Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment RPGs where your character gets imprisoned & isn't immediately broken out

Codex Year of the Donut
preemptive mention of prisonscape, but the game doesn't have to be about prison

also, gothic

laclongquan

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 2, definitely. You and your team literally need to break out of the underground prison to advance.

Silent Storm Sentinel, the MC start out in a small prison. Granted, it's an amateur one basement and two floor of a villa but it's a prison~

UFO Aftershock the starting out phase acting as a tutorial, is in a prison-like area. 20-30 minutes of gameplay.

ISnt Oblivion starting out in a prison? I dunno, never play it.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
HzmZ3eY.jpg

:negative:
Go figure, the only game in the series that doesn't start out with you imprisoned is the one with meaningful sentence times.
Granted, it's not playable prison time. You just sit there looking at the screen for a bit, while it speeds through the days. But it is often enough to fail every quest in your journal at once (due to them all being on timers, bar a few), as well as rape your reputation with multiple factions (due to reputation decreasing over time). You can be imprisoned for literal hundreds of in-game days in Daggerfall if the courts find you obviously lying about being not guilty about the mass genocide you committed.

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
In Dragon Wars you can sell yourself into slavery as one of the ways to escape the first city (which is a prison itself), and your party gets shackled and sent to work in a salt mine, which you have to escape from.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There is an old CRPG where you can be sent to prison, spend a year there, and then your stats randomly decrease somewhat. But I can't remember which one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're in prison in one section of Dragon Age: Origins.

Some jrpgs do this. One of the Yakuza games has a long prison section.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
- Dungeon Rats !

If by prison you include "thrown in a dungeon where you will never EVER get out alive from :
- Ultima Underworld !
- Ultima VII Serpent Isle

Skyrim has this as part of one of the city quests.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Interesting...
Kotor 2. The Exile gets imprisoned on G0t0's yacht after an elaborate scheme on his part and an ambush. Atton and company must devise a plan to get you out of there. If you play with the Sith Lords Restored Content mod(as you should), it might take you close to an hour or two to rescue the Exile, yourself, I mean.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The entirety of Mars: War Logs's and Divinity: Original Sin 2's first acts take place in a prison/penal colony.

Once you start Chris Avellone's Dead Money and Old World Blues, you're in it for the long haul (while the same is true for Honest Hearts you're not imprisoned there).

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The best answer. Still recall a game with the 'Holy empire slave' start. Took quite a while to organize a team of slaves, knock out guards and amass weapons, and finally fight my way out, losing several guys in the process. The reward is never having the holy empire leave you alone, as soon as I tried building an outpost it was stormed by paladins with 70s in all stats. They killed half of my people and re-enslaved the rest. Felt like a fitting end to the saga.

curds

Magister
Fable.

You are imprisoned and get one a chance a year to escape by competing in a race. Each time you lose the race, another year passes and your character ages.

vazha

Arcane
Planet Alcatraz, Gorky -17, Captain Blood intro tutorial in Age of Pirates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom