Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by Decado

Mortmal

Arcane
It's 8% now, anyway.

8%completion for poe yes, I got the achievement too. Blackguard 2 has 19.5% if I take the "Marwan place awaits" achievement wich is pretty much the end, however its amongst the only few people who bough it, the most masochistic dedicated hardcore fans .Blackguard a better game has 7.5% end game achievement(but it was impossible to get at release) , divinity original sin 5.8% end game achievement . So i'd be tempted to say the longer the game the less completion it has no matter the quality.

But no, its wrong ! When you have both quality content and length , it gets as high as 25.8% on the latest achievement like for.. skyrim. Another evidence why is Bethesda the most loved developer here and why it generates so many megathreads.

Turok

Erudite
Thats happen because after play POE what will you play? there is anything recently out there remotely near to this kind of game? no, people are playing it slowly... same happen with Divinity Original sin

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Most games get boring near the end and as most have really shitty storylines there is no reason to soldier through just to see the ending of what is shlock. I'm not surprised PoE got boring in the end, I was suprised that happened as soon as I got to Defiance Bay and realized most side quests were MMO level filler and the main storyline is as interesting as watching paint dry.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most games get boring near the end and as most have really shitty storylines there is no reason to soldier through just to see the ending of what is shlock. I'm not surprised PoE got boring in the end, I was suprised that happened as soon as I got to Defiance Bay and realized most side quests were MMO level filler and the main storyline is as interesting as watching paint dry.

Depends on the game really. As I argued before, in my opinion you can separate RPGs in three main categories, those which focus on combat, exploration or storytelling. While there are games that try to be good at everything some want to focus on just one thing. If they manage to make that one element great those games can be remarkable even if other parts of it are poor.

People play and enjoy Morrowind not for combat or story but great exploration, to see just what kind of secrets are beyond that hill and to have the freedom to do what they want.

Planescape Torment is considered one of the best games of all time due its storytelling not its combat system, people finish it to see the conclusion of the story despite horrible combat.

Diablo is all about combat, feeling sense of your character progression as you defeat powerful enemies and find interesting loot.

Baldurs Gate 2 is a game that has great combat due interesting abilities, enemies and enemy encounters, useful and diverse loot, well written story and well designed world where a unremarkable door in middle of a city can lead you to either empty room or to one of the most powerful enemies in the game.

PoE fails at all fronts. It has poor combat that feels unchallenging and unrewarding, exploration that only lets you find pretty environments and a mediocre and bland story that didnt provide any incentive to see it to the end.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Depends on the game really. As I argued before, in my opinion you can separate RPGs in three main categories, those which focus on combat, exploration or storytelling. While there are games that try to be good at everything some want to focus on just one thing. If they manage to make that one element great those games can be remarkable even if other parts of it are poor.

People play and enjoy Morrowind not for combat or story but great exploration, to see just what kind of secrets are beyond that hill and to have the freedom to do what they want.

Planescape Torment is considered one of the best games of all time due its storytelling not its combat system, people finish it to see the conclusion of the story despite horrible combat.

Diablo is all about combat, feeling sense of your character progression as you defeat powerful enemies and find interesting loot.

Baldurs Gate 2 is a game that has great combat due interesting abilities, enemies and enemy encounters, useful and diverse loot, well written story and well designed world where a unremarkable door in middle of a city can lead you to either empty room or to one of the most powerful enemies in the game.

PoE fails at all fronts. It has poor combat that feels unchallenging and unrewarding, exploration that only lets you find pretty environments and a mediocre and bland story that didnt provide any incentive to see it to the end.
There is also the trying different builds for fun factor, but nowadays is exceedingly rare.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats happen because after play POE what will you play? there is anything recently out there remotely near to this kind of game? no People are playing it slowly... same happen with Divinity Original sin

After poe , try Sits theres a demo on their site http://serpentinthestaglands.com/demo.php . Then dead state if you havent yet.

I don't think people are playing it slowly, know a few who were excited, get bored and never finish it.For those who finished it while it was not an horrible game , it was certainly a let down.
As for Divos I think the low completion rate is because it sold a lot and to people who never tried the genre . When you look at it it has cool graphics that attracts the eye like a blizzard game would . It was on top steam list for a long time , its snowballed, people who never tried a turn based rpg bought it . I bet its too hard to finish for most mainstream gamers.
While skyrim its piss easy , so 25% completion.

Shevek

Arcane
After a brief diversion with SitS (fun game but I will wait for it to be patched a bit more), its on to playthrough number 3 of PoE. This may be the only rp game I have done a 3rd playthrough before an xpack has even been put out or a year has passed.

Mortmal
I didnt complete DOS because the writing was shit and that first town is absolute garbage. I made a choice to wait until they put out their "this time it wont suck" edition. Hopefully, it wont be too consolized.

Eyestabber
3.5E character building is metagamey shit. NWN2 only gets remotely interesting if you install Kaedrin's PRC pack to go FULL munchkin.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Shevek

Kaedrin's PRC is great, I even managed to make my own power build around the Hexblade class. MOTB campaign was full of lolz. "Are things going to die any faster if I drop this feat and take this one instead?" <--- FUN!

Also, this:

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Deathsong_-_Brd(15),RDD(10),BG(4),PM(1)

My very own power build on the wikia. Facerapes everything that can't into dispelling buffs. Get your buffs dispelled and cry. Simple and fun.

Shevek

Arcane
The characters are all caricatures. The quests are all stale. The tongue in cheek writing and hackneyed plot leave much to be desired.

I played for a few hours and had to set it aside. I sincerely hope they address this in their GOTY redo since I hear the combat is decent.

Drowed

Arcane
The characters are all caricatures. The quests are all stale. The tongue in cheek writing and hackneyed plot leave much to be desired.

I played for a few hours and had to set it aside. I sincerely hope they address this in their GOTY redo since I hear the combat is decent.

Not going to happen. At least, not in a format that you'll like. The characters are caricatures, but this isn't necessarily a defect. If it is for you, then this 'defect' will continue, because it's present in every game made by Larian. I don't know what you mean when you say that the quests are "stale", but well, this is the style of quests they do (I would rather rate it as "generic") - as well as their style of dialogue, tongue in cheek, simple-minded comedy. If you don't like it now, you won't ever like it.

Turok

Erudite
Because the fucking game is for kids or those who still have a kids mind for games...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Because the fucking game is for kids or those who still have a kids mind for games...
Wot? If you are talking about PoE, I agree with you but if you are talking about D:OS then you must know some :obviously: kids that like and understand turn based games.

Drowed

Arcane
I would say Larian is to RPGs what is Kung Fury for action movies.

It's "kinda" terrible in an amusing way.

Ulrox

Arbiter
People who dislike Divinity are obviously storyfaqs and people who love it are combatfaqs. Similarily, people who dislike PoE are combatfaqs because the combat is the low point and people who like it are storyfaqs.

I myself am firmly in the combatfaq group, so I had some issues with Poe, but love Divinity to death.

MasPingon

Arcane
if you want to say that the difficulty settings are a personal snowflake opinion because my mum would lose the first fight on Easy, you should be writing this for my mum's favourite woman's magazine. Sounds similar to putting a tutorial for using WASD in Call of Duty 15 because it might be too hard for the newcomers and if you disagree you're just waving your dick.

This is why I don't talk to fanatics. It is impossible for you to approach the topic without hyperbole and/or losing your shit. Comparing the complexity of a combat system to movement keys is the over-simplified argument of a retarded six year old.

Decado, Decado, what a prick. This review is so cheap I can't actually believe it's now official. It's basically an example of bad writing, without proper argumentation but failed logic. It almost looks like an advertisement or apology "sorry for a criticism Obsidian, can we be friends again? So Grunker and Jeasun could take some pictures with you in your HQ and post it here again? They have felt so important, you know?". The irony is - we always laughed at this kind of journalism here. I'd call it Decado's distasteful attempt of being an artistic soul, not a Codex review. And pretend that nothing happened.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I for one Decado, sympathize with your review. I see that you wanted to genuinely write about *your* feelings for the game. However, I feel that you have been used as a pawn by the dorritoes that be on this website. Your review is being highlighted as the *codex* REVIEW, for the alternative does not see the game in the same light as the apparent hivemind desires. Cry in despair as you realize the real worth of your work in eyes of others.

Also, modern media does not want to hear honest heartfelt opinions as a review anymore, as it consists of spice merchants who must belabor the point home every time. Everything needs to be deliberate and artificial instead of being spontaneous.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
if you want to say that the difficulty settings are a personal snowflake opinion because my mum would lose the first fight on Easy, you should be writing this for my mum's favourite woman's magazine. Sounds similar to putting a tutorial for using WASD in Call of Duty 15 because it might be too hard for the newcomers and if you disagree you're just waving your dick.

This is why I don't talk to fanatics. It is impossible for you to approach the topic without hyperbole and/or losing your shit. Comparing the complexity of a combat system to movement keys is the over-simplified argument of a retarded six year old.

Decado, Decado, what a prick. This review is so cheap I can't actually believe it's now official. It's basically an example of bad writing, without proper argumentation but failed logic. It almost looks like an advertisement or apology "sorry for a criticism Obsidian, can we be friends again? So Grunker and Jeasun could take some pictures with you in your HQ and post it here again? They have felt so important, you know?". The irony is - we always laughed at this kind of journalism here. I'd call it Decado's distasteful attempt of being an artistic soul, not a Codex review. And pretend that nothing happened.

I get a chuckle out of posts like these.

Mustawd

I for one Decado
Also, modern media does not want to hear honest heartfelt opinions as a review anymore, as it consists of spice merchants who must belabor the point home every time. Everything needs to be deliberate and artificial instead of being spontaneous.

I see what u did there...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To avoid any future misunderstandings I think Codex banner should be changed to "doesnt scale to your level, unless we review Obsidian game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom