Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The good things about Fallout 4

Not as much. If melee guy gets hit too hard too often he can choose to carry more stimpacks in detriment of other items, but if you make them rare he'll have no choice other than hit-and-run sucker punch everything. Melee guy isn't carrying guns and ammo anyway so he has the weight to spare.

Lhynn

Arcane
He also gets to carry more stuff to trade with medics for the more expensive stimpacks that are otherwise a rarity.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I don't want to comment on the quality of the game, I just want to point the good job in optimization.

I have an A6 AMD@2.9, R7 260x card and 8 gigs of RAM and I play with steady FPS in medium/high settings.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not really watered down. If anything it's more complex than New Vegas.

For example in NV half the stats were worthless, you could make a master diplomat with 1 CHA, and the only worthwhile weapon skill was called "guns" - all issues fixed by F4.
This ignores the fact that FO3 and NV (to a higher degree) were based around skill checks not SPECIAL attribute checks. That SPECIAL attributes do more in FO4 is irrelevant. They do more because they got rid of skills. It's a pretty terrible system because it prevents you from specializing in things. For example, if I want to pick harder locks in New Vegas early on I can dump a bunch of points into lockpicking. In Fallout 4 I have to be level 7 before I can pick expert locks and level 18 before I can pick master locks because of how the perk system works. It's moronic.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This ignores the fact that FO3 and NV (to a higher degree) were based around skill checks not SPECIAL attribute checks. That SPECIAL attributes do more in FO4 is irrelevant. They do more because they got rid of skills. It's a pretty terrible system because it prevents you from specializing in things. For example, if I want to pick harder locks in New Vegas early on I can dump a bunch of points into lockpicking. In Fallout 4 I have to be level 7 before I can pick expert locks and level 18 before I can pick master locks because of how the perk system works. It's moronic.

I agree with your point but one small amount of incline - I do like the hard requirements for lock picking / hacking.
In Skyrim you can have a level 1 lockpicking skill and open the most difficult chests in the game as long as you have a few picks to blow through finding the right spot.

Which.. okay fine.. not a huge balance issue (chests felt mostly scaled anyways) but that made the lockpick tree completely useless.
In almost every mod that adds new trees to the leveling up screen - lockpick is the first one to get swapped / axed.

potatojohn

Arcane
This ignores the fact that FO3 and NV (to a higher degree) were based around skill checks not SPECIAL attribute checks.
Which made those attributes useless. I have no idea why people keep defending that system, it was way stupider than F4's.
It's a pretty terrible system because it prevents you from specializing in things. For example, if I want to pick harder locks in New Vegas early on I can dump a bunch of points into lockpicking. In Fallout 4 I have to be level 7 before I can pick expert locks and level 18 before I can pick master locks because of how the perk system works.
Except it doesn't really prevent you from specializing. There are over 250 perk points to spend. By level 18 you'll have gotten at most 7% of them - you can be plenty specialized.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Which made those attributes useless. I have no idea why people keep defending that system, it was way stupider than F4's.

Except it doesn't really prevent you from specializing. There are over 250 perk points to spend. By level 18 you'll have gotten at most 7% of them - you can be plenty specialized.
Obviously you missed my point. It creates artificial barriers to how much you can progress in one area. Why do you have to be level 7 to open a certain type of lock?

I agree with your point but one small amount of incline - I do like the hard requirements for lock picking / hacking.
In Skyrim you can have a level 1 lockpicking skill and open the most difficult chests in the game as long as you have a few picks to blow through finding the right spot.
The hard requirements were already present in FO3/NV in the form of skill tiers.

potatojohn

Arcane
Obviously you missed my point. It creates artificial barriers to how much you can progress in one area. Why do you have to be level 7 to open a certain type of lock?
*Shrug*

Why do you have to be level 24 to be a sniper in F2?

I do like the dynamics this incarnation of Power Armors add to the game. Leave your suit sitting out in the open with a Fusion Core in enemy territory? Congratulation dumb ass, it's probably been stolen. Have an extra suit and FCs and a settlement prone to getting attacked? Put it nearby your main guard post and someone will hop inside during battle and beat the opposing forces to death with their bare hands. Raider in power armor? Sneak up and steal their Fusion Core, then shank them when they hop out.

If they had introduced the concept later on in the game, and had a limiting factor be your own inability to reliably maintain it instead of a limited power gimmick...one of the positive points for joining the BoS would be lessons on upkeep, maybe new resources or a better suit altogether. People really obsessed with their armor would have to struggle with the choice if they preferred a competing faction more.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Umm ... don't you also have to gain a few levels to "dump a few points into lockpicking"? Where's the difference exactly, that it doesn't say on the box at which level you have enough skill points for the task at hand? :lol:
I mean I don't know how the perk system works in FO4, but Skyrim for instance enforces specialization much more than any previous Elder Scrolls exactly because of the perk system and the limited amount of perks (before the Legendary edition at least ... mods can fix it).

Sykar

Arcane
Umm ... don't you also have to gain a few levels to "dump a few points into lockpicking"? Where's the difference exactly, that it doesn't say on the box at which level you have enough skill points for the task at hand? :lol:
I mean I don't know how the perk system works in FO4, but Skyrim for instance enforces specialization much more than any previous Elder Scrolls exactly because of the perk system and the limited amount of perks (before the Legendary edition at least ... mods can fix it).

The difference is that I can be a master at lockpicking with any attribute distribution as long as I get 100 ranks in lockpicking and perks were optional like getting an additional try on the lock for example. In FO 4 it is tied to 4 PE and 3 ranks in loksmith perk and that is it.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I saw a friend of mine play a BOS quest this weekend. I still think the game sucks, but here's what was done right IMO:

• The power armor is very cool. The awe it inspires is similar to the original Fallout. The refueling mechanism doesn't make sense in Fallout canon, but apart from that the overall vibe is done very well. A-
  • The retro-futurism is done very well in certain places. Arcjet is spot on. I only saw my pal run from the BOS compound to Arcjet and I never played past Greygarden myself before refunding my game and up to then everything except the cars and kitchens sucked, so it might be a fluke. B
  • The shooting feels OK-ish. It's more of a reasonable shooter than a terrible RPG. C
  • My pal is a minecraft fiend and he was ecstatic about the crafting elements. Weapons crafting is awesome and the base building has potential, but the implementation is horrible. PC version should just have an overhead mouse interface for that. C-

That's it, I guess. Everything else is sub-par. If Bethesda employed actual writers it might have been a good game. I'm clearly not the target audience and still think FO4 sucks, but I it's better than PoE. Give me dumb assholes making mindless nonsense in a retarded version of a world I love over pretentious, bloated writing in a derivative, soulless 'THIS IS NOT D&D' world any time.

I think it's amazing that a tiny team on a shoestring budget like Iron Tower produced a far more interesting game than Fo4. Throwing the GDP of a small country at mediocre talent is only going to get you so far. What are the chances of Bethesda putting on Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson and Scott Campbell as consultants? They got the iD guys to teach them how to to an FPS, after all. Maybe get the Fallout guys to teach them how to do Fallout...

Then again, in all areas but artistic merit, they've exceeded the success of the original immensely so I'm not sure what their motivation would be for such a move. One can only dream.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
So beth successfully put borderlands into skyrim, and then proceeded to call it fallout 4.

Gord

Arcane
The difference is that I can be a master at lockpicking with any attribute distribution as long as I get 100 ranks in lockpicking and perks were optional like getting an additional try on the lock for example. In FO 4 it is tied to 4 PE and 3 ranks in loksmith perk and that is it.

I'm not a big fan of FO4's system, but that line of critique strikes me as a bit odd.
In the older parts it was tied to your skill-level, now it seems (don't own it) tied to the amount of perks you invested. Both require you to level up a few times and invest something into the skill.
The earlier parts are more flexible, of course, but SPECIAL requirements are not such a bad thing per se.

Sykar

Arcane
I'm not a big fan of FO4's system, but that line of critique strikes me as a bit odd.
In the older parts it was tied to your skill-level, now it seems (don't own it) tied to the amount of perks you invested. Both require you to level up a few times and invest something into the skill.
The earlier parts are more flexible, of course, but SPECIAL requirements are not such a bad thing per se.

It is terms of flexibility and potential amount of character builds.
The removal of skills neutered an entire layer of character customization and for me that is a huge part of a cRPG, planning out my character out of a huge amount of posible builds into a synergistic well oiled "machine".

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That is reasonable. They could have even made it so that you can only find one core and then have to switch it between suits and then give different types of PA like with jet pack, high armor, extra utility, etc.

Yea or maybe your core has a X amount of output and you need to upgrade it to support more mods / stuff..
Any of this would have made Power Suits more interesting or exciting.. instead of just another dust collector at sanctuary.

AFAIK from Fallout 1, these cores last ~200ish years? Someone confirm with armchair wiki skills. It's nice they have them in the game but then just completely ruin how they worked.

baturinsky

Arcane
I think this game a good foundation for mods, much like NVN. Lots of good mechanics that game uses to a very little extent of their potential. It's mind boggling what can be built upon the settlement system alone.

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
Fuck her. I sold her wedding ring to the first trader! It was her idea to talk to that Vault Tec representative. And the child is the postman's anyways.
are you a woman

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom