you to play as Geralt.

Delterius

Arcane
Doesn't make it a good game, let alone an RPG. I have a lot of hours in that game, it's a time waster, like an mmo. It's really easy to jump into, but doesn't leave a lasting impression.(Isn't very replayable, and doesn't have a definite end) Also he's right in the Oblivion comparison, but you could also take that as an insult for what is a truly awful game.

There has to be something more here to explain why it sold so many more millions over Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, and I'm going to try to find it.
Given most people dint even play games these days I would think marketing.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There has to be something more here to explain why it sold so many more millions over Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, and I'm going to try to find it.

It's really quite simple:

Primary: Marketing. They invested in this significantly.
Secondary: a "deep" game wrapped up in "accessible" design that intentionally appeals to a wide variety of demographics.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Secondary: a "deep" game wrapped up in "accessible" design that intentionally appeals to a wide variety of demographics.

All those games were marketed by the same company (and all but one made by as well). :P

And people definitely played/play Skyrim. This thing was $60 for over a year. It didn't go down in price because people kept buying new copies in sufficient amounts because nobody sold it to Gamestop because they were too busy playing it or holding on to it to play it later. http://steamcharts.com/ will show you that Skyrim is the 4th most played game at this moment and over 20 million hours have been played by all those people since release, which is pretty damn impressive for a single player game. Anything that exceeds or comes close to that is multiplayer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

All those games were marketed by the same company (and all but one made by as well). :P

And people definitely played/play Skyrim. This thing was $60 for over a year. It didn't go down in price because people kept buying new copies in sufficient amounts because nobody sold it to Gamestop because they were too busy playing it or holding on to it to play it later. http://steamcharts.com/ will show you that Skyrim is the 4th most played game at this moment and over 20 million hours have been played by all those people since release, which is pretty damn impressive for a single player game. Anything that exceeds or comes close to that is multiplayer.

While other developers derped around with popamole trend-chasing, Bethesda simply built their reputation for open world "see that mountain, you can climb it" RPGs, year after year, title after title. When you do that, then after a while, the message gets out that your games are THE way to get a particular sort of experience, and voila, you now own a niche.

Same thing happened with Call of Duty. It wasn't a 30 million units seller at first either.

(Bioware owns a niche too, but it's a niche that isn't as large)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

And? Each game is case by case, with growth came the opportunity to invest more into the next project.

"Skyrim Marketing and Development budget = 85 million dallars"

I speculate that New Vegas' budget was approximately 20 mil.

It's no longer about the passion to make good games, it's all about business. It's saddening that quality is rare these days but the stakes are very high when so much money is invested that I cannot blame studios for playing it safe.
Won't stop me calling them fucking small dick sell-outs though.

That is why it is up to insane modders and smaller dev teams who keep the spirit alive, though even amongst these groups there are few that actually do just that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was likely higher than that.

http://gamestar.ru/english/1925.html
Chris Avellone said:
from at least one of our most recent RPGs, the marketing outstripped the cost of developing the project several times over.

Granted, Urquhart did say it costs less to make a sandbox slam dunk than you'd think, but it was still probably more than 10 million.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
While other developers derped around with popamole trend-chasing, Bethesda simply built their reputation for open world "see that mountain, you can climb it" RPGs, year after year, title after title. When you do that, then after a while, the message gets out that your games are THE way to get a particular sort of experience, and voila, you now own a niche.

Same thing happened with Call of Duty. It wasn't a 30 million units seller at first either.

(Bioware owns a niche too, but it's a niche that isn't as large)

Indeed, but they first built that reputation on passion-driven design that made little compromise (Morrowind et al). Since then instead of upping the overall quality they slowly popamolified the franchise each iteration.
Morrowind incline x3 would have been glorious.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Anyway, New Vegas was incline. I'm thankful for that. One of few games of that shitty generation of games I have love for.

RandomAccount

Marketing is... everything:

1 - The most famous of them all, so much so that such gaffes are now known as "doing a Ratner".

Gerald Ratner wiped £500 million from the value of Ratners jewellers with one speech in 1991.

He said: "We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, 'How can you sell this for such a low price?' I say, because it's total crap."

news-graphics-2007-_654714a.jpg

He added that his stores' earrings were "cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn't last as long".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 - Asked in an interview in 2001 to clarify the target market for the Topman clothing chain, the firm's brand director, David Shepherd, replied: "Hooligans or whatever."

He went on: "Very few of our customers have to wear suits for work. They'll be for his first interview or first court case."

The company later suggested that the word "hooligan" would not be seen as an insult among its customers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1573380/Doing-a-Ratner-and-other-famous-gaffes.html

RandomAccount

Uh-oh, it's spotted me...

Laters guys... another night one day... maybe...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some people sure are insistent on insulting their patrons. :P

Duraframe300

Arcane
It was likely higher than that.

http://gamestar.ru/english/1925.html
Chris Avellone said:
from at least one of our most recent RPGs, the marketing outstripped the cost of developing the project several times over.

Granted, Urquhart did say it costs less to make a sandbox slam dunk than you'd think, but it was still probably more than 10 million.

I think Chris was refering to Dungeon Siege III there actually.

Delterius

Arcane
Those numbers are quite interesting, thanks.

Amazingly, considerably smaller playerbases aren't that far behind Skyrim when it comes to total playtime. Games with 10 times less concurrent players have something like half the total amount of playtime. And that's considering some of those games should have many times less potential players that Skyrim supposedly should have.

Overall, I still think both our guesses can be right. A heavy marketing campaign can make the most of a game which combines Skyrim's apparently huge open world with little characterization, creating the illusion of a sprawling ocean that only reveals itself to be as deep as a pond once you are a few dozens of hours in -- a game quickly goes viral when your first impression of it is glowing and you start recommend it to everyone you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom