Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment RPGs where your character gets imprisoned & isn't immediately broken out

zapotec

Liturgist
Blackguards 2

Hagashager

Educated
Fable and Fable II both have segments where you're imprisoned for an extended period of time.

Fable particularly has the imprisonment be up to player conpetence. You will always spend at least one year in Jack's fortress, but if you're particularly shitty there's no limit.

Fable II has you acting as a warden for Lucien's prison colony, but you may as well be a prisoner yourself. You can't leave and if you don't torture the prisoners you get tortured instead. In-universe your PC is stuck there for 10 years.

wishbonetail

Learned
Fear and Hunger.
You get imprisoned.
Then you get your limbs chopped off.
Then buttraped.
The End.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You wake up in a cell imprisoned by goblins with no memory of who you are and why you were arrested. Kultar, the prisoner in the cell next to yours, tells you, that there must be a way to leave your cell

Or this game starts in prison.

3 others

Scholar
PiratesGefaengnis.gif

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The best answer. Still recall a game with the 'Holy empire slave' start. Took quite a while to organize a team of slaves, knock out guards and amass weapons, and finally fight my way out, losing several guys in the process. The reward is never having the holy empire leave you alone, as soon as I tried building an outpost it was stormed by paladins with 70s in all stats. They killed half of my people and re-enslaved the rest. Felt like a fitting end to the saga.
Funny thing is that the slave start is pretty good. You get fed for free and you can level up all kinds of skills and get healed after being beat up. Really helps you once you break out of the slave quarry (most important skill is running fast :)).

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Not an RPG but Underhell is a masterpiece underappreciated first person shooter Half-Life 2 mod with a great prison to explore in the midst of a zombie outbreak.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Not in the beggining, but in Outward you could get imprisoned and only gets out if you want to.

Smerlus

Educated
Bastard Bonds: youre on a prison colony and the whole game is trying to escape.

Wasnt one of the classes in Risen just a way to work through a camp once you get caught doing something wrong by the inquisitors?

Humbaba

Arcane
What kind of data are you trying to collect here? Or did you just wake up one morning and said to yourself "hmmmmmm today I'm in the market for an rpg where your character gets imprisoned and isn't immediately broken out"? How does that happen? Are you alright?

Peachcurl

Cipher
What kind of data are you trying to collect here? Or did you just wake up one morning and said to yourself "hmmmmmm today I'm in the market for an rpg where your character gets imprisoned and isn't immediately broken out"? How does that happen? Are you alright?
post count goes brrrrrr

Anyways, I think "Ghost of a Tale" plays for the most part in a kind of prison.
Two Worlds II starts with a prison break. Not sure if this part takes long enough to be counted as non-immediate break out.

I guess Lands of Lore 2 is one of those examples where the "break out" is immediate (I think, even before the actual game starts).

Humbaba

Arcane
Literally any fucking dungeon crawl since Ultima Underworld fits the bill, jeez rusty, don't be such a retard next time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The best answer. Still recall a game with the 'Holy empire slave' start. Took quite a while to organize a team of slaves, knock out guards and amass weapons, and finally fight my way out, losing several guys in the process. The reward is never having the holy empire leave you alone, as soon as I tried building an outpost it was stormed by paladins with 70s in all stats. They killed half of my people and re-enslaved the rest. Felt like a fitting end to the saga.
Funny thing is that the slave start is pretty good. You get fed for free and you can level up all kinds of skills and get healed after being beat up. Really helps you once you break out of the slave quarry (most important skill is running fast :)).
Pretty good? It's the best.

Free room and board, socialized medicine, complimentary obstacle course, and gratis personal trainers until they can no longer contain you. If you bide your time and play your cards right after moseying on down that old dusty trail, those paladins will end up delivering you free equipment and supplies to thank you for patronizing their establishment.

Literally the Conan the Cimmerian start.

FriendlyMerchant

The Fable prisoner was interesting. It was always nice to listen to the Warden's poetry.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Dwarf Run.
At one point the characters get captured, stripped of all possessions, imprisoned and forced to fight in arena.
It takes a whole chapter to escape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom