Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

buzz

Arcane
Or they're done by people who are enthusiastic about what they're doing and can put out a great game on an 80K budget. Just because "professional developers" love to piss away money, doesn't mean you can't make games on the cheap. Is anyone really surprised that you don't need 120,000 dollar salaries to develop games? Or that, on the other hand, if you feel you ALWAYS requite that level of salary, maybe you'll need a lot more money than otherwise necessary?

I wasn't talking about the small indie games though. I was talking about the ones like SpaceVenture, Tex Murphy, Dreamfall Chapters, Jane Jensen's Moebius, Broken Sword and so on, who were selling the same "veteran developer of old-school adventure games is back!" like Schafer. I trust them more than Schafer though, simply because they were more hungry than he was but I'm still a bit afraid of their success.

Branm

Learned
Reading reviews it seems the main campaign is super linear with almost no side quests....

Looks like its selling really well, not sure if it deserves it. Other then isometric view it seems to be a let down .

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wasn't talking about the small indie games though. I was talking about the ones like SpaceVenture, Tex Murphy, Dreamfall Chapters, Jane Jensen's Moebius, Broken Sword and so on, who were selling the same "veteran developer of old-school adventure games is back!" like Schafer. I trust them more than Schafer though, simply because they were more hungry than he was but I'm still a bit afraid of their success.
I can't speak for the rest of them, but Tex is shaping up fine so far.

Reading reviews it seems the main campaign is super linear with almost no side quests....

Looks like its selling really well, not sure if it deserves it. Other then isometric view it seems to be a let down .
According to Wiessman the Berlin DLC should me more open with plenty side missions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's really terrifying to think about what PE could end up like if it only hit the base level of funding.

Yeah, that's what scared me about Tim Schaefer's game as well. If he burned through 3 millions like nothing, then all the adventure gaming projects that barely got the initially requested budget may have no chance to get through.

Schaefer's (in)ability to administrate 3 million dollars hopefully won't be precedence.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
This game raises a philosophical question: in today's world, is a shallow, popamole game worth the time/money/effort just because it has an isometric view and turn-based combat?

The Codex is rocked to its core.

Never compromise, not even in the face of an isometric turn-based game.

iYfeKCf7zI0EL.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Or they're done by people who are enthusiastic about what they're doing and can put out a great game on an 80K budget. Just because "professional developers" love to piss away money, doesn't mean you can't make games on the cheap. Is anyone really surprised that you don't need 120,000 dollar salaries to develop games? Or that, on the other hand, if you feel you ALWAYS requite that level of salary, maybe you'll need a lot more money than otherwise necessary?

Ah, okay. Maybe I'm biased because the 80K games like Infamous Quest seem far superior to me to the big-budget ones that... well, don't seem big budget? That's the thing that amazes me the most. Graphically, the 90s-throwback games look way better than Broken Age and Spaceventure, at least to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ah, okay. Maybe I'm biased because the 80K games like Infamous Quest seem far superior to me to the big-budget ones that... well, don't seem big budget? That's the thing that amazes me the most. Graphically, the 90s-throwback games look way better than Broken Age and Spaceventure, at least to me.

Generally, a Kickstarter game with an 80,000 dollar budget is really a self-funded indie game where the team is using the Kickstarter funds to pay freelance artists for some fancier graphics while doing all the core programming work for free and living on a shoestring budget.

The higher budget ones are made by people who work in an office and have a monthly salary.

pusheax

Novice
Eurogamer:
And it won't be until the community gets its hands on the editor, starts remixing the current material and generating its own, that the game will really begin to blossom.

RockPaperShotgun:
If you buy this then there are going to be other campaigns worth playing, probably within a few weeks, and frankly that excites more than the base game ever could. Because I know what the internet is capable of when you give it the tools, and that’s precisely what Harebrained are doing here.

So shipping with editor so that community can design the game for developer is now universally approved.

Renevent

Cipher
Such angst in this thread lol. Anyways based on the reviews it seems the game is a bit lighter in some areas then I would expect...guess I'll see for myself later today :)

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
So shipping with editor so that community can design the game for developer is now universally approved.

It's a fuckin $18US game. It's gonna cap out at the heady price of $20. You were expecting War and Peace?

Wizfall

Cipher
This game raises a philosophical question: in today's world, is a shallow, popamole game worth the time/money/effort just because it has an isometric view and turn-based combat?

The Codex is rocked to its core.
More like :
Should i shitpost about SRR or not if the game is very enjoyable and feel somewhat like a cRPG even if it's linear and the mechanics are average ?
Should i keep shitposting about the obvious flaws of the game before even playing it and ignore the main point : a Codex member said he had massive fun fpr at least 12 hours with the game despite those obvious flaws ?

Stabwound

Arcane
I just noticed that the game on Steam is only $3 more than it was if you ordered it on kickstarter; the deluxe edition only $1.50 more. Way to give a kick in the nuts to people that invested in this glorified tablet game with its castrated editor in the first place.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just noticed that the game on Steam is only $3 more than it was if you ordered it on kickstarter; the deluxe edition only $1.50 more. Way to give a kick in the nuts to people that invested in this glorified tablet game with its castrated editor in the first place.

lol that's nothing bro http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2128128298/expeditions-conquistador/posts/542583

Get used to it. The truth is that backers paid for the game so long ago that most of them will hardly care at this point.

Wizfall

Cipher
You have the Berlin DLC for free when you are a backer

Morkar Left

Personally I would have gladly paid 50-60$ for a longer and more complex game. 18-20$ for the game sounds reasonable so far from what was said about it and I will judge it at that pricetag. They never promised a full-fledged rpg. If the combat is right I'm pretty sure I will be satisfied and hope for more improvements and campaigns in additional addons.

crawlkill

...we backed the game so it could exist at all and so that its creators could have as much control as possible over their creation, not so we could get a sweet discount. Also, note that $3 cheaper is a 15% discount on the core game alone? I mean, that sounds pretty reasonable? And yeah, early DLC for free.

...we backed the game so it could exist at all and so that its creators could have as much control as possible over their creation, not so we could get a sweet discount. Also, note that $3 cheaper is a 15% discount on the core game alone? I mean, that sounds pretty reasonable? And yeah, early DLC for free.
Its just an attempt to cause :butthurt: glad you are being :obviously: about it

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope TB is right about this game, though he clearly had not played the SNES Shadowrun. My expectations are mainly based on my nostalgic experiences with that game - I never expected this to be an open world game. Other than the poor saving system everything seems fine to me at this point. If someone expected this to be the next Ultima Underworld he deserves to be disappointed.

NotTale

Learned
Personally I would have gladly paid 50-60$ for a longer and more complex game.

I should hope that's a common opinion around here. And hopefully some of these are successful enough to get developers (and... sigh... publishers) to be willing to take the risk on larger budget titles.

crawlkill

Its just an attempt to cause :butthurt: glad you are being :obviously: about it

I'm too fucking earnest, have low troll resists. my party will never take down the final boss of the internet. until Google releases the in-Chrome microtransactions to boost my defenses.

bonescraper

Ok, so who's going to do a "Ghosts of Auschwitz" module?

2011—In Oświęcim, Poland, the dead of Auschwitz-Birkenau rise up as ghosts. Most of the living inhabitants of Oświęcim flee for their lives and the city quickly becomes a ghost town. (Shadows of Europe)

2035—In Oświęcim, the monks of Order of St. Sylvester construct a network of astral wards called the “Soul Barrier” to contain the ghosts of Nazi-era concentratin camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau. (Shadows of Europe)

2061—After the Halley's Comet pass, in Oświęcim, Poland, the ghosts become stronger and are able to bypass the spirit barrier. Breakouts become more and more common. (Shadows of Europe)

:takemyjewgold:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom