Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyway, please...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hamster said:
So i was looking at poor bastrads nerdraging on ag.ru forums and who do i find there? Our elitist friend skyway aka Metalcraze:
Could this be an indication that Skyway is a reflection of the typical AG poster?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Clockwork Knight said:
But when we will gradualy force all eastern european gamers to buy games at proper prices localisation budgets will rise and localisations will no longer be crappy.

[...]

The idea is to rise the price gradualy.
400 rubles in 2010
500 rubles in 2011
700 rubles in 2012
etc.

wishful thinkan

if they're already choosing to buy games for 1/3 of the price intead of full price, you aren't going to "force" them to do anything. They'll just pirate and use private servers or something. By gradually raising the price, you'll just have gradually less buyers.
I am pretty sure it's not wishful thinking becasue i am observing big progress in this area lately. There are now more expensine collectors editions released for most games and even overpriced console games(up to 100$) are geting some sales. I think that if publishers werent reasonably sure that they will make more money by increasing prices, they wouldn't be doing it.

Also, more budget doesn't necessarily mean more quality. You're assuming they'd be willing / able to use the budget wisely and not just waste it on vodka and 8 women, all called Natasha.
More budget resulted in more quality for movie industry. I still remember times when they used subtitles and now we have pretty good translations for most movies.

There's also the (already mentioned) problem of there being like 5 actors in all of Russia, and paying them more won't improve their talent (and the field is probably not attractive enough to attract new actors, even if the payment gets better)
Movie industry solved this problem.

Black

Arcane
Marsal said:
English is fine. More than fine. It's great. It's de facto a standard of communication in civilized society. Learn to read it, learn to speak it! That's why we're having this "discussion" in English and not scribbling some hieroglyphs. Better luck in next wave of wars and colonization. English language won, let's just gg and not be dicks about it.
o/
o/
o/
o/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIAw6LkqlE

English is fine. More than fine. It's great. It's de facto a standard of communication in civilized society. Learn to read it, learn to speak it! That's why we're having this "discussion" in English and not scribbling some hieroglyphs. Better luck in next wave of wars and colonization. English language won, let's just gg and not be dicks about it.

Cecil1.jpg
[/img]

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Blackadder said:

Cecil1.jpg
[/img]
The English are so English, that Scots are in the top positions of their country.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Hamster said:
The problem is that Blizzard started moving in the right derection - teaching people in Eastern Europe that to get the same service they have to pay the same price. Your answer was a usual angry rant. That makes no sense.
Then go to your employer and demand the same price for the services you're doing to him as in the West. If they don't agree, try to provide the services that are proportionally inferior. I bet you would end up being unemployed pretty fast.

Anyway, I used to buy localised western-prices games in Poland. And guess what? The localisation was usually shit. They took top cinema and theatre actors which voiced the characters all wrong. For example in BG1/BG2. When I have compared Polish voices and English voices, they have made completely different impression about the characters.
For example, in Polish, Gorion sounded like a senile old man while in the English version he sounded like a bad-ass Sean Connery type, Viconia sounded like a poet and romantic, while in English she sounded like a complete bitch.
Anyway, localizations are horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

relootz

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Blackadder said:

Cecil1.jpg
[/img]
The English are so English, that Scots are in the top positions of their country.

It seems that you have forgotten who your masters are Wyrmlord.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Wyrmlord said:
Hamster said:
So i was looking at poor bastrads nerdraging on ag.ru forums and who do i find there? Our elitist friend skyway aka Metalcraze:
Could this be an indication that Skyway is a reflection of the typical AG poster?

No, AG.ru is a big popular gaming forum so most of people there are next-gen popamole retards. Whats worse is that due to the size of the forum, administration is forced to recruit fanboys as moderators of dedicated sections and it usualy leads to criticism being prohibited.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:

Holy shit, they just get better and better.

Marsal said:
Why are you arguing about translations, you bunch of faggots?! There is a simple solution for that "problem": abolish all fucking translations. I always nerd rage when someone translates the interface of an app to my native language, sets it to default and has the audacity to claim it as a feature (I have to navigate through 5 fucking menus of jibberish to change it to English). When I have to work on a OS that had its interface "translated", I just sob quietly as I try to visualize the English interface and guess the commands, because the words on the screen make no sense whatsoever.

Everything should come in English (and preferably English only). See the example of The Witcher. The Polish bitches commented at length how good the voice acting and writing is, but the translation was at best horrible. We wouldn't have had that problem, if it were written and originally made in English.

I'd have all the faggy law makers that demand every piece of imported stuff and *especially* software be translated executed for dumbing down the population. You don't speak English? Well tough luck. Go get an education. You are probably too stupid to comprehend the media you're about to consume, so no loss there.

Fuck them and fuck you for wanting "quality" translations. Not possible, never going to happen. Even if they, by some miracle, made a perfect translation, it would still be shit, because your stupid barbaric language is shit. And my stupid barbaric language is shit. It may be fine for our little in-talks and great for producing imaginative curses and obscenities, but it's generally shit. Just like your cars are shit. You can drive around in your 2 tonne Lada, read the little cyrillic manual for it and be vaguely satisfied, but deep down you know it's shit. And it'll always be shit. So finish you bottle of vodka and forget about this topic.

Samuel, help me out BRO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

If not, go fuck yourself!

Shame there's no welshmen here for you to knock some sense into, they're continuously adding signs and teaching their shitty launguage, why? i have no idea, no foreigner is ever gonna learn it, or want to learn. I imagine it's just another clever ruse to bilk money out of the English, in fact that's all the union is for these days...trolling the english.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Btw, can anyone post a link to that thread where skyways game list from ag.ru was discovered?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom