Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, plenty of you wish to get 'updated' oldies, eh?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Gold Box games into ToEE engine.
[snip]
And improved AI would make the combats more challenging in better way.

How does the AI in ToEE compare to the AI of the Infinity Engine games? One thing I really like about the IE games is that the AI is moddable by editing the combat scripts attached to all monsters and NPCs, so they can be very challenging.

Zomg said:
gold box games - exactly the same except the journal is in the game and the inventory is better. Like I don't have to buy darts 4 at a time. Also make autobattle instantaneous. And make 50 new goldbox modules

Personally I'd much rather have a combat system with more options (more spells, items and abilities) and most importantly - better AI.
As for more GB modules, have you played all the FRUA ones yet?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The game I'd like to see redone is Dragon Wars. While I was originally thinking Wasteland, meh, it's fine how it is. It's still playable, so maybe people should leave it alone.

Why?
The game never really got a lot of attention. It wasn't bad, had an ok story, was fun, allowed for real multiple solutions to problems (real different options, like how you escape Purgatory. Do you want to be a slave and break out of an estate? Do you want to fight in the arena and get released? Do you want to hide as a corpse?) It also had a Wasteland type stat system and leveling system. The overhead map was very well done.

What engine?
The only one that I think could work without compromising too much of the game is the MM6-8 engine. This game can't be anything but turn based, and could use some embelished text (DW used the paragraph lookup system like in Wasteland.) It could also balance out the magic system as some were a little weak compared to others.

Why is this a good idea/better than the original?
Because very few people played the original. It came out at about the same time, or a little bit after the release of the Nintendo. After that, nobody really wanted C64 games anymore. It would be nice to reintroduce this game to new audiences, while not compromising the more charming features of the game. This is a game that is still very playable, but may put off new players with clunky elements like the paragraph text.

Zomg

Arbiter
octavius said:
GarfunkeL said:
[snip]

How does the AI in ToEE compare to the AI of the Infinity Engine games? One thing I really like about the IE games is that the AI is moddable by editing the combat scripts attached to all monsters and NPCs, so they can be very challenging.

Zomg said:
gold box games - exactly the same except the journal is in the game and the inventory is better. Like I don't have to buy darts 4 at a time. Also make autobattle instantaneous. And make 50 new goldbox modules

Personally I'd much rather have a combat system with more options (more spells, items and abilities) and most importantly - better AI.
As for more GB modules, have you played all the FRUA ones yet?

Have never messed with FRUA a bit, give me a top 5 and where to get them.

There is a limit to how good AD&D combat can get, at least without X-Com style expendable PCs; the ruleset is just dumb. A smart AI would be annoying as shit and pummel you with fireballs and save-or-die spells and force you to make everyone a mage so you can cast globe of annoying buff-erability over and over and over. So fuck it and just use the normal GB style of autobattle trash fights (but with instant autobattle) and then a boss set piece.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fallout/Fallout 2

1. Why does it need to be updated?
The animations are slow, and the combat is pretty roughl (needs simultaneous turns). Finding interactive objects falls under Pixel hunt as I don't recall the game possessing. Menus are a little cumbersome as well. Also, the annoying "unlocking" of the end turn/end combat display.

2. Into what form?/ What Engine?/ What kind of 'CRPG'?
The same, with possible new content optional. A modern over head turn based cRPG

3. Why your choice is a good idea and why it is better than the original.

Because it wouldn't have slow animations.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
deuxhero said:
(needs simultaneous turns).
No! :x

Just give running animation to all NPCs, specially the Melcar guys that have like 40 AP for movement and are always running away.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
octavius said:
GarfunkeL said:
[snip]

No idea but I don't want to play GB in RTwP if I have a chance to play them in ToEE.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DamnedRegistrations said:
Unfortunately, I believe that pic on the bottom right is from the genesis version, which cut out a bunch of the skills and generally dumbed things down. But at least it doesn't make my retinas wither.
See, I would rather my entire optical system wither than a single dumbing down. There is no "at least" - if it changes the gameplay in any way that isn't "the same but better" then it can go fuck itself.

I can forgive changes/dumbing downs to a limited extent when everything else is so damn good and/or improved on the original. Lazarus for example. Combat is a decline over U5 (which wasn't exactly awesome to begin with) but exploration, plotting, writing, quests and everything else are so good that it's a fantastic game and one of the best CRPG's of the past few years. HOWEVER, it is not a replacement for U5, by virtue of not complying with the conditions I outlined in my other post.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
While I agree the PC version is better for it's time (Genesis was released years later and I'd say it's merely on par with the PC version), Buck Rogers on the genesis was probably my first RPG. I have very fond memories of flying around the solar system blowing up Ram ships, or boarding and capturing them. It's hard to play the same game again when it looks like that. Imagine it this way: If someone took Fallout, gave it graphics like a goldbox game, but added 4-5 traits, would you rather play that or the original? Which would you recommend to other people?

Or take Nethack, and dumb it down by removing Valkyries, credit cards and keys. But give it a full suite of graphics, animations, music and sound effects. I think fluff still has some substance to it too. The plate needs to have meat and potatoes on it, but I don't see why you should give up every ounce of gravy for a quarter teaspoon of potatoes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
octavius said:
AI info right here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
With most of the truly older games (Goldbox, etc.) people have hit it on the head: just UI improvements.

MMXI

Arcane
Metro said:
With most of the truly older games (Goldbox, etc.) people have hit it on the head: just UI improvements.
And a Steam release.

:troll:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
jagged alliance patch 1.13 is a good indicator of which direction to go content and gameplay mechanics-wise

also look at xcomutil and the extender to get an idea

not updated for modern audiences that didn't play it

updated for the audience that played it and is still playing it

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Oooh I thought of one.

It would be nice if somebody went through all the classics that don't currently handle alt tabbing* and/or playing in a window properly and updated them to add this functionality.

Especially fixing alt tabbing.

* Certain games break if you tab out then tab back

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
as well as being able to run shit windowed in a directx wrapper and be able to scale it up nice and crisp with nearest neighbour interpolation

yes I know about that program

it doesn't like it when you alt tab sometimes too

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Pool of Radiance

So a new generation of people can feel its brilliance. I also have a theory that the game is so good that as long as you faithfully translate the content the style of the game doesn't matter. You could go full on Mass Effect style and it would still kick the shelves off the store. And more people would buy it.

Can I combine two engines?

I want action combat like the UFC games with D&D stats and Full Spectrum Warrior style party control.

The original would come with it. So you get both. The reason why its better is because it could capture what people who player the original could only fantasize about. Now in 3D you can see Norris the Grey's snarl, you can get body slammed by a troll and still fight tactical realistic squad based encounters from a game that had some of the best encounters ever.

MMXI

Arcane
We need to hide Kaanyrvhok's post from the games industry. Fast.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Zomg said:
Have never messed with FRUA a bit, give me a top 5 and where to get them.

There is a limit to how good AD&D combat can get, at least without X-Com style expendable PCs; the ruleset is just dumb. A smart AI would be annoying as shit and pummel you with fireballs and save-or-die spells and force you to make everyone a mage so you can cast globe of annoying buff-erability over and over and over. So fuck it and just use the normal GB style of autobattle trash fights (but with instant autobattle) and then a boss set piece.

I haven't played enough FRUA to name the 5 best, but most of the official, professionally made pen and paper modules have been converted to FRUA. Ray Dyer seems to be the main man of making FRUA modules.

What I'd like to see in possible updated GB games is fewer but smarter enemies, especially priests and mages. For example, instead of meeing 10-15 mages with very limited AI and abilities in Secret of the Silver Blades, I'd rather meet a smaller group that have the same abilities and AI as the "smarter mages" of the Sword Coast Stratagems mods for the Baldur's Gates games.
Also a paper doll system like in the IE games would be much more convenient that the cumbersome system used in the GB games.

Roguey said:
octavius said:
AI info right here.

Thanks. Seems like ToEE may have the same potential as the IE games when it comes to AI, but that it is not as well documented.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will use Daggerfall as an example.

Blackadder said:

Because it was a game with massive potential that was utterly wasted on a buggy cut and paste piece of shit that plays like a shitty fps and controls like a TB game (in other words, it's like a jrpg :troll:).

Someone mentioned zdoom/doomsday earlier. They would be my first choice due to the compatibiliy with modern systems, but I would settle for the original doom engine. I would also rebuild the dungeon generator entirely, as well as throw in a lot more visual variety. Maybe tinker with the conversation system a bit, but ideas for that are another thread entirely. The character creation system was the best part about it, but even that could be better balanced and enhanced (removing randomness would be my top priority, just let me make my fucking character instead of pressing a fucking roll button like a retard).

My choice maintains the old school look, character choices and atmosphere of the game while improving virtually every major issue it had, including the sluggish, clumsy gameplay, poorly designed interface, and most importantly, repetitive, shitty dungeon design.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
deuxhero said:
I meant like ToEE.

Troika tried to do that, but look how well that turned out for them. No Publisher would give them the time of day for their turn based Post-Apocalyptic game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I still stand by my opinion of Ultima 8 being slapped with a new game engine. I ran U8 on dosbox and struggled with the pixel hunting for levers and Avatar making baby steps just to climb down stairs. It was entertaining to explore this strange new world for a 15-30 minutes tops before seeking fun became harder and harder.

Dangersaurus

Novice
Interstate '76

Doesn't work well on any computers available today, even with GOG version. You pretty much need to build a Windows 95 box with a Voodoo card.

Open-world, sandbox play RPG. Oblivion with guns and bad hair.

It wasn't an RPG, but had a customizable car. Nowadays, that passes for RPG. Adding more acronyms is always better.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I'd like to be updated:

Wizardry 4 because it's an interesting variation of the classic dungeon crawler genre, both in story and in gameplay. Play the evil guy trying to escape his prison, summoning minions and slaughtering adventurers. Yay! Why it should be updated? Well, the archaic interface and the wireframe graphics (I'm not a graphics whore but wireframes are a bit too primitive for me) hinder the gameplay fun.

What engine it should use, what kind of game it should be:

Either the Wizardry 7 or the Might and Magic 3 to 5 engine. It should stay a tile-based first person blob crawler with balls-crushing difficulty. I'd probably remove the respawn enemies on game reload feature because that's just cruel, and maybe add combat experience so combat is a little more rewarding. Other than that, don't change anything except for better graphics (colorful 2D art comparable to Wiz 7) and a better interface.

Why my game would be better:

Because it has better graphics and easier to use interface, duh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jaesun said:
deuxhero said:
I meant like ToEE.

Troika tried to do that, but look how well that turned out for them. No Publisher would give them the time of day for their turn based Post-Apocalyptic game.
I think this is all fantasy and wishful thinking anyway so why not shoot for the moon? Plus the funny thing here is that they were willing to compromise and go with real-time-with-pause and they all still said no. Tim Cain must have killed someone's dog (or developed a reputation for being hard to work with while delivering a string of buggy underperformers, whichever).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom