Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The good things about Fallout 4

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wish they would just stop pretending these are actual sequels to Fallout and just make the game as an FPS spin-off that uses the setting. Stop pretending they are making an RPG and just improve the shooting and such and I might actually enjoy the game.
Why does it bother you so much?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wish they would just stop pretending these are actual sequels to Fallout and just make the game as an FPS spin-off that uses the setting. Stop pretending they are making an RPG and just improve the shooting and such and I might actually enjoy the game.

Actually if they stop using the RPG tag, the sales will decrease.
I think it's a pragmatic decision to just go all out on improving the non-RPG department while still retaining the RPG tag with watered down skill system and dialogue. The main campaign felt like a rail road shooter with too many side content that could distract you.

What impresses me most with F4 is the Power Armor revamp. That was a step in the right direction that I did not explore fully yet. Jumpjets, Stealth Generator, Tesla Coil Field? That's cool and interesting. It even reacted differently with environs, you walk underwater instead of swimming, you can absorb high fall damage when you jump with armor on. You run slower, but you take damage like a tank. Pieces of armor fall off when durability drop to 0. Fantastic. That's a lot of depth for a simple piece of gear with stats back in previous Fallout. The limited fuel may piss off some fans but I like it enough. It became a non factor by end game but at start, PA is a limited asset you deploy sparingly.

The minecraft settlement bullshit? Not so much. The non-stat tied crafting was also stupid. 200 years on ice and Shaun's dad just walked out there, scrapped entire buildings and built generators enough to power up a turret and other defensive emplacements. Bullshit. Shaun's dad also knows how to make BuffJet a combination of Buffout and Jet by dipping buffout pills into Jet mixture...before swallowing them at once.

Yeah right. Try again please. That's just retarded.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's not really watered down. If anything it's more complex than New Vegas.

For example in NV half the stats were worthless, you could make a master diplomat with 1 CHA, and the only worthwhile weapon skill was called "guns" - all issues fixed by F4.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

They already did that in 1995. It was a good game, Terminator: Future Shock.

Sykar

Arcane

For example in NV half the stats were worthless, you could make a master diplomat with 1 CHA, and the only worthwhile weapon skill was called "guns" - all issues fixed by F4.

Master diplomat needed 100 Speech at least. Higher charisma affected your speech skill and gave your followers more damage and damage reduction so it was by no means a useless stat if you were playing with companions. So here you had at least 4 different possibilities to build aa character in regards to your diplomatic skills: Solo/unreliant on followers diplomat with no charisma but high speech, high charisma high speech for party friendly diplomat, high charisma no speech character who did not give a damn and then ofc no speech no charisma. FO 4 has only high charisma or low charisma and that is that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only good thing about Fo4 is that with new crafting and mod system it triggers my lizard brain that has mindless fun collecting loot in action RPGs like Path of Exile or Grim Dawn. Nothing else in it I found fun so far.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn't care less about if it's still an RPG or not, Bethesda learning by doing skill progression still had its appeal in Skyrim even though they scrapped a lot of mechanics (and rightfully so in a lot of cases, fuck acrobatics).
What I care about is if they improved their storytelling because that was bottom of the barrel in Skyrim (except for the beginning and some pretty polished inter NPC banter and environment storytelling, they improved massively in that aspect at least over Oblivion).
Better companions sounds good for example.
Let's see, ignoring the Fallout part (still closer than 3) or the lack of RPG on it, the good compared to F3:

-Better difficulty. In F3 only deathclaws offered any danger, here enemies are thougher and more clever (a.k.a. less retarded). The "skill checks" are more difficult, with average CHA you aren't going to see much sucess, and you run into plenty of EXPERT locks quite early.

-Better gameworld. An illusion of real economy with farms and the like. Enemies don't seem so chaotic/evil/dumbfuck as before (most raider groups have a named leader and some basic backstory, even the SM feel less orcish now).

-Less good versus evil (haven't seen what's the Institute up to yet, can't be worse than F3 anyway). And the BOS seem to be closer to their original self, selfish but not as dicky as in NV.

-Writing *is* better (like that was difficult :lol:), haven't found many derpderpderp moments so far. There is a stupid junky/diviner lady early on, and I've just met a scientist that seems to be a Moira knock-off.

It's good for what it is.
Better writing? I really hope so, I love postapoc SciFi and contrary to many know it all hipsters crying about how that's an old hat (what isn't?) I also like the do robots have a soul angle.
Thinking about buying it too when it gets a bit cheaper, in the end better shooter mechanics and enemy behavior are more important for a shooter disguised as an RPG than good RPG mechanics anyway. And it's not like I don't like shooters with phat gunz. ;)

TB's just grumpy that he'll probably be dead before they ironed all the bugs out (typical Bethesda) so I take his twitter comments with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's my definitive list of good things about Fallout 4 (made by Bethesda):

- Power armor

ortucis

Prophet
So I finally played this masterpiece and so far, I was using the robot as companion since in Fallout 3 I remember melee companions being the only useful ones taking all the heat while you shot enemies from safe distance. So yeah, the robot did the job and has a flamethrower as well for crowd control (like in F3). I got the robot perk for sexually fellating the feelings of a fucking robot so now robots do -10 damage to me.. not sure how that works but then again, it's the futuristic Americah.

Anyway, finally decided to get more companion perks by asking the only other companion I know, that Minuteman twat in the sanctuary.

During combat, this is how both companions function:

Robot:
- Always walks so fucking close to you that you have to push him out of the way in close quarters. Not a big deal but it is annoying.
- Charges into enemies, attracting their attention to himself and away from you.
- Melees them and uses flamethrower (I think) when more than two enemies are present.

Minuteman Twat:
- Stands and walks way, way, waaaay behind you. In-fact, I teleported to a new area and he started running away from me and circled around a huge road to reach me.
- Stays back and tactically watches all enemies swarm around you. But he always does mention that the danger is around. Doesn't do anything about it though.
- Has a ranged weapon and unlike F3, you can't make human companions wear custom armor and weapons (I only tried it with 2-3 weapons and armors though). Oh and he uses the ranged weapon when enemies are close enough for a person to punch them.
- Basically, enemies swarm at you, he occasionally shoots one when that one decides to attack him.

Neat. Can't wait to find other NPC's and completely ignore them from now on. Stick to the robot or some melee companion other than him. The only AI in this game that works is the melee AI with "charge blindly at opponent". Proof is that you can take out other ranged enemies who can't seem to hit you unless you are right next to them, while the only enemies who will ever manage to do serious damage are the melee ones who actually DO hit you. Well them and fucking nuclear explosions from a car or a barrel detonating next to you.

Majority of the times I have died in this game (playing on Hard) is because of the explosions, because I keep forgetting that everything in this game has a nuclear bomb inside of it.

Oh and I've used the power armor in only the first mission where they made us kill the Deathclaw. I actually completely forgot about it until this post. I should probably use it but so far, only thing killing me is the explosions. I have collected like 10 cores for it I think. I actually used power armor in NV a lot since it was the best and ugliest looking Storm Trooper armor you can get in Fallout.

PS: Still not sure what people are complaining about when it comes to storytelling. This is same level of writing quality you saw in Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim.. in-fact, I think it's slightly less shit than those games. Were people actually expecting something better after sitting through Skyrim? At least Fallout has a interesting setting than retarded TES universe. Maybe that's why despite fucking it over, it's more tolerable than Skyrim.

PPS: The Covenants were THE most dumbest fucking thing I've encountered in this game so far. I killed them all the moment their doctor stopped talking (I walked in without violence thanks to my high Charisma.. +1 from a hat, glasses and +2 from red dress). The emails you read on their computers after killing them made it even worse. I am pretty sure Bethesda expects us to take sides between Synths and Covenant. I'd rather side with the dumb-fucks turning people into robots than idiots killing random people after asking stupid questions which don't even work most of the time. Hell, I would've let them live if they were just Canibal's trying to survive.

Last edited:
Yes, it is piss easy. You just need to make a combat character.

Yeah, with the proper build is quite easy. Since my PC only allows me to play in the 25-30 FPS range i have to rely on VATS and some extra PER points make it way easier. But F3 is by far easier.

All the pros I listed before are compared to F3, so is not like we are talking about a masterpiece, but it could be an entertaining game depending or what you are looking for. Personally I see it as an improvement over F3 as a game (and thematically/worldbuilding wise is not a worse Fallout), but they completly butchered the RPG part. In Skyrim at least the Perk system added something that wasn't there before, but the changes to the F4 character system are a net lose.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Companion armor and weapons

Trade with them and you should be able to get them to wear the custom armor and weapons (T by default, I believe). That said, doing this doesn't fix the AI. The best you can do is mitigate it a bit by giving them a high damage automatic weapon. In my case, I gave Preston a souped up Plasma repeater and all my plasma cells. He still only attacks people once they're breathing down his neck and he does his best to not follow you, but at least he can actually kill the stuff that attacks him.

EDIT: I tried putting companions in power armor. Its not the worst idea buttt because they're incapable of taking cover and sniping at enemies, the armor pieces end up broken after a few fire-fights. Especially when the enemies spam grenades and molotovs.

ortucis

Prophet
Played some more and came to a conclusion.

Fallout 4 is a better shooter+RPG hybrid than Borderlands 1 and 2.

The reason why I am playing F4 isn't because of quality of story and characters, no those are on the same level as the Fallout 3/Skyrim before them. Nope, it's the combat and crafting. I am pretty sure they got someone from iD software to help them in this area. You can see resemblance between animations during combat in F4 and RAGE. Not to mention, crafting is almost similar to the crafting in RAGE. It's a good thing.

I have a custom "Legendary" laser rifle which I have modded to do fire damage with semi-auto fire mod. It's pretty satisfying to shoot and enemies do react (a bit) to getting shot or set to fire, similar to RAGE.

So there you go. Bethesda wanted to clone Borderlands 2 while throwing in Facebook games-like leveling up. Players keep getting level ups (and upgrades) every 2-3 quests completed and don't have to wait for gradual increase in XP required to level-up, like in other RPG's. No wonder this game is a hit. Most people are into lite-RPG's like Borderlands these days. Bethesda knew who they were targeting (and no, it isn't the fans who love Fallout 1&2).

Also, the dialogue system is way more simpler than the one in Mass Effect. Most of the time, you are selecting UP (Investigate from Mass Effect) or DOWN option. I haven't used the RIGHT (Sarcastic?) one at all since all of them are beyond stupid. LEFT option occasionally turns into another UP (Investigate). Not really sure what they were going for here but it's an awful system compared to Fallout 3.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:mob:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Some commentary is golden
arc-olivier Johnson Oh shut up. My personality is my own, my voice is my own, my humor is my own, my commentary is own. "Stop trying so hard" There is no trying involved, you just have obviously limited interactions with people and want to project that someone is being "fake" when they're not being "like you" or how you want them to act. Which is stupid. You can't just not like my personality, huh? No, its just wrong, its not right, it doesn't fit your box and so I'm the one that has to change? Get over yourself,

Lhynn

Arcane
His mod makes it heavier then.
They should weight 10 pounds each imho, and poison you for one point less damage than they heal. They should also cripple a random part of your body when used, and force you to close your eyes every 5 seconds.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They should weight 10 pounds each imho, and poison you for one point less damage than they heal. They should also cripple a random part of your body when used, and force you to close your eyes every 5 seconds.
That's a bit excessive. :M

Should just be addicting.

Lhynn

Arcane
The idea of making a small hypodermic needle weight significantly more than a bottle cap is retarded. Tho i can understand its for balance reasons, after all the game essentially lets you pause and heal whenever you want. But replacements are not really needed, just make them more rare.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom