Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyway, please...

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Grunker said:
I'm not saying SCII's price-tag is unfair. And as long as I get the quantity of content I would expect (24+ missions),

Even 24 missions is much higher than normaly accepted quanity today, when one shit campaign as a tutorial for multiplayer is a norm.

What I'm saying is it's a shit argument to say that Blizzard are somehow good guys for doing they above.
They are not, they are just adapting to the market.

It's producers of the rest of the shit that are bad guys.
I am not sure i would be so willing to accept Blizzrd's decision if not for the actions of the "bad guys"...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hamster said:
Wow, why didn't car manufactures ever come up with such a brilliant idea? Where's my 40.000$ car that europeans pay 120.000$ for?
Hahaha. Typical pro-publisher propaganda. You can't copy cars as cheaply as games, so their prices will be dictated by stuff like prices of labour, materials, etc.
Games are worthless. They have no utility, can torrented for free, etc. their value is completely subjective. You don't even need effort to create another copy of game in opposition to working several times more to buy it. They aren't losing anything by selling you another copy of a game, you are losing your work by buying them, so you should respect your work more than their games.
If you buy a car, they are losing a car and can't sell it anywhere else.

Hamster said:
Then by your logic we should have good localisations in games already, but we don't. While movies that don't have "eastern european discount" on ticket prices have pretty good localisations.
How do you know that more money goes to the translation team, not to the pockets of the Westerners? Maybe there are other factors involved?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hamster said:
Wow, why didn't car manufactures ever come up with such a brilliant idea? Where's my 40.000$ car that europeans pay 120.000$ for?
Hahaha. Typical pro-publisher propaganda. You can't copy cars as cheaply as games, so their prices will be dictated by stuff like prices of labour, materials, etc.
Games are worthless. They have no utility, can torrented for free, etc. their value is completely subjective. You don't even need effort to create another copy of game in opposition to working several times more to buy it. They aren't losing anything by selling you another copy of a game, you are losing your work by buying them, so you should respect your work more than their games.
If you buy a car, they are losing a car and can't sell it anywhere else.
Ok, games are worthless and should not be payed for. How is it related to the budget for localisation?

How do you know that more money goes to the translation team, not to the pockets of the Westerners? Maybe there are other factors involved?

Maybe. But given the positive example from movie industry i think budget is much more likely cause.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hamster said:
Ok, games are worthless and should not be payed for. How is it related to the budget for localisation?
That you won't end up with a higher localisation budget because the sales will drop sharply and you'll end up with the same or lesser income because of that. The same reason why games in the west don't cost 150$ for a copy.

Hamster said:
Maybe. But given the positive example from movie industry i think budget is much more likely cause.
So, are your movie translators earning the same money as German/French movie translators? And while at it are you earning the same as a person doing the same job in the West? If not, are doing a shitty work? Are you a lousy worker, Hamster? Do you intentionally hold back, counting that one day your boss is going to pay the same as in the West?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hamster said:
That you won't end up with a higher localisation budget because the sales will drop sharply and you'll end up with the same or lesser income because of that. The same reason why games in the west don't cost 150$ for a copy.
The idea is to rise the price gradualy.
400 rubles in 2010
500 rubles in 2011
700 rubles in 2012
etc.

Do you intentionally hold back, counting that one day your boss is going to pay the same as in the West?
No, but i don't see the connection. What you are trying to say is that localisators should work just as good as western ones, but they are not, thats the problem. And the ones in the movie industry do their job well.

Tails

Arbiter
Hamster said:
2) I don't see how your argument is different from mine. 30 is more missions than most recent games, DoW being just the worst offender
So far it's only numbers, you can't be sure how time consuming those missions will be. They could make 30 missions that will be on the same time consuming level like 10 missions. Time shows how it will be in reality.

Black

Arcane
So Hamster called Skyway out and got raped?
Nice plot twist.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Tails said:
Hamster said:
2) I don't see how your argument is different from mine. 30 is more missions than most recent games, DoW being just the worst offender
So far it's only numbers, you can't be sure how time consuming those missions will be. They could make 30 missions that will be on the same time consuming level like 10 missions. Time shows how it will be in reality.

But it is acceptable to charge full price for 10 missions.

Tails

Arbiter
Hamster said:
Then why you complain about DoW with ten/eleven missions? ;) My point was more about situation when those 30 mission will be time consuming like ten from first Starcraft. Somehow I'm not convinced that Blizzard is able to make awesome 30 mission campaign for one race which will take long time to beat.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Tails said:
Hamster said:
Then why you complain about DoW with ten/eleven missions?
I meant that 10 missions are acceptable for majority of gamers, not for me.

My point was more about situation when those 30 mission will be time consuming like ten from first Starcraft. Somehow I'm not convinced that Blizzard is able to make awesome 30 mission campaign for one race which will take long time to beat.
Well, it will suck, but any game can turn out to be shit in the end. So far we have a promise of 30 missions and it is more than enough to charge 50$ for this game. If the content will not satisfy us, then we can be rightly nerdraged by it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAY WOULD BITCH IF HE WON FREE BLOWJOBS FOR A YEAR HE WOULD COMPLAIN THAT THE GIRL WAS TOO FAT OR HEW WASN'T USED TO WOMEN OR THAT UKARAINE WOMEN HAVE NO TEETH OR SOMETHING STUPID

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
BLOBERT said:
BRO SKYWAY WOULD BITCH IF HE WON FREE BLOWJOBS FOR A YEAR HE WOULD COMPLAIN THAT THE GIRL WAS TOO FAT OR HEW WASN'T USED TO WOMEN OR THAT UKARAINE WOMEN HAVE NO TEETH OR SOMETHING STUPID
:lol:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Hey man I don't mind paying full price just so that they will release a game with multiple languages (english and russian at least - even dirty pirates that Fargus were did that) and the ability to patch it in the same moment when the patch comes out and not half of a year later like the fucking 1C does (which is unfortunately a publisher for SC2).

But when we will gradualy force all eastern european gamers to buy games at proper prices localisation budgets will rise and localisations will no longer be crappy.
Are you that naive? Russian publishers don't have a single capable actor and sound engineer of doing even a bearable-to-mediocre localization (while in english version when soldier talks you f.e. can clearly hear that he's using a radio for that - in a russian version it sounds like he's sitting in the fucking sound recording studio and has no emotions at all. There can be an apocalypse going on on the screen and horrible faggot will talk like nothing's happening). Considering that they use the same bunch of actors for every game I don't believe getting a price higher will fix anything.

Yeah, localisations suck, everybody knows that, nobody asked you to prove this once again.

The problem is that Blizzard started moving in the right derection - teaching people in Eastern Europe that to get the same service they have to pay the same price. Your answer was a usual angry rant. That makes no sense.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Oh, damn. I just realised something. If for skyway all games are shit then no such thing as improvement can exist for him. When i was proposing to pay more for better quality, from his point of view i was proposing to pay more for something that do not exist. Now it all makes sense, i should have understood that sooner.

But when we will gradualy force all eastern european gamers to buy games at proper prices localisation budgets will rise and localisations will no longer be crappy.

[...]

The idea is to rise the price gradualy.
400 rubles in 2010
500 rubles in 2011
700 rubles in 2012
etc.

wishful thinkan

if they're already choosing to buy games for 1/3 of the price intead of full price, you aren't going to "force" them to do anything. They'll just pirate and use private servers or something. By gradually raising the price, you'll just have gradually less buyers.

Also, more budget doesn't necessarily mean more quality. You're assuming they'd be willing / able to use the budget wisely and not just waste it on vodka and 8 women, all called Natasha.

There's also the (already mentioned) problem of there being like 5 actors in all of Russia, and paying them more won't improve their talent (and the field is probably not attractive enough to attract new actors, even if the payment gets better)

Marsal

Arcane
Why are you arguing about translations, you bunch of faggots?! There is a simple solution for that "problem": abolish all fucking translations. I always nerd rage when someone translates the interface of an app to my native language, sets it to default and has the audacity to claim it as a feature (I have to navigate through 5 fucking menus of jibberish to change it to English). When I have to work on a OS that had its interface "translated", I just sob quietly as I try to visualize the English interface and guess the commands, because the words on the screen make no sense whatsoever.

English is fine. More than fine. It's great. It's de facto a standard of communication in civilized society. Learn to read it, learn to speak it! That's why we're having this "discussion" in English and not scribbling some hieroglyphs. Better luck in next wave of wars and colonization. English language won, let's just gg and not be dicks about it.

Everything should come in English (and preferably English only). See the example of The Witcher. The Polish bitches commented at length how good the voice acting and writing is, but the translation was at best horrible. We wouldn't have had that problem, if it were written and originally made in English.

I'd have all the faggy law makers that demand every piece of imported stuff and *especially* software be translated executed for dumbing down the population. You don't speak English? Well tough luck. Go get an education. You are probably too stupid to comprehend the media you're about to consume, so no loss there.

Fuck them and fuck you for wanting "quality" translations. Not possible, never going to happen. Even if they, by some miracle, made a perfect translation, it would still be shit, because your stupid barbaric language is shit. And my stupid barbaric language is shit. It may be fine for our little in-talks and great for producing imaginative curses and obscenities, but it's generally shit. Just like your cars are shit. You can drive around in your 2 tonne Lada, read the little cyrillic manual for it and be vaguely satisfied, but deep down you know it's shit. And it'll always be shit. So finish you bottle of vodka and forget about this topic.

Samuel, help me out BRO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

If not, go fuck yourself!

/Skyway

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Marsal said:
Why are you arguing about translations, you bunch of faggots?! There is a simple solution for that "problem": abolish all fucking translations.
I agree with you, bro, but how can this be done?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom