Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Regarding the Review, its from RPS.
I don't expect much meaningful insight from those guys.

Regarding the "when it will be available to play" stuff.

ASSFUCKINGKURWASHITCRAP
Who ever had the bright idea to make the game available to play that late in the day (almost 8 fucking hours to wait) should be send to the gallows.
Degenerated piece of time stealing shit.

:x:mob:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Who ever had the bright idea to make the game available to play that late in the day (almost 8 fucking hours to wait) should be send to the gallows.
It's when the Steam servers update. And steam is megafuckhueg, so it is what is convenient.

I really dislike it too. Getting to start download at 7 in the evening means you barely have time to play the game on release.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
:lol:
Jesus you motherfuckers are retarded. Read one post and fuck off. Nice way to go about things. I said that the game didn't updated for whatever reason. After reinstalling it's just fucking boring.

GarfunkeL Explain to me oh retarded one. How do I avoid the initial crirs without quickloading? Or how do you drop the troll which requires 3 or 4 turns of focusing before he hits you and knocks you out of cover or outright stuns you?

Even after updating the game is riddled with fucking bugs, or shit that isn't explained. Been playing with a melee guy primarily using the -AP attack and I can't figure out if the game is broken or if it's supposed to work the way it does. When you hit a person in cover it shows you -2ap but it doesn't actually work. So either cover blocks ap damage and that's a visual bug or it's just a bug, when you crit they received all ap damage. Again either a bug or crits bypass cover defense, fine. But why the fuck when you attack enemies before they have a turn 2AP damage does nothing to them. It would be nice if cover was explained in their shitty little in game faq, but fuck it, the fans eat their shit anyway I suppose.

I have no fucking idea why you motherfuckers hold these people in high regard. When you look at their steam page one of their most active subforums is the bug reports. It's August 2015, almost a year after release and people are still consistently finding bugs. But no, they know what they're doing.
Since you asked so kindly...

1) Open the door. If you're really unlucky, the turret crits you in that one freebie shot that it gets. I think the maximum amount it can do is 24 damage. Even if you have Body 3, you will survive. Move your PC away from the doorway.
2) Use Dietrich to buff Blitz with haste.
3) Blitz runs inside, blows up the turret with the control panel.
4) Glory can use a Medikit to heal your PC - she starts the mission with 3, you should have at least 1 left at this point.
5) Keep everyone out of the room, end turn.

Turn 2 - the troll doesn't activate without seeing a runner.

1) Move everyone inside the room, behind the crates. Use overwatch if possible.
2) End turn.

Turn 3 - troll emerges. Your overwatch, if any, might tickle him.

1) Have Dietrich buff both Eiger and Glory with Aim.
2) Blitz haste should still be on, use him to shoot twice.
3) Eiger uses shotgun at kneecaps and a regular shot.
4) Glory activates boost and spends her aimed shot.
5) Your PC does whatever it can - prioritize attacks that cause AP damage to the troll.

Turn 4 - troll is hurt but will maul one of your characters but should not kill anyone.

1) Have Dietrich buff Glory with haste.
2) Eiger shoots shotgun first before anyone goes to melee.
3) Blitz uses full auto.
4) Glory now has 4 AP and Aim on, she should hit with 3 attacks if not all 4.
5) PC finishes troll off.

Alternatively, you can have Dietrich use his spirit token and have the spirit absorb the damage from the troll. Second alternative is to use Eiger to snipe the turret from the hallway after you open the door.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get it. The game comes out in about 7 hours. What do you want to do, play it at work?

Alfons

Prophet
Problem is that the little fuckerbot crits you for another 20-27. And didn't someone tell you blitz can't disable the turret? Unless you go heavy on body or get lucky it's easy for the PC to lose 90% of HP before you even get a turn. Anyway here's a better tactic: Whatever happens, get your guys into the hallway. that way you only need to contend with the little bot and the troll. This encounter is at least one quick load since if blitz makes a b-line towards the controls he gets surprise closet trolled. The turret is the easiest part since it's rooted and permaflanked it's actually one of the squishiest targets in the game. If the troll hits a guy who's in cover he loses cover, and that, quadruples the crit chance on that guy.

The reason I had trouble initially was because, when I wrote that, all my non-PC guys were getting a sub 50 sub 40 percent hit chance with aim on these guys. As it stands this encounter and the majority of encounters in the game are just tedious busy work. And I still have no idea how cover works. By this point I just figure it's RNG. You can shoot at a guy who is in the same location from the same location and either get a blocked, cover, or regular hit, maybe even flanked.

imweasel

(one, a cannibalistic, Samurai ghoul who’d like to be a more valuable member of society, particularly feels like he walked right out of one of the better Bioware games)
Did HBS... decline?
No, because Dragonfall's companions also feel like they walked out of a BioWare game
Indeed. Glory is even a lesbian (or maybe bisexual) too.

Who'd have thunk that the Codex would praise HBS's Biowarian style companions.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Having them muh emotions or complicated backgrounds is not the signature Bioware style. Having the "bribe me for romance" and "Hello, my name is X, my sexual preference is Y, wanna fuck?" at every character is.

You don't learn Glory is lesbian until going pretty deep into conversations with her. If she was Bioware it would be "Hi, Im Lesbian. My name is Glory. Don't wanna talk about stuff right now, bring me a gift of +20 friendship"

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
HBS Companion don't shove you their special snowflake stories with lots of drama and forced coolness into the face.
That alone makes them better than Bioderps Fucktokens by a huge margin.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's pretty obvious that Dragonfall's companions were designed by somebody who had the general "Bioware companion interaction model" in mind. That's more than just melodrama and romance, it's also the entire structure of a base that you return to after every mission with the companions having new things to say each time about their personal lives.

But with the overall more toned down approach it perhaps feels more like KOTOR-era Bioware than ME/DA-era Bioware.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

:hmmm:

I must have missed the part in which I can indulge in pathetic and utterly pointless retarded romances. Also sexual orientation is a Bioware thing now? So you cannot have gay characters anymore because it is automatically retarded? I guess homosexuality doesn't really exist then and is entirely made up by Bioware as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also HBS games have no romance. Nothing wrong with Glory being lesbian unless she is there only so you can romance her with female characters.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Also HBS games have no romance. Nothing wrong with Glory being lesbian unless she is there only so you can romance her with female characters.

Or worse.. If there are 6 companions. 1 Gay, 1 Lesbian, 1 Hetrosexual, 1 Demon Tranny and 2 Bisexual companions. With lackluster pandering writing and cut scenes and dialogue that just makes you feel uncomfortable playing the game.

Bioware companions feel like a checklist of fetishes / sexual preferences. With story and reasoning for being there tacked on (badly) after.

It's pretty obvious that Dragonfall's companions were designed by somebody who had the general "Bioware companion interaction model" in mind. That's more than just melodrama and romance, it's also the entire structure of a base that you return to after every mission with the companions having new things to say each time about their personal lives.

But with the overall more toned down approach it perhaps feels more like KOTOR-era Bioware than ME/DA-era Bioware.

I definitely see remnants of Bioware Archetypes in Dragonfall.. Gloria is the sexy yet mysterious and misunderstood woman with a dark past. The Ogre chick is the strong and independent woman archetype who has a troubled past (and hates men). Then you have the token Bro companion (with a troubled past).

But toned down is an under statement, especially if you compare them to recent Bioware games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Anyway, more reviews.

5/5: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/shadow...t-cyberpunk-franchise-gets-even-better-468224

Shadowrun Hong Kong Review: The Best Cyberpunk Franchise Gets Even Better

If you don’t like Shadowrun, then thisShadowrun: Hong Kong review isn’t for you. Thanks for stopping by.

If you like Shadowrun, then this Shadowrun: Hong Kong review will confirm your hopes and assuage your fears.

If you haven’t tried Shadowrun, then this Shadowrun: Hong Kong review will, hopefully, convince you to take a run at the shadows, chummer, and see firsthand what 20+ years of lore and a passionate studio can do.

You should know that this is not a game for casual action fans. Sure, the veneer is a glossy melange of dystopic 80s nihilism , world cultures, classic racism and pulpy noir. There are rich fjords of lore for Harebrained Schemes' to draw from and so much setting and character motive comes steeped in lingo and sci-fi certitude. For gamers who love narrative, Shadowrun provides as good a canvas as any other franchise for action and adventure.

That action is turn-based, though, and the XCOM-style combat system is, for some, an automatic turn-off. If you can’t stomach the thought of gunfighters taking turns then you will be overwhelmed and under-entertained by Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It is a complex game and requires a complex attention span.

If you have the patience and the knack for strategic combat, as many Shadowrun fans do, then this game is as perfect an entry to the world of Shadowrun as any other. HBS’ previous installments, Shadowrun: Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall , are allllmost as good. But the best parts have been carried over and the slower, clunkier elements stripped away to streamline a familiar story.

Most notable is the improvement to decking, the in-game equivalent of computer hacking. A Simon-style number pad puzzle, as well as an encryption mini-game and non-combat stealth mechanics have been added to the cyberspace portion of Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Hacking computer systems and engaging in VR battles has been my favorite thing to do since this franchise was on the Sega Genesis , and Shadowrun: Hong Kongprovides the best Matrix combat of them all. In short, hacking is no longer an exhausting repetition of take cover-fire-repeat. It feels different from standard combat, as it should.

What does not feel different, or different enough at least, is the story. Admittedly, I only managed to squeeze in 10 hours of gameplay in the 30-hour preview window I had access to. But so far, the story follows the same mysterious corporate intrigue/death of a loved one/hesitant team leader narrative as Dragonfall. Fortunately, several of the early runs (missions) I encountered had a lot of variety and a lot of surprises, so the action is superb. But afterwards, while going through a text-heavy dialogue with a surly orc who doesn’t trust me, I felt like I was replaying my interactions with Eiger at the outset ofDragonfall .

Again, I haven’t seen the story through to its conclusion and there are likely numerous surprises in store. Especially regarding the city of Hong Kong itself, which takes on an in-game persona in the form of Qi. Feng Shui gets the Sixth World magic treatment inShadowrun: Hong Kong, and Qi becomes a tangible magical force in the city simply because enough people believed in it. This force is the centerpiece of a great many early runs, and a city-wide subplot is likely tied to the flow of negative Qi. Essentially, this new element provides the clearest opportunity for Shadowrun: Hong Kong to abandon the tropes established by its predecessors and go off in its own unique, wildly entertaining direction. Not to mention the new transition animations which add a much more satisfying sense of achievement once you uncover more of the story.

I should also mention that HBS is big on community content, so much so that a level editor is included with Shadowrun: Hong Kong. The same editor came with previous installments in the franchise and the community produced some tremendous and outstanding work . There are hundreds of user-created missions and levels and all-out campaigns that add a ludicrous amount of replay value. You can run through this game, set it aside for a month, and come back to find dozens of hours of new content. Run through those, wait a bit, and you’ll find even more to do.

The level editing fanatics will have a field day with the new assets in Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Although the perspective is isometric, the depth created by the set pieces more than makes up for a static camera angle. The game is gorgeous, and cyberpunk fans will find a lot to like in the neon signs and hissing pipes of Hong Kong’s busy backgrounds.

Shadowrun fans will find a lot to like about this game. It checks all the boxes for a robustShadowrun experience. Anyone who enjoyed Dragonfall would be wise to double-down and purchase Shadowrun: Hong Kong. And anyone who didn’t and felt like they missed out can dive right in. It’s accessible, entertaining and priced just right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
4/5: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/08/20/review-shadowrun-hong-kong/163437/

Review: Shadowrun: Hong Kong

In this day and age of gaming, it’s rare to find a developer that consistently releases not just good titles, but fantastic ones. When Harebrained Schemes first came onto the scene back in 2013, fans weren’t sure what the brand new studio (comprised of industry veterans, mind you) were going to do with the beloved tabletop roleplaying game Shadowrun. After all, the series has had a spotty past in the world of gaming, spawning both great games (like the SNES/Genesis entry) and just mediocre ones (like the multiplayer-centric Shadowrun for Xbox 360 and Windows).

Needless to say, audiences were worried about Shadowrun Returns. Of course, that anxiety disappeared the moment the game released and then became but a fleeting memory when the even more wonderful Dragonfall expansion launched last year. Here we are now in 2015 with Hong Kong, the third Shadowrun in three years. That’s a lot of Shadowrun, right? Seeing as annual franchises often go to the well once too often, Hong Kong — despite Harebrained’s now impressive resume — comes with trepidation of its own: do we really need another Shadowrun game already?

Hong Kong is set in a sort of Bladerunner, tech-meets-magic dystopian future where morality is never black and white, and one can get practically anything for a price or through means of violence. Suffice to say, Shadowrun’s setting is a seedy one; crime, murder, betrayal, greed… they’re all ripe for the picking here in Hong Kong, as they have been in all past installments of the series, except they are delivered upon with even more precision in this latest standalone endeavor. This gritty world is brought to life by the continued excellent writing that has been one of the many superb aspects of Harebrained’s take on the Shadowrun universe. As a cRPG, narrative fidelity is just expected, especially given Dragonfall‘s success in this domain, but then also the benchmark set by wordsmith masterpieces like Pillars of Eternity. Fortunately, Hong Kong not only succeeds at meeting these lofty standards, but surpasses them, ultimately resulting in one of the most sharply written roleplaying experiences in recent memory.

The writing doesn’t just serve to hammer out plot twists and grand unveilings — no, it manages to build a Rolodex of characters that are every bit as likable as they are relatable. Despite this being such a futuristic world, these characters feel as alive as any seen in video games in quite some time. Their dialogue is fluid, unfolding in a way that feels uncannily natural, but it’s not just the cadence of the writing that manages to reel players in, it’s how those characters are forged. Their backstories highlight why each person is the way they are, why they think like they do, why they make the decisions that they make — and just like in real life, the various traumas they have experienced have molded them to be hardened to the core or empathetic to a fault.

Don’t be fooled: though at first glance this is a science fiction game, there is a real human drama that is happening beyond the surface. A drama of making hard decisions, living with the consequences of bad ones and moving forward no matter our transgressions. It’s heavy, poignant stuff if you want it to be; or it can be just another sci-fi game with badass heroes and villains on a collision course for one another. That’s the beauty of Harebrained Schemes’ work: it can go as deep as you want it to — it can cater to the ardent Shadowrun collective or the casual Steam user just looking for a new turn-based RPG.

I won’t get too much into the combat mechanics here, as they remain largely unchanged from the past two entries. I say that with glowing endorsement, however, as the mechanics didn’t need to change. What was laid in Returns and then iterated on in Dragonfall made for a rock solid foundation that, at this point, doesn’t need modification. Knowing this, the developers instead added to the formula in subtle ways, such as the ability to enter turn-based combat mode as soon as an enemy is in view, the new Cyberware skill-tree and new Cyberweapons that can be installed into characters’ arms. It isn’t much, but if it’s not broke, don’t fix is the mentality here and Harebrained has the right of it to employ that very philosophy.

It, in essence, gives them more time to expound upon the aspects of Hong Kong‘s predecessors that needed alteration. For instance, the inventory UI has been rebuilt for a more streamlined experience and easier management of items during missions — something that was shockingly amiss in Returnsand Dragonfall. Most notable among the change-ups here is the Matrix system which has received nearly a complete overhaul. This was badly needed as what was available in the previous titles just never felt fully-featured or fully-realized. Having gone back to the drawing board was the right move in this instance as what we have now isn’t just a re-skinned world anymore, instead feeling like a separate entity from the game world.

By doing this, Harebrained has achieved the mission they set out on when starting Hong Kong‘s development, and that is Decker’s gameplay indeed feels like dangerous legwork, investigation and hacking. They’ve done this by essentially increasing opportunities for risk and reward; the more chances players take in tackling things outside their core objectives, the more lucrative their runs will be. Contrarily, that also means the odds of getting discovered go up exponentially as well, meaning that while combat is still a substantial part of the experience, it’s not the only part of the Matrix experience anymore.

Rounding out the changes–outside of the new crew, magic and cyberware–are some graphical changes. Because the game does not have to work on tablets any longer, the devs were able to enhance the graphical prowess, allowing for illustrated transition animatics that occur at key times in the story. Further on the presentation front, the audio has been improved as well, now incorporating dynamic music for combat that rocks and rolls with the flow of battle. Again, a small modification, but a neat one nevertheless–and one that merely adds to the immersion factor.

So what else is there to Shadowrun: Hong Kong? Well, skill-based character progression is back, in addition to a classless skill system that grants the opportunity to grow one’s character in whatever direction that’s desired. There are over 200 weapons to loot and use in combat, countless ways to dispatch enemies, plenty of tough dialogue choices that are never foreshadowed or given away to the player through some basic “good choice-netural choice-bad choice” dialogue wheel, and a massive world that is ripe with quests, history, and plenty to see.

Closing Comments
:

We’ve said it practically with each new Shadowrun Harebrained Schemes puts out, and we’ll say it again for Hong Kong: this is the most definitive, comprehensive and polished version of Shadowrun on the market. It builds on the past games in subtle but smart ways, fixing what was broken, and not touching what wasn’t. As a result, players are left with a magical cRPG that gives players so many options. Whether it’s dialogue and story or character, combat, exploration and loadout options, this is about as close as folks are going to get to a tabletop experience. The best part is, you don’t have to be a Shadowrun fan to love it. If you are, though, there’s just that much more to get lost in here. This is a game that transcends its name and should be spoken of in the same breath as the genre’s best. In years to come people will be comparing the new cRPGs to Hong Kong, because it’s easily a benchmark for what developers in the RPG arena should be looking at when designing their games.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Having a troubled past is actually a shadowrun thing in itself though. Normal citizens dont tend to become organized criminals persuing missions with highly suicidal character.

Also i dont mind tropy character if theyre done well, which is the case in harebrained games. Totally serious, non clichee characters wouldnt fit the setting imho.

imweasel

I must have missed the part in which I can indulge in pathetic and utterly pointless retarded romances.
So companions are only Biowarian style if they are romanceable. Ok, got it.

Also sexual orientation is a Bioware thing now? So you cannot have gay characters anymore because it is automatically retarded? I guess homosexuality doesn't really exist then and is entirely made up by Bioware as well.
:hmmm:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wait, hardcoregamer got a review copy and RPGCodex didn't?!
Hardcoregamer lead guy is an idiot that admited on RPGwatch forums that has never played Bloodlines and when told to do it ASAP or remove the tag from the site he said he might someday LOL

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Having a troubled past is actually a shadowrun thing in itself though.

I was more making a comment on the fact that each companion has to have a "Quest" that always results in their issue being resolved and leading to some pay off. A unique item, they don't betray you later on, they survive or do something in the finale of the game. Etc..

This is what I consider the Bioware Tropes in Video games. You get a bunch of multi-diversity companions and give them all troubled pasts (that you have to resolve) which leads to cheap 20 minute side quests which after completion always leads to a resolution for that companion.

Gloria started as a brooding quiet girl.. but then you do some shit and go some places and now it's all better.
Ogre chick hates you, hates your leadership, do some quests and now she will give her life for you.
Dude Bro is Dude bro until you save his bro and now he's all like duuude bro!

I actually liked the companion stories in Dragon Fall.. I just understand where this "Bioware Archetype" thing is coming from.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I haven't played the previous Shadowrun games, are they continuation of a single story or separate?

Gord

Arcane
I haven't played the previous Shadowrun games, are they continuation of a single story or separate?

Each one is independent of the others, maybe with the exception of a name drop here and there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom