Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The good things about Fallout 4

potatojohn

Arcane
So we've done a lot of circlejerking about how terrible it is, but what's good about it compared to other F3/NV?

Off the top of my head:

- It's not piss easy any more. Unlike New Vegas, there are actually some challenging encounters

- Companions aren't a WIN button any more. They seem to miss a lot and have trouble turning/tracking enemies

- No more dump stats. In New Vegas charisma, agility and perception were completely useless. In F4, all of the attributes seem useful

- The levels seem to be more vertical, and the AI has no trouble looking up or down

- In general the AI seems to be more alert. If you can see them, they can probably see you

- The combat animations are well done and varied

- Some of the AI has special behaviors, like the stingwings flying in circles

- The optional settlement building is pretty cool once you get used to the UI

- The armor/weapon mods are really cool

- The indoor lightning can be very nice occasionally

- Power armor is now way better. Instead of being just another armor, it has its own mechanics and upgrades, including a jetpack (!)

- The glowing sea is a cool, creepy area

- Since they added sprint the enemies seem to be faster, and are harder to get away from

- Lockpicking is harder

- Character faces don't have that bethesda-diseased look any more

potatojohn

Arcane
No they weren't.
Yeah they were.

Charisma gave some bonuses to companions (not needed at all),

perception determined how far out your radar showed enemies (mostly useless until you got ED-E, then totally useless),

agility changed how fast AP regenerated (which was only used for VATS, which was needed since NV was so easy)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Charisma gave some bonuses to companions (not needed at all),

What the hell is your definition of useful? :lol: High charisma makes your companions ridiculous killing machines, sounds pretty useful to me.

perception determined how far out your radar showed enemies (mostly useless until you got ED-E, then totally useless),

Perception is required for some perks like Better Criticals, which is one of the best perks in the game.

agility changed how fast AP regenerated (which was only used for VATS, which was needed since NV was so easy)

Agility affects reload/holster speed and AP and is required for many perks.

By your "it's not absolutely mandatory so it's useless" definition most stats in most games are useless.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
none of the attributes are "needed" strictly speaking but it's hard to argue charisma is "useless" since the bonuses it gives to companions are substantial and makes the game a breeze. agility also changed how fast you reloaded which, aside from luck, is the only way to increase damage output of ranged weapons via attributes.

potatojohn

Arcane
By your "it's not absolutely mandatory so it's useless" definition most stats in most games are useless.
They're useless in the sense that it's very stupid to put any points into them over getting intelligence (for more skill points), luck (for critical chance and gambling), or endurance (for hit points and implant slots), or strength (carry weight, but only really important with realism mods)

LizardWizard

Prophet
- It's not piss easy any more. Unlike New Vegas, there are actually some challenging encounters

You're doing it wrong. I'm nearly one shotting legendary super mutants/deathclaws on survival.. rooted/blitz plus some of the crit perks is broken as all fuck.

- Companions aren't a WIN button any more. They seem to miss a lot and have trouble turning/tracking enemies

Yeah their AI shit. That's why you throw them in power armor and for some reason they don't even drain the core. The dog also works with lone wanderer.

- No more dump stats. In New Vegas charisma, agility and perception were completely useless. In F4, all of the attributes seem useful

Int is the dump stat in 4 :M

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
That Robot at the beginning called mi "Michael".
I was pleasantly surprised.
Didn't went too far beyond that but I guess he's the only one to do so in the game.

Let's see, ignoring the Fallout part (still closer than 3) or the lack of RPG on it, the good compared to F3:

-Better difficulty. In F3 only deathclaws offered any danger, here enemies are thougher and more clever (a.k.a. less retarded). The "skill checks" are more difficult, with average CHA you aren't going to see much sucess, and you run into plenty of EXPERT locks quite early.

-Better gameworld. An illusion of real economy with farms and the like. Enemies don't seem so chaotic/evil/dumbfuck as before (most raider groups have a named leader and some basic backstory, even the SM feel less orcish now).

-Less good versus evil (haven't seen what's the Institute up to yet, can't be worse than F3 anyway). And the BOS seem to be closer to their original self, selfish but not as dicky as in NV.

-Writing *is* better (like that was difficult :lol:), haven't found many derpderpderp moments so far. There is a stupid junky/diviner lady early on, and I've just met a scientist that seems to be a Moira knock-off.

-PA would be great if you would run into it later and there was an scarcity of fussion cores. I have like 10 and I just got the 60b. But the tanky feel of it is nice.

-Making settlements could be nice, so far to me it feels fore like a gimmic, but has great potential for mods. With the help of some Loberslab produce I could finally build my own fortress/pleasure palace with plenty of fuksaks.

Overall better than F3 in almost everything. It can be a fun game as an open world sandbox shotter with RPG elements as a spin-off to Fallout 1-2-NV. Will buy it in the future with all the DLC for 10-20 moneys.

It's good for what it is.

Last edited:

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
You have bigger problems than if a game is good for what it is. I don't think it can be much better in any meaningful way. Games are just to have fun and pass some time. Making the game better won't help you with the fact you need to get a life. Grow up. the Game is fine. you're not.

ortucis

Prophet
In New Vegas after you leave the first settlement, you reach the powder gang encounter, which is pretty challenging (unless you played the game on Easiest difficulty I guess). Hell, for me first time the first encounter with power gang in first settlement was challenging too.. then in next playthroughs it became easy when I started preparing for it in advance, but it killed me twice when I first played the game after its release.

Basically, NV was challenging, esp. Deathclaws which were scary as fuck (and I kept triggering them for lulz anyway, feeling I could take them on.. then realizing there were more behind the hill who got triggered like feminists in heat).

OP probably shouldn't have played NV in easiest difficulty.

PS: Also, the animations and combat in Fallout 4 are thanks to iD software. Go play RAGE and you can see the similarities, esp. in the ghouls or undead or whatever-the-fuck they are calling them in F4. The combat animations for enemies are similar to RAGE enemies (which were awesome).

pippin

Powder gangers were there just to instruct you in the basic aspects of faction mechanics, but they ended up being a notable faction of their own, even if they were just thugs. They had their base, outposts, and even managed to occupy a vault, which has a quest that could affect one of the endings. That's pretty cool for some guys who were there just for a tutorial, mostly...

ortucis

Prophet
I ran into their base without thinking the first time around and was surprised that the game gave me an option to actually walk into the place without killing everybody.

Of course I ended up shooting the guys at the front gate and then running in realizing that everybody hates me for some reason (had to kill everyone, leveled up, good times). But the next time I played the game, I found out that there are power gang related quests inside their compound. :O

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Came into thread expecting an empty list.

Anyway, only thing better is the gunplay and extensive gun/armor mod system. That's about it. Which is sort of good since most weren't expecting anything resembling an RPG. They're better off focusing on the action because they'll never do RPG right.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Can someone explain to me why "Agility" perk has animation of Vault Boy balancing on one arm?

I saw this in Hanna Rudst..erd...ford... whatever... video.

Hm, well Codsworth is pretty cool. Avoided using him while I cased out Station Olivia and Thicket Excavation and a number of other places, but figured he'd be good for a pack mule in Lexington/the Corvega Factory. "Good job showing that terminal a thing or two, sir", balanced with his disbelief that I've been reduced to picking up rubbish off the ground. He routinely ruins ambushes I set up, while simultaneously making me wonder why I even bother my careful improvement of skills perks and equipment. He'll alert an entire pack of ghouls to our presence and then become a mechanical dervish with that saw of his. Limbs flying everywhere. Only time he got overwhelmed was against the Legendary Ghoul in the parking garage basement. "Still better than housework." After this I plan to park Codsworth back at Sanctuary and let Sturges (he of long-necked fame) bug him about tea. I like hearing his dialogue but he makes the game too easy, even on Survival.

So we'd cleared out the outer perimeter of the Corvega Factory, and I'm looking at the horizon on top of a tower. I'm guessing that's supposed to be Diamond City.

o8YXd0B.png

"I must confess, sir, this place brings back memories of the good old days."

Anyway, off to the right is something else.

RCoGxAC.png

If the place that's lit up like a rave from miles away isn't this game's equivalent of The Glow I'll eat my hat.

rado907

Savant
The game actually picks up a lot after the first 2-3 hours. Which is weird, because Bethesda typically make an effort to make the first two hours of gameplay perfect. In Oblivion you start the game in the big (and fun) city; in Skyrim you pick a faction, raid a dragon dungeon, reach a large city, and nail a dragon; and even in Fallout 3 you reach Megaton. In Fallout 4 you start with the weak intro and the horrible encounter at the Museum. And then you just goof around, since the main city (which is almost as dull as Megaton) is so far away and not on the natural path of discovery.

But after the initial horror and suffering, you end up playing a decent Bethesda title. Not as good as Skyrim or Morrowind, but perfectly playable.

I've no idea how the atrocious first two-three hours got through quality control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom