Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Deleted member 7219

Also, in MotB you actually meet and speak with a defeated god.

Captain Shrek

J_C said:
Captain Shrek said:
Why the fuck you guys like HoTU??? It was plain stupid game with bad story. mephisto really??? There is no way you should be able to defeat him. Its like defeating a god.
Wouldn't be the first time in the Forgotten Realms. (Times of Troubles anyone?)

Time of trouble gods were rendered almost powerless by Ao. By Almost I mean they were weak compared to their original selves. And even then they were not always killed by random epic dudes. Midnight was chosen of Mystra, so was Elminster. And Cyric was carrying the avatar of Mask in his hand.

MotB:

But he was a DEAD god and you were Spirit Eater, a force so unnatural that even gods feared you.

Gord

Arcane
It's not impossible in D&D terms to defeat a god if your hero is powerful enough. D&D gods are closer to gods of greek mythology than the god of monotheistic religions like christianity, i.e. not almighty or omniscient at all, at least outside of their realm.
And certainly not above mortal vice.
Originally even levels around 15 were supposed to be fucking high, nothing of that epic levels shit which ultimately only breaks balance.

So yes, in D&D a powerful hero could defeat a god under the right circumstances.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah definitely in D&D you could get powerful enough to kill gods or kings of the underworld. Brings back fond memories of the first monster manual and those cool occult style hand drawings of all the demons.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Captain Shrek said:
Why the fuck you guys like HoTU??? It was plain stupid game with bad story. mephisto really??? There is no way you should be able to defeat him. Its like defeating a god. Also, it was very much a grinding game.

Bro I was in a D&D campaign where we killed Asmodean along with several other rulers of Baator. It's very doable with their official stats if you're high enough level (we were 30+ at that point).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Gord said:
It's not impossible in D&D terms to defeat a god if your hero is powerful enough. D&D gods are closer to gods of greek mythology

This. In D&D and Greek mythology, gods got spanked all the time (see: everything about Ares) but to go to their home and kill them was another matter. Orcus was supposed to go to the Prime Material all the time (or was that his wand?) to spread chaos. The gods in D&D were revered and all that, but the stats and powers for them were still attainable by player characters. (Except Death in ... uh... Malnabonian mythos or whatever, had like instant death on touch -10 save (before all the immunity to death magic bullshit in 3rd edition.))

Cynic

Arcane
Daemongar said:
Gord said:
It's not impossible in D&D terms to defeat a god if your hero is powerful enough. D&D gods are closer to gods of greek mythology

This. In D&D and Greek mythology, gods got spanked all the time (see: everything about Ares) but to go to their home and kill them was another matter. Orcus was supposed to go to the Prime Material all the time (or was that his wand?) to spread chaos. The gods in D&D were revered and all that, but the stats and powers for them were still attainable by player characters. (Except Death in ... uh... Malnabonian mythos or whatever, had like instant death on touch -10 save (before all the immunity to death magic bullshit in 3rd edition.))

^ :salute:

Well I just had a pretty hilarious conversation with Khelgar about his fighting. I like him more now. He has been promoted from bullshit to tolerable.

Just got the gnome, seems more interesting than Neeshka, so she's out for now.

Also, where the hell are the evil companions? They are all chaotic good or neutral good...

Sannom

Augur
There are only two, and they're not the evil you might be accustomed with. One is a 'realistic' kind of evil, and the other one lacks some selfishness.

Gord

Arcane
I found the Gnome quite funny, at least he has a few nice cutscenes.

He's no Jan Jansen, but still...

Sannom said:
There are only two, and they're not the evil you might be accustomed with. One is a 'realistic' kind of evil, and the other one lacks some selfishness.

And Neeshka's much more of a 'ready to jump to evil if pushed' character the 'slightly reluctant good' that neutrals are usually portrayed as in crpgs - depends on events over the game, and influence.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn't stand the gnome. I've never used him except for
making the construct. It's also helpful to have his influence over...6 I think it was so the construct doesn't betray you in the final battle.

Sannom

Augur
Gord said:

What I prefer about him are his interactions with Khelgar. They have some funny banter in the abandoned dwarf stronghold near the Orc Caves, like when they meet Khelgar's clan or the 'unit of measurement' thing.

Xor said:
making the construct. It's also helpful to have his influence over...6 I think it was so the construct doesn't betray you in the final battle.

It's
Bishop whose influence you have to keep relatively high so that the construct doesn't betray you at the end.

Cynic

Arcane
So far the gnome is pretty hilarious. Neeshka is the worst companion imo so far. Rogue's can be done so well, it's a shame she is so shit

Cynic

Arcane
Okay, I am beginning to see why people say Obsidian games are fucking bugged.

So I just completed the Bonegnasher cave, killed the leader, found the Emmisary to be fake and killed his ass too. Now I am trying to leave and go back to the Old Owl Well. I click on that place, select travel and a dialog box comes up saying, you have encountered something during your travels. Okay all well and good so I click okay, and then nothing. I'm just back at the cave exit.

Okay so I try to leave again. "Unable to move due to a status effect"

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT?

So I try moving with a companion. It works, I get to the Old Owl Well, but I thought...that's weird I must have missed something there. So I look online at the FAQ and I see that there is meant to be an encounter with a new NPC there?! WTF!? I've quick saved just before exiting the cave. Even if I reload and exit, it does the same shit. I'll try quitting the game and reloading, see if that does anything but fuck this is annoying!

Radisshu

Prophet
Sannom said:
Gord said:

What I prefer about him are his interactions with Khelgar. They have some funny banter in the abandoned dwarf stronghold near the Orc Caves, like when they meet Khelgar's clan or the 'unit of measurement' thing.

Xor said:

It's
Bishop whose influence you have to keep relatively high so that the construct doesn't betray you at the end.

No, it's
Both of them. If Bishop tries making the Construct turn on you, but Grobnar's influence is high enough, it won't work.

Cynic

Arcane
Cynic said:
Okay, I am beginning to see why people say Obsidian games are fucking bugged.

So I just completed the Bonegnasher cave, killed the leader, found the Emmisary to be fake and killed his ass too. Now I am trying to leave and go back to the Old Owl Well. I click on that place, select travel and a dialog box comes up saying, you have encountered something during your travels. Okay all well and good so I click okay, and then nothing. I'm just back at the cave exit.

Okay so I try to leave again. "Unable to move due to a status effect"

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT?

So I try moving with a companion. It works, I get to the Old Owl Well, but I thought...that's weird I must have missed something there. So I look online at the FAQ and I see that there is meant to be an encounter with a new NPC there?! WTF!? I've quick saved just before exiting the cave. Even if I reload and exit, it does the same shit. I'll try quitting the game and reloading, see if that does anything but fuck this is annoying!

Okay, restarting the game fixed it. Phew. Really didn't want to do that cave full of trash mobs again. But then my party is super OP'd already now so I am mowing them down like cheap cannon fodder. Fun times.

Halberd wielding fighter mages...there is something very awesome about them.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Captain Shrek said:
Why the fuck you guys like HoTU??? It was plain stupid game with bad story. mephisto really??? There is no way you should be able to defeat him. Its like defeating a god. Also, it was very much a grinding game.

I always thought that SoU was much better as it kept the gamplay on lower levels (15 was max for me I think). Except when I played as a wizard and had to fight those fucking nasty Golems in Undrentide. Thank goodness for bad AI.

Yeah, it's already been mentioned that high-level D&D is ridiculous, with epic levels reaching... well, epic levels of ridiculousness :) Also, defeating Mephistopheles in combat was the stupid choice -
the classy way to end HotU was to use his True Name to compel him to GTFO ;)

And SoU had that proper low level feel, when every single new item and feat makes a difference - it was definitely one of its better aspects. D&D levels 1-10 (preferably with that variant multi-classing rule) are always the most interesting in D&D 3.x imho. All right, I'll allow level 12 as end-game, but anything higher usually just gets boring and munchkiny... I won't even mention the ridiculous amounts of magic items lying around like so much potatoes - I won't mention it - yeah, I definitely won't say a word about it, I... Uhm :/

Data4

Arcane
Von Paulus said:
Jools said:
I uninstalled NWN2Platinum last night, ironically.

I was trying to give MOTB my first try, but after 1 hour or so I found myself unable to cope with the awkward camera and controls anymore.

Actually, this is the first time in my gaming history that I give up on a game because of its controls. Also, annoyingly, I had the willpower to actually finish NWN2 when it was released, but can't bring myself to play anything based on that game anymore.

Hell, even DA:O had a better camera.
Yes. Quite frustrating.
Read this maybe it can help you:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... m=109&sp=0
Also:
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Camera

There's this mod that contains a new prestige class and about 166 fixes/additions/changes.
http://nwn2customcontent.wikidot.com/

The download links in that thread are dead. Any idea where I can get the "no 4th mouse button" version of the app?

Cynic

Arcane
Yep I'm liking this game. On max settings it's really quite a sight to look at. The encounter design is a bit flawed though. There's really no reason to choose a lot of spells because fighting is so frequent and against so many, that the only spells you would really use are big damaging crowd control spells. I have to say though, this has got to have the best version of "lightning bolt" in any game, ever. Very satisfying to shoot it through a line of enemies and watch them fry.

They could have had less fighting though, it really gets to an unnecessary level in terms of frequency and number of enemies. I was REALLY getting sick of doing chores for the thieves. I was so fucking powerful by the time i was halfway through them that thought, "wait why can't i just kill all of these guys and walk into blacklake myself?". Also, what's with using the gith again? Doesn't the Forgotten Realms have anything else? Didn't we do a whole enormous thing against them in BGII to get their damn Vorpal Sword?

Gord

Arcane
Cynic said:
Also, what's with using the gith again? Doesn't the Forgotten Realms have anything else? Didn't we do a whole enormous thing against them in BGII to get their damn Vorpal Sword?

Guess it's for the "look who's back" feel. But yeah, they are in the game, again, and there's some story with a sword of them, again...
Makes you wonder, if their swords are so fucking important to them, why do they keep on loosing them?

Cynic

Arcane
It's just disappointing, with all the variety there is in the D&D universe, why they'd choose to go with them again is just beyond me. It's not like they couldn't have replaced them with some other bad guys either. They're not even using their psionics against me so they really could have been just anyone. Draconians teleporting in from the dragonlance world would have been cooler.

Radisshu

Prophet
Cynic said:
It's just disappointing, with all the variety there is in the D&D universe, why they'd choose to go with them again is just beyond me. It's not like they couldn't have replaced them with some other bad guys either. They're not even using their psionics against me so they really could have been just anyone. Draconians teleporting in from the dragonlance world would have been cooler.

Because the Sword of Gith is the only reason those NPC's chose the protagonist from NWN2 OC in the first place? It's what ties the games together.

Gord said:
Cynic said:
Also, what's with using the gith again? Doesn't the Forgotten Realms have anything else? Didn't we do a whole enormous thing against them in BGII to get their damn Vorpal Sword?

Guess it's for the "look who's back" feel. But yeah, they are in the game, again, and there's some story with a sword of them, again...
Makes you wonder, if their swords are so fucking important to them, why do they keep on loosing them?

The one bit of meta dialogue I remember laughing at in that game was where they tell you about the sword: 'Wait...this happens so often that you have a specific word for it?'

Cynic

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Gord said:
Cynic said:

The one bit of meta dialogue I remember laughing at in that game was where they tell you about the sword: 'Wait...this happens so often that you have a specific word for it?'

No no, it's even funnier than that, it happens so often they have special troops who are in charge of retrieving swords!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom