Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Zeriel

Arcane
Ok, so who's going to do a "Ghosts of Auschwitz" module?

2011—In Oświęcim, Poland, the dead of Auschwitz-Birkenau rise up as ghosts. Most of the living inhabitants of Oświęcim flee for their lives and the city quickly becomes a ghost town. (Shadows of Europe)

2035—In Oświęcim, the monks of Order of St. Sylvester construct a network of astral wards called the “Soul Barrier” to contain the ghosts of Nazi-era concentratin camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau. (Shadows of Europe)

:takemyjewgold:

dead-snow.jpg

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
2011—In Oświęcim, Poland, the dead of Auschwitz-Birkenau rise up as ghosts. Most of the living inhabitants of Oświęcim flee for their lives and the city quickly becomes a ghost town. (Shadows of Europe)

2035—In Oświęcim, the monks of Order of St. Sylvester construct a network of astral wards called the “Soul Barrier” to contain the ghosts of Nazi-era concentratin camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau. (Shadows of Europe)

When Dunkelzahn's daughter is kidnapped, it's up to C-Snake Pliskin to parachute into eastern Europe--behind the Soul Barrier--and lay down the Final Solution in--ESCAPE FROM NEW BIRKENAU

oh no

buzz

Arcane
Here's another problem that I have with kickstarter as a concept to make old-school games: you are selling your idea to snobby cunts.
Even if this game is linear and doesn't have large amounts of C&C and it's not that hard, so what? The fact that it has isometric graphics, an editor and decent/fun turn-based combat while retaining a nice atmosphere already puts it high above current generation thrash. For a third of the price those games have.
I expect similar insular opinions to arrive when Wasteland 2 and P:E and D:OS are going to appear as well. People are not going to be satisfied with what are essentially desperate attempts to revive a dying genre and then cRPGs will be going out for good, with the kickstarter revival being a whimper. Really hope that your small nitpicks don't affect the popularity of the games in the long run. Otherwise ... Thank guys, let's enjoy Dragon Age 500 then!

crawlkill

Really hope that your small nitpicks don't affect the popularity of the games in the long run.

Everyone who's actually touched the game so far has said it's not perfect but that it's fine and worth playing. No one makes buying decisions based on prerelease Codex spergs wailing about the shit they don't like in reviews. It'll be fine, chill.

Zeriel

Arcane

When Dunkelzahn's daughter is kidnapped, it's up to C-Snake Pliskin to parachute into eastern Europe--behind the Soul Barrier--and lay down the Final Solution in--ESCAPE FROM NEW BIRKENAU

oh no

BRB, making now.

dunno lah

Arcane
So, shallow :incline: then? I wanna play this game so bad. But $18 is really gonna hurt my wallet bank acct...the other less monocled option would be to wait for a possible december steam sale.

Life's a bitch.
:rage:

Repressed Homosexual
I just noticed that the game on Steam is only $3 more than it was if you ordered it on kickstarter; the deluxe edition only $1.50 more. Way to give a kick in the nuts to people that invested in this glorified tablet game with its castrated editor in the first place.

lol that's nothing bro http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2128128298/expeditions-conquistador/posts/542583

Get used to it. The truth is that backers paid for the game so long ago that most of them will hardly care at this point.

Indie games not conserving their value for more than a few weeks or a month or two, what else is new?

NotTale

Learned
Here's another problem that I have with kickstarter as a concept to make old-school games: you are selling your idea to snobby cunts.
Even if this game is linear and doesn't have large amounts of C&C and it's not that hard, so what? The fact that it has isometric graphics, an editor and decent/fun turn-based combat while retaining a nice atmosphere already puts it high above current generation thrash. For a third of the price those games have.
I expect similar insular opinions to arrive when Wasteland 2 and P:E and D:OS are going to appear as well. People are not going to be satisfied with what are essentially desperate attempts to revive a dying genre and then cRPGs will be going out for good, with the kickstarter revival being a whimper. Really hope that your small nitpicks don't affect the popularity of the games in the long run. Otherwise ... Thank guys, let's enjoy Dragon Age 500 then!

If this is the Codex being snobby and nitpicky I want more of it. Honestly, I'm getting an optimistic and evenhanded vibe here.

In between the "HAHA, THIS REVIEWER SAID IT WAS SHIT" and "HAHA, THIS REVIEWER IS SHIT."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, shallow :incline: then? I wanna play this game so bad. But $18 is really gonna hurt my wallet bank acct...the other less monocled option would be to wait for a possible december steam sale.

Life's a bitch.
:rage:

There might be an Autumn Sale earlier than that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's really terrifying to think about what PE could end up like if it only hit the base level of funding.

Yeah, that's what scared me about Tim Schaefer's game as well. If he burned through 3 millions like nothing, then all the adventure gaming projects that barely got the initially requested budget may have no chance to get through.
I don't know how much funds Double Fine has but if Double Fine has a high burn rate but don't have the AAA projects, they could be really depending of the kickstarter money + humble bundle + loan money to survive at short term. All those other projects don't have the burden of being developed by middle sized company with serious financial troubles.

buzz

Arcane
Everyone who's actually touched the game so far has said it's not perfect but that it's fine and worth playing. No one makes buying decisions based on prerelease Codex spergs wailing about the shit they don't like in reviews. It'll be fine, chill.

Yes, but you still have this general air of disappointment, of dissatisfaction. "It could have been better"
Fucking hell it could've been better, which one of your favorite cRPGs couldn't have been so? RPGs are a genre filled with crushed dreams, removed content, buggy releases and awesome fans dealing with the problems, patching the games to a playable state and enjoying them flawed as they may be. At least that's the general attitude after the fact.

Codex is fairly tame right now (mostly because many probably see it just like I do), but try seeing the same reasoning in other websites, especially contrarian ones like 4chan.

That's why I'm mildly annoyed by HBS already working on another kickstarter campaign. It's like they predicted that they might get a general negative or "meh" rep from the game and they want to move to the next thing as quickly as possible. Instead of working more on Shadowrun, maybe creating a sequel with all the things that people in here miss and with more reactivity.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What good is turn-based combat if it's easy?

Just because something is turn-based doesn't make it good. Much like choices require consequences to be meaningful, turn-based requires tactical challenge to be good. Without it, you might as well be clicking on shit in real-time.

buzz

Arcane

It's an alternative to real time/shooty GoW clone/awesome button combat (Edit: which is also easy in many modern games). That alone elevates it a bit.
As long as it's not Ruins of Myth Dranor level of shitty combat, it can't be that bad.

Rake

Arcane
Really hope that your small nitpicks don't affect the popularity of the games in the long run.

Pity. If they had done so this whole AAAAAAAAAAAAA buisness would have crashed a ling time ago.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But it also shouldn't be excruiatingly punishing. You know what game I'm talking about. :roll:

Anyway, SRR has several difficulty settings, which make the battles more challening, so stop riding on this "the combat is shit because it is easy" shit.

Wizfall

Cipher

Just because something is turn-based doesn't make it good. Much like choices require consequences to be meaningful, turn-based requires tactical challenge to be good. Without it, you might as well be clicking on shit in real-time.
Just because something doesn't follow the cRPG "theory" doesn't mean it's a bad cRPG.
If it "works" and feel like a cRPG, it's good.

crawlkill

That's why I'm mildly annoyed by HBS already working on another kickstarter campaign. It's like they predicted that they might get a general negative or "meh" rep from the game and they want to move to the next thing as quickly as possible. Instead of working more on Shadowrun, maybe creating a sequel with all the things that people in here miss and with more reactivity.

It does sort of feel that way, doesn't it? I dunno. Hopefully the game'll still be a hot financial success and people'll support the DLCs enough to make continued asset-crankin viable for them. I've already bought two copies on top of my Kickstarting for friends, so...at least I'm doing my shitty little part, hah.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What good is turn-based combat if it's easy?.

What good is any combat if it's easy?

Have we heard much about the higher difficulties yet?
I am certain that retarded reviewers of popamole puppet co played it on Easy... and didn't even complete it. but hey, the codex gonna sperg...
Yep, the only information we have is Eurogamer, IGN and other sites that aren't really trustworthy and Darth Roxor that played the game on normal mode where enemies weren't even able to throw grenades. If more difficulty mean more enemies abilities unlocked instead of HP bloat then it could be good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Just because something doesn't follow the cRPG "theory" doesn't mean it's a bad cRPG.

If it "works" and feel like a cRPG, it's good.
What the fuck does 'feels like a cRPG' mean? Has quests and XP?

Also, what I said has nothing to do with any theory. TB combat slows things down and allows you to consider different options, but if there are no options to consider or if considering options is meaningless because the game is easy and you'll win no matter what you choose, it fucking sucks, plain and simple and no amount of "but ... but it's TB!" masturbation will save it.

Mind you, I'm not talking about Shadowrun as I haven't played it yet, but about easy TB in general.

Rake

Arcane

Then you will be constantly dissapointed. W2, PE, TTON etc. will also won't be at the level of difficulty you find acceptable. In today's gaming world that level of dificulty won't pass. Not even kickstarter backers want something like this. The funny fact is that from all the :incline: games, PE with it's RTwP will propably be the most difficult, but again we are talking about BG2 or IWD2 levels of difficulty. I remember you said BG2 was easy.

JA flashback stragled to make it's goal, and i'm sure many of it's backers haven't played the original but pledged when Obsidian told them to because TB,isometric, old school is cool mentality. And i excpect it to be easyer than the originals.
ffs, AoD level of dificulty was proven unacceptable even on Codex. That should tell you something.
The people that like extemely compex and difficult TB combat are so few that the game would be very low budget. And then you would have complains that it won't be "Full RPG".

Wizfall

Cipher
Fallout 1/2 combats were so hard and complex that i still have bad dreams about it.
What shitty games they were.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom