Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I bother with BG1? Spoilers probably.

SmokedWolf

Scholar
I must admit I found Morrowind's dialogue system interesting, it is supposed to be a freeform dialogue system letting you enquire about anything you know about. To do this very well would require a decent amount of intelligence and a lot of work.

Bethseda obviously did the best I could.

The reason I found ok was probably because I had just been playing Oblivion when I first played Morrowind.
In comparison Morrowinds dialogue system is a work of great innovation.
Not much immersion though.

Andhaira

Arcane
The dialogue in elder scroll games is a shitty piece of crap. The fuckers updated grafix from arena days, but kep tht eunderlining engine the same.

Oh and yeah, they added starsigns.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Andhaira said:
The dialogue in elder scroll games is a shitty piece of crap. The fuckers updated grafix from arena days, but kep tht eunderlining engine the same.

Kept the same ? it's actually *worse*, they removed features of their games in each iteration, leading to the first person slasher Oblivion. Even Morrowind diamonologues are a lot better than the ones present in Oblivion because in Morrowind you can learn a great deal about the world, the cultures and politics with the diamonologues and there was a lot of text to read, some of it was interesting, imho.
In oblivion every "dialogues" consist of "I saw a mudcrab the other day" and "Did you see the good weapons made in our local shop" and "Filthy Gray Fox thief, the beggars are his ears and eyes". I'm willing to bet the reason that Oblivion is that way is because of the silly requirement of having every single line of the game voice acted, leading to a world where everyone has the same annoying voice you'll keep hearing and leading to some NPCs, like the beggars, having multiple voices for the same character.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Just finished BGII finally, great game. My only complaint is I miss the free exploration of BG1 and I got a bit tired of the constant epic battles near the end.

Since I have not played BG1 since it came out about 10 years ago Im going to play it again.

Question;

Is this mod recommended?

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index. ... Itemid=114

I am basically looking for any additional content to add to the game that won't mess up the original game. I hear that TUTU messes up the balance so dont think im going to use that.

Andhaira

Arcane
Just use tutu. Trust me, after bg2 playing with bg1's resolution and interface will be torture.

Its not unbalanced at all; the thing is you can use bg2 kits in bg1, but in the end it really doesn't matter. No kit is as powerful as fighter/mage multiclass so you will be fine.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do not use Tutu; it unbalances the game and has many bugs. If you wish to enjoy BG 1, do not use Tutu. This comes from someone who tried that terrible piece of software - and who was terribly and utterly disappointed.

It is extremely unbalanced, especially the way the spells work. Mirror image, for example, is one of the main reasons why Tutu is terrible. Though the savegame corruption in Beregost also helps cement my point.

Andhaira

Arcane
Easytutu has solved allthose problems. Its also sovled the gree water issue when using 3d acceleration.

Use easytutu. *waves hand hypnotically*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
In fact, the EasyTutu download page explicitly warns about the dangers of savegame corruption near Beregost and admonishes the user to use many different savegames when in and around that town.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes it does. It tells you how to deal with that very minor issue. Only a dickhead uses a single saveslot in an epic rpg.

The download page also explicity explains how easytutu is stable, tested and virtually bugfree, with the 2 minot bugs listed and their solutions explained.

the download page also says how easytutu does not make any changes to the bg1 and bg2 original installations on your hardrive.

So you would be selling yourself short by not using this and playing with the older rezo and non-transparentable interface.

Use Easytutu for a fully epic experiance. *waves finger hypnotically*

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, I dont really care about kits and the interface and resolution improvements that TUTU offers, im not a graphics guy and I honestly liked the look and feel of BGI better than BGII.

I don't think im going to use TUTU...

I am mostly just looking for any additional world content and added quests.

I might use the unfinished business mods that adds thing that were removed back into the original game. Doing this alway makes me worry about messing up the game though.

Andhaira

Arcane
''Hmm, I dont really care about kits and the interface and resolution improvements that TUTU offers, im not a graphics guy and I honestly liked the look and feel of BGI better than BGII. ''

In that case play the game vanilla and don't use any mods.The only other mod worth playing is the one by dgaider for bg2 which increases combat difficulty.

Murk

Arcane
If you plan to be at all gamerist about it you may want an xp cap remover.

my theif is stuck at level 11 and can't go up any higher and I havn't even done the bandit's camp yet...

Saxon1974

Prophet
It sounds like there aren't any mods that add quests or world content worth installing then?

I will probably just play BG vanilla then.

Thanks for the responses.

Murk

Arcane
Possibly "dark side of the sword coast" ?

I never played it. Personally I think the game is enough with Tales of the Sword Coast installed that you'll have fun your cake and take a bite too.

Murk

Arcane
Durlag's tower is a major long dungeon crawl, I hope you like traps!

dragonfk

Erudite
Jasede said:
Do not use Tutu; it unbalances the game and has many bugs. If you wish to enjoy BG 1, do not use Tutu. This comes from someone who tried that terrible piece of software - and who was terribly and utterly disappointed.

It is extremely unbalanced, especially the way the spells work. Mirror image, for example, is one of the main reasons why Tutu is terrible. Though the savegame corruption in Beregost also helps cement my point.

QFT

Saxon1974

Prophet
dragonfk said:
Jasede said:

QFT

What does QFT mean?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
An abbreviation for "quoted for truth". He wants to agree with me without wanting to resort to a lengthy or explanatory post.

I sometimes do the same, but I leave the QFT out and just quote the post. Must be from reading SASS too much.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jasede said:
An abbreviation for "quoted for truth". He wants to agree with me without wanting to resort to a lengthy or explanatory post.

I sometimes do the same, but I leave the QFT out and just quote the post. Must be from reading SASS too much.

Thank you. I learned something new today, I guess im glad I got out of bed then.

Saxon1974

Prophet
You know playing these BG games made me realize I don't like the more current games very much. NWN 1 and 2 were very average and even though I liked MOTB alot I still enjoy BGI and BGII more. I just hope that with the recent success of MOTB and hopefully the success of Mysteries of Westgate that the next batch of forgotten realms games continue with the good atmosphere and storyline.

I really like the forgotten realms world so I hope for more good games from that campaign. I know alot of you don't like the Forgotten Realms, so sorry hope I dont start a boring thread for you :)

TrustNo1

Scholar
An annoyance I just had with this game (BG1) is the available pc portraits. Now, I really like them, but the portrait pool is shared with the recruitable npcs. Now what happens is that out of the available there are only a pair that I actually want to use, but those belong to npcs. Since I have played it some before, I have grown somewhat attached to how they look, and with me occupying the portrait, they will change the npc to a "second pick" alternative, and that just becomes to jarring to me. For example they change Xan to some halfling, and Kivan get this cheery and gay look. I ended up using custom portrait from NWN, since it has a somewhat similar style and doesn`t seem to out of place.

I know it is a purely cosmetic issue, but I`m one of those that could never name a character "Jack Bauer" and play through a game, so this is serious business!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom