Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I uninstalled NWN2Platinum last night, ironically.

I was trying to give MOTB my first try, but after 1 hour or so I found myself unable to cope with the awkward camera and controls anymore.

Actually, this is the first time in my gaming history that I give up on a game because of its controls. Also, annoyingly, I had the willpower to actually finish NWN2 when it was released, but can't bring myself to play anything based on that game anymore.

Hell, even DA:O had a better camera.

Von Paulus

Educated
Jools said:

I was trying to give MOTB my first try, but after 1 hour or so I found myself unable to cope with the awkward camera and controls anymore.

Actually, this is the first time in my gaming history that I give up on a game because of its controls. Also, annoyingly, I had the willpower to actually finish NWN2 when it was released, but can't bring myself to play anything based on that game anymore.

Yes. Quite frustrating.
Read this maybe it can help you:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... m=109&sp=0
Also:
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Camera

There's this mod that contains a new prestige class and about 166 fixes/additions/changes.
http://nwn2customcontent.wikidot.com/

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cynic said:
Btw CappenVarra thanks for your reply. I was looking at some clips of NWN1 on YouTube and graphics looked quite similar but are they worse?

Yeah Neeshka is fucked. Isn't there another rogue I can get? And since I'm evil I'm wondering where all the evil party members are. One thing I will always remember well about BG2 is being able to play a fully evil party who were kickass, Edwin, Korgan, Viconia..they were cool evil characters.

There are two evil characters IIRC; Bishop is a CE ranger and fairly boring unless you're playing a female PC in which case he gets this creepy obsession over you and it's hilarious, and

(This spoils all of chapter 2!)
Ammon Jerro, a NE or LE (I can't remember) Warlock. He's probably the best companion in the whole game in terms of writing. Yes, Bioware, this is how you should've written Loghain.

Also Quara is CN but she plays like CE. But she's annoying as fuck; just use Sand when you get him.

I don't get all the hate for Neeshka. But whatever. There are no other rogues in the game, so if you want to get all the loot (which really doesn't matter - you'll be swimming in gold by the end of the game anyway), you'll have to have somebody spam Knock or just break open locked chests (which breaks items).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Von Paulus said:
Jools said:

Yes. Quite frustrating.
Read this maybe it can help you:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... m=109&sp=0
Also:
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Camera

There's this mod that contains a new prestige class and about 166 fixes/additions/changes.
http://nwn2customcontent.wikidot.com/

Oh, thanks. When I feel like redownloading the whole thing, and after this Gothic2 run, I might give it another try. Cheerios.

Yeah I got the game thinking 10 euro why not, problem is it runs terrible with low frame rate even with pretty much all settings put down to minimum. Specs are Phenom 2 quad@ 2,8 ghz, ATI 4850, 6 GB of ram and video drivers are up to scratch. This is the first Obsidian game I've played and I've heard about them having certain technical problems but this is just silly. Looks like shit, runs like shit.

Well I've been trying to tweak the game a bit to make it run better, and I'll just post this picture.
lolwat.jpg

Obsidian can not into optimization.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Xor said:
Cynic said:
Btw CappenVarra thanks for your reply. I was looking at some clips of NWN1 on YouTube and graphics looked quite similar but are they worse?

Yeah Neeshka is fucked. Isn't there another rogue I can get? And since I'm evil I'm wondering where all the evil party members are. One thing I will always remember well about BG2 is being able to play a fully evil party who were kickass, Edwin, Korgan, Viconia..they were cool evil characters.

There are two evil characters IIRC; Bishop is a CE ranger and fairly boring unless you're playing a female PC in which case he gets this creepy obsession over you and it's hilarious

Yeah, I played through NWN2:OC and MotB as a female PC and the whole bishop fluff was fairly hilarious. His contribution to MotB's storyline is also pretty decent.

As for the caster chick, I used her all throughout the OC as I found Sand to be even more obnoxious.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Well I've been trying to tweak the game a bit to make it run better, and I'll just post this picture.
lolwat.jpg

Obsidian can not into optimization.

Uh. All those options are commented out. Look at the config file in your user directory.

Also, from my nwn.ini:
Code:
HiRezShadowMapSize=4096
LowRezShadowMapSize=4096

And the game runs 30+ fps outdoors :smug:

Xi

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Yeah I got the game thinking 10 euro why not, problem is it runs terrible with low frame rate even with pretty much all settings put down to minimum. Specs are Phenom 2 quad@ 2,8 ghz, ATI 4850, 6 GB of ram and video drivers are up to scratch. This is the first Obsidian game I've played and I've heard about them having certain technical problems but this is just silly. Looks like shit, runs like shit.

I recently built a computer that is similar to yours, but of course, a little bit nicer. I find that the game's shadows are what kill performance. Simply turn them off and max everything else. That worked for me. Looks like you've come to this realization already though.

:D

Edit:

For all those people really wanting to enjoy NWN 2, give SOZ a chance! The non-linear, open-world feel really hits home if you were a PNP player. Sure it still feels like NWN 2, but there's a lot more freedom. Not to mention, there are some seriously difficult encounters that the majority of players simply won't be able to tackle.

In the OC, the game becomes dull early on because there's really no challenge. You have to meet up with some odd monsters from the D&D monsters manual before you finally go, "holy shit, that's fucking tough!" Basically, either prep for them, or skip them and return later.

Also, you can create a character at any time, and bring them into your party(or remove characters) and the game will compensate by granting that character immediate levels. It allows you to get right down to business with the power gaming if you like that sort of thing. You can't replace your main character, but you can always replace cohorts and up to 3 party members.

MotB for story, SOZ for PNP open gameworld and freedom, and OC if you want to shoot yourself in the face with a shotgun. :thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would just like to take this opportunity to say fuck you to all of you in this thread for forcing me to re-install NWN2 on my computer.

Thrasher

Erudite
Cynic said:
Also is there some guide on the crafting somewhere? Not sure exactly how it works, so you get recipe books, collect crafting elements and then molds and you can make new stuff? How do you do special enchantments?

THIS is the best guide on crafting. It should answer most questions. There are some spreadsheets out there, too, which help if you really want to power game.

http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.php?pid=242

"Crafting is, in our opinion, one of the best parts of the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Campaign"

Cynic

Arcane
The Gentleman Loser said:
I started out as a wizard and ended up becoming an Arcane Trickster (Wizard/Rogue Hybrid) just to have the skills to replace her myself. I can't remember if there is another rogue NPC.

Oh, right, that's pretty cool I guess. But I was going to try an Eldritch Knight...hmm maybe I will just keep Neeshka around then.

I think one of my main gripes at the moment is that the companions are pretty forgettable in my books. Would have been nice to see more well thought out ones. Hopefully they are better in the MotB expansion?

But it's still fun. Anyone who is having issues with graphics, yes the shadows are evil. In both the normal graphics tab and the advanced graphics tab. On the desktop behemoth, turning all shadows up to max slices the frame rate down to like 20. I set all the advance shadows to medium and seriously there is no difference, I can't visibly see that it makes any difference whatsoever other than fucking my frame rate up. The regular shadows, I have them on max most of the time. In some of the larger out door areas if the performance takes a hit then I just drop them to medium and it's liquid again.

Camera, hmmm yeah it's a bit much at first. There are a lot of options for configuring it, but I've found that exploration mode is the most useful. Strategy mode is okay for combat. Character mode is really quite useless (maybe good for FPS type bros who need to be "close to the kills!"). Once your frame rate is bearable, I found that you pretty much have to set the speed of rotating to close to 0, other wise it's too fast and kind of jumps around.

Damn you work, I want to go destroy some lizardfolk!

Cynic

Arcane
Maybe steam is watching the Codex, and saw this thread and thought "PROFIT!"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Konjad said:
Jaesun said:
Xi said:
Jaesun said:
I would just like to take this opportunity to say fuck you to all of you in this thread for forcing me to re-install NWN2 on my computer.

:love:

7114.png

I also own a box THAT WAS ACTUALLY TOUCHED BY MCA'S HAND!!!!!!!!!

Strangely I see no semen on the box!
Do you really think a Codexer would be so sloppy that he'd forget to wipe the case after his prayers to MCA?

Cynic

Arcane
Hey just a question about Steam (can't post on their forum because I am in the "moderating queue" wtf?). So basically, I am running the game on a desktop that isn't connected to the net, so I am playing in offline mode. One thing I thought was cool about Steam, was that it was recording my game time, but does this not work if you play in offline mode? Is the info not getting saved somewhere? If I port the files back over to my laptop (online mode) will it automagically tell me how many hours I've played (not sure which files would be necessary for this...)

Multi-headed Cow

Nope, it only lists played time if you're in online mode. Steam achievements also generally don't work if you're in offline mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom