Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So just in case you wanted customisation in D3

The_scorpion

Liturgist
this is so next-gen

*sigh*

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Yeah, 'cause a high strength barbarian is like so fucking unrealistic and gimmicky. I'm now officially a former fan of Diablo, that's fucking retarded. No stat customization and more focus on items, get the fuck out.

Cocksuckers.

Raapys

Arcane
Way too much WoW influence in this game.

I, for one, hate the level-based system in World of Warcraft that they're now implementing in Diablo3. Creating characters in skill-based mmorpgs like Anarchy Online is countless times more interesting and fun.

They're implementing a 'next-gen' mmorpg feature that was originally created to 1. Make balancing easier and 2. Help the game appeal to the masses by needing less thinking and planning.

And some of you guys are actually praising it. Way to go.

The Exar

Liturgist
Rat Keeng said:
Yeah, 'cause a high strength barbarian is like so fucking unrealistic and gimmicky. I'm now officially a former fan of Diablo, that's fucking retarded. No stat customization and more focus on items, get the fuck out.

Cocksuckers.

In D2 you can't do much with attributes. Strength and DEX are only useful for item requirements, energy is useful but 500 mana is always enough. All other points go to vitality. That's the same for each class. I can't say stats contribute much to diversity in Diablo.

And some of you guys are actually praising it. Way to go.

I don't think there's actually anyone here stupid enough to praise it. On the contrary, some people seem devastated, which is stupid.

Raapys

Arcane
The Exar said:
I don't think there's actually anyone here stupid enough to praise it. On the contrary, some people seem devastated, which is stupid.

Perhaps, but at least for my own part I thought Diablo 2 was just about perfect, and judging by the fact that the game is still easily the best and most popular hack'n'slash game out there, a decade after its release, I can't be the only one with that opinion.

There's just no need to make such fundamental changes. New game engine, classes, skills, items, areas, sure, go ahead. But 'power-ups', skill resets, unadjustable attributes and WoW-style graphics? No thanks.

At best this game will be just as good as Diablo 2 because of the simple fact that such a game can't get significantly better, but at worst these new 'features' will just make the game another poor imitation like the other countless clones out there.

The Exar

Liturgist
Raapys said:
The Exar said:

Perhaps, but at least for my own part I thought Diablo 2 was just about perfect, and judging by the fact that the game is still easily the best and most popular hack'n'slash game out there, a decade after its release, I can't be the only one with that opinion.

There's just no need to make such fundamental changes. New game engine, classes, skills, items, areas, sure, go ahead. But 'power-ups', skill resets, unadjustable attributes and WoW-style graphics? No thanks.

At best this game will be just as good as Diablo 2 because of the simple fact that such a game can't get significantly better, but at worst these new 'features' will just make the game another poor imitation like the other countless clones out there.

Fans want Diablo 3 to be Diablo 2 with little changes but shinier armor. This were exactly my thoughts until recently, when I had an argument with a friend about the "diablo 3 art controversy". I insisted that fans want a darker setting and that Blizzard should listen to the fans if they want their game to be a success. Games are just another market product. But my friend perceives games as product of art. He has a point. Now I think that these guys from the development team really want to create, not upgrade. They need a professional challenge, they want to set gaming standards in the genre. That's a worthy goal for a company like Blizzard and I praise them for that.

Of course I'm worried about the final product, about its quality and polish, but the new implementations might work greatly. Time will tell.

Also, for me Diablo 2 was Blizzard's only underperformance. The game needed a whole expansion and patch 1.10 to finally start looking like a complete product. And still, it has many flaws, one of them being the skill trees which have a lot of useless skills in them.

J1M

Arcane
Chork said:
Ah, who cares. Stat distribution in D2 consisted almost entirely of

1) Bare minimum in Str/Dex for your end gear
1a) Optional: Put enough points into Dex for max block
2) Everything else into Vit

The only time this changed was if you were playing some gimmick build.

Gerrard

Arcane
J1M said:
Chork said:

So instead of fixing it let's throw it away altogether!
Todd would be proud.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Reading comprehension, many of you are doing it wrong.

(they can assume players will have at least X in each stat by a given level). You still get attributes, and they will still be required for equipment use, but they are automatically assigned each level up. Thus every Wizard will have the same base str/vit/dex/etc as every other Wizard of the same level. Same for the Barb and WD.

I've bolded the important parts for the slow. They indicate that you still get to customize your char attributes, almost certainly via equipment, but the auto-allocation of base points means they can assume a certain baseline minimum.

Like, for example, if they build a mage item-set aimed at level 40 mages. Now they can assume that a level 40 mage has at least X strength, and build the set around that.

If you're playing a gimmick build, you'll probably have loads of +strength items for heavier armor, opening other options. Like I said, it seems they are shifting the focus to be even more strongly item-based.

How hard is this to understand? The one concept doesn't preclude the other. Why so much "bwah, I won't be able to play unusual build characters, Diablo is ruined for me!!!"?

There went any urge I had to get Diablo 3. I'm a number crunching fag when it comes to RPGs. If there's no numbers, I want no part.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Well... Nox also didn't let you allocate points into attributes and it was uberawesum.

But then again, it's not like the stats kind of mattered in that game.

Keep your fucking Sux, erm Nox outta my Diablo, will you? Dammit!

EDIT: IF do something along the lines of Kult - Heretic Kingdoms THEN I am fine with that.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Kingston said:
Claw said:
Naked Ninja said:
Take skills. The skill trees look simpler than D2, which I found disappointing.
You've seen the skill trees? Where?

Like here: http://www.diii.net/blog/comments/wizar ... -coverage/

I just saw that a few of the wizards talents increase melee damage. So presumably a "battlemage" is a viable build. That's plenty of variation right there, in my opinion. If they can up the amount of *viable, intended* builds by reducing the number of crazy builds, that's a good trade in my opinion.

Naked Ninja said:

(they can assume players will have at least X in each stat by a given level). You still get attributes, and they will still be required for equipment use, but they are automatically assigned each level up. Thus every Wizard will have the same base str/vit/dex/etc as every other Wizard of the same level. Same for the Barb and WD.

I've bolded the important parts for the slow. They indicate that you still get to customize your char attributes, almost certainly via equipment, but the auto-allocation of base points means they can assume a certain baseline minimum.

Like, for example, if they build a mage item-set aimed at level 40 mages. Now they can assume that a level 40 mage has at least X strength, and build the set around that.

If you're playing a gimmick build, you'll probably have loads of +strength items for heavier armor, opening other options. Like I said, it seems they are shifting the focus to be even more strongly item-based.

How hard is this to understand? The one concept doesn't preclude the other. Why so much "bwah, I won't be able to play unusual build characters, Diablo is ruined for me!!!"?

This is also a good point. It means the crazy builds are not out at all, just reduced.

I think this is fine. I always looked up how much stats I need for a particular build, and went with that. I'm ok with the game doing it for me now.

J1M

Arcane
Gerrard said:
J1M said:
Chork said:

Todd would be proud.
Offloading stat customization to items and charms *is* a fix. Go be dumb somewhere else.

Raapys

Arcane
J1M said:
Offloading stat customization to items and charms *is* a fix. Go be dumb somewhere else.

Charms and items can already be used for stat customization, so basically all they're doing is removing a feature/option. Calling it a fix is just ridiculous, since it doesn't actually fix anything. Nor could it, since nothing's broken.

if the drops are random, then it's not customization, it's more like randomization of character builds, you used to have a choise to pump the stat or use the items if you got them now you just have to hope for itumz.

J1M

Arcane
Desmodus Rotundus said:

if the drops are random, then it's not customization, it's more like randomization of character builds, you used to have a choise to pump the stat or use the items if you got them now you just have to hope for itumz.
l2trade

1eyedking

Erudite
Gerrard said:
J1M said:
Chork said:

Todd would be proud.
I'm with you here. Maybe if they made Strength and Dexterity add a small amount of HP as well, and Energy give a percentage bonus to damage/duration/effects of spells (as STR and DEX do to melee and ranged, respectively), finding the right stat balance would be much more interesting.

J1M said:
Stupid fix is stupid.

DoppelG

Scholar
Stat allocation was failed in D2 because of dumb item bonuses canceling out the need to put pretty much anything in anything except vitality.
The solution to fix this hurdle? Make items even more roxxorz and do away with stat allocation alltogether.
Maeks snese.

DoppelG

Scholar
Naked Ninja said:

Oh and ULTRA FAIL, items won't be having reqs anymore.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They just managed to remove most of the interest I had in this game. Now, all that there's left to hope for is it being a nice action game because they sure as hell gutted the rpg part.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Attribute points are not player-assignable in D3. They’re not in the blizzcon build, but we thought that was just to simplify things for new players at the show. Jay says no, that’s how it is in the game now. His explanation was that it makes items even more important, and that it lets the designers plan a bit better (they can assume players will have at least X in each stat by a given level). You still get attributes, and they will still be required for equipment use, but they are automatically assigned each level up. Thus every Wizard will have the same base str/vit/dex/etc as every other Wizard of the same level. Same for the Barb and WD.

DoppelG said:
Oh and ULTRA FAIL, items won't be having reqs anymore.

ULTRA EPIC READING FAIL

Anyway, stat-dumping was a problem with D1 and D2. ST and DX were just for requirements, DX was a bit better because it influenced block chance cumulative with shields. I think this move doesn't only help in balancing characters, it is actually a move to shift the focus on skills. Since in D1 and D2, skills weren't affected drastically by attributes, and assuming they still won't in D3, then the items themselves would customize the character. Sure, they're random, but I think they're improving the decisions the player make. If attribute increase relies on items, then it would be a harder decision to choose among items that improve skills mostly, items that improve secondary statistics (damage, resistance, etc) and items that improve attributes--since it would be really rare to find items that do all of these. Think of it as a trading card game, where each booster is random, and you choose a card to play on your deck considering cost, type of effect, long term and short term strategy.

DoppelG

Scholar
I remember seeing a recent interview with Bashiok stating that gear won't have any attribute reqs. Its almost too retarded to think possible so you might be right. (then again, dumping the possibility to allocate stats yourself is too, so, i don't know what to belief anymore) Need moar written validation.

[ULTRA] EDIT [/ULTRA]

Bashiok said:
First let me state that the interview article has an error in that “You still get attributes, and they will still be required for equipment use” is incorrect. I’ve already let the Diii.net guys know. There are no attribute requirements for items, that would essentially limit items to specific classes which we don’t intend to do outside of actual class specific items, like the Wizard’s off-hand orb for instance.

And with that i call upon thee SUPER DUPER ULTRA EPIC MEGA FAIL, kind sir. :twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom