Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Cynic

Arcane
Damn that sucks...oh well...I don't really give a crap about achievements, but game time is important! Does NWN2 record this somewhere?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cynic said:
Damn that sucks...oh well...I don't really give a crap about achievements, but game time is important! Does NWN2 record this somewhere?

Your savegame will show the hours played IIRC.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goddammit Jaesun how did you end up with a signed copy of NWN2?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xor said:
Goddammit Jaesun how did you end up with a signed copy of NWN2?

In the old #nwn2 chatroom, Rob McGuiness had an impromptu "quiz/prize giveaway" in there and I won!

The chatroom there now is basically dead, and Rob left Obsidian a while ago. :(

Gord

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Yeah I got the game thinking 10 euro why not, problem is it runs terrible with low frame rate even with pretty much all settings put down to minimum. Specs are Phenom 2 quad@ 2,8 ghz, ATI 4850, 6 GB of ram and video drivers are up to scratch. This is the first Obsidian game I've played and I've heard about them having certain technical problems but this is just silly. Looks like shit, runs like shit.

Even on my previous pc, which had only a C2Duo 2.4Ghz and a Nvidia 9600GT I could run NWN2 with almost everything maxed out at 1440x900. There seems to be some serious issue with your pc and NWN2 here. Is that the only game that makes such problems?

Cynic

Arcane
It takes a little bit to configure. It is a performance hog for sure. I can run DA on my laptop at max for everything except AA and not take a hit to the FPS, but this game, I need to run it windowed to get a liquid frame rate and even then, I can't max the shadows or AA, it just chokes.

Cynic

Arcane
Not complaining, just stating. The game came out in 2007, the laptop is from 2010 and runs even modern games pretty damn well, so it's just a little weird that a game from '07 still has issues.

I'm playing it on a good desktop at the moment but might have to switch back to the laptop soon.

Thrasher

Erudite
I can run it on my 2 year old laptop on max settings. If I take down the shadow settings a notch it runs completely smooth.

Thrasher

Erudite
1920x1200 fullscreen.

I also played it at 1600x1200 in windowed mode.

Cynic

Arcane
Wow that's not bad, I am doing 1920 x 1080 and the FPS takes a huge hit with those settings. Frustrating because I can run other games fine...hmm

LordDenton

Augur
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Yeah I got the game thinking 10 euro why not, problem is it runs terrible with low frame rate even with pretty much all settings put down to minimum. Specs are Phenom 2 quad@ 2,8 ghz, ATI 4850, 6 GB of ram and video drivers are up to scratch. This is the first Obsidian game I've played and I've heard about them having certain technical problems but this is just silly. Looks like shit, runs like shit.
I had a less powerful system (Radeon 4850 512MB, Athlon X2 3.1GHz, and 4GB DDR2 RAM) when I played this, and the game was smoothly with everything on max except for soft shadows and one other option which I can't remember right now. :?

Thrasher

Erudite
OK, after firing it up after a year, I found out once again my memory sucks.

All shadow qualities are on medium.
Texture filtering on anistropic low.
Antialiasing is OFF
Softer Shadows is OFF
Render Far Shadows is OFF

Everthing else is MAX'ed.

Thrasher

Erudite
Try the above settings, and see if you get decent performance.

I may have tweaked a few things in my .ini file, too. The TweakGuide had some suggestions I tried out.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Cynic said:

Your savegame will show the hours played IIRC.

You are correct, sir. The time played for each savegame is visible both from the load and from the save menus.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah, just tried the settings out, they were quite close to what I had. I might just be being a bit too much of a performance fag. It's alright I guess, it's not LIQUID smooth, but it's smooth enough.

Thrasher

Erudite
The killers, IIRC, are anti-aliasing, shadows, and resolution. The rest had minor effects for me, I think.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah if it bugs me enough I will just drop the res and play windowed. All good. Just preparing myself for weening myself off the desktop because in a week's time I probably won't be able to use it anymore. It's always hard to have your standards destroyed.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Konjad said:
Jaesun said:
Xi said:
Jaesun said:
I would just like to take this opportunity to say fuck you to all of you in this thread for forcing me to re-install NWN2 on my computer.

:love:

7114.png

I also own a box THAT WAS ACTUALLY TOUCHED BY MCA'S HAND!!!!!!!!!

Strangely I see no semen on the box!
Do you really think a Codexer would be so sloppy that he'd forget to wipe the case after his prayers to MCA?

Dude your NWN 2 case is covered in bloom, no amount of MCA signatures can save it from that.

Cynic

Arcane
Just met Qara...fucking hell...how do I get that Bishop guy, he seems alright, I want to get rid of the fucking druid.

Esquilax

Arcane
Cynic said:
Just met Qara...fucking hell...how do I get that Bishop guy, he seems alright, I want to get rid of the fucking druid.

I disagree with most of the opinions on here about NWN2. I hated it and stopped shortly after the Trial section. Although even that was giving it way too much time. The characters in the game are awful and only get more irritating as time goes on. If you've got the stomach for it, finish it and get to playing some MotB instead. Miles above the OC.

poetic codex

Augur
If you're enjoying the OC right now at this point in time, then keep playing it. Don't let people tell you to skip somehting you're currently enjoying.

I don't understand the unabashed praise that MoTB gets. (Actually, it's because of the Torment comparisons and MCA worshipping, but still...)

MoTB has severe issues brought about primarily by the fact that it is epic-level D&D:

1. Spellcasters have immense spellbooks with an astounding variety of spells, most of which are not needed because of...

2. Poor encounter design doesn't force you to think about spell selection. You won't get to fight many enemies with distinctive resistances to overcome etc.

3. The ridiculous high level loot. When every weapon is a "+ 20-vorpal-sword-of-one-hit-snicker-snacking !!!", it kind of takes away the charm of finding powerful weapons.

4. the high level combat is a frantic fast-paced mess of christmas lights (spell effects) blinding the screen and you won't see what's going on until either the enemies or you are dead.

I probably would have enjoyed MoTB if the epic-level D&D didn't get in the way.

------------------------------------------------

The OC does have a lot of legitimate bad points too, especially later on, but my point stands that if you're liking the old-school D&D charm of the low-level OC, then by all means keep playing

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cynic said:

You'll get Bishop at the climax to chapter 1. You still have a ways to go if you're just meeting Qara.
You'll know you're nearly there when you get into Blacklake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom