Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alfons

Prophet
2T7Zwek_QgOZ.gif

HZp0dEzkT9Oy.gif

K5TGBzbXTX-2.gif
WOW! Look at all of those animations. All those cool, unskippable animations. Christ, this shit is gonna suck. Battles with a lot of NPC's took fucking forever in DC because of this shit. This is worse than a cutscene. I think the spread of actual gameplay to animation is about 1 to 5. Make your decisions, execute them and then sit there for 30 seconds with a thumb up your ass. When the fuck is anyone going to look back at Fallout and realize that the combat speed slider was a good idea. FFS.

Shin

Cipher
WOW! Look at all of those animations. All those cool, unskippable animations. Christ, this shit is gonna suck. Battles with a lot of NPC's took fucking forever in DC because of this shit. This is worse than a cutscene. I think the spread of actual gameplay to animation is about 1 to 5. Make your decisions, execute them and then sit there for 30 seconds with a thumb up your ass. When the fuck is anyone going to look back at Fallout and realize that the combat speed slider was a good idea. FFS.

While I agree that an 'animation speed' slider would be very useful, I still think those animations look kinda neat. Can't wait to get my greedy paws on this sucker.

ZoddGuts

Augur
For fuck sake even JRPG's have had speed up/skip animations for two decades now, all games should have this.

Alfons

Prophet
While I agree that an 'animation speed' slider would be very useful, I still think those animations look kinda neat. Can't wait to get my greedy paws on this sucker.
I agree that they are cool but how many times can you watch them before they get old? It's a turn based game, animation has no impact on the actual gameplay. The whole thing just reminds me of those retarded Harry Poterseque chess games, where capturing a pawn takes 15 seconds. And that's exactly how I look at it. I just want to play the fucking game I don't want to see everyone perform 3-second animations for every action they perform in a game that will have hundreds or thousands of those actions.

Alfons

Prophet
Yeah, sure.
Because oh boy, a game will suck because of some fucking animations.
:retarded:
I was actually talking about that one aspect. Make no mistake though, this shit is fucking awful. I've been playing DC in 20-minute bursts because everything is so fucking slow. At one point I just started doing chores because enemy turns took long as fuck. That's an indication of a great game right there, you spend more time sweeping the floors, washing the dishes or preparing fucking dinner than actually playing the game. I'm not even sure playing it was any more enjoyable either.

Lhynn

Arcane
how many times can you watch them before they get old?.It's a turn based game, animation has no impact on the actual gameplay.

Some never get old
FO1_Electrical_critical_hit.gif
FO1_Plasma_critical_hit.gif
1389386195188.gif
1389422365581.gif

Others are worth playing trough an entire game to witness

latest

I may be a sick person, but fuck it, they felt good.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Wut, the animations in DF/DC are quite fast. Certainly not a chore. Maybe consider getting a PC that isn't from 1995 and can actually run it properly?
Sure. 12 NPC's which are fucking about the whole map. Each probably takes 2-5 second to finish a turn depending on what they do, that's 24 seconds up to a minute where you aren't doing shit. That wouldn't be as shitty if the game worked when alt tabbed, but that would require just god tier coding skills. To add insult to injury the game actually has a faster running animation at least, but it only exists outside of combat when you tell the PC to move to a point that is particularly far. During combat you always get the running on the moon animation.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I have cancelled my purchase due to Alfons raising a good point.
Thank you and have a good day.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Something AAA games got right is release date meaning "midnight pacific time" so that when I knock off work at 5pm my time I can go home and start playing, rather than these nonsense 10am pacific releases that indies are a fan of which means 2am the next day.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Put some dough in my steam wallet, just waiting for that badboy to be released. Should be in a few hours, no?

dukeofwhales

Cipher
It's going live at 10am Pacific on GOG - I assume it is the same for Steam - so just under 11 hours from now

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Alfons is sore about Shadowrun because he can't get through the first mission in DFDC without getting wrecked (and it is of course the game's fault).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love the wallpaper, wish there was a version without the stupid text. Gotta airbrush that crap out every time before I can actually use it. :mad:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Alfons is sore about Shadowrun because he can't get through the first mission in DFDC without getting wrecked (and it is of course the game's fault).

Someone who prefers to alt tabb when the enemy is making his move shouldnt be taken serious anyhow.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What, how? Did he try to fight the ork with the minigun?
Who is actually very much fightable - except on very hard. Well, you need to summon the air spirit and have a little luck with crits on the henchmen.

Just putting this down here as well for posterity so Alfons can't edit it out.
I don't know man, I get fucked up by so much bullshit it blows my mind. Even in the first real mission, the club mission. When you meet blitz and open the door to the room with the turret. My PC gets downed half the time. The turret attacks me for around 14-20 damage and then the little bot crits me for 20-25.

I know the thing about the consumables it just doesn't really help. The game basically comes down to a damage race and since more than half the time my NPC's do 0 damage per turn I don't get too far. The thing I did forget to use is the fetishes but if it does is give another asshole that can't hit shit I don't think it's going to help much.

The cover/flanking mechanic is borderline broken. It's rather obvious it was an afterthought that was tacked on and not actually implemented. Shooting a turret straight in the face is a flanking attack...ok, I suppose the turret should have taken cover. And how exactly a guy who is 20 feet away and 10% to the left is flanking me?

This might be a dumb question but does this get fun at some point? I played through the same situation a few times . I did the exact the same thing 4 times. all 4 of them had different results.

Retard confirmed :D Use Blitz to take control of the turret. Put your guys behind the boxes. Unload everything on the raging troll. Summon a spirit, Dietrich carries one in his inventory - it's free to use. You aren't supposed to be taking that damage if you have a single working brain cell functioning.

Also, how did you survive JA2 if Shadowrun animations are too slow? :o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom