Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Rumor] Bioware to get Warhammer 40k licence

Tytus

Arcane

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I remember correctly Salamanders were niggas, but after several lore changes they are now coal black with shining red eyes.
Yeah, I have a similar vague feeling as to the current fluff, but that's only good, as this way they resemble WCDS's stereotypes of Africans even better :troll:

(Also I'd say that DA being Native Americans is also no longer canon, but who gives a damn, what's valid one edition is retconned in the next rules revision and vice versa. It all depends on what pleases the Mighty Ward)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is there anything in the lore that says space marines actually have to be male?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Hey, hey, hey!

Bioware will make this work guys. And it will even fit the lore!!

women are equal to men so

self-righteousness.gif

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

I think its for practical purposes. You want a military power that uses genetics to create a super-soldier, you use the most physically powerful sex of the two available, a man. Pump them with steroids, splice in some whacky new organs to secrete enzymes to do stuff, mental conditioning and outright brainwashing as well as chemical castration to provide you with a soldier loyal and capable of performing duties without (hopefully) being tempted to digress. Female frame would be an inferior starting block due to less physical mass to enhance with steroids and freakish gene organs, still that hasnt stopped the Ork from spreading around the universe.

My knowledge of WH40k is rudimentary and very shallow, one of the experts will be along shortly to call heresy on my post and correct you on the finer points of the beefed up men only club of space marines.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

I think its for practical purposes. You want a military power that uses genetics to create a super-soldier, you use the most physically powerful sex of the two available, a man. Pump them with steroids, splice in some whacky new organs to secrete enzymes to do stuff, mental conditioning and outright brainwashing as well as chemical castration to provide you with a soldier loyal and capable of performing duties without (hopefully) being tempted to digress. Female frame would be an inferior starting block due to less physical mass to enhance with steroids and freakish gene organs, still that hasnt stopped the Ork from spreading around the universe.

My knowledge of WH40k is rudimentary and very shallow, one of the experts will be along shortly to call heresy on my post and correct you on the finer points of the beefed up men only club of space marines.
In warhammer 40k orks don't breed... there is no female orks, orks sweat, in their sweat are little eggs that grow into orks.... *sighs deeply* I can't believe I used to know all this shit

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In warhammer 40k orks don't breed... there is no female orks, orks sweat, in their sweat are little eggs that grow into orks.... *sighs deeply* I can't believe I used to know all this shit
In short, Orks are bioengineered genderless plant/animal hybrids with ancestral memory who reproduce via spores (which they release constantly, but the largest amount is released upon death, making it difficult to rid a world of them once they make planetfall - the green bastards just return a few years later, feral). At large numbers they also create a rudimentary psychic hive mind, that makes things the Orks believe real to some extent.

Fuck, I can't believe I know all this shit.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Knew I should have added the troll pic after that statement, but thanks for correcting me, the limit of my knowledge was that Ork are like a fungal growth hitching rides on asteroids.

Kirtai

Augur
It's pretty ironic that, according to some research I read about many years ago, if power armour ever becomes practical it's vastly better suited to women than men and that the best power armour troops would be petite, slender women.

It amuses me that power armour may wind up being considered "girly"

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
A
In short, Orks are bioengineered genderless plant/animal hybrids with ancestral memory who reproduce via spores (which they release constantly, but the largest amount is released upon death, making it difficult to rid a world of them once they make planetfall - the green bastards just return a few years later, feral). At large numbers they also create a rudimentary psychic hive mind, that makes things the Orks believe real to some extent.

Also I believe they don't die of old age, they just grow bigger and stronger at a constant rate, thus compounding the difficulty in killing them all. Mind you what I always did find rather amusing about all the 40K lore books is that every race except the space marines and imperial legion was described as the greatest threat to humanity. Tyrranids - hive mind insects with unlimited number and god like overmind, orks - like cockroaches except big, angry and green, necrons - ancient evil gods + immortal advanced technology, so on and so forth, even the g dammed dark eldar who are basically fuckin pirates are described as being so crafty and what not that they might just destroy the universe with soul magic or whatever it is that they steal from people. :kfc:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
*sighs deeply* I can't believe I used to know all this shit
I'm angry that I understood all that shit

I used to do that (had a lapse of judgement and resubbed my SP a few years back, only lasted a couple of months thank god) watching my pretty numbers rise on the DPS meter from stacked dots and mind flay pulling aggro from a pally tank (would also do that derpy AoE channeled ability for MOAR AGGRO after tab-dotting the room), had to use Dispersion and float over to him whenever something broke ranks so he could attempt to reclaim his job, id often be allowed to stand away from everyone else. Making the tanks job hell was something I enjoyed, would also pull stupid aggro when healing in Aion, im just a bad /derail

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wymyn Spashe Mahrines?! Heresy! BLAM!

Wymyn genom lacks genetical compability with crucial Gene seed The Black Carpace:

Space_marine_black_carapace_by_the_first_magelord-d4be8o4.jpg

The Black Carapace, also known as the Interface, is the last and one of the most important of all the 19 gene-seed organ implants a Space Marine Neophyte will receive as he is transformed from a normal, adolescent human male into a superhuman Astartes. This neuroreactive, black organic fibrous material is implanted directly under the skin of the Neophyte's torso. Points are then cut through the Carapace by an Apothecary using surgical tools that allow a Space Marine to directly interface his central nervous system with his Power Armour's cybernetic systems. After a few hours, the material hardens and invasive synthetic fiber bundles that will serve as connection points for neurons grow inward and interlink with the newborn Astartes' central nervous system. Note that a Space Marine needs the Black Carapace to use his Power Armour to its maximum capabilities, but the armour itself does not need this implant in order to function. The Sisters of Battle, for example, as well as some Inquisitors, also wear Power Armour. However, since their central nervous systems are not linked directly to their armour's Machine Spirit as a Space Marine would be, their Power Armour is markedly less efficient at providing protection or allowing them to maneuver in combat than that of an Astartes.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Carapace

Emperor was :obviously: not impressed with XX century. +M

Also:

Salamanders - The Melanochrome has mutated and no longer functions properly, producing onyx black skin and blazing red eyes in every Salamanders Astartes.

So Salamanders are no Negroes.

Borelli

Arcane
I think that some lore in some edition states than space marine implants are only compatible with males because they have higher levels of testosterone.
I can't believe i don't know this shit as good as others in this thread.:(

lightbane

Arcane
The short answer is that SPHEES MAHRINES must be male 'cause they use DNA from the EMPRAH, who was a guy. It wouldn't be compatible for women for that reason (not that it would stop Bioware, of course).

evdk

Patron
I think that some lore in some edition states than space marine implants are only compatible with males because they have higher levels of testosterone.
I can't believe i don't know this shit as good as others in this thread.:(
The best argument against female space marines is as follows:
To become a Space Marine you have to not only have all the gene seed enhancements but also have to be a Battle Brother in one of the Chapters. So even if you somehow mysteriously get your hands on the technology necessary to create super soldiers and successfully create female ones (it should be noted that previous Adeptus Mechanicus attempts at recreating Primarchs ended in Chaos eating everyone) you will only create a super human not sanctioned by the Godemprah's will and not a Space Marine. And we all know how flexible the Imperium is and how much it likes new things. So no female Space Marines, even if it were possible to make them.

Borelli

Arcane
Wait i just remembered that Imperial Guard has no problem conscripting females alongside males to throw in the grinder. Why then all the fuss about SM? Not to mention Eldar of both flavors but then fantasy elves have always had female warriors.

evdk

Patron
Wait i just remembered that Imperial Guard has no problem conscripting females alongside males to throw in the grinder. Why then all the fuss about SM? Not to mention Eldar of both flavors but then fantasy elves have always had female warriors.
Tradition and dogma. Seriously, the Blessed Astartes have been created by the God Emperor himself, using the genetic information from his own sons. He made no female Space Marines, so obviously any female superhumans are HERESY.
Also you keep forgetting that W40k is retarded. ;)

circ

Arcane
There's always SoB. They don't have the extra organs SM do, but they wear power armor and receive similar training, down to the brainwashing. The adeptus chapters I think have more females than any other branches. I don't remember IG females at all for example.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Plus space marines are sterile and asexual on purpose... so there'be really no point on making females

:kingcomrade:

:WH40K:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom